Redpill me on buying an older luxury car for an exceedingly low price

Redpill me on buying an older luxury car for an exceedingly low price.

>luxury quality
>low price

Am I missing something here?

Maintenance

depends on the model and more importantly,how the car you're eyeing up has been treated
gonna keep it simple and say if you want a solid,depreciated luxury car get a 6cyl e39 or a w140
if you want an old jaguar,x type or xj are your best bets
you'll save a lot of money if you do some of the upkeep yourself

>Am I missing something here?
You're missing the fact that it once was a $50k car and while parts costs may have dropped slightly, they'll still be more expensive than your average Camry or something.

>Jaguar

Because you'll need to buy a second one to drive while the other is in the shop

the w211 are pretty cheap too but early ones have radiator issues (engine oil and trans oil mixing together) and the SBC issues tho you can fix those for quite cheap depending on the issue I would say look into them

This, though there are more mercedes models than just the w140 that would be solid choices

yeah honestly if you know what you're doing almost any model can be a solid choice,except a fucking like an s600 or anything with an amg badge and a turbo of some sorts
even the chrysler era models,to some extent

>rebadged ford mondeo
>luxury
pick one. a car is only luxurious if it has features that a top of line accord doesn't today.

>anything with an amg badge

why do you think it's harder to work on an amg than any normal mercedes?

How is that cheap? It's a 15 year old "british" car...

common sense

X-Type was the Ford Mondeo, not the S-type

I'm not sure what you call "luxury" but that jag is basically equal in luxury than an old acura TL. A drug dealer I knew had one of these, it was basically shittier than my Accord. Did not age well and most of them have old ford duratec v6 engines.

this is what people dont get about buying used luxury cars. if they couldnt afford to maintain it when it was new, they cant afford to maintain it when its used. the main offenders of this are old 7 series bmws, W220 E class or S class, and a lot of jaguars

I've been wondering this as well, OP

Why would a mercedes have small block chevy issues?

Depends where you live. Cheap old Jags and BMWs are fine in the UK as parts are cheap and all mechanics know how to work on them as they are common. Bit of a nightmare in the US with expensive parts and lots of mechanics turning them away.

Same story if you tried to run an American car here - would be cheap as fuck for you guys but a pain in the arse here due to parts and no one having experience working on them.

Yeah, the S-type is the Lincoln LS underneath with all that that implies.

Here's what is going to happen when you buy a 20 years old luxury sedan for 5K. You will spend double of that by the end of the year in maintenance. You may be thinking 'oh it's just electronics shit, who needs rear heated seats' and no, it will be drivetrain related aswell. New rear suspension? We're starting at 5K. Autotranny gives up the ghost? 7K replacement part, 2K from scrapyard. Engine is loosing compression? 10K rebuild or pull another one from scrapyard for 2K and repeat procedure every 2 years until your country runs out of engines.

This.
It's the kind of car where you need two of them - one of them is the parts donor.

Ones best bet is an old merc - parts aren't that expensive from dealers funnily enough. If it were me buying an old merc, i'd definately go pre 1996, so the w124, w123, w201 etc... maybe a w140.

Don't.

>pre-1996
Isn't that around the time Merc was at it's worse in reliability? I would have thought a 70s or mid-2000s and up would have been a better choice.

>that
Buy a used Lexus that hasn’t been owned by a nigger