Any /golfbois/ here? I want a GTI but don't want to pay 10k more. Can I just get a base golf, put in a ECU...

Any /golfbois/ here? I want a GTI but don't want to pay 10k more. Can I just get a base golf, put in a ECU, slap on some tires, get some better air flow and essentially have a GTI for less?

Other urls found in this thread:

langanvernonvw.com/inventory/certified-used-2015-volkswagen-golf-tdi-s-4-door-fwd-4d-hatchback-3vw2a7au0fm021658
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I meant wheels. slap on new wheels, and tires.

>base golf

What country are we talking here?

No, that's not how it works

I have a Mk7 GTI, I'd honestly get a golf for a dd and get another car as a project/weekend car. Shoot any questions I'll answer them

The base golf has like 170hp? The gti is pretty underrated and makes well over 220 so it's a pretty big difference.

Has anyone done an lpg conversion on a golf tsi engine? any problems?

How would, say a Toyota Corolla compare to a base Golf?

I'm gonna assume you mean the Corolla iM which is the hatchback version and is most comparable to the Golf but either way the same points will stand. I've driven and ridden in both.

>Golf Pros and Cons
+Best interior compared to any of it's competitors at this price point
+Lots of power for the price, 170 hp stock with a turbo puts out plenty of grunt and allows for multiple tuning options
+Vanilla exterior looks pretty sleek compared to the more sharp and angular design of other modern cars
+6 Speed manual and DSG are pretty good, dual clutch automatic is very good compared to competitors usual CVT automatics
+Upgraded Infotainment is clean, easy to read with physical buttons and knobs

-Turbocharged, less reliable than a naturally aspirated engine
-Repair and maintenance costs are probably the highest of it's competitors at it's price point
-DSG Dual clutch is a good transmission however it is bad a low speeds and in traffic. First to second gear can be a rough ride and downshifting can be rough under braking

>Corolla iM Pros and Cons

+Better ride quality than the Golf
+Better MPGs
+Cheaper to purchase
+Cheaper maintenance and repair

-Less interior storage, passenger space, headroom (only by an inch or two in each category, still something to note)
-Infotainment isn't as good as the Golf but is better than it's competitors. Slower and looks worse than the Golf's but has physical knobs and button compared to Honda

TL;DR get the Golf if you can afford to maintain it and privilege the superior power and handling over the Corolla but get the iM if you are looking for a cheaper and more reliable hatchback.

>Corolla
-not as exciting to drive as the golf

I was thinking I would try and get that 0-60 speed down to high 5-6. is this doable with any mods?

that is only a 50hp difference. can't a ecu pretty much close the gap?

get a used gti

already ordered a base golf on a black Friday deal got a 2016 w 40k miles for $9k could not pass that up.

USA (land of the free)

A 1.8T with boltons and a tune will be comparable in power to the 2.0t stock. However, the GTI offers a limited slip differential, more torque with the larger displacement, and bucket seats. The 2.0t will also obviously make more power when modified compared to the 1.8t when modified.

Is there any difference with the suspension?

>buying a cuckbox for performance in the land of cheap v8s
kys

tru but I want someone smaller, lighter, and with a hatch.

why? you're not gonna fill that shit up on a daily or weekly basis.

I just like hatches.

Turbo an AWD SX4 and you got a R.

move to yurop.

I'm white I don't think they'd let me in.

>coming from a country that's 56% white lmao

Yeah I know, but the joke is that yurop only wants to take in brown people.

for the iM would the CVT or 6 speed be better? I end up in stop and go traffic a few times a week

There are a lot of people who has put the is20 turbo from the Mk7 GTI or even the is30 from the Golf R onto a 1.8T in the base golf and made some seriously fast hatches. That said, by the time you drop a 2-3 grand on a turbo and tune, you could have just bought a GTI. They can be found waaaay under MSRP.

Personally I love seeing the look of confusion on the faces of those dudes in cheap V8s as i watch their hemi badged barges disappear in the rearview mirror of my cuckbox.

...why not just get a GTI? They're going for under $20k nowadays...

which would be better as a daily driver? stock 1.8t golf or the gti? I think i'd be worried about the larger wheels on the gti getting damaged in potholes

I daily a GTI and the roads here are pretty shitty. I try my best to avoid big potholes, but I'd do that in any car. I also have a Golf Sportwagen with stock 16s, and it's a much more forgiving ride. The GTI's still pretty comfy, tho.

how about in terms of general reliability? also why do the sportwagens seem to get a lot more hype on the vw forums vs the regular golf

In terms of reliability, a Golf is a Golf. Granted, you may want to thrash on the GTI a bit more, but i hammered on my previous Mk5 Golf Wolfsburg pretty hard too. The Sportwagen love is just a meme. For me, it's a combination of a car that has more space than most crossover SUVs, but rides and handles like a Golf, plus diesel economy and torque.

I really wanted a TDI golf but it seems like the few dealers that still have some used ones are charging just 1-2k less than a brand new golf. i'm guessing it would be smarter to just get the new gasser

Yeah, the TDIs hold their value, especially now that is expected that the 2015s are the last ones to ever come to the States. That said, the ones that get the fix also get a new warranty that covers pretty much everything mechanical or electrical except the transmission. On the 2015s, it's good for 11 years or 132k miles, whichever is greater.

if you have to ask that question you should kys.

oh damn, didn't know about the extended warranty. might reconsider now

does this seem like a fair deal?
langanvernonvw.com/inventory/certified-used-2015-volkswagen-golf-tdi-s-4-door-fwd-4d-hatchback-3vw2a7au0fm021658

>S
into the trash it goes. get an sel.

Hell yeah.

Yeah, if you want a sunroof that leaks.

It's also not a manual. it's garbage.

The DSG is a technological marvel.

don't give the Toyota shill such a hard time, you know they're trying very desperately to dissociate from the 'boring appliance' meme.

>wanting an econobox to be a technological marvel
an econobox should be as cheap and simple as possible. An s-class should be a technological marvel. a civic for 3k that averages 33mpg would be a much wiser purchase. it'd take a decade at least to break even on a 16k diesel golf.

>DSG Dual clutch ... is bad a low speeds and in traffic
I've heard this in the reviews. Just how bad is it? I'm on the edge for buying a MK7, but I sit in traffic twice a week when going to class in the morning rush-hour.

saw a sel at a different dealer, asking 22k for it. not worth it IMO

The DSG is a marvel, regardless. It's why it's the only option available on cars like the facelift R8 and the Veyron. If you can get supercar tech in a sub-$20k car, why not?

because supercar tech = expensive to fix when it goes wrong. and it's vw so it will go wrong.

It's different from a slushbox, but you learn to drive it differently. It's not bad at all.

DSG problems are actually pretty rare. I put over 200k miles on the DSG in a Mk5 with no problems at all.

they're still rated 1/5 for reliability on consumer reports and 3/5 for owner satisfaction. these are self-reported by readers.

Yeah, by a bunch of retard normies who expected it to drive like the CVT in their wife's boyfriend's Prius and never bothered to perform the scheduled maintenance...

going to have to go down to a VW dealer and drive these in person... I do really like the mpg's and grunt of the diesel but I don't know if it's a good choice to get one for 15-18k when you could have a brand new golf or gti with updated features for nearly the same price... do the diesels possibly have better longevity?

spending 16k on any econobox is a mistake.

Haven't heard too many bad things about the CVTs Toyotas been using lately but it's all preference honestly. Auto or Manual.

I'll try to describe it best I can.
First gear in traffic jerks forward and sounds like a straight cut gear
Downshifting into second under braking utilizes engine braking immensely and jerks everyone forward
Third and up are fine

The maintenance is also pretty expensive compared to other autos

Looking to get my first ever car. Would an early 2000s 5 door diesel golf be a good car? 4K.

Good car, possibly not worth 4k depending on the mileage. How many miles? Any rust? Any pictures?

Too late, it was taken down

If it was a mk5 1.9 TDI, get one. I had one for my first car and passed it down to a sibling (after thrashing it daily, running it with no oil, running it on petrol until it stopped multiple times and very rarely servicing it). Those engines are so bloody good and the torque once you hit boost is satisfying. Feels like you're in a fast car until 140kmph. It's still running perfectly fine. It'd get 1100-1200km per tank too.

Golf Mk3 with 2.0l or first gen Audi A3 with 1.8L (non turbo)?

>tfw too poor to be a golf boy so instead you’re a polo boy

People say nice golf but deep down I know it’s all a disgusting lie they say to make me feel better

Polo is pretty based though, I mean what does the golf have that the Polo doesnt? Besides Mk3 and Mk4 I mean, those are fuck ugly

>literally just a golf but smaller and lighter

It's better user.

from what I've hear the 2.0l non turbo is a really solid engine. Great reliability and cheap parts at the cost of less power is an even trade-off. Mk3 interior pieces and body panels are pretty cheap so the Golf will be cheaper to maintain but imo the A3 looks nicer

Only lower and stiffer srpings, iirc.

Can confirm the 2.slow will not die.

Just drop in a Hartley V8 (two hayabusa engines)

we accept you user. I have nothing against polos

In what car? A GTI will do that stock. If you mean a 1.8t golf then just add intake, downpipe and a tune and you'll get that number down low

I have a mk7 with APR stage 1 and a set of BBS SR wheels. Best daily that’s not a golf R.

Love the color, would've picked red if I had the chance