How much more range could you get out of a Tesla if you gave it a transmission?

How much more range could you get out of a Tesla if you gave it a transmission?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wiLWVuI4f0A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You'd get less range. That would be inefficient

Depends what speed you were travelling at

Dude an electric motor is not an internal combustion engine, more RPMs doesn't equal more "fuel" being burnt.

Electric motors still have a torque drop beyond a certain RPM. It's inadvisable to just throw an electric motor with a driveshaft and one final gear into a car and call it a day.

In existing electric cars the torque doesnt drop until usually 80mph, the ideal cruising speed is the optimal battery discharge rate, not the motor speed

That's because of where the gearing puts it in the first place.

I think trucks would require gears or, at least, ranges.

we will see, the tesla roadster will have a transmission.
>10.000nm torque
they wouldnt be able to without a gearbox of some kind

More speed = more Wh/mile

teslas already have a transmission. It's called dual motors. The front motor is geared for highway speeds, and the rear motor is geared for low speed. Based on how fast you're going it changes which motor gets more juice to it

That's because you are moving a heavy object through the atmosphere. Has nothing to do with the gearing.

they already have a gear box its just a single speed, its geared not direct drive.

probably quit a bit.

I base this off of Formula E cars being more successful by adding 2 or even 3 gears.

Because the Motor has a flat power band it can't efficiently produce high speeds very well.

The best set up currently has 2 gears and one is for launch and tight turning and the other is for 'cruising'. You dont really get a acceleration benefit from switching gears its only good for reducing energy waste.

this vid, watch for DS Virign

youtube.com/watch?v=wiLWVuI4f0A

Tesla probably should have one but its a recent development in the sport and probably wont make its way to street cars for a while. Tesla can't even make the model S let alone a transmission like this.

Interesting though is the Renault I believe actually has a manual style stick for switching gears to save weight.

kinda sounds like a RC car just BIGGER

i like it

if only all EV's had a nice sound like this

>How much more range could you get out of a Tesla if you gave it a transmission?
None, electric motors have pretty much the same efficiency across the rpm range.

It is about 90-95% at any relevant point in the rev range, except for realy low rpm and high torque where it gets a bit worse.

Generaly speaking lower rpm make electric motors less efficient since the higher required rotor current leads to a higher voltage voltage drop and therefore less of the energy beeing left to change the magnetic field.

TL;DR
If you are not hauling heavy ass shit on steep uphills, a gearbox won´t help you.

The reason for those 2 gears is that you don´t have to run full motor current all the time under accelleration.
The heat produced by the electric motor is roughly proportional to the square of the current passing it, while the torque is proportional to the torque produced.
If you have to accellerate hard constantly, a shorter gearing allows you to run less motor torque for the same accelleration, but will limit your topspeed.
Since Formula E is consecutive high accelleration and decceleration, wich due to regenerative braking both stresses the motor, a additional gear makes some sense here.

Tesla went another way:
The beefed up the motor and controller to a degree that it can produce much power efficiently even at low rpm, that was more than the battery could supply back then.
In the first version of the Model S the battery was the limiting factor, so it worked pretty well.

Since they beefed up the battery to a extreme degree in the newer performance versions and changed the gear ratios to allow for a higher topspeed, the drive units are now the limiting factor in the Model S and tend to overheat due to the additional power and longer time at maximum current.
But that is only a issue with consecutive maximum accellerations, wich you don´t do anyway in daily driving.

Pic related, a old Model S platform with the 1st generation motor and 2-stage reduction gear.
It revs something like 20.000 rpm at topspeed if I remember correctly

TL;DR
Unless your commute is a dragstrip it will not make a difference.

>has 2 gears
I think this is the time when we start using word "overdrive" again.

>that lower control arm

holy shit its massive

What did you expect from a >2 metric ton rear engined car with aluminium controll arms?
Of course that thing is massive, it has to sustain about doubble of what your 90s japanese shitbox encounters AND is made of aluminium instead of steel.
It also has to hold the rotoational force of the rear brakes.

>aluminium control arms
That's all going away on the Model 3. Underneath it looks a lot more like a typical shitpile.

Indeed, but the Model 3 doesn´t weight as much and is less performance oriented.

But because parts for the Model 3 are so much simpler to manufacture, I don't understand why all the delays.

>I don't understand why all the delays.
They have to set up a whole new production line and went crazy on automatising it.
So the production line is verry complex.

Also I heared that they build a gigant 100 MWh battery in australia and are short on batterys now.

>Went crazy automating it.
Most car manufacturers are almost completely automated already and have been for 20 years.
>the production line is very complex
yet the body and suspension of the model 3 looks like a Hyundai Excel.

>body and suspension looking similar to an existing car means that their factory is all set up and running
That’s how retarded you sound.

Why is setting up a production line for a cheap car so hard, especially if in planning for 6-years? Global manufacturers are able to set up these lines in 8-months.

Stop misdirecting. I’m here to point out how stupid you sound when saying why it isn’t set up yet because it looks like a different car that is machanically entirely different.

>Global manufacturers are able to set up these lines in 8-months
Other manufacturers have existing production lines and just have to change them.
Most of the new cars share some components with their older counterparts and are produced less in-house.

Yeah who goes faster than 80mph right?

>tend to overheat
>But that is only a issue with consecutive maximum accellerations, wich you don´t do anyway in daily driving.

literally an electric corvette

lmao