Why is there still no good looking, affordable electric car in the Year of the Lord Two Thousand Eighteen Minus One?

Why is there still no good looking, affordable electric car in the Year of the Lord Two Thousand Eighteen Minus One?

Auto manufacturers make them look retarded because retarded = cool and unique in the eyes of millennials these cars are marketed to

New leaf looks good

a fucking leaf

If by "good" you mean it look like every other uninspiring econobox airport rental car then yes

>affordable
An egolf/leaf/bolt/whatever is already affordable; you just gotta look long term. Cheaper to fill up, less fluids needed, less break pad replacements needed, overall less maintenance required. Plus, you get the perks of being able to use HOV lanes (in some places) / special parking spots etc.

Pure electric is a meme, lrn2 plug-in serial hybrid with petrol range extender.

The keyword "affordable"

which hybridi do you recommend?

god, that blue thing is fucking ugly
I'd rather have a Renault Clio than that car, even if it's a Mercedez

you're kidding
>tesla have actual radiators but no grille
>civic has both bumpers covered with fake vents that lead nowhere

I miss times when everything wasn't a lie

first orders are kind of rough but once they scale all the way up to nationwide supply it'll be gud

there is, and it came out 20 years ago

>calling an engine a "range extender"
a scary world we live in folks

Porsche Mission E is coming soon to save EVs

Make your own you lazy fuck.

>that weight distribution
enjoy your traction

>some soccer mom reverses into you too fast while texting

>good looking

must suck not only being blind, but objectively wrong

That battery pack probably weighs less than the boat anchor rotary.

The new Nissan Leaf is okay. The Chevy Bolt is alright too, but should be priced around 20k well equipped. No one is buying them, they're sitting dead on dealer lots, so you could probably talk your way into getting one with features for that price. The Volt is alright too, but its a hybrid, not straight EV.
If the aerodynamic egg shaped body isn't totally offputting to you they're alright commuters.

Put it next to the S and you'll see how uninspiring the design is.

It's a lawyer term because it's legally an electric car.

>there will never be a plug in hybrid with a gas turbine range extender

Turbines are criminally underrated.

>Put it next to the S and you'll see how uninspiring the design is.
not sure what you mean, it's got a nice overall sculpted look too it, and the rear glass looks great in person
the rear end being a trunk instead of a hatch is a letdown though

The Model S is my favorite looking electric car, but it's still expensive, even used.

IMO, the Chevy Volt is the best looking among new EVs and plug-in hybrids under $40,000.

IMO, the previous generation Volt is a good value and good looking used plug-in.

>affordable
Because you are supposed to get anywhere from a $2.5k to a $7.5k tax credit based on the battery size.
But this will soon be gone when the Senate passes the new tax bill because the GOP and trump are busy slurping big oil's cock.

You're paying for the battery
The new electric Ioniq is bigger and $6,000 cheaper than the Bolt, but it's range is a little less than half than the Bolt's

turbines get less efficient the smaller they get. they're also incredibly loud and have asphalt melting exhaust.

Things don't need to be practical to be fucking cool. There have been turbine powered concept cars and prototypes in the past that were tame enough.

LEAF 2.0 fully loaded is $37,000 before tax incentives. 40k battery for a 150 mile range, though a 60 kw is coming in a couple years. radar cruise control. automatic lane keeping. e-pedal, which allows you to barely ever have to touch the actual brake pedal. 360 degree camera views. dc fast charging. leather. XM radio. heat seats and steering wheel. lane departure warning/blind spot monitoring. auto emergency braking at low speed. Bose stereo.

the LEAF 2.0 will dominate the low end of the EV market.

the zoe and leaf looks totally normal though

The stock Bolt gets 248 miles from a full charge, has top of the industry crash test ratings, and starts at $30,000~ MSRP.
People aren't buying them. Its just too much money for a commuter, let alone $40,000.
These need to be in the range of their entry level gas and diesel econoboxes selling for $19,000 to $28,000. Sales won't pick up until they hit that spot.

Tesla can sell a $35,000 EV because it looks cool and they have the brand value for EVs that other automakers don't have.

any love for the ELR in here?
new pricing was a fucking disaster but they're like mid 20s used now, and it's like an executive coupe version of the volt drivetrain which is excellent on its own

Bolt starts at 37k and ends around 42k, before tax incentives. so it is more expensive than the LEAF and in the Model 3 price range.

Cadillac really fucked up with the ELR. It's a great looking car but there literally was no thought to finding a target market beyond "Tesla alternative." No Tesla buyer would have cross-shopped that thing and no Volt buyer would have been able to afford it.

Probably a good deal used though.

still why does it need a big sticker that says electric, just makes you look like a wanker, leave the exterior unchanged i dont need a badge or sticker saying its electric

I absolutely love the ELR. They're dropping in value like crazy, so I hope to get a 2016 model some day. It's by far my favorite hybrid. I take back what I said in . The ELR is my favorite looking car among EVs and hybrids.

Holy fuck why would you punish yourself like that?
When you run out of battery you're stuck with a 4000lb cuck mobile that has under 90hp.

>buying electric
>ever
topests kekests

the interior also looks nicer than most cadillacs, it has this neat sunken center instrument effect that looks nice in person

the gloss black plastic does not help though
also CUE, eww

Guys I thought the electric range extender petrol engine didn't actually connect to the drivetrain and was basically just a generator for the battery pack, which a highly tuned peaky 2stroke would be perfect for, whilst belching blue smoke

Its a second motor for the car, it'll use the gasoline engine to propel the vehicle when you have nothing left in the battery.
It can also burn gasoline to heat up the battery when its cold, something all EVs have issue with. A lot of these EVs have relatively short range, and in practice it can be heinously worse than the stated estimate. In a pure EV you will use energy from the battery to heat up the battery. If you only have a 50 mile range, and you're using a significant amount of energy to heat the system up to safe operating temp, you're not going a 50 mile range any more. Even Teslas have an issue with this on short commutes.

Chevy at least does you the courtesy of showing you min and max values for your possible range, Chevy also has better regenerative braking than everyone else too. The 238 mile rated Chevy Bolt could provide you over 250 miles on a single charge, or it could be lower than 170, and thats on dry pavement, cruising at high way speeds, with no wind. Old a cold windy day it can be extremely low. All of a sudden that 238 mile rating means shit. If you only had a partial charge before you left in the morning your EV is dead.

Like the Volt, it has the same, or slightly more power when running as a hybrid.

It doesn't connect to the wheels on a BMW i3, but to the best of my knowledge, it does on every other plug-in hybrid.

I like it. The motorized, hidden storage compartment is my favorite part.

A lot of EV owners put a space heater in their trunk or under the car to warm it up before leaving so it doesn't kill their range.

What a terrific concept. Gasoline engines will totally be doomed any day now.

This is the distinction between a serial and parallel hybrid
>serial: engine is just a generator, no direct link to the wheels, basically an EV with a backup
>parallel: engine is connected to the wheels and usually there's an electric motor within the transmission or differential

honestly the former is way better than the latter, but the former's actually hard to develop for various reasons, the volt took a lot of r&d to make at first.

that's like literally the engine the bmw i3 uses

any battery pack with integrating water cooling (which all of them should have desu) can easily run hot water through those lines while the car is charging to keep the batteries warm, teslas do this

You think millennials are buying electric cars that are 40k+? You're delusional you old retard

Thats every bit as retarded as warming up your car with a space heater. It still shows the fundamental issue with EVs. Can't drive in the cold or the range goes to shit. We're not even talking about snow and ice cold. People who live in California and wake up to a 45f morning have to do this.

If you were out holiday shopping in Wisconsin, parked your EV at a mall, and the battery got cold while you were inside, you had better make it home quick.

the range hit is there but isn't that bad.
your entire pack isn't going to cool all the way down at the mall unless you're in there like 6 hours, and if you are, god help you.
the energy cost to heat the batteries back up from cold while in an insulated battery tray isn't much.

that said i wouldn't touch an ev with less than 150 miles of range, or one without some kind of rapid charging. past that a lot of these issues go away

how about this one?

>less break pad replacements needed

You got any proof for this claim?

If you're driving in actual winter conditions 0f outside, winds, an EV is going to get just a fraction of its rated rate. Theres no getting around it. The batteries do cool off quick enough that projected range in a Tesla will crash to low double digits in just an hour or two sitting outside.
If you don't "pre condition" an EV when its even slightly cold outside they absolutely shit the bed. Cars that Tesla claims can reach 300 miles under optimum conditions can get a 60 mile real world range when driving in the cold.
These little pisser EVs with 50, 100, and 150 mile range would leave you stranded.

>tfw GM made a better looking Fit/Jazz than Honda and as a bonus its also electric

The two electric cars Honda had at the Tokyo motor show looked good. Whether they will ever exist in real life is a different question though.

I love how Tesla so obviously just did a fake grille delete without giving a single fuck about actually redesigning the front end. Also the fact that its so generic looking is an added bonus.

>but muh gullwing

The interior in them is alright, its all hard plastic but its not terribly gaudy. Has decent cargo space with the rear seats folded flat. Realistically you aren't going to be carrying any adults in the back seat of this thing so you might as well just count it all as cargo volume.
The driver and passenger seats are oddly narrow for some reason. They're a few inches narrower than any other econobox car seat.

Cheap barebones electric cars when? And I`m talking about actual cars, not glorified scooters.

The entire point of using a wankel engine is that you get much higher strength/weight ratio.

>winter day
>its 20f outside
>pamper 265 mile EPA rated(up to 300 mile Tesla rated) 85kW model S
>pre condition it before leaving, drive on a clear, dry highway without stopping
>167 miles until the battery is totally dead
>over 100 miles slashed off of your range just from the air temp lowering from 70f to 20f.

The colder it is the worse your range is. Don't precondition it? Worse range. Windy outside? Worse range. Making frequent stops? You had better believe thats going to significantly hurt your range.
The only thing more shocking than researching this is seeing how the Tesla fanboys make excuses for it, and how they plan their lives around making it back and forth to the few charging stations in their area.

I was kind of on the fence about EVs and hybrids but looking into this they're totally niche seasonal gimmick mobiles. EVs won't ever be anything else until we have batteries mad out of something besides lithium. Thank God Mazda is still developing gasoline and diesel tech.

I really hope they make the roadster, it's make the electroshit age much nicer

OP, what you're looking for is a chevy bolt.
It is a very roomy and stylish hatch with great performance--despite poor sales, it is a great price (less than 45k Canadian), has topped many car charts, and makes the Tesla's range and features look embarrassing. If I was looking for an electric, this is what I would get.

Not to mention, in many places anywhere from 25-100% of the car is rebated by the local government if it is electric.

I don't think they sold many in the US, so everyone should be pretty safe for the $7,500 tax credit available to us. If you could find a dealer who still has them on their lots you could probably haggle the price way the fuck down.
Searching dealers in my area they seem to have removed all Bolts from their inventory. They still have Volts in stock, but no Bolt.

The battery pack has a higher power to weight ratio, for a minute or two. A wankle's like 300hp on a really good day? You can easily get that out of a battery pack it's just going to have shit range.

Because they are still a fucking meme that is marketed towards retards who think they are saving a polar bear by driving one.

So these are mostly (apart from Tesla) b-segment cars, so mini-mini-vans previous mostly only sold in Europe. BMW is not going to sell a lot of a model that dimensionally competes with a Honda Fit. These automakers never expected to sell a lot in this segment, so it made sense to put their most adventurous power plants in a body style they knew wouldn't sell a lot anyways since we lack the infrastructure and charging times to lead to more widespread adoption.

Regenerative braking uses the electric motor to slow down the car and charge the battery. It's possible to slow the car down to a crawl without using the friction brakes.

>""""""""""""good"""""""""""

change the rims and you have a decent looking car

VW can get fucked after what they pulled in the diesel market.

I like it
Falls in line with the Prius designs before the current one: Look like a boring shitbox because you are one