Changing the brakes and pads for the first time on my wifes car and mine. Mine went just fine, since it's fairly new...

Changing the brakes and pads for the first time on my wifes car and mine. Mine went just fine, since it's fairly new. Her is old, and she has never taken care of it. The caliper bracket bolts are essentially round at this point, I cannot get them off. And what makes it worse, is that since they are the back tires, I can't move the steering wheel to get a good angle for leverage. What do I do now?

Other urls found in this thread:

autozone.com/wrenches-pliers-and-cutters/wrench/duralast-metric-grip-drive-wrench/457949_0_0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

post pics

That's not an old car.

>What do I do now?
take it to a pro with real tools

Do you have a dremel or rotary tool, do you have a pair of vise grips, can you get a can of PBlaster and or a map torch?

Because that is what you're going to need as well as a set of replacement bolts.

there's a tool for everything user. and i mean everything...

first i'd try a vise grip and tighten real fucking hard on it. there's also a tool that uses teeth to bite into the metal and provide grip. you can also use a blowtorch to heat up the metal and break the seal if it's really really stuck (my dad and i had to do this to remove the harmonic balancer on an engine we were working on). you should use a breaker bar with a cheater bar extension (something to provide a longer arm on the wrench) with the bolt grip socket that bites into it... use heat first. then if you still can't break it, well, it's your fault.

That's just an image I googled. I can't use a breaker bar, cause I'll just hit the back fender of the car. There is no room. I'll try and find a vice grip around the house.

I remember when j I first started working on cars. I rounded a lot of bolts too.
If you can't get the bolt to move with a socket or a spanner, and set of vice grips will not work.
I have never seen it work, I have given up trying to make it work. Maybe if you have a £100 set of vice grips it can grip super hard, but if you don't I wouldn't even bother trying.

The best advice I can give is try beating an under sized socked onto bolt head and then remove as normal, or get a set of Irwin reverse flute extracting sockets. and jack the car up higher so you can get a breaker bar on it you mong.

I changed a cv axle on my A4 yesterday and I ran into a similar situation. The bolts on the back of the caliper had those retarded star shaped volkswagen sockets and I didn't have any tools that could fit. I vice gripped that motherfucker with all my strength and i broke one loose but the other bolt wouldn't budge. It was time for plan B. In took an alan wrench and hammered it into the bolt until it held tightly and broke it loose that way.

Sweet, just broke it off! I hammered a socket onto it, lifted the car as high as I could to get space, and stood on it. Now, more problems! My socket is stuck on the bolt, so now I can't do the other.

Hammer it off or something

>My socket is stuck on the bolt
get another socket

screw the bolt back it (just finger tight). hit the socket off the bolt. now you have a loose bolt and your socket back.

Dont talk to me or my wifes car ever again

hit the socket with a hammer

say what you want about vato zone...but I had the same striped head problem on my starter, picked up a set of these...skeptical but HOLY SHIT they fucking worked!!!...

autozone.com/wrenches-pliers-and-cutters/wrench/duralast-metric-grip-drive-wrench/457949_0_0

If the bolt head is fucked, meaning it will be replaced, I use a small pipe wrench to bite into the head or collar of the bolt. Don't reuse bolt/nut after this.

>That's just an image I googled.
Then why don't you google the solution and leave us poor folk alone?

that was of wording things... I wasn't sure at first, but HOLEY CAWADODDLE you're full of shit !!11!1!111!!1!!!

fuck of shill

Tap a hole and reverse thread it and put a not shitty bolt in the hole

Well sockets are only 2$ so i'd say you solved your problem just get a replacement and finish it up, and you can try freeing your socket later (place in a clamp, and hammer a screwdriver through the hole)

WD40 and leave it for a while, also make sure you're turning them the correct way. Worst scenario if you're replacing the brackets and bolts just cut them off

>broke it off
Order a new knuckle.