/ovg/ - Godzilla edition

Veeky Forums's premiere video game shitposting containment thread

Previous Thread at Our Wiki will answer every question you could possibly have. All frequently asked questions can easily be found on the main page itself:
>get-good.net

Swing by our Mumble server and introduce yourself!
>Mumble IP: mumble.get-good.net
>Port: 64738

Spam the James emoji on the Discord
>Discord id: hXmJrJr

Join the /ovg/ group on Steam!
>steamcommunity.com/groups/ovgonsteam

Equipment Guide
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uLKMbKwweUZ3QvFeNs8UeycZbDyo0McxGj7T6uTaTNo/edit#gid=0

We're racing rFactor and AC on the weekends. Check out our Google doc for more info!
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3KWTJsrlS9X2EZUNXY8KbHfsHD-t3_EU_A1n6wBBQc

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1164148489&searchtext=intersection
my.mixtape.moe/tpoxjn.webm
my.mixtape.moe/pvvwdw.webm
pastebin.com/t0Jma204
my.mixtape.moe/otegzt.webm
pastebin.com/AD8qUtzk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for GMOD karts

t

Rubbin is racin boys

the level of detail you manage with those is genuinely impressive desu

Is this SecondLife?

Where's RR3 guy when we need him?

Does Dirt know how many degrees to lock my G27 from rotating too much depending on the car so it matches real life degrees of rotation?

thanks bb
yes

Nice collisions

I wonder what the new buildings are going to become.
Also fucktarri has a paint booth now, so that's cool.

>missed the forza race

would these be build-able in real life? also what game

xth for join ovgr.4 already

you tell me, senpai.

>tfw no /ovglego/ touge runs

damn, what game tho

>implying we can't

xcom 4

pls tell me the game, im inept

look at the picture you tard, i took it there for a reason

as i said, i am inept. what do you expect

>posts screenshot with gigantic text
>doesn't google it

inept is right

Name a better game

I'm tryina play nfs:mw on pc (original 2005 version master race) but my old logitech driving force wheel pedals aren't working, the wheel is turning fine though.
I installed the logitech controller software and it says it hasn't even detected the wheel.
Any tips?

hey does someone know how to run rally championchip 2000 correctly on windows 7 ?
the sound desync after a while and the game crash.
that be neato.

>rally 2000
Is this the next Rally2k we've been waiting for?

Intersection Track
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1164148489&searchtext=intersection

/ovgbrickrigsgokarts/ fucking when?

Try setting affinity to a single core. I've never played r2k but it works on other shit.

k ill try this thanks

k ill try this thanks

k ill try this thanks

you can't patch perfection

thanks this i'll try k

New thread when?

i played some assetto corsa today and i had a lot of fun
when was the last time you had fun playing a racing game

yesterday on the ovgtcc race

I've been lurking the thread since GT Sport came out and seeing some of these webbums of shitty arcade racers got me seeking out stuff to play on emulator. Playing Ford Racing right now and, while it's dated crap, it's fun for what it is.

>tfw just realized that i'm having fun every time i play racing games
feels good

no seriously, it's really unique when you think about it. games become boring after enough time spent in them, even warband can be boring - but somehow i play racing games a lot for over two years now and it's only getting more and more fun

i think it comes down to the fact that there's always something to be improving at
i get the same feeling when i play rocket league which is probably why i have over 1k hours in it

I don't know about that, I found RL to be absolute shit and dropped it after 2 hours yet I have at least 3k hours in racing games and still having fun overall

in the same way that racing sims aren't for everyone, neither is rocket league
gotta have the right autism

mid-00s budget racing games were the pinnacle of the genre

not that guy but off the top of my head, probably a hardware issue. emulation is shitty because computation power isn't like a bucket of sand that you have tons of of or not a lot of -- things are computed in very specific ways. Some computer equipment simply isn't built to handle that sort of calculation.

Why this is the case has to do with literal physical engineering -- physical chips can be optimized better than code for specific operations. It's why video cards outpace CPUs for video performance.

A modern PC can calculate anything given, and the key differences are the time it takes and how many levels of interpretation the problem and solution have to go through. But in early computing, things were much more rigidly defined, on much more rigid hardware, and not all of that hardware is still known nor has all the known hardware's engineering leaked, nor are there enough nerds who still care to understand or fucking reverse-engineer the known engineering. Some do exist, but please consider the capabilities of disjointed nerds on Discord and Github versus corporate-paid design teams doing 9-to-5 AND 1800-to-0800 shifts.

Anyway, the tl;dr is that to make the calculations that might have been trivial before is non-trivial now, and the way calculations were made at all may have been lost entirely over time.

Even modern emulators or modern consoles suffer from this; That one star wars X-Wing game on Gamecube is considered a holy grail of GC emulation because it has never, ever worked right. Wind Waker is a close second, because Nintendo is known for making games that never crash or fail graphics despite all other broken-ness, but WW was unplayable on Dolphin for a long time. It only became playable fairly recently, like in 2014 or something.

what the fuck

Dirt Rally shitter here, since you were asking for a video to give me some advice. My footwork is non existent. Manual H shifter + clutch.

my.mixtape.moe/tpoxjn.webm

Racing is all about self-improvement, the act of driving is a kind of meditation. When you are behind the wheel, your mind is at one with the machine.

it seems like you're relatively new to racing in general, i'd suggest maybe getting used to the concepts of racing lines and feeling the amount of grip you have in another sim before trying dirt rally but specifically for dirt rally, you're not paying a ton of attention to the codriver and are basically driving by sight which will either make you slow or get you killed
overall though, you're going about as fast as anyone at the very start can, you just need to get more confident and get experience which you can only get by driving more and failing more

Yesterday, playing assetto Corsa
I need to jump back in to iracing but fucking around on akina pass online is too much fun

shit user, you just kinda suck for now. you're clearly afraid of braking or accelerating while turning, prooly because you can't countersteer properly yet. Is it what, your first or second week with a wheel?

just be patient and practice, you'll get better in no time.

>you're not paying a ton of attention to the codriver
I try but sometimes I can't hear that fucker saying "long 6 immediately into right 1".

>you're clearly afraid of braking or accelerating while turning
yes
>prooly because you can't countersteer properly yet
yes
>your first or second week with a wheel?
third day

gonna practice and practice more

literally ignoring the co-driver
>can't hear that fucker
lower all volumes to 50%, set co-driver volume to 100%

disable the visual pace notes and try only listening to the co-driver

if you mishear or are uncertain what's ahead, make slowing down your default behavior rather than going flat out

when Race Driver Grid (the first one) still had multiplayer, I kind of got good in it, then they shut it down

For a starter sim I highly suggest Live for Speed. The demo version will do. First of all try to tackle the road courses in the three available vehicles to get a feeling for the vehicle grip levels and weight. Then switch to rallycross tracks and compare the grip levels and how to use the weight shift to your advantage on the dirt.

god please don't remind me of that
>join a random drift lobby because I was a faggot
>some dude just kept his combo going for at least 10 minutes

i got this one in a cereal

From a quick overlook I would say you aren't shit, just new, I would say you are even doing good for how much time you spent.

Will look over it and give you some detailed advise on what to work on and how to do it later. Just check this on this thread later.

Would people actually do /ovglego/ touge runs?
I'd buy it then

"teleports behind you"

if youre new to a wheel i wouldnt try dirt rally
thats like learning to fly in an f16
also if youre focusing on the wheel+pedals youre not focusing on the codriver and track

hello
lets talk about test drive unlimited

wow roblox looks great since the last time i've played it

I loved that game a few years back

very good concepts, loads of content, great idea, decent setting
shit core gameplay

another successful french racing game

I only ever played the demo and it seemed extremely cheap.

They bit off way more than they could chew with the map size and the entire game suffered because of it. It looks awful, the cars drive like shit, and the roads are the most boring shit in the world. Sure, you can drive anywhere you want, but you'd have to be a fucking madman to do it because offroading feels even worse than just driving normally.

I knew somebody that got the achievement for driving on every road in that game.

YOU'RE IN FIRST PLACE
IT'S THE FINAL LAP!

I want a game where I can do touge with people online. Suggestions?

there are a few pretty autistic touge servers in Assetto Corsa

Okay so, first I am going to give you general advise on what to work on and how and after that I will give you some specific advise on the mistakes you made in the video.

General Stuff:

Currently your driving experience is made of 3 major components.

1.)Your comfort, experience, skill with wheel, pedals and shifter.
By this I mean how consistently can you turn the wheel from lock to lock if needed during tight turns one after another. How fast is your counter-steer. How much modulation can you do with your break and gas pedal, in that the whole point of the pedals is that you get to pick the precise amount of input and if you only have 3-4 states for either pedal then you are missing out on finer control. Other stuff like being able to consistently switch gears(you fucked up a couple of times).

Here I would suggest you just pick a track with a long straight that you can use and just work your way through the gears up and down to build some comfort and speed, your brain should not spend any extra brain power on this process during a race.
Also practice doing some fast rotation of the wheel. Not nessesarily form lock to lock, but it should be big enough that you can counter steer and make tight turns with it. Just think on the hand work of doing that consistently and fast, you later can work out just how much counter-steer you need but you can't utilize it if you are slow.

2.)Your comfort, experience and skill with the car.
Now that you can comfortably use your tools, you need to work on getting comfortable with a car. You need to be comfortable enough where you can make it behave in a way you desire. You probably will have little troubles with going straight even with bumps and jumps. But turns is something you need to feel comfortable with.

To this end, pick a home track. You need to find a track what has some tight twists and turns in the first minute of the track. You will memorize this part of the track to the point where you don't need the copilot. The key is to focus on purely you and the car, not the copilot giving you directions.

Repeat your home track 50-100 times, try different breaking times, amounts, different turn in degrees, try scandy-flicks, (DON'T use handbrake unless it's an acute turn)
Try to reliably build up a result in each corner and once you start taking the same turn in the same way, try to make it better by changing small things.

This step is boring for some and you should never memorize tracks because it goes against the rally spirit, but in your case this step is vital to get a good feeling for the car.

3.)Your comfort, experience and skill of the track you are driving on.

Here you want to focus on your ability to quickly process the information the co-driver is giving you.

First disable the hud, reduce the volume of everything else and make the codrivers volume at 100%. You need to be able to hear him consistently no matter how hard you are driving and how loud your engine is.

Start off by opening a youtube video of some random fuck playing dirt rally, with no commentary or music.
Now close your eyes, sit back and let the video play out. As the co driver is giving out calls, imagine the track in front of you.
You need to imagine it as fast as the guy is barking out calls and this takes practice, so don't even attempt to doing it while being overwhelemed with your controls and the car it's self.

If it's very hard to do this step for you then try slowing the video down. Or try taking a piece of paper and drawing the track out on paper as the calls come out.

Now naturally you aren't supposed to be perfect and drawing or imagining a left 2 instead of a left 4 is not that terrible, but you need to have the direction correct always and never mistake acute,hairpin,square, or 1, 2 turns with something like a 5 or a 6.

Now, this step isn't that important and you should only go for this if you want to tryhard. For me having the hud on makes it retardedly easier to driver than actually listening to the guy and taking the extra brain power to imagine what is ahead instead of just looking at the icons. But this is something that will help build your understand of the pacenotes at the very least and at the very best makes it easier to go fast on new tracks.

Have you guys seen that bug in F7 where you can slightly move your car while in the lobby?

Yep.

As for specific examples form your video.

0:06 At the very start you are hammering your gas pedal and reving your engine to the max. This is not recommended, use those 5 seconds to fine tune the feel for the gas pedal, try to blip it near to the redline but never actually hitting it.
Depending on the game you also don't want to just floor it because it will cause unnecessary wheel spin as you start off. You should understand this concept because on things like ice, in a RWD if you just floor it your back tires will spin and you will be going nowhere.

0:44 You are in a RWD not a FWD or even AWD. You can't turn like that. Both FWD and AWD pull the car in the direction you face the tires, think of it like pulling a shoping cart after you, making tight turns is relatively easy because you can just pull it in the right direction.
RWD cars are different, it's more like pushing that shoping cart with one hand from the back and then trying to make a turn. The difference is that you can't pull out of a bad setup as easily.
So because you are pushing it from the back you need to turn in and start pushing it in the direction you want it to go a bit earlier than with the other type of cars.
Another example, if you played a musical instrument is that RWD cars need to played 1 note ahead.
Back ot the example at 0:44 you should have stomped the brakes for 0.3 seconds and turned in before you even reached the top of the crest. The inertia of the car would keep it sliding in the direction you were originally going and push you into the corner, except now you come out into the corner facing the right way and you can start going on the throttle carefully(so you don't spin out)

>Another example, if you played a musical instrument is that RWD cars need to played 1 note ahead.

It obviously applies when you're playing with a guitar hero controller not a wheel you dumb fuck

at 0:48 you should have just pushed in the clutch and keep the wheel position as it is, as soon as the car is facing the right way you ease of the clutch and add gas in first gear and you get to move on from your mistake.
If you have a hard time doing that consistently because of the timing. Then just push in the clutch, and as soon as the car is facing the right direction you stomp the brakes to stop the car facing there, after which you can basically do a standing start.

0:54 you start banging the revs against the redline at the end of each gear, this is inefficient try to not do that. The only time you should be redlining like that is if you are in max gear, or because you know that in the next 1-2 seconds you will need to slow down anyway so switching up a gear only to instantly switch back down is pointless.
The other reason might be is that you just hold down the gas while switching gears but this is not recommended as well.

1:15, your turn in is correct but you are way to slow on the countersteer, you also should have switched gears and powered out of that corner. So again, faster counter-steer, lower gear, more throttle coming out.

1:45 You slowed down enough for the left 1 turn but you were very slow on the throttle, you should be going on the gas in turns because in RWD cars it helps you turn more. The only time you want to be avoiding that is if you are already going so fast that any extra speed might make you crash.
But there is literally no reason not to go on the throttle early with RWD if you slowed down enough for the turn. Try it, if you spin out then you know that you went with too much to early, but eventually you will learn and love RWD cars for it.

What's wrong with the newer F1 games?
just wondering if it's worth picking up the Codemasters bundle.

Shit, i forgot to post small caterham posts through entire week. Anyways, today's caterhams (20:00 utc/after mario party, bridgehampton) will definitely happen.

Holy shit m8, thanks a lot. Capped everything. How many hours in DR do you have?

Nothing, they're really solid. The bundle is well worth it.

2011 has really dumb physics but the paddock shots
2012 is pretty good but kinda generic
2014 is worthless, basically a reskin of 2013 with really terrible sounds (even for V6Ts), more glitches, and a hidden pad assist
2015 has plenty of bugs and feels really empty compared to previous games, with only a shitty championship mode where you drive as a real world driver
2016 is really, really good

If you're interested only in the F1 games, don't bother with the second tier. But I'd really recommend 2016 because it's worth it and a very good game.

1:48 would have gone down to possibly even first gear(but 2nd gear is probably better for you) and powered out of that hairpin, also you were slow on the counter-steer compared to your throttle input when going out which is why at 1:52 you car isn't straightening out but instead still turning to the right.
In effect this is exactly what the RWD car does under throttle, so utilize is in corners and minimize it on corner exit.

3:10, should have been in lower gear. It's not a problem if you want to slow down and go in safe, but be in the proper gear to accelerate out of it then as well.

3.20 Again, one tempo behind, turn in slightly early into the turn, RWD cars slide and need to be turned slightly ahead of a FWD.

3.37 Probably missed the co drivers notes but if you feel like you don't know what the co driver said, and you can't see the turn then breaking just a bit before it is a safe bet. You can always accelerate into or out of a turn, you only get one shot at slowing down the car though and that is before the turn.
So again there you should have stomped the brakes before hand and slided into the turn and powered out. You essentially did exactly that, the car took the right trajectory but 2 tempos behind of what it should have been which is why you ended in the post instead of the middle of the track..

jesus christ what the hell

>mfw you can see other players' crazywings

>still only 2 entries in rally event have co-drivers

another practice video:
my.mixtape.moe/pvvwdw.webm
notes:
pastebin.com/t0Jma204

previous:
my.mixtape.moe/otegzt.webm
pastebin.com/AD8qUtzk (expires in 3 hours)

And I am mostly done. I mean there is a lot more stuff that can be said but I think you have enough shit to go over, practice and process to last you for at least couple of weeks if not a month.

Hope you have fun mate.
Also be sure to post some webms from time to time as well.

replace 2016 with 2017 idk what this guy is on

tbf, I would've put myself down as a co-driver, but I still don't know whether I can actually make it.

t. a lot of people, I imagine