BMW

Thread for bimmer br/o/s.
Share ultimate driving beauties or cry about our radiators. Also what is your favourite styling era, mine is e30, e34, e32

Other urls found in this thread:

grandforks.craigslist.org/cto/d/bmw-e30-must-sell/6402615936.html
newtis.info/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

making up for that poverty picture OP used with all these pics. saveone of them so next to you make a thread it isn't with 443x332 picture

Phone posting irl

1. don't phonepost
2. you can still save and upload high quality pictures from your phone

How's an e30 for a daily? 4dr leg room good for 6'+?

Yeah man, german cars and bikes are built for tall people in general

If so, I'll probably pick up an e30/36 daily when I go back to the states. That sounds amazing

E36 will probably be less of a hassle over time. But yeah that’s a good idea because bimmers are dirt cheap here. I honestly think bimmer sedans are the best daily drivers hands down. Unless you’re rich enough for porsche.

i'm 5'11, dailyed an E30 for 1.5 year. it's comfy and I fit just fine with extra space.

Got this 98 318i. Gearbox won't go above second. I tried topping up the fluid but it spilled out of the fill hole on the sump. It's GM 4 speed, any ideas? Could it just be filter blockage causing pressure build up?

Need a new trans.
You can get quickfix sealant but it may not work and if it does work it will not last.

Am I wrong in loving the e39 design?

One of the best sedan designs of the 90s/00s. No.

nah man. it's lovely. originally (when i was a moron), i disliked it. i thought the front looked a bit droopy and it was a strange letdown from the e34. it's really grown on me recently, the side profile is top tier

>tfw no e34

soon.

somethin about e36s

Alright, bimmerfags what can you tell me about 7-series BMWs from late 80s to early 2000s?

Are they any good if I'm looking for a somewhat sporty car that is also comfy and practical at the same time? Also how is the reliability?

want

If you want a sense of sport Id say you look into the 5 series
E34 and E39 depending on what you seek
E39 540i/6 speed is a good option or 528i if you prefer simplicity over power

7 series aren’t really sporty, nor are they reliable, but they are super comfortable and classy.

I say listen to gs400, get yourself a 5er. Get a 540 if you have time for wrenching and money for parts, or else get a 525/528/530

I miss my e39 so much even though I love my e60

Same here.

I am currently looking for a manual, 6cyl E36 or E46, but it turns out E39 523s and 528s are similarly priced or even a little cheaper. And on average in a better, more original condition.
Yuro, so although I expected most 5ers to be auto there are plenty manuals around.

Just found out they're not even significantly heavier than E46s, which is nice.

eh imo the non m/msport models look like shit desu, the msport models do look really good though

Reached the point where I get shit daily at work for my choice of car. Not quite sure if the shit talking is just them trying to joke or they are genuinely angry/jelly of me driving a V12.

I haven't even been shitting on them and their choices of Kias and jap buckets that they change every 3 years.

>drive old 3 series
>get shit on by cucks who rotate new astras every 3 years

that feel

desu though, a v12 daily driver doesn't scream of reliablity? then again, i am a beta

It seems to me that they fail to realize that I've bought the V12 landbarges because I enjoy them, not because I want the cheapest shitbox in the class or the one that drives 1.5 million miles before blowing up.

They also aren't all that bad really, surely more maintenance intensive than a regular M50 powered BMW, but nothing a bit of elbow grease and dedication can't fix.
They're also surprisingly simple to work on and mechanically kinda primitive in the end.
The M70 and M73 were SOHC instead of DOHC, used regular plug wires instead of those fancy new coil packs, used distributor caps and so on.
The most modern thing on the engines was probably the hydraulic valves, even BMW themselves realized that mechanically adjustable valves were a fucking ridiculously stupid idea on a engine that tightly packed.

hello
pt1

pt2

>Also what is your favourite styling era
E36
loved mine

this is my current break my wallet machine

giv

E39

>doing timing chain guides+vanos on my 540i rn
>it's been like three weeks on jack stands
>budgeted $1500 but that turned into $1800 with more parts and powder coating my valve covers AND upper timing covers
>A forum guy with all the special tools came over to pop the jesus bolt, do the timing, and press the new vanos seals in, $270 for about 6 hours of his help all told
>the covers won't be done until this coming friday
>the earliest I'll be able to drive it again is saturday or sunday

but man it's clean as fuck now, and I've replaced so much stuff i won't need to touch the engine bay again for a loooooong time except for oil changes

muh bluewater e93

>nut.exe

also while in there i'm doing
>valley pan gasket
>rear accumulator gaskets
>coolant transfer pipe o rings
>intake mainfold gaskets
>water pump gasket
>crank seal
>timing chain tensioner
>belts
>lower rad hose + sensor
>lower water pump to transmission oil cooler pipe
>crankcase vent tube
>oil pan gasket

wew lad

Sorta new to bimmers, thought id share this because id love to pick it up but have nowhere to put a non-running car

grandforks.craigslist.org/cto/d/bmw-e30-must-sell/6402615936.html

>title: salvage
>miles: 235k
>the car in general

garbage

Its a 500 dollar project e30, i dont really expect much

Hey

how the fuck
why the fuck?

Just picked this 1985 325e up for 200 bucks. Anything I should be worried about its got all service records back to 2010. I needs a starter and steering rack

Looking at buying a 1998 528i

Anyone have thoughts about this model? I've only owned Jap cars and have been interested in BMW for a while. Is the unreliability a meme or should I truly be concerned?

Great car, very reliable. I had a 2002 530i but they’re very similar and it was completely bulletproof.

aim for the later model years of any gen
why not get an e36 3 series instead? like a 328i from 97 or 98?

That's really great to hear. Thank you for the input!

I've found one that's stupidly clean and low mileage for a good price, but it's automatic. Should I even bother?

I was looking for E30's but my area seems dry and it's been rough finding one that hasn't seen hell.

Why those particular models? I'm still hazy on anything BMW but I'm open.

The majority of 5 series in the US are automatic. I say if it’s stupidly clean and low mileage than go for it. It’s a steptronic after all so it’s not too bad. Much better than paying more for a trashed one just because it has a manual tranny.

E46 325i for reference

I'm getting a camshaft position sensor CEL, and I've ordered the replacement sensors but still need to drive my car in the meantime. Is my car pulling timing? It feels way down on power

Whats an ideal track rat for under $5k?

Thinking 5 series. I dont want to run my e82 anymore bc i need it for daily drive.

Yeah it is because if the sensor isn’t communicating with the ecu, the ecu takes precautionary measures by pulling timing.

e36 is quite reliable, easy to work on, parts are plentiful, not as many electric or electronic gremlins as later gen cars
98 was the last year so 97/98

Is it turbocharged?

Bought a couple more Bee Mmm Vee's to add to the fleet.

This is one of the first 850i's I bought. V12's are god tier.

No the previous owner got inspired by older racers having headlight intake so he gave the car one. Can see the filter through it so yeah it works as a ram air. Gonna get some new ones and just keep these as a spare.

>e31
niceu

rather dumb but i could see it working with a supercharger kit

Yeah. There is a shop that installs the VF kit, but that's a shit ton of money for not a lot of gains. Thought about doing an S54 swap and doing it up as an M3 wagon. What's probably going to happen is it stays the way it is now but I am definitely changing the rear gearing. Sits at 3700 at 70mph and first is a bit short.

doing an e46 m3 wagon is actually not that hard, compared to like an m5 wagon which involves metal fab on the rear suspension

it's an engine swap, with DME and harness, manual transmission swap if it isn't already a stick, some interior bits and some exterior bits if you care about that, and some shocks/springs/brakes

That and i already have the wheels. I would also have to get rid of the spare tire well since the E46 M3 didn't have one to fit the exhaust. It has the ZF 5 speed and is on Koni orange and H&R springs.

>theese days
Almost perfect

Daddies money as it gets

Low ball him
But make sure you find all the rust before buying

Is the M2 the only modern BMW worth buying these days?

the new M5 is alright too

My uncle used to drive an E30 for ages, he loved it like his own child. Kinda want to get one too, some of my friends restored a barely drivable wreck into a neat classic car too.
Occasionally I'm driving an E36 316i compact, reputation is completely shit, but oh boy, it's a blast to drive.

lovely rare color
what color is your interior?

aesthetic

i really want your m40 to put into my e34. pic related

>modern BMW worth buying these days?
>M550d touring
because who doesn't want four turbos in his wagon

give me one (1) reason I shouldn't buy an E36 320i as a shit car to hoon around
Germany is the country if that helps
I have access to a lift and tools (including a welder)

look for a cheap 323ti
the e30 based rear axle makes the compact much more hektik
and thus is the superior choice for hooning

You are probably going to crash pretty quickly :D

if you want that old bmw more-sport-than-luxury feel, pretty much

It’s the next one I’m going to buy, that’s for sure

I'm new to bimmers, what is the Veeky Forums approved reliable commuter from BMW? I'd like a manual,coupe, and decent MPG'S

hey bimmerbros,
here's an online Version of BMW's TIS software providing service and repair manuals as well as wiring diagramms and a lot of other useful information for all "newish" (E36+) models
newtis.info/

e36 328is, 97 or 98 model

They're twin scroll so isn't that, in theory, 8 turbochargers?
Fucking ridiculous anyway and I love it.

Thanks for this

My girl. She's the best.