Legendary BMW designer Chris Bangle unveils citycar EV of the future

theverge.com/2017/11/28/16709248/reds-ev-prototype-redspace-chris-bangle-bmw

The team imagined how to make small car into a space suited for relaxation, which led to a seat configuration that feels more like parts of a Lego build. The driver’s seat swivels around a folding steering wheel and the passenger seats slide and swap positions to make more legroom, designed to make a city car feel like a home office, entertainment center, or even a nursery.

“In the megacities in China, we learned that traffic is at a standstill there an awful lot,” Bangle says. “We found out that particularly young people don't have the same availability of private space to themselves that you might expect in other places.” Grappling with the concept in Chinese culture referred to as the “fourth space,” they began to think how the car could be used."

jesus fuck is bangle suffering from dementia?

why can't cars be cars anymore? why does every new car have to be a moving house?

Redspace: the great Syd Mead now on stage, complimenting its functional form

>it somehow looks even worse on the inside

Deus Ex Human Revolution tail lights

Traffic at a standstill means time for relaxation in REDS, which has a 17-inch screen that can be used for gaming or movies. “When you're normally driving, it sticks up about one third of its height and that's where you see all the information about driving, the navigation and the speed and all that kind of stuff. When the car is stopped, it comes all the way up to its full height,” Bangle says.

TRANSFORMERS

Kill the Bangle

What Bangle and his team grasp is how to create forms that make an impression, and express purpose.

Another key element of REDS is it decidedly cute appearance — and that’s intentional, too. Bangle’s process is reflected in this proposition that is three years in the making.

“The experience that we have in the car businesses is that if you present people with just an unusual shape, it takes them a while to get a hold of it. This is not always a good selling argument. There has to be another compelling reason of, 'I want to have this car.' The best reason to want something in the car business is because of its character.”

oh cool its the car from total recall 1990

Futureretrowave is cancer and it never works

>Traffic at a standstill means time for relaxation in REDS,
MUST BE ENTERTAINED AT ALL TIMES CANT GO WITHOUT STIMULATION

>literally a poorly drawn world map, with continent names, on the roof
holy shit i wonder if bangle is literally the greatest troll to ever live

“You don't have to break your neck to crane around and talk to the person next to you,” Bangle says of the seat configuration. “It’s important when you want to deal with your baby on the seat behind you. When you've parked and your child is still asleep and you don't want to wake the baby up. You have a space for yourself to deal with something, read a book, write a paper, work on your computer.”

“This is the first car I think you can actually say it has a wrap-around rear loveseat.” It also includes a built-in foot massage in the floor and a red carpet that rolls out onto the sidewalk for dramatic effect.

> It also includes a built-in foot massage in the floor and a red carpet that rolls out onto the sidewalk for dramatic effect.

> It also includes a built-in foot massage in the floor and a red carpet that rolls out onto the sidewalk for dramatic effect.

>AFRICA
this shit writes itself

Bangle has never been one to shy away from being different. Today his once polarizing contributions are now celebrated. Chris Harris described Bangle’s legacy in Jalopnik: “This is why Chris Bangle was right and we were wrong: because his brand revolution now resonates outside the car-world, and that is unusual. Normally the car industry copies ideas from other, more radical corners of the industrial map, but in the paradigm shifts being undertaken by so many famous brands you see the Bangle effect.”

The high sloping windshield is the most eye-catching element of the exterior, which Bangle says minimizes exposure to direct sunlight and keeps the car cool. It also introduces “Cartesian” sliding doors, and a roof that extends to block the rain. REDS is made of aluminum, a lightweight material, which enhances performance. He worked with a team of Italian engineers near his studio. “As far as I can tell from where we are in our performance data, it will not only have excellent range, but it will also have really excellent acceleration.”

>go to preschool
>talk to some 4-5 yr olds
>pull out the easel and ask everyone to write down an idea for something they want in a car
>20 ideas later you leave with a piece of paper covered in shit ideas
>all drawn in crayon
>head for the BMW head office

The characters that inspired the visual language of REDS are straight from the children’s literary canon, a book that Bangle once read to his son and referenced throughout the design process: Richard Scarry’s Cars and Trucks and Things That Go. “When little kids draw cars, this is what they draw,” says Bangle in an interview with The Verge.

Beyond its looks, the guiding premise is what it does. “How one uses the space became the actual driving motif for the vehicle,” Bangle says. Bangle and his team focused on what happens in the car in the time it isn’t being driven, which on average is about 90 percent, he says.

“We call it the 90/10 philosophy, meaning we prioritize the 90 percent of a car’s usage when it is not moving rather than the 10 percent when it is.” The car is not equipped with fully autonomous software.

"Is the car self-driving? Right now, it is not, but if you think about what kind of cars we might want to have when they do become self-driving, probably this 90/10 philosophy is not a bad one to follow.”

>“When little kids draw cars, this is what they draw,”
thats not a good thing lmao

Bangle brought in a former BMW colleague Swantje Rössner, who designed interiors for the BMW 7 Series and the X5 to work with his small team. For the exterior lead, he called on former Mazda advanced designer Atsuhiko Yamada.

Harkening back to Richard Scarry’s worldview of the automobile is to tempt the beholder with an expression of childlike whimsy, and create a sense of openness to change. In China, where EVs are primed to transform the landscape, REDS is making a scene-stealing entrance.

Well, if you're in a traffic jam for like four hours straight I'd be bored too.

How expensive is this dumb ass thing

>Atsuhiko Yamada
If there's an Italian involved, this must be some kind of WW2 revenge plot against commies. Only explanation is that Bangle is trying to embarrass and destroy the Chinese.

looks like shit but im most upset by the orange/black/white color scheme suddenly taking off because i made a tape wallet in that scheme recently and now i feel like everyone will think im a biter

No fucking joke - from the thumbnail I thought it's a standing cardboard thing

this is what you're going to be riding in when a few decades pass. driving will be banned by then

Outside looks like fuck, but the interior straight up looks fucking awesome.

What sets the REDS EV apart are two immediate prospects: its wild amorphous 2.97 meter form, only a bit larger than a Smart car that in motion seats four, or when idle, offers room for five, and the return of Bangle to car design, who oversaw all aspects of development through his Turin, Italy based consultancy.

>Harkening back to Richard Scarry’s worldview
one time i threw up on my copy of a richard scary book as a kid

i think it might have been the one with the infamous Squasher-Downer

thats my story for tonight, fokls

oh shit he's at it again

>that roof

AYO WHERE DA WHITE WIMMINZ AT??

Haven't you done enough Bangle? Haven't you done enough?

>Bangle has never been one to shy away from being different.

"Different" being euphemism for "a total hack"

too soon

I know someone who had a cooler idea around that time and even got it into production with tons of great and new features

ehh
there any many cars like this

>they literally took inspiration from a series where someone drives a fucking apple
i want out of this fucking timeline

I could deal with this thing if it wasnt a fucking BMW desu.

reminds me P45

in a few decades ill be dead thank christ.

Whats its Nurburgring time?

>Richard Scarry’s Cars and Trucks and Things That Go
god dam it I had forgotten about that after a decade or so
probably still have the book somewhere
fox is best dude

dat hat tho

t. james

I hope we never get to that point

Instead, I want driving to voluntarily off itself and become the domain off hobbyists as urban planning and privatized public transit take over.

Imagine all the straight four lanes reduced to two lanes to make way for high speed trains. Imagine parking lots bulldozed to build stations. Imagine the remaining roadways repaved to be curvier to "encourage driver relaxation", with speed limits relaxed similarly, and the roads lined with trees and shrubs (with sidewalks on the other side, not like you're getting your car on them any time soon). Imagine pedestrian bridges instead of crosswalks.

nice future right?

We might see that in two or three towns as they develop into future cities. Major population centers will remain shitty to live in. Driving will not be banned, but ICEs will. Locally. And insurance companies will refuse to give you a good rate if you live in traffic hell, and only if you live in traffic hell.

its like the ceo said i want a sun roof. and the designer said "go fuck yourself"

>mmmm, having that orange piping right across ONE side of your back, annoying your right side shoulder blade to no end

JUST

This looks like something an all top engineer students team manage to create in a year long senior design.

It's screams designers don't k ow shit about cars but can mimic style to a degree.

Bangle butt 2: electric boogaloo

its not even a good retro style tho its objectively shit

>driving is outlawed
>only outlaws drive and know how to drive
>no police to stop them
>illegal black market in cars car parts and fuel comes into existance
>police can't stop it because the moment they try to they get outrun by said outlaws

please make this a thing desu

Isn't the entire fucking point of driverless cars to stop traffic jams and crashes? Nobody wants a fucking 4-hour commute, especially not in a cuckmobile.

this guy just broke the regime.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Could make a good movie for the cops that specially train in driving.

Lolno. There's a reason why the current charge towards autonomous vehicles is backed by DARPA and it's not to make your commute better.

darpa isnt that spooky user and they do very little right on their own

Ah yes, the Cucksmobile Safespace. When all white cis males have been pressured into buying these beauties, only niggers will be driving old shit like the BMW m3 and Audi RS. The future for the white race is bright

Christ, it's a fucking blender

The chinks can keep their RED space, I will have the good ole RED WHITE and BLUE.

Yeah I know. The point of DARPA funding autonomous vehicle research was to develop autonomous driving tech to keep soldiers safe. One of the side benefits is that since all of the vehicles will eventually need to be networked together in order to work most efficiently, it should be trivial to force civilian traffic off of highways or whatever in case of a defense emergency, or even when there's an emergency vehicle racing towards something.

Anyway, the effects that autonomous vehicles will have on traffic patterns is unknown right now. The technology is too disruptive. Some scenarios show an increase in vehicles on the road and travel times as more people embrace the convenience factor. Some show a massive decrease in vehicles, but an increase in miles driven per year per vehicle should we move to a model where private ownership disappears in favor of autonomous taxi services that you pay a monthly fee for. I'm not sure if that kind of thing will catch on, simply because people are disgusting and nobody wants to ride home in a car that smells like someone else's baby's shit. But no matter what the case may be, the move to autonomous vehicles will take decades to complete, so in the meantime a car that can double as a small living/workspace while it slowly gets you from A to B will likely be rather popular, so long as it doesn't look like Bangle's cuckshed.

>Murica stronk
>flies a flag that represents LOSERS

Fuck all that shit, there are too many areas too remote and unnoticed for anything like that to work at all. I can't even get pizza delivered to my house, how could I get a robot taxi?

If you live in rural America (or a developing country) very little of that futuristic shit applies to you. It's also one of the reasons why electric will only supplant ICE in highly developed urban cores.

The problem is, most of what rural America does is in the process of being automated, and eventually the only people left out there will probably be the die-hard innawoods types and the people who service farm equipment, which will be an incredibly niche market for automakers.

>I can't even get pizza delivered to my house, how could I get a robot taxi?
If anything, robot cars would extend range of deliveries and stuff since you don't have someone that'll complain about having to drive for 9 hours to get to your /pol/ shack

also, outside america, things are much denser and more clustered, and neighborhoods actually have commercial zoning in them sometimes unlike modern american suburbs

10/10 thread. Haven't laughed this hard in a while.

>what is the original mad max movie

You are now fully aware that there are people out there that not only get paid ridiculously large amounts of money to design stupid shit like this, but people get paid ridiculously large amounts of money to green light stupid shit like this.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Legendary

looks like a clarkson and gang design.

>Legendary BMW designer Chris Bangle
is he the one that made the dorky 5 series?

Mobile cuckshed?

>tfw actual shitboxes, emphasis on box, are the future according to normies and retards
Stop

>Bangle and his team focused on what happens in the car in the time it isn’t being driven, which on average is about 90 percent, he says.
what? the only time i'm in my car is when i'm driving. i don't understand this

a bloody cuckshed on wheels

I think the emphasis will be on shit rather than box.

>purposefully making unaerodynamic inefficient shitboxes because they look quirky
Ive never wanted tesla to not go under to badly

We've gone full circle.

Why the hell does it look like a boot?

>Syd Mead's name attached to this abortion

>90/10 shit box
Gonna deliver mail in that thing, because that's the only circumstance I see this BS being useful.

>BMW designer
kek

The idea is that chinese people are so heavily packed in next to each other and on top of each other that they need their cars to serve as an extension of their tiny apartments.

And I do mean tiny, a typical american bedroom is bigger than some of the apartments they're willing to put up with.

WHY NOT JUST MAKE AN EV YARIS WITH SOLAR ROOF FUCK

BECAUSE NORMAL CARS ARE NOT ~FUTURE~ ENOUGH

Lmao, imagine the wind resistance of that thing. It probably generates more wind noise than a pre-WW2 automobile.

>open thread
>people are still accepting driving being banned as an inevitability as if it were inscribed on stone tablets that fell from the sky

I know we like to RP about dystopian futures on this site, but we still have grandfather laws and strong romanticizations of traditional car culture. None of these things will disappear overnight until we have a generation that has never driven for the most part.

There's also the idea that the remaining human drivers will have a higher aggregate skill level since they actually care about the activity of driving. The technology is already surprisingly good at dealing with unexpected scenarios. Thus, the cars behave more predictably, and accident rates fall further for everyone, even the human drivers.

You're accomplishing nothing but driving yourselves crazy. I just don't think that these nightmare scenarios are as likely as everyone thinks

Governments hate letting their subjects have autonomy. At this point google is as much a part of the government as Congress.

Now, if your representatives actually listen to their voters and not rich asshole bubble dwellers and malicious social engineer parasites, they might introduce new licenses for different kinds of cars, with cars with less automation requiring more skill to get the licenses for.

This, the shit inside even spins around

its the direction things are actually going. at the very least non self driving cars might come to a point where insurance costs a fuckton and its regulated to fuck. my normal(ish) gf said that banning manual cars might happen

Look at how much attitudes towards smoking have changed in the last 50 years (i.e. within one or two generations). Car culture is undeniably on the decline. I love cars and I love driving, but I know the death of it is inevitable.

Then all of china gets TIANJIN'D when Chang from the countryside forgets how his brakes work and the three tons of batteries inside catch fire

>whew that guy on the bicycle is gonna make it out of there nice
>fucking directly smashed by a lamp post
holy shit how unlucky