What does Veeky Forums think of beamng.drive?

What does Veeky Forums think of beamng.drive?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ROlcK1iCeqI
pastebin.com/jT9euvbP
beamng.com/resources/more-parts-for-t-series.2242/
beamng.com/resources/fwd-awd-t-series.2575/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pretty good. Development is a bit slow but they take feedback well and the community makes some quality mods.

get the fuck off my board

>same exact thread only just a couple days apart

I love you guys for Drive but fucking stop shilling. This shit does not fly well here.

yooo that new map is great
I just wish I had a racing wheel. My controller just doesn't cut it

Id love to test the cars in realistic scenarios but i cant bring myself to buy it

Honestly my all time favorite sandbox game. I've sunk hours into creating different scenarios, and the mods are great too

>! driveshaft broken

does anyone else get jittery replays?

>shit for graphics

no thanks

It's lit. Coming up on 500 hours

what?

No.
Something in your system is bottlenecking the shit out of it

Your retarted? Graphics are bad, literally wothless game

He's a babby that only gets impressed by eyecandy and nothing else, so he doesn't get the point of all this at all

Consolefag detected.

It's pretty neat OP.

I kinda fear the day they implement realistic weather with rain drops on the windscreen, snow, and a realistic night mode because then I will probably spend dangerous amounts of time on that shit

honestly it's already a solid comfy sim but if they reach that level then it's all over

Sure would be nice if it had VR support. The current car games offering VR support are all no-fun sims

I doubt whatever engine they use could handle that given how badly fps drops when you turn on your fucking headlights.
That'd be interesting. Just watching the car crumple around you and in some cases, through you.

I love it, especially with the new map. One of the only EA games where the devs consistenly update it with content.

It's not a EA game, ya spastic

early access, dingus

lol, my bad

Really fun to fuck around in.

Why the fuck is the Bruckell Moonhawk so fucking sexy.

I don't even like 70s muscle. What the fuck.

One of my favorite games and possibly the best driving game. If I had a wheel I'd enjoy it a lot more, because there's only so much you can do with keyboard controls.

i have to say, unlike a lot of fictional cars the beamng cars feel very believable and correct

My 760 was set on fire after tossing a truck off a mountain. Been too spooked to play since then despite my 980ti.

M O O N H A W K

What are some good car model mods? Loved the shit out of the Del Sol but it breaks my game now.

I dont think Id ever call it sexy

but its just a Dodvey Monvelle

Satsuma 210
Oldsmobile/Codename Fullsize
Prasu
Maluch

really not many mods I fuck with

Is this something where you need to build a dedicated gaming pc to get tolerable performance?

Any mods by NintetyNine (Bolide Corse, Mirimar Z Widebody, ETK S-Series)
Fait One
Eris Coucal, especially the SpiersDrag model
The Renault Clio mod under a different name (Charmand something)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX
Prasu
Oldfullsize with all the expansions
Any Megapacks with skins and configurations
ETK-800 Coupe/Sedan pack
The Pigeon STi-G despite being outdated still works great

yeah, even my 1070 has a bit of trouble with the new map on max settings lmao

>new york taxi die simulation

My only real complaint, well, there's two.

First, doors don't fly off of cars. Like, ever. It is very rare to see any accident where the door isn't crumpled while still remaining shut from any angle collision. All games need to fix this crash physics problem. Not just Beam.

Two, every time I play it, I feel the vehicles get damaged too easily, and the vehicles are notoriously hard to drive well. At least using my keyboard. Guess that is three.

Otherwise, my autism is satisfied by creating the biggest crash possible.

I ran it fine on a ancient 9650 and some shit AMD.

fun game

I agree about the crashing. There's been many a time where I wondered why the car didn't tear in half. I think that just has to do with how the cars are modelled. The actual driving around is pretty accurate, though. At least with a controller.

If games like GTA would incorporate these physics the world would be a better place.

I have literally never played any videogame for 500 hours. Shit my entire steam library combined doesn't even add up to 500 hours.

there's a reason why beamng isn't multiplayer though, it's because this shit is expensive to process and other games are using that processing power for, y'know, gameplay and multiplayer and stuff

PS4 could easily process that.

a ps4 could process beamng, but beamng is a game that freaks out when there's more than a bare few cars onscreen
needless to say, there are better ways to do this that, while significantly less authentic or impressive, get the job done well enough for your average person to believe it

>inb4 dirt rally with these physics

>multiplayer beamng
the physics engine runs at 1000hz. you would have to send a packet of ALL the physics nodes every THOUSANDTH of a second and have them arrive within a 60th of a second as to not create rubber banding. Each car has hundreds of nodes which have position information and other state information such as other nodes it is connected to.
Not possible now, not possible within the next twenty years.

You clearly don't understand how udp works.

I retract the "send every thousandth" part. You only need to send every 60th of a second or better, but you need to include all the physics frames between. The packets would be massive

the game's already a solid rally sim, it doesn't have tire wear but it'll punish you for taking things too aggressively and then you'll really have to limp it home
if you're suggesting processing crash information on a server and then sending it down to people when they could potentially be making more inputs during that time, uh
you don't know how the internet works

That exactly how lag compensation on multiplayer works dumbo

the physics collisions have to be perfectly synced across all clients, there is no way around it with this sim. You give an input on your computer and you have to wait until the server processes the physics and sends back the physics info (all of it) within a single frame. It simply isn't feasible.

the difference is that people get a little mad when they die and their body moves a little bit to where the server thinks they died, people don't play your game when whenever you crash the game constantly needs to update from the server because it can't even estimate what's going on clientside and you just see a bunch of terrible keyframes for your car crash

>he physics collisions have to be perfectly synced across all clientst
no multiplayer game does this. Say two players crash into each other for instance. They both see completely different things on their respective screens. Physics are processed and displayed locally first. I know this for a fact as I own 2 ps4s and I play against myself all the time. I've even developed a port of BeamNG that I'll be releasing to the public once it's finished.
nah

>fine for one frame and completely crushed in the second because on someone else's screen, they hit me

fuck off, it literally will not work

not with that attitude mister

>Physics are processed and displayed locally first
okay, then your problem of not having enough processing power to do this on the scale of a proper multiplayer game is right back congrats all this discussion of netcode counted for fuck all

Just IMAGINE they'd introduce mud physics like in Spintires (if you don't know it yet, look it up).

OR actual snow that slowly stacks up the longer it is snowing... with your tires actually making tracks in the fluffy snow.
Geez.

runs like shit, cars feel like shit, and not having workshop makes it not worth my time

ps4 has more process power than 10 cumputers combined

I have a i3 3220 (2core) from 2012 with a 750Ti and I get between 30 to 60fps depending on how I set the graphics and the track I'm on.

It is quite taxing but absolutely playable.

okay god bless

honestly i'm surprised there hasn't been a distinctly comfy driving game up until now, the comfiest driving games are just side effects of other game design choices

I think the whole comfy thing is a counter "movement" in many aspects of modern life because people are STRESSED THE FUCK OUT by literally everything so I say expect some dedicated comfort entertainment to pop up sooner or later and maybe even a comfy driving sim but to be honest BeamNG is pretty much already just that. They just need to take a bit more care about atmosphere but so far they make great improvements all the time so they might actually reach peak comfy in the near future

oh you're absolutely right on that front, people want to be able to disconnect from the anxiety of modern society which is why we're getting a bunch of people cumming over the 1990s and photos of snowy houses and cars

>This shit does not fly well here.
Good thing this isn't the flying section

Reminds me of the madmen who actually use Drive as flying simulator (which apparently kinda works)

youtube.com/watch?v=ROlcK1iCeqI

>cars feel like shit
>you're telling me that I can't take a tight turn going 150mph?? WTF???

Is it GPU intensive or CPU intensive?

CPU mostly

Physics run over the CPU and those are quite heavy in this simulator.

Graphics are kinda meh because the base engine (Torque 3D) is not as advanced like Unity or Unreal but it still needs a relatively OK gpu to run decently.
Of course you can turn down the graphics to hilariously low levels where you could probably even run it fluently on a Geforce 260 but probably not so much fun doing that.

Overall I'd say 70% CPU, 30% GPU. Especially having more than one car in the scene is where it really starts munch on your CPU

Neato, will check these out, cheers.

>Geforce 260
HA. Try an 8800 GTX equivalent (intel HD 5500)

I can crank textures and mesh up to normal and get playable frames on other maps at 1280x800. West coast is just fucking intense.

What's some dumb shit you do to kill time in this game?

>download the Car jump Arena map
>fuck around with the Moonhawk removing every single non essential part to save weight so I can jump the furthest (can just clear the entire downward section)
>drive the jeep wannabe up to 100km/h and slam it into Low range just to see what will happen
>replace high performance radiators with stock ones and seeing how long it takes to completely kill the engine
>mess around with diffs on every car to try and find the perfect doriftu machine

I am so tempted to get a steering wheel for this game.

>23fps on that fucking map with a HD 5500

That's not bad at all

I had over 200 mods until i cleared some out last week. I just make configs of random shit like this incredibly buggy (but amazing when working) semi crawler.

it's a shame that night drives are still so visually buggy (headlight output way too dark, randomly lit elements (like "glowing" windows) etc

It wasnt a stable 23 though, i"d still get dips into the single digits. Hopefully i can pull myself out of potato Hell to a 3rd gen i5 desktop soon.
Dynamic reflections will fix the windows in most cases, just slam all the bars to low if you need FPS. I've gotten headlights to look nice once, but i forgot how i did it and it might have just been that one map (ghosts desert).

>I am so tempted to get a steering wheel for this game.
FUCKING DO IT.

I got this Thrustmaster Ferrari F430 from a garage sale for 10 bucks and it's brilliant for that money.
I don't want to fucking play any car game with the keyboard anymore.

Doors not shearing off and the engine not being ejected after a savage crash grinds my gears too but other than that I love the physics.

>200 mods

Shit, just by looking on the official site there barely seems 10 worth installing, need to post list and possibly a file for that truck.

If I could find one cheap used I would too, can't justify getting a nice logitech wheel setup for one game.

>nice logitech wheel
I felt the same.
I know the G27 and similar are nice ones but like you I don't see myself dishing out 200 bucks for a fucking toy wheel and the prices are INSANE for really used up ones on ebay too. No, fuck that. The used Thrustmaster one is totally ok for me and I hope you get lucky soon too

Is that a soarer?

I had pic related for my Playstation back in the day and remember how much fucking fun Driver 1 and 2 were with it, sadly I hadn't discovered the joys of GT or any decent racing sim before I sold it all.

Run the Tail of the Dragon until your palms bleed.
Shooting up AI with the technical, or the ME262, or the Gnat, or the quadcopter. Really fun to make a bunch of really fast Moonhawks on the SSRB map then get the technical mod and any mod that adds drag racing parts or configs for the pickup. Spawn the drag pickup then add the gun to it and you can shoot shit up at 250+

Rally Peru is another great track, it's got a decent AI line and it's actually fun just spawning several AI rally cars and playing race marshall as they drive around like mad cunts.

>semi
Save the pastebin as a .pc file in /documents/BeamNG.drive/vehicles/semi. It needs these 2 mods for the awd and wheels/body.
pastebin.com/jT9euvbP
beamng.com/resources/more-parts-for-t-series.2242/
beamng.com/resources/fwd-awd-t-series.2575/
I'm down to 105 mods now. Pic related. Lots of skins, wheels and random parts.

Still haven't messed around much with AI, was just getting the hang of it around a year ago when it was way simpler to have another vehicle either evade or chase you and gave up figuring how to do it when they changed it all.

Noice, cheers.

M O O N H A W K
O
O
N
H
A
W
K

Jesus that looks fun. Is there any way to make it more fun than keyboard controls? Will that funky steam controller help?

Not him but I use a 360 wired controller, can't play any driving games with a KB/M now.

So it's not just me, game runs fine but no matter what settings I choose in OBM it just comes out as a stuttery shitfest.

>graphics generation
Do you only play a game for the graphics or something?
what the fuck is the point of a shit game with good graphics?
id rather play a pixelated shit of a game if it has good gameplay.

>jump half a mile and land on your roof from over 30 feet high
>only damage is to the body, a now leaky radiator and a slight turn to the right when driving forward

ETK I series a best.

Also holy shit, didn't realize they made a drag version of the Burnside Special, this thing fucking hooks it.

Just got it to 370km/h by removing the entire body, don't think I could have gotten the Moonhawk drag variant to that speed doing the same thing, at least without changing the gearing ratio.

damn son San Andreas looking hot

It's definatly a good game about crashing cars.
I love it very much.

>about crashing cars.

It's good that you remind me of that because I just keep cruising around aimlessly or do wild rallies quickly while trying to not crash the car as long as possible

its a crashing sim and a shitty driving game.
>ayy lmao look at all the cars understeering going through a mild corner at 30mph