As a single male is a shipping container the most cost effective way to own my own home?

As a single male is a shipping container the most cost effective way to own my own home?

Other urls found in this thread:

sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-surplus-airbeam-shelter-32039-x-20039-new?a=2065050
twitter.com/AnonBabble

the main issue is finding land depending in where you live.. that will cost more than a container

I want to know this too o uo

Ni, it's a terrible idea. You're far better off just building something from scratch.

depends..

how are you going to move the container? If you cannot do it yourself, you might have to pay someone else to do it.

Do you have metal working tools? If not, you're going to need a pretty substantial angle grinder, a lot of heavy duty blade/grinding wheels.. and likely some kind of welding setup. These, in addition to basic carpentry/construction tools. All of which are relatively expensive if you get good ones.

Where do you live? If the temperature gets below 40 degrees where you live, you will need to frame out the interior of your container and insulate it.. otherwise it will become a freezing cold steel coffin. You will also need a heat source of course.

I built a tiny house on a trailer for $3500 (Including a 500 watt offgrid solar system) by using construction site leftovers.

makes no sense if you are in any place where there is proper winter, because you will either freeze or spend 4 digits on heating bills. A house needs to have proper warmth isolation

No. Shipping containers are horrible buildings. They're meant to be stacked, so all the strength is in the edges. Barely any structural support in the walls. Without insulation, it will turn into an oven in the summer and an icebox in the winter. You'll have to put loads of crap inside to pass construction codes, costing a lot of space + money

Why not just buy a cheap home to live in? There are some in my area for the price of a new car.

Or even better buy a multifamily and rent the remaining rooms

Tiny homes and shipping containers are just a giant meme at this point

How much is a ready-made used caravan/trailer? 1/4 of the price of a decked-out shipping container?

a shipping container house is in no way cheaper than a house with the same space and furnishing quality. it is actually more expensive and less flexible.

no. the cheapest way to own a home is to buy a home in a shit area where nobody wants to live.
I buyed my house for 5000$

>You'll have to put loads of crap inside to pass construction codes
Not if you put it on wheels, then it becomes a mobile home.

>buyed

Why not just live in an RV? Then you get the added benefit of being able to live anywhere.

How do you connect one of those diy shitboxes to utilities? It's nice to have electricity and plumbing in your little fort. At least an RV has the proper connections to live like a hobo all the time. Seems like it'd be fun for a week and then you'd want a normal apartment. No we don't want to be normie we such independent wow

You would literally roast in summer

>they've never heard of a window AC.
>they've never heard of an electric heater.

This is my problem with american homebuilders. Manuf homes are suppose to be cheap! They have have now made them "hip" and wont do anything for under 50000 and that doesnt include utilities . I can buy a brick house for that.

Can you post a pic of this tiny house? I'm into diy and curious about it

I recommend factory (pre fab) built homes. They are actually stronger than a home and mobile home, but cheaper to build than a home.

The downside is they look kind of like a mobile home

>and that doesnt include utilities
why would you live that way again? Are you underage? You'll shower and shit at your gym? Seriously?

Yes. If you are interested in shipping containers or imitation crab meat, you should visit /diy/.

The container and tiny house thing are both memes.

You should buy a $150,000 starter home or build one if you are capable.

CT major here.

First off, if you want it on the ground like pic related, you need to check local building codes. There's square footage and height restrictions to do something permit-free. In my area a 120sq. ft shed is the biggest you can go without permits. That looks 8x20 which cant be built here. Permits mean engineers, architects, and subcontractors to approve of a permanent building. It also means it needs to be set into a permanent foundation, ruining its portability. A trailer can only be so wide, long, and tall, too.

You also need to consider where you will get electricity, gas, and water. There's easy ways around it if you can build it without permits, but once you need permits for building, you need permits for everything else, too.

And on top of all that bullshit, shipping containers make terrible homes. Flat roofs + rain=rusted roof. You need to build a proper roof for it, so be prepared to hire a welder. The walls, in a shipping container are no more than 1/8" sheet metal. That means zero insulation. You would have to frame interior 2x4 walls with insulation to be comfortable, which means less space inside, and possibly a 2x6 or 2x4 floor. is retarded, those those are inefficient without insulation, have fun running them 24/7.

The best thing for you to do if local building codes stop you is to:

1. Buy or build your own tiny home (on wheels)

2. Buy a fifth wheel
And then find land to rent from someone, providing they also have utilities. Having a trailer bypasses all local building code regulations. Portability means you can move to cheaper locations in a matter of days, or in case you get kicked out for some reason. You would also need permission to dump grey water on the owners property, or if local regulations make grey water illegal, you need to find a proper sewer inlet to dump grey water. If you don't have a composting toilet, that means a blackwater system which always needs a sewer to dump. Have fun.

he means its more to include utilities you fucking mong

>I buyed

Nigger nobody wants to live in Detroit.

Literally take the measurements of a shipping container, build it with 8-inch thick insulation if you live anywhere that isn't desert.

Won't even notice the difference, besides not needing to get your own insulation

Just get a singlewide manufactured home, they're less than $30,000 new.

Only if you're a nigger in Africa getting both the land and the rusty steel box for free.

The US hates people living off grid and most states have made it as difficult as possible to live cheaply in simple shelters.

You can get used RVs for less and actually have running water available. You just need to pump out and refill your tanks every week or two of you're boondocking instead of putting it in a campsite with hookups. Or you can do most of your shit and showers at a 24/7 gym on the cheap while parking for free at Walmarts.

You can buy entire houses in depressed cites for less of you can deal with living in neighborhoods destroyed by niggers.

You can buy small tricked out sheds or clubhouses where they just deliver you all the parts and you put it together like the world's biggest IKEA cabinet for less.

Don't be like those "tiny house" manbun wearing virtue signalling "Nexus I care about the environment" faggits that decided to blow $150,000 on a solar powered yurt.

In Copenhagen they started making temporary homes for students in container homes like pic related. It seems quite cheap to do yeah but I know nothing about it desu. I altså read about someone here on biz who bought an old ambulance for a few hundred of bucks and bought year long parking at his school and lived in that while using the school gym for showers lol

You can get ex railway maintenance vans that they used in rural areas, basically a fairly big van with a bed, sink, microwave that could probably run one of those portable camping showers

I didnt realise Denmark had cuck sheds too

>buyed

where was it, det- oh joke has been made already. twice. still.

>buyed

That was a funny thread brother
>mfw now i remembered my econ homework since i was lurking during that time

i have worked in a container in the winter a single 800W electric heater easily turned it into an oven.

a shipping container of 40ft will cost you around 2k and probably an other 1k to insulate it and put in a few windows if you like for a few extra bucks.

i just saw an office container, with insulation windows doors flooring connectors everything and nice looking interior and exterior sell for $4k.

all you have to do is throw in a bed and a microwave and you can live in it. maybe a desk for your computer/laptop and a few drawers.

i'm starting to fucking love this idea. i can get a little piece of land where you won't even get permission to build on and put one of these on it and assemble solar panels on the top with a backup generator and batteries and a satellite internet connection and i would have everything i need sans washing myself. it would barely cost the fraction of any other type of home.

>no plumbing
>no wiring
>no appliances
You forget that singlewides come with all this shit including toilets, a stove, fridge, sink etc

yeah i get the toilet problem, but to get a home built here you need to jump through bureocratic bullshit and pay tax and whatnot. however for a "mobile" home that can be moved which is not a permanent structure you pay nothing and barely any regulations.

i was thinking get an other container next to it remodeled as a bathroom and keep the water tank and associated plumbing in that.

you have to rough it to some degree. i don't deny that. but it would be a thousand times more comfy than living in a car.

>worthless yard to tend
>worthless rooms and closets you have nothing to put into
>having to rent to human beings aka roomates
would rather pay less than a mortgage and rent

Manufactured homes are mobile homes. It becomes a permanent structure if you permanently anchor it. However moving it just 100 miles is usually about $1,500 USD.

>tfw americans can buy a home for the price of a new car
You so lucky

>Manufactured homes are mobile homes.
yeah well not here, not only they are more expensive by 50-100% compared to murrican prices because they don't have an economy of scale more like a curiosity but also subject to the same legislation, see i know these can be moved but it's a bigger deal than just push a container over a few meters. you have to move them every few weeks so they don't become a "permanent structure" it would cost more than a monthly rent with a prefab.

>where do you shit

>not just moving into a mobile/manufactured home community for ~$200 a month

Why are humans so obssessed with boxes?

300 years ago almost no one had a home, They lived in teepees and rode horses bareback across the plains.

Now we sit in our boxes starring at screens all day. And perhaps the worst part about it is the fact we dont even really own our box prisons.

Why did we enslave ourselves?

>300 years ago almost no one had a home, They lived in teepees and rode horses bareback across the plains.
maybe in north america everywhere else people had homes for a long time.

That's what i mean. In north America.

People lived just fine without homes. The native peoples had shit figured out. They lived in harmony with nature.

and there was what a hundred thousand of them? we can no longer live in harmony with nature unless a vast majority of humans die out.

they didn't figure shit out, they figured out sleeping with insects biting your nuts and starting plagues every other weekend I guess. Dying to the exposed elements at the drop of a hat, ridiculous infant mortality, and all this great fun stuff only viable due to tiny populations like said

kill yourself for buying into the noble savage meme

I agree there are too many of us but since space colonization is still very far off a human population decline is likely to happen. After that it will be back to basics.

You have to understand without the ability to travel at lightspeed or bend space time space colonization is not possible. Terraforming mars is a pipedream. I beleive our masters merely dangle the promise of space in front of us like a piece of cheese in front of a mouse.

People are still dying from diseases today. Dying is just a part of living.

yeah and despite that platitude im sure you do your best to avoid disease regardless

step one of that is finding real shelter and basic hygiene

Shelter in a teepee with a small fire is sufficient for survival. Like i said. You will die of disease in your mansion just the same as in a teepee.

Then please go complete your life cycle then, so we don't have to see your bullshit.

no you literally will not and not it absolutely is not sufficient

You will struggle finding a piece of property that will allow you to build such a thing.

You will struggle selling the property once you do build such a contraption. That's why "tiny homes" are such a terrible investment. They depreciate faster than mobile home trailers and are almost impossible to sell used.

Your utility bills are going to be through the roof. Take a look at metal mobile homes. You'll be paying out the ass using window AC units every Summer and then paying out the ass in the winter trying to keep with warm with little to no insulation. You aren't going to be able to insulate a metal box as you could a traditional home with 1' to 1 1/2' foot of room between walls for insulation.
As a single male, I would consider these options
A) Look at townhouses and condos to buy. Less maintenance and upkeep for a single person. Much smaller so utilities will be cheaper as well. You will be paying HOA but won't have to deal with any plumbing/electrical/foundation repairs typically.

B) The cuck option would be to rent. It only makes sense if you live in a location where you can't afford real estate, or your credit isn't that developed. But in most areas your mortgage will be no more expensive than rent, which offers no return and is paying for somebody else to own real estate while you own nothing.

seriously take your hippy dippy trash and fuck off

I will continue to live with my parents

>haha overpaying into your condo association's slush fund is definitely not basically just paying rent on top of a mortgage!
>100% free of cuckoldry!

>You have to understand without the ability to travel at lightspeed or bend space time space colonization is not possible.
very much not true. you don't need magic travel to colonize space. continuous 1g travel with fusion drives is more science now than science fiction. and would open up a lot of possibilities.

The nearest planet that may support life is light years away. That means by the time you get there and set everything up everyone back on earth will be dead.

Only way to get that far and back within a resonable period of time is to bend space.

no you don't know much physics do you?
traveling with 60-80% light speed is not out of reach for mankind. if a single trip for a colony fleet to a planet 4.2 light years away takes 20 years so be it. we can definitely do that. we could even do generation ships.

but nobody said we need to colonize planets we can actually terraform. our ability to live in space underground or just about anywhere even in zero g opens up a lot of possibilities even in the solar system itself.

you think humans need a planet side friendly ecosystem to live? you are so fucking wrong. what we need really is the ability to create climate controlled spaces where we can grow in hydroponics and fish tanks/lakes and or produce artificial nutrients from minerals.

here is a little graph showing round-trip times.

sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-surplus-airbeam-shelter-32039-x-20039-new?a=2065050

$6k

>Shelter from a teepee was sufficient
Most Natives didn't live in teepees, the term natives is a blanket term for the indigenous people here. Some native nations/tribes that lived in warmer climates bathed regularly and had permanent shelter.

>Why are humans so obsessed with power

Fixed that for ya

i'm obsessed with power because without my laptop and the internet i feel bored out of my mind.

Why not just live in a train car?

>mobile, get to see and experience many different cities
>built in security provided by the company
>free food/supplies from the other carts
>easy access to drugs and prostitues

How about an old refrigerated trailer? 10'X53'. Built in AC/Heating, walls have some insulation.

I might have to do this...

science fiction mumbo jumbo my friend.

even 80% of light speed is not fast enough. even the top physisists all agree that the way to do it is to send robots and AI.

Sending humans would take years and require vast resources to sustain them.

>being deplorable disgusting uncultured untouchable trailer trash

This thread is about refined gentlemen living in post modern deconstructionist housing units such as a shipping container or a tiny house. While the uninformed plebeian may at first glance associate such forms of residence as similar to a single wide or mobile home they would be gravely mistaken. Be gone vile man! Peddle your chinese drywall urea formaldehyde Barbie house on the Home Shopping Network!

Cost effective in the sense that you'll get cancer and then stop costing anyone anything because you're dead.

Shipping containers aren't meant to hold human beings. They're treated with paints and chemicals that aren't good for people.

If you want to live small, buy the materials to a Tumbleweed Home and build it yourself. At least that way it can be put on wheels and you can move it if/when you have to.

What an ugly, disgusting piece of garbage. A container at least has a certain cache to it. A sort of "around the world' feel to it.

Agreeing with this esteemed individual.

>even 80% of light speed is not fast enough.
not enough for what? comfortably reach a habitable planet in an other star system in a few years? are you that bad at elementary math?

satan be gone!

>caring about looks rather than functionality
Are you a woman or gay?

>being a redditor

Ok first off. No.

I have been working on a buisness plan to build and sell these to hipsters for a while. Heres what I found out.

1. They wont look anything like that. Glass and windows are expensive and are like anti-insulation.
2. you need to build an interior frame for insulation like said so you are gonna lose a good 32 feet of square footage to just that.
3. unless you live in the middle of nowhere no one is going to approve your permit. I doesnt matter that its all up to code. They are gonna say no the first time because they hate this kind of stuff. It hurts property values and its "not in the style of the neighborhood". You can get it through with help of a local professional or if you just feel like putting out another couple thousand to go through the process again.
4.once again like said you are going to end up spending more on permits and development fees by far than materials. One town I looked at had 32k per single-family home in just fees before the permitting. Gotta pay for that new library bruh
5.hooking it up to utilities isnt really that hard if you buy land in an established neighborhood, but they will cause a ruckus at city hall to get you shut down.
6. You cant find financing anywhere. I know alot of you are No debt memers, but spending all this dosh on a depreciating asset is not a good idea. Better to finance it and enjoy your sub 200$ rent from the bank.

What it really comes down to is that these need to be sold as pre-approved factory built manufacture homes. You could easily sell one of these things for 25k if it was a licensed manufactured home. But the start up costs for an entire factory for these things is insane.

Someday I hope I can sell you idiots these meme homes at a cheap price. But its looking pretty bleak until intrest rates rise high enough that banks will consider loans under 50k, however at that point the housing market will be cheap enough to make it redundant.

(you)

shipping container/small houses are the 21st century's trailers