When did 10 seconds for 0-60 stop being considered quick for non-supercars?

When did 10 seconds for 0-60 stop being considered quick for non-supercars?

my guess is around the turn of the century.

Sub 8 seconds to 60 should always be considered quick.

Anything from 5 to 12 is slow as fuck but still practical.

Anything under 5 is enjoyable even if it's not the fastest.

t. 2.8 to 60

The human body can't perceive a difference between a 2 second and 6 second 0-60.

when my beat up 75ps 98 golf iv shitbox did it in 2017

Dunno but seeing that my shitty 4x4 gets 9.5 on average makes me think it was long ago

For me it start < 6 sec
>And i talk about 0 - 100 km/h

>tfw when your v6 camry is faster than lamborghini countach

Engineering fag here, and I can tell you that's literally a bull shit fact.

The human body is perfectly capable of feeling and understanding a range of g-forces from zero g all the way up to fatal g numbers. Ask a fighter pilot or astronaut because they go through stages of increasing g forces in a simulator and they can tell the difference.
In conclusion, you can absolutely tell the difference between a 2 second 0-69 and a 6 second 0-60. But I think is also an ignorant fuck. I've ridden in a stock WRX with a 0-60 of 5.6+ and it feels very quick. I'd say about 8 seconds is the limit for something to feel "quick" or nippy. It all depends on the car too. An AW11 or EG hatch doing 0-60 in 8 seconds is going to feel very quick.

>Engineering
>talking about human perception
It's OK, you'll find a use for that Civil Engineering degree someday.
Truth is, humans are quite poor at a lot of things, and a matter of 4 seconds is very easy for us to misjudge,

>Immune system kills would be cancer cells every single day
>Heart never stops moving ever until you die
>Created antibiotics
>Visited another planet
>The brain named itself
>>Truth is, humans are quite poor at a lot of things

Fuck off.

My 4th gen maxima can do it in 6 seconds
Not bad for a $1000 shitbox

>have trouble staying alive after 80 years
>die in seconds without oxygen
>have to go comatose every 12 hours to function
>require constant nutrition
>pretty defenceless for first 10 years
>rely upon imaginary value of burnable liquid to survive in environment
>can't go 100 years without killing ourselves a lot over imaginary lines on the ground
We haven't achieved great feats because we're human, but despite it.

>Reddit memes

Unfortunately this is true. We still have the brains of cave men, but we live in a modern society. In other words our brains are 50,000 years too old for our world. It wouldnt take but a few generations to degenerate back into that state.

>Die in seconds without oxygen

I'm just going to stop reading right there because clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. There are divers that can hold their breath underwater for 10 minutes.

By the way, the air we breath is mostly compromised of nitrogen, not oxygen.

10 minutes is a tiny amount of time, and they train for years upon years to do this.
Go fill up your sink, and put your face in it for 10 minutes. Post back if you can. I'll wait.

>Science is awesome
*Tips fedora*

We don't use the nitrogen, dipshit

He was clearly being hyperbolic, there's no need to be autistic about it
Even with oxygen and food, we die in just 3 days without water

Unfortunately he wasn't, when we hold our breath we survive off the oxygen in our blood. With that gone, cells would begin dying almost immedietly

I mean if you want to start getting technical he's correct, mere seconds of total oxygen deprivation can be lethal to the brain, but holding your breath for less than a few minutes wont cause the same damage.

I'm not in civil engineering, not that it has anything to do with human perception anyways. I'm in Aerospace and Mechanical.

Humans are actually quite good at a lot of things. Also,
0-60 in 6 seconds is 0.46g
0-60 in 4 seconds is 0.68g
0-60 in 2 seconds is 1.37g
(All assuming constant acceleration from 0-60, many time 0-30 is much quicker than 30-60 resulting in higher initial g forces than listed)
You're telling me that the human body can't tell a difference when the g force triples? Because that's bullshit. I can feel a big difference between a 0-60 of 5.0 and 4.8 because my car does 5.0 when it's hot out and 4.8 when it's cold. If you can't tell the difference between 2 and 6 seconds then your brain in underfunctioning in a major way.

Well, that is correct. But the idea that all of us are 120 seconds or slightly more away from dying at any given moment is still in place.

Yes, I stand by my average man cannot tell the difference between .45 and .68 g of acceleration. Nowhere was a 2 second 0-60 brought up, so I'm just going to throw that in the trash. We are not precision instruments. I also don't believe a second of that 5.0 vs 4.8 story.

I misread that, the 4 seconds wasn't brought up.
I still stand by it.

>and a matter of 4 seconds is very easy for us to misjudge,
theres a lot of shit that nerds sperg over that are imperceptible to anyone not looking for it, but a difference of 4 seconds in 0-to-60 is fucking huge

if the spergout was about 60 vs 69 in the same time, or something like 5 seconds instead of 6, you'd be right. but a 4 second gap in a 0-60 is quite big

>
>The human body can't perceive a difference between a 2 second and 6 second 0-60.

Just look at the comment I first replied too. It says 2 seconds and 6 seconds.
But any car guy can tell you that an increase in horsepower over 10% is something you can easily feel, and I gaurantee most cars won't see more than a 0.4 increase in 0-60 time with 15% more horsepower.
You've obviously never modified a car. I can tell when I'm not hitting full boost. I can tell if it's a day with high humidity. I can tell when my intercooler is getting some heat soak and I spray it during a full throttle run. I can tell on a cold night having just driven earlier during a warm day. I mean it's a substantial feeling. Especially between an 80 degree day with 100% humidity and a 50 degree evening, I mean that's a night a day difference.

>Truth is, humans are quite poor at a lot of things, and a matter of 4 seconds is very easy for us to misjudge,
BULL SHIT
Go to a track and look at people racing there.
I spend few years doing regular track days and I can tell you it's easy as fuck to notice +5% increase in torque or hp. Not to mention 2s vs 6s 0-60 bullshit.

You will always get used to it and want more. Quickness is relative to what you're used to. If you drove a big old truck all your life then stepped in a Focus RS it would feel super quick. Personally if I drive anything with a 0-60 of more than 5 or a quarter mile of more than 13s and less than 110 trap, it feels pretty slow. I dd a modified hellcat at 775rwhp which runs 9.9@138, and when I drive my girlfriends civic (the turbo i4) it feels peppy but at highway speeds has basically no acceleration

0-60 times are dumb, when would you ever be able to experience that?

what a person really wants is a fast 30-80 time or a fast 60-120 time

if they advertised that, they'd have legal banging on the door, since it encouraged people to go 120.

0-60 is a nice safe metric to market most cars with

but you're right, 60-120 is the real fun. That's when you're cruising down the highway and someone pulls up next to you and wants to race, which is 90% of the fun interactions you'll get in a performance car, not stoplights

I bet you think you can tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps too.

10 sec is almost prohibitively slow, anything slower than that should be considered a road hazard and require a giant reflective triangle like a tractor. Takes longer to catch up to highway traffic when you're merging from an on ramp. Takes you longer to get through a wide intersection when making a left hand turn yielding to oncoming.

You're retarded, I drove a shitty e-450 for a while for work, 5.4L gas engine. The thing took at LEAST 20 seconds to get to 60 and I have never had issues getting up to highway speeds on an onramp. The real issue is grannies not willing to floor it

anything 6 or less is entertaining to foot
5 is quick and snappy
4 is starting to feel exotic
3-3.5 is neck soringly quick

You absolutely can because guess what, the 30fps your eye sees are not perfectly lined up with the 30fps on whatever screen you're looking at. In fact because the eye fluctuates (29-31fps) you end up catching a lot of moments when the screen is changing images which is why it doesn't look super smooth.
When you go to 60fps you cut the number of times your eyes catch an image switch in half. 60fps looks way smoother than 30fps. 120fps and 144fps are pushing it though.

I find 120fps very nice for fast movements, I find they come out much clearer. Other than that its unnoticable though