Who here actually enjoys getting under their car?

I fucking hate having to jack it up and crawl under to remove rusted shit. And I have a classic car that I love, but what a fucking nightmare it was to replace the brake lines. I just don't have the time, and a cramped space.. How can you enjoy this shit without a big garage and a proper lift?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/RhinoGear-11909ABMI-RhinoRamps-Vehicle-Ramp/dp/B0117EETEK
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's a weird mix of love and hate.
Wouldn't trade it for the world, though.

Now you know why half the car guys who just enjoy wrenching have trucks.

>rusted

Salted road cucks btfo

this.

beer taste better when you're done.

I unironically hate using a jack/jackstands, I don't know why either. I use ramps now and its great

i was a tech for 10 years but quit 2 years ago, if its a choice of working under a hoist with a boss bitching in my ear to hurry or working in my driveway on ramps with a drink working at my own pace, im taking the latter

i only use ramps, my uncle had a freak accident a couple decades ago where jackstands failed and a car crushed him dead. those $60 plastic ramps you can get at Walmart are nifty and give you enough room to do an oil pan etc

Get two sets of these for 60

amazon.com/RhinoGear-11909ABMI-RhinoRamps-Vehicle-Ramp/dp/B0117EETEK

Laying under my car feels so cozy and comfortable for some reason

Underneath sucks because I get dizzy af if i’m Flat.
I can’t even sleep flat, I have to have my head cocked at an angle.

However I love wrenching on my car almost as much as driving it.
Fuck, i’d say it’s 50-50 so long as it’s under the hood or something I can do sitting next to it.

I don't enjoy working on my car, full stop. Call me a soyboy beta numale cuck buzzword lol epic meme all you want, I'd rather spend time driving my car rather than fixing it.
pic related

If I had lifts, or ramps and a creeper, I’d be fine with it. All I’ve got, however, is the fucking suicide jack and a set of harbor freight jack stands. I’ve got lifts at work, but they’re made for fuckhueg tour buses.
>select all images with a bus

Nothing's more frustrating than realizing what should take you 2 hours is gonna be a 4 hour job. But nothing's more satisfying as when you start putting everything back together. As long as I have a clear schedule I'm fine.
Ramps don't work for my vehicle or I would use them, too low. But anytime I need to get the car up it's usually tire/suspension parts do ramps won't work.
At my old place yeah it would because the cement was nice and smooth. Place I'm at now garage floor needs refinishing bad as it's rough uneven concrete.

My car is aluminum and I live in Texas so the underbody looks brand new with no rusted or stuck fasteners anywhere, but I still fucking hate crawling under it.

ramps. ramps are the answer to all questions that involve car work that does not require the wheels to come off

No that's normal. The act of having to work on my car is tiring but once I start doing something and I don't run into a lot of issues, I actually start enjoying it. Physical labor is pretty fun as long as it's not too hard.

>my friend died because he used shitty jack stands
>so I use Wallmark plastic ramps
Fuckin lol

No because spiders. I know they are up in there

I respect this. A black widow crawled out of someone’s brakes during an inspection.

Oil sprays and underbody washes are your friend. And who needs jackstands and ramps anyways. Those are only needed if the tires come off. I love being able to just roll underneath and do an oil change in ten minutes.

Once you have a lift there is no going back. It's so much easier on the body, safer, and faster to do anything.

Find a friend with a shop or get a part-time job at a dealer washing cars and most allows employees to work on their vehicles if a bay is free.
Alto

Although once you have your toolbox at your lift it's annoying having to work on the other side of the shop and walking back and forth to get tools. Having a tool cart becomes necessary because the work benches are never cleaned and other people just aren't as neat and tidy as you want them to be but your intruding on their work space so it's bad manners to complain and if yoiu try and tidy up you may throw out something they were keeping for 5 years just in case.

no, working on vehicles sucks. Totally worth it to do it myself rather than paying a shop though.

To those of you that need to get shit done but don't feel like working in the cold, go on Google maps and look for diy shops in your area. I have one that's literally 5 minutes up the road from where I live. They have a 4 point hoist and a ton of tools you can rent for $10 an hour, the only shitty part is that you aren't allowed to operate the hoist. Imo that's a fair tradeoff

>lifted 4x4
Nah, wrenching w.o a lift bay is easy.

>tfw having to awkwardly squat atop the engine while working on it

After years of owning low cars, this was unexpected.

I got a big ass winch bumper I made, its easier to stand on that or the tires.

Lifted cherokee on 40s and 1 tons.
Comfy as fuck to just roll under it. Engine work requires a step ladder or I barefoot on the radiator cover.

t. Southern

get your heart checked thats a major warning sign with heart failure. could be fluid in your lungs that pools when you lay flat restricting oxygen intake.

I hate that she's broken, but i love fixing her.
Every amateur mechanic should feel like this about his car

>subaru outback
>high enough that oil changes don't require jacking the car up to perform them

The only downside: it's a subaru

I second this. My dad had the spins really bad when fixing the plumbing under the sink, changing oil, whenever laying on his back. 6 months later he found out he needed a triple bypass. Get your shit checked out.

Lifted vehicles and vehicle lifts are my two favorite things

holy fuck dude goto the doctor right away, you could be in trouble

Lift is Love
Lift is Life

I despise it, my dad had a shop with lifts for most of my life so im a spoiled shit now.

I enjoy wrenching, but not on my car since every time I go to fix something, I find 2 or 3 other major issues.
I like my car but I am sick of the /rustbelt shitbox/ life. I just want to worry about oil changes and upgrades, not replacing worn out and broken suspension, sealing exhaust leaks, patching sheet metal, and rewiring shit. I would pay to have work done somewhere but I can’t afford that. I’d buy a new (or newer) car but I can’t afford that either.
Being poor sucks ass.

I have to jack the car up, put in a stand, place piece of wood between jack and car so I can raise it further. I need to get a better jack. However my garage has a small pit so I can do fluid changes without jacking it up, as long as I don't have something else parked in there. Only a single garage unfortunately.
Every time I'm under the car I get sand or something in my eyes, I don't enjoy that at all.

its ok when its not a repair that if not compleated or done right means missing work

Wear your safeties my guy

i can't masturbate in the house so i do it under the car, the whole neigborhood knows im doing but but my parents dont