Why do cars seem to be a male-dominated field? Is it a psychological reason? If so...

Why do cars seem to be a male-dominated field? Is it a psychological reason? If so, what is it about cars that interests males so much but not females?

Why limit this to cars? Women in general are not very interested in hobbies and prefer to just go with the flow and socialize. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any hobbies that are dominated by women, other than maybe make up if you can call that a hobby.

women only like stuff, their husband/boyfriend likes.

>car culture for women is posting "cool" car pictures they find on insta and driving a lexus sorta fast
>vidya culture for women is overwatch/league
>music culture for women is listening to rap and wearing t shirts of 80s bands
Being female means being a poser

Volleyball?

I would put that in the general category of ball team sports but if you split it up, sure.

Systematic oppression by the patriarchal society structure that has been happening since the dawn of humanity. Fortunately self driving cars will create equality amongst drivers for the first time ever.

>crafts
>interior design
>clothing (including making it)
>health food and cooking
>decorative gardening

What are you talking about? All kinds of women are into cars.

People are women’s hobby, not objects.

>health food and cooking
Gotta disagree with that one, but I think you're right about the rest.

>
>>crafts
Like shitty beads that ancient shamans made?
>>interior design
You have to be fucking braindead to not be able to make a decent looking interior
>>clothing (including making it)
Subjective
>>health food and cooking
No.
>>decorative gardening
Literally useless. Also, why so specific?

Delet

>Like shitty beads that ancient shamans made?
Who care's who invented the hobby, it's female dominated these days.
>You have to be fucking braindead to not be able to make a decent looking interior
It's not about whether or not you're able to do it, it's about spending your time on improving that skill by practice and reading up on theory.
>Subjective
Clothes stores and female targeted fashion magazines and runway shows prove this to be true. These things are far more popular with women.
>No.
Agree.
>Literally useless. Also, why so specific?
Who cares if it's useless. Most hobbies are fucking useless. It's about your enjoyment. And it's specific because general gardening is dominated by men.

I would agree with most of these points except fashion.

Fashion is literally a man's game. Every popular fashion house has a man behind it. Marc Jacobs, Ralph Lauren, Raf Simons, Hedi Slimane, and damn near every other recognizable fashion designer is a man. When women but there clothes it has nothing to do with the art and beauty if it but for social prestige. Why does every Micheal Kors bag have his name is bright contact color? Because women don't give a shit about quality well made garments and only have a shit about what other women perceive as indicative of status. When it comes to fashion as art rather than practicality, men dominate. Thom Browne, Junya Watanabe, and Rick Owens dominate that field to. So where does this leave women in the world of fashion?

Fucking walking coat hangers. Nothing more.

Autistic rant over

Men have always been more interested in mechanics than women.

What women do you know who lost horology, blacksmithing, or engineering as a hobby?

While I do agree with everything you said, the point discussed was hobbies. The fashion industry (like every industry) is dominated by males but the hobby of fashion, following trends, buying new clothes every week and always being informed about recent changes is a woman's game. There are men who're invested in fashion as a hobby but they're the minority.

Men
>need to prove themselves in a field that shows off their cunning, strength, ability to gather resources, and/or their social dominance
>have a higher affinity for spatially oriented activities
>are larger risk takers
>produce testosterone
Women
>need to attract powerful males
>maintain youthful appearance to prove they can bear children

A woman interested in cars isn't going to be displaying the normal traits that make a woman attractive to a mate and she would get shit on by her social group. No useful reason to put any effort into an interest in cars for the average woman. Cars can hit every criterion for what makes a male attractive at different stages of his life, and generally positively augment his social standing.

Dude, I used to work at a TJ Maxx, and one day some young woman came up to me the register with some chinese-made literally random mans name "designer" handbag what we were selling for ~$250 and was all like "oh my god can you believe this what a deal xD". She was a rich cunt so of course she asked me if I have ever spent "that much money", to which I replied "I spend more than that weekly in car and computer parts." She gave me a look like "why tf would you spend money on your car or computer" and I gestured toward her bag to imply that they are the same kind of frivolous purchase, to which she seemed enlightened.

the real kicker was that her mother was there trying to convince her daughter not to buy the fucking thing and doing a terrible job.

And this won't change with self-driving electric Teslas in the future. An IT nerd will still be able to prove that he can get his shit together by buying the latest Tesla to attract a woman, and change the perception other males have of his higher standing in their gay retromodding Reddit community by getting interested in modifying its infotainment system to include an N64 in the dashboard or some shit. Women don't give a shit about the specifics of the latter just like they don't give a shit about boosting an engine, but they do give a shit how he's perceived by other males. If he can't get the N64 to work in his Tesla, he's just a little bit more of a loser.

I know a handful of women who are into engineering and mathematics.

funnily enough most of the time they complain about other women being dumb cunts.

I guess the definition of hobby as I go by is different. I think of a hobby as something that one does out of pure enjoyment as opposed to expectations. You wouldn't say that a man's hobbies would include manual labor, or not crying. I think that, in most cases, a woman's passive knowledge of fashion belongs in the same category. It's just a thing that is rather than something actively pursued.

Cars are stereotypically a male hobby, but I would say that only 1/5 men understand what's under the hood, and even less so understand enough to do anything there. Then the 1/2 of those guys who really care about the history and maintenance of cars I would call car guys, meaning that 1/10 guys in America could be referred to as car guys. I would say, of the women I know, maybe 1/15 really care about fashion beyond superficial appearances. I think the number is the same for men. This is skewed to include /r/mfa dorks due to the self awareness aspect.
Maybe I'm overthinking this.

Because most women grow up believing that being into cars is a guy thing and think that it would be weird if they were into cars

Is this a cursed image yet?

Well Op, car culture is filled with people like:
Which makes it hard to learn. And unless you have a real passion for it, a lot of money and get lucky enough to find some group who aren't dicks, it'll be a massive uphill battle fitting in as a chick. Really only the people who want it more than anything else can break into it.

Contrast to me, who just rocked up in my mates car and didn't even know that engines could have different cylinder configurations, and I had a bunch of dudes willing to explain shit to me and give me the benefit of the doubt in everything. Getting into car culture casually was super easy

So I guess it's because there are so many casual dudes in car culture since it's so easy to enter as a dude, but only the girls who really want it get in, it creates a huge imbalance in numbers. I mean, how many times have you met a girl who was casually into car culture?

Then there are the awful bitches who just stand near cars and take selfies and basically make it even harder for females in the culture.

only retarded busraider neckbeards on Veeky Forums think all car girls are posers.
Our groups here have plenty of girls who are as deep into cars as the men are.

>that drop
>those wheels
>those tattoos
>that hat

Women only care about themselves.

Girls play with dolls, later they become the dolls themselves.
Boys play with toy cars, later they buy actual cars to play with.

If ANY random girl showed ANY interest in cars she would be swarmed with guys wanting to explain shit to her and welcome her into the group.
Thing is, above making a selfie near a car to show some kind of social status or "look how much fun i am having" type of post on facebook, they dont care.

Who cares if fashion is a female dominated hobby, if anything you're proving the point that women are generally better at consuming stuff, rather than producing it.

As and you yourself described, there are a lot of women who are simply not actually interested in cars but act like it, which makes if very frustrating for anyone who's encountered these kinds of women before. If that's all you ever see, it's natural to assume no woman ever really cares about cars, so you just stop trying to explain or teach them anything because it's frustrating. Do you understand what I mean?

>car culture for NORMIES is posting "cool" car pictures they find on insta and driving a lexus sorta fast
>vidya culture for NORMIES is overwatch/league/CoD
>music culture for NORMIES is listening to rap and wearing t shirts of 80s bands
Just as relevant and shows you don't discriminate against women in particular.

>women were excluded from ownership of property as well as physically-demanding tasks for ages
>women's culture hasn't built up to the same level of focus on the subjects they were restricted from for centuries
>thus, women don't get big into cars or engineering or plumbing or whatever the fuck as often
wow amazing how that works out

women don't have a penis

Since when do feminists browse Veeky Forums?

Really simple biological answer

Men are interested in things
Women are interested in people

Not really a mystery

since 95% of women are normies anyway

>I spend more than $250 weekly on frivolous purchases
>cashier at TJ Maxx

yeah ok bud

except the average guy is more interested than the average woman about all of these things

ever had a female friend and tried to talk about a hobby you're both into and find out she's not really into it at all beyond the average normie, but projects herself as "such a (insert activity that she thinks will give her the most social capital) geek lol"

i don't consider myself to be a feminist, i think most feminists are retarded but to deny that recent history has had a direct effect on the shallowness of culture for women is frankly ridiculous

Roller derby

>furfaggot calling anyone mentally insane

kek

That’s doable if you’re not paying rent

Women naturally exclude themselves from physically demanding tasks by being less physically strong. They are also the only ones who can form babbies, so their natural inclinations are going to be different. It doesn't take a century to develop an interest in a hobby, especially now, but women largely don't.

>It doesn't take a century to develop an interest in a hobby, especially now, but women largely don't.
it took about half a century for white americans to consider asian food a socially acceptable meal after the heavy immigration wave of the 1870s, women have only had genuine, individual economic power in the american marketplace since the 1970s
this shit does change things, you can go for the biology argument that's fine but ignoring history makes you a faggot

cooking.

Does that mean that Asians in America didn't eat Asian food for all those years? If not then your argument is irrelevant

savage