How do you even know what gear it is when you drive manual?

How do you even know what gear it is when you drive manual?

just watch initial d

muscle memory

Most of the time you can tell by looking it at. If in doubt while driving just push the clutch pedal in shift to neutral then to your desired gear.

is this board filled with braindead American teenagers? jesus christ

this

Even as someone who was once an American teenager, this was obvious to me then.

or just look at the speedometer/tachometer and listen to the engine

By heart.

muscle memory
engine noise at certain speeds
how fast it accelerates when planted

Speed and position.
Take your picture for example, if you're doing 70km/h and the stick it 'up' then it's probably not first and probably not 5th unless you're lugging it.

by consciously keeping track of your shifts.
then it doesn't take long before you don't have to mentally keep track anymore because muscle memory and this

you aren't in the in-between gears for very long, you spend most of the time in cruising gear, and because of that you tend to remember what gear its in because you just put it there less than 10 seconds ago.

it also somewhat doesn't matter for most driving; as speeds and conditions change, you're normally going to select the next highest or next lowest gear, which you can pick by moving the stick along a set vector without actually knowing what gear the stick is in

How do you not?

Even when learning stick I didn't have trouble knowing what gear I was in, or what gear I needed to move to.

On the motorcycle I can't remember what gear I in but it doesn't matter anyways. I am always in sixth gear trying to shift into imaginary seventh but hitting that stopper on the shifter.

Put your hand on the stick and its position will tell you.

It's dangerous to only have one hand on the wheel

its dangerous to drive. just walk user.

It's dangerous to drive , period.

feel

By touching it? Can't you seriously remember 5 different position in your brain?

pretty much this.
even in when student driving in CDL school the instructor sitting in the passenger seat could put their hand on the stick at anytime and tell exactly what gear it was in without even looking

on my dual sport i'm always in 5th, trying to shift in to that non-existent 6th gear

I do that as well. on the highway, every so often i'll just try and shift up another gear if its there. I can only assume it's not harmful to the bike to do that?

I just know by the speed and RPM.
If for whatever reason I don't, I know I need to shift down and shift down, whatever gear I'm in. If I need to shift up, I shift up, whatever gear I'm in.

The fact that some people _NEED_ a gear indicator simply baffles me.

you are all autistic americans

the trick is that you actually dont even have to move the stick

all you do is move it up or down and itll end up in the gear you want to have it

i never had an automatic in my entire life like most germans so we just do what we do u know

its second nature for me but im going to get an automatic iin a few months since all new cars have these fancy Dual Clutch Transmissions nowadays

On my 50 cc I always tray to shift into a nonexistant 5th gear at around 7500 rpm

You remember.

Knowing how fast you should be going for a given gear also helps, i.e. first for 0-15, second for 15-40 etc.

Looking at the shifter is pointless and distracting.

I count on my fingers with my right hand

by not having the memory of a bacterial cell

Spooder senses

6th gear is the fastest so it's best to just start there, unless you're a pussy

When I first started riding bicycles I used to think that 5th was 1st. Because you want to be 1st, which means that the fastest sanic gear had to be 1st.

By actually remembering what gear you just shifted to. If youre not retarded you could tell by how fast you are going and what rpm

>How do you even know what gear it is when you drive manual?
Manual gear box doesn't change gears on its own. So the rule is extremely easy: you are in gear which you did select the last time.

I think some countries like australia have a shift pattern as a requirement or a cop can defect the car on the spot. Either on the knob or nearby, like a sticker.

Personally I am never in doubt which gear I am in, and I think it's easier to forget the gear on a bicycle than a car, and i still never forget either.
You should just KNOW which gear you are in, no need to shift back into neutral.

Guys, I want to walk forward, but how do you even know where your left foot is after putting your right foot forward?

>How do you even know what gear it is when you drive manual?
You're the one passing them.
If you can't count to five or six, then you probably shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a car.

It's dangerous to shift gears in manual then.
Hell, it's dangerous to live, since you can die, and that's still the least of your worries.

You need only to grab the stick to be able to tell what gear you are on, not to hold it continuously.

kys amerimongrel

He means indicator on dashboard, not on knob.
Probably. Because reverse gear placement is very different between cars ant pattern picture is must-have (on stock knob at least).

going too fast or slow relative to throttle input

Yes

If you're in first you know
If you're in second you know
If you're in third you want fourth so you know
If you're not shifting you're in fourth
If you're in fifth you know because the last thing you did was an awkward, janky shift

wouldve been better if you put fellas

>needing to know which gear you're in

You look at the stick, or at the speed and RPM. It's really not that hard. Just buy a manual and you won't have to ask stupid questions, user.

This isn't wrong for the most part

i do this shit all the time, it’s annoying when downshifting at a stop because first gear is a bitch to rev match into, and i always do it accidentally

just remember to match your revs from before when you pull the clutch back in

this pretty well sums it up

Having short term memory usually helps.

Not being retarded.

You know because you put it there you fucking retard

>all you do is move it up or down and itll end up in the gear you want to have it
>tfw grinding into second

My gf asks this question Often, along with things like why the h pattern on the shift knob doesn’t light up to help you see what gear you’re in. The whole concept really just escapes her, bless her heart. A lot of times I look over to the passenger seat and catch her just staring intently at the shift knob with a quizzical look on her face.

That being said I forget what gear im in all the goddamned time and have to rely on the position of the shifter to remind me. This is also the same reason I despise paddle shifters

Revs on the tach and your speed plus muscle memory from the shifter. Also checked those are some nice digits

you use your memory, anyone with an iq above 80 can do it, seriously

I don't know why this specific post made me laugh so much, albeit being a true post.

I'm also surprised a bait thread got so many replies.

By not being braindead.

>fifth-awkward, janky shift
Fucking this, sixth gear is nicer though
also
>muscle memory
If I'm cruising along in 4th and I happen to forget what gear I'm in, just placing my hand back on the shifter I automatically know what gear I'm in in relation to where my hand is in space.

On most cars, the engine noise and vibrations are at a minimum between 1000 and 3000 RPM. If it shakes or is loud, chances are you're in the wrong gear (although some cases you need the higher RPM range).

Fifth is ok unless you're downshifting to it. Never wants to go in

this

I dkn't really know, that's why I only use 3rd gear

You put it there, thats why
Although sometimes I'm in 5th when really I think I'm in 3rd, but thats what I get for driving a slow ass car

And then there was this one time I tried to start from a dead stop in 3rd...

please tell me nobody actually needs to look at the shift knob to know what gear the car is in
you should be able to tell from the speed you're going and from how loud the engine is
there is no reason to look at your interior while driving, do you also watch your hands while steering

muscle memory
engine noise and speed
just look at it

if all of the above fails, put the clutch in and try and move it to neutral

>t. burger

my ex would often ask my questions about driving and I'd try to explain it, but always finish with "it's like riding a bike, you just know how to do it" and the look she gave always made me think she wasn't really satisfied with the answer

maybe but who drives with both hands on the steering wheel? like, i used to when i first started driving and in driving school but nowadays, i just have my left hand on the wheel and my right hand in my lap. i used to keep it on the stick.

your mom keeps her hand on the "stick" when she's in my car

niiiice one buddy, you definetly got me there
hey, finish your homework early and i'll get you ice cream, ok pal?

>engine noise at certain speeds
This.

>tfw no sixth on bike or car
Five already feels excessive for the car. I'd be good with 4 with a big engine. I'm slowly turning into an american

I've got the opposite, my car really needs 6th. It's a lovely gearbox with 5 very close ratios but it clocks about 3500rpm at motorway speeds. It doesn't use a huge amount of fuel given the revs and actually sits pretty quietly for it but an extra cog would be grand.

Swift Sport?

sensiblechuckle.mov

Are you kidding me?
If I'm doing 60mph during a commute, of course I'm in the highest gear.
If I'm hooning about or on the track, I consciously keep track of it. I know what gear I'm in when I'm entering a turn.

It's not that fucking hard.

nah, fiesta metal
pretty similar cars all told though

>Drive CVT
>Always in desired gear
WHAT NOW MANUALFAGS?

wtf are americans really this stupid?

this pretty much

>get manual car
>Jerky as fuck

I was driving with my knees a few months after getting my learners, and my parents never practiced with me

How has nobody told your dumb ass that it tells you the gear, right there on the shifter?

>shifting using right hand
>holding the steering with weaker hand

Theres a reason everything is auto in the us, so just stick to it for your safety and everyone else around you.

Driving manual is just not feasible on your road system, and the only safe racing type there is straight line.

Just my 2 cents.

My car has a stick that automatically returns to the neutral position between 3 and 4 if you don't put it in a gear. Fucking best thing ever you can shift with a single finger

Gear indicator on dash

>how do you know what leg you have to lift to walk forward?

By driving for some time numbnut, your brain allocates some space which automatically knows what gear you are in, you do not even actively think about it. If you drive for a year or something you even know how many gears you have to shift down when braking without looking at the speed, imagine that.

You do not need a fucking strong hand to steer and even if you did, if you are not braindmaged and painfully slow, you will have more than enough time to shift AND to steer with both hands.
You ameriburgers are just searching for excuses, nothing else.

This is not true; my MR2 pops out of fifth all the time!

I'm and a swift sport
I've put it in fifth once since I started driving it

>drive cvt
>always in some predetermined ratio because people couldn't deal with no shifts

>lugging at 70 on 5
What gutless shitbox do you drive

What car?

Every car has a sprung gearstick now

Every manual you've encountered?

It feels pretty obvious.