Y'all always shit posting that it's too slow but I drove the 6AT and it felt fast enough for 200hp...

Y'all always shit posting that it's too slow but I drove the 6AT and it felt fast enough for 200hp, sure it could be faster but the handling is what this car is all about isn't it?

I noticed the torque dip, it's pretty bad, you just feel nothing and then the power comes back but the handling is God level awesome, it felt so planted on the highway. I also noticed the blind spot, it's pretty bad in my opinion but I can fix that by adjusting my mirrors farther out, however, that's really the only thing I didn't like about it. The seats were comfy, the radio was nearby, the steering wheel was good, the pedals felt nice, the RWD is definitely new to me I took it very slow in the corners and will need to build up my tolerance but its definitely manageable. Once I throw some real grippy tires on there it would be fine.

What are the other quirks you guys don't like about the 86? Besides speed and torque dip.

Other urls found in this thread:

toyotaofcharleston.com/new/Toyota/2017-Toyota-86-863ac4e00a0e0ae965f9dd848ad19ca3.htm
youtu.be/lgUuRVkgJmg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

More pics

handling?
don't they have prius tyres specifically so they can go sideways and generally handle like shit?

I have no problems with the 86 aside from it being laughably underpowered.

It really is slow as shit for it's price and category.

If you live somewhere with windy roads that have low speeds limits, go for it.

They have very little body roll due to their low center of gravity and stiff suspension. That's what people are referring to when they talk about the handling.

There's no reason to get an 86 when the similarly priced v6 camaro or ecoboost mustang out perform and out handle it with better interiors.

I'm coming from a Toyota Camry and Hyundai Sonata, so the handling was very appealing to me, they're supposed to slide but they can also be used as GT cars which will be my particular use case (daily driving) so I would throw some grippy Pirelli or Michelin on it for my driving (highway crusing) the driving feel and handling is the best out of every car I've driven and I've driven some Acuras, Lexus, Audis etc. The car just feels so planted to the road in corners and on heavy braking, you never feel like you're losing it
Yeah I can tell the power is a problem and why people say so but for $17k USD used, with only 20k miles it's very appealing for the price compared to a Mustang or Camaro, and the handling for this is much better and more passionate than those two cars

>What are the other quirks you guys don't like about the 86?
First off, fuck off Doug.

>twenty seven thousand dollars for a base model
>road noise from hell
>interior is cheap and rattles. Unacceptable.
>Toyota knows they’re overpricing them and absolutely do not give a fuck about the quality, as proven by lifting the hood of any 860 Special Edition in orange color. Check dat overspray on the WHITE bay boys
>clutch feels exactly like the one in the gf’s Kia Soul
>what the fuck is that cup holder tray thing that ””””fits”””” in the center console
>seating position too high

I’ll think of more, give it time

>having to pay for a car and then having to spend more to fix the manufacturers mistakes
yeah no they're not cheap enough for that yet

>AT
If you want stickier tires just buy stickier tires dude. Do you think you have to leave a car stock?
If this car was labelled a Miata 2+2 would you have a problem with the power?

For the price, you shouldn’t have to do anything to the car

>the handling is God level awesome, it felt so planted on the highway
top kek OP

Build quality was good enough too, everything I touch was good quality it's just the stuff I never will touch that's cheap plastic but at least it's not the cheapest Honda plastic and there is aftermarket for every part to add suede or leather to it if I want

The mirrors are also very nice and big enough to see behind you and the next lane so with the right adjustments it would be alright

27000 base seems wrong, should be 24. Clutch is also apparently fixed by fiddling with the spring for those who want better feel. It's just a 2+2 Miata.

You wouldn't touch a single thing on a new Miata?

that pigfat americans such as me cant live with only 200hp wtf is this shit 200 its like nothing how
can i savely merge with this

>Not wanting to bury your dick in that ass to merge every time
It's like you don't want to feel the eurobeat pulsing through you

handling means how easy the car is to control, not how 'sporty' it feels.

But of course BRZ/FRS fanboys would be this stupid.

Please don't fuse 86 threads and /int/ shitposting.

toyotaofcharleston.com/new/Toyota/2017-Toyota-86-863ac4e00a0e0ae965f9dd848ad19ca3.htm

This is the one I test drove

I would have to touch a new Miata to do that, so no

>Once I throw some real grippy tires on there it would be fine.
The point its supposed to be a slidey car.

Well I don't want slidey yet it's my first RWD niqqa I dont want to die

I guess my point is people seem to hate the car because they don't realize it's a 2+2 miata. Can't fix the dealer being moneygrubbing.

>niqqa
Also try not being a fucking brainlet. Your have to literally disable TCS with the pedal dance, put donut spares on it, and WOT everywhere to fuck up.

I thought people who buy Miatas buy them because they’re roadsters, so that makes some sense

They did fix that on the 17. Has a “track” button you hold and everything is disabled

It is overpriced, but the reason being is that there is no other car competing against it.
Where else will you find a RWD car with this quality and setup in its sector?

A Mustang isnt the same type of car. Its apples to pears.
I have no idea if the toyobaru has some factory/dealership upgrades like the mustang does though. The new mustang has some supercharger coming out that can be installed by the dealership and pushes the coyote block to 700hp.
Is that needed on the 86? no, its not that kind of car. But they should have a higher trim or other factory/dealer options just like the mustang has. Its what people complain about.

The idea is it's damn close to a Miata, but has a solid roof and 2+2 utility. Like a 240SX to the NA Miata.

>because they’re roadsters
Everyone I know with a miata wishes it wasnt a convertible. Hardtop Miata is where its at.

>new
Big difference in customer base there

I'm sure plenty of people on both sides of the vert issue exist, but yeah, people came all over the RF for a reason.

Miata buyers are both NA Craigslist buyers and ND dealership buyers.

ive put about 50k on my 2014 so far my biggest issues i have with the car are
>interior road noise, and rattles, droning, vibrations at certain rpm
>93 octane
>the paint seems really prone to chips from road debris
>my a/c drain hose has clogged numerous times and flooded the passenger footwell
>shifter is a bit on the notchy side for my taste

overall not the car you want to be in with a hangover but otherwise i like it

>agree with price, used market exists
>very little insulation keeps weight down, its a comprimise. removing sound tube removes a lot of the nvh
>does have the usual amount of subaru rattles
>all the toyota special editions have been pretty bad, that 860 is overspray and some stripes for the same price as the brz performance package which actually has some real upgrades
>removing the clutch helper spring turns it into a real clutch instead of a g27 clutch. takes 15 minutes
>removable cup holder? not sure what you're on about here
>are you a lanklet or did you actually lower the seat all the way? it does adjust

i know you had a shit experience test driving one and i admit they are really shit just bumbling around town but if you take one down a backroad at a spirited pace they'll feel right at home

it's a very easy car to control at the limit, that's the whole point of the car

"track mode" just loosens the traction control slightly more than the sport button did. you have to hold the tc button for three seconds to turn it off almost completely, pedal dance turns everything including abs all the way off.

NEEDS A HIGH-REVVING N/A STRAIGHT-6

octane
Wait, its rated at 200hp at premium????

200hp is a lot for an N/A 4 banger. Honda got away with camming the S2000 to hell and back but that's not the case here.

if you want greater handling disable your ecobox's traction control, stability control, and ABS. There you go, you have more control now.

It's a good car for used market money OP, but brand new it's just not worth it and people are talking about brand new when they make the "not enough power" argument. Real world use however it is fine.

>handling
>felt planted on the highway

Holy shit are you in highschool?

The FRS sucks. Toyota made a higher power 2 liter non turbo already, the BEAMS 3S-GE, and that was 20 years ago. The FA20 might have a low center of gravity, but it sits really far forward, and they had to circumcise the suspension to fit it, meaning it has shitty Macpherson struts in the front. The rest of the chassis is good, though.

Add yours with
It's a shit car.

>i-its overpriced
The BRZ is 2k more than a Civic SI, stop being crying and realize that new cars cost too much for burger flippers

Holy fuck OP. If you like the car, then get it. Too many people seek Veeky Forums's approval on cars. If you like it, that's all that really matters.

>the Automatic is fast enough

You go an entire 2 seconds faster to 60 in the manual. The Automatic is absolute shit

youtu.be/lgUuRVkgJmg

The blacktop BEAMS made 10 more horsepower and 10 more ft lbs of torque, without the FA20 torque dip. 20 years ago.

>what are emissions

20 years is more than long enough to overcome that lmao. Every other car maker has managed to improve.

>emissions regulations are to blame for a 200hp 4cyl in a sports car in 2017
K

Because they innovate unlike Subaru

Is 200hp unheard of for tiny NA 4cyl engines? seems like you recently have a giant hate boner for the car

No it’s not unheard of at all, like the other user said, 20 years ago.

I will not ever understand the decision to make it so weak. “It’s meant to be modded” is a piss poor excuse.

>hate boner lately
Before I test drove one I couldn’t have cared any less, but that was an eye opening experience to how much of a ripoff the car is

If this was a I6 that made 270hp Veeky Forums would love it, but no its a fuckin 4 pot that isnt even turboed Why? because toyola doesn't give a shit about heritage, only how much they can make off of vapers like subaru does.
And stop making these threads every day trying to justify that this car is good. Its not, the american pony cars blow it out the water and are cheaper, and have better setups for aftermarket.
Seriously feel like toyota shills do exist.

it sounds like you have a personal vendetta against this car. it's pretty obvious why they left the turbo in the warehouse, because of turbo-bros who like to crank up boost and flash ECUs but don't like to fork over cash when a rod snaps. it's not a sports car, just let it go already.

What other 4cyl NA engines within last 10 years made over 200hp? You drive a fast GTR and didn't enjoy the testdrive on backroads as it's meant to be enjoyed. The salesman isn't gonna let you throw the car around and rightfully so. The car is good out the box even better with mods
>if this was a i6 that made 270ho Veeky Forums would love it
No, it'd be alot heavier and expensive things people would bitch about

K20A
K24A2
F20C
F22C1

It’s not a piece of shit until you see the price. To me it’s garbage at that point. Toyota is off their rocker for that.

That’s a pretty stupid idea. I know that the 86 doesn’t get a turbo because muh WRX sales, and it’s ridiculous.

Those KA engines made about same power minus a little torque, those F20's came off s2k's selling for high 30's, I'm sure the 86 could make that much out the factory but that's not the price tag they wanted. 25k for the the BRZ. 200hp is good power for a NA 4cyl. Why are you against modding such a good platform with infinite amounts of aftermarket?

The FRS is just a 240sx that makes more power and handles better. Problem is anyone not living within 1hr of mountainous terrain will never need the handling and would be much better served with something that has 300hp+

I remember coming to Veeky Forums the day that the 86 successor was announced in japan...

...Veeky Forums has never been the same since.

Wait till the new Supra comes out and Veeky Forums will bitch about it being too expensive for 35k with 300 bhp.

I drove manual Kia Soul before, gear change does not feel like you changed gear at all. They are under powered every rpm and gear.
Frs is great for what it is. No need to make up lie to look cool here

And that was also cammed to high heaven IIRC.
S2K was mid 40s in today's money. And hilariously, as much as/o/ hates the torque dip in the 86, the S2000 could be said to have it for the first 6000 RPM.

stop tanking pictures of your stock lot boy

Cammed? So what? It has VVTI you ignoramus

I love people who say it's meant to be modded lmao. It's high compression. Go ahead and slap a turbo on without changing anything, kids (the kind of people I would expect to buy one of these)

You know, if it made 200 hp on 87 and had under 9:1 CR, it would be a much better platform

Cams are more than just timing.

The design is such a letdown. It looks bad.

Explain to me what part of the cams on the BEAMS makes it on a different level to the FA20.

Same fuel economy, better midrange and top end. Either the fuel economy or midrange would suffer if it had overly aggressive cams. The BEAMS doesn't have VVTLI, but it still makes good power. The FA20 is direct injection and still somehow ("somehow" meaning it's a Subaru engine) makes fucking horrible power with an embarrassing torque dip

>AT

unironically kys fampai

What makes a manual better for drifting than an automatic?

Clutch and gear control.

>automatic
>cheap lightweight sportscar
fuck you.

Yes

>be me
>at a motor show
>go and have a look at the Toyota part
>see that everyone was gathered around this hideous thing
>the 86 stood in the corner unloved
IS THIS WHAT YOU ALL FUCKING WANTED Veeky Forums?
ARE YOU ALL FUCKING HAPPY THAT EVERYONE CHOSE THIS PIECE OF SHIT OVER THE 86?

Kek, one retard replying to himself to keep this shitty thread alive

Oh Blacktop BEAMS god damnit. I don't know what my brain replaced that with. I'm pretty sure it's just the tune on the 86 twins. Dip is your highway RPM, so emissions are more of a concern and fuel economy is more of a concern. Without caring about either of those, you can tune it out and make a little bit more power.

Jesus Christ why even buy the car if you're going for the automatic? That's like drinking a decaffinated Red Bull. Like what the fuck is the point?

Just get a Mazda 3 or a Civic if you want some "fun" with you're manual. They have similar engine outputs in many ways are more practical. But I'm guessing you like the BRZ for that
>BOI RACER
look to it.

So how does a manuals clutch and gears drift? Can't automatics drift just the same if they have enough power to force the slides?

You can’t clutch kick an automatic. That alone plays a decent role in drifting

Sorry asking noob questions never drifted before with a manual

No worries. I’m bored and will try and help you understand if you wanna know something

Lol. Dumbass who thinks power is all that matters. Can't figure out why a 350hp Porsche Cayman is way faster than his shitbox 500hp Challenger srt