Aubi TT

Any of you had experience with pic related?
I'm looking to change my daily honda jazz into something more fun.
I've looked into MK2 mx5's but they are all rusted to fuck pieces of shit here in Bongland, whereas these TT's are quite nice and I can cop one for about £2k.
Any other suggestions?
So far I've tried 7th gen Celica. Wasn't impressed with the gearbox, but overall seemed alright - a bit bland on the interior.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n9K7pSJ9LEc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ruined by wrong wheel drive and pigfat.

Rather just get the A4, will be easier to repair and more reliable

My mom owns an '01 TT and it's okay. It feels like any little volkshit until about 3500k and then it feels like any inline 6 over 4 liters. I have an A4 and it feels about these cars feel almost indestinguishable before the turbo kicks in. Pretty fucking fast for 2k/10

The interior on that car is kind of souless for some reason and I can't put my finger on it.

Unimpressive. A mk4 Golf with most of its practicality removed, and more of a cunt to work on thanks to its more cramped engine bay.
Somehow manages to have a worse interior, too.
Quattro variants use early Haldex AWD, which always engages too late, and they were somewhat of a test platform for VW's early DSGs.
It's the only car besides the S3 of the same time to get the 225hp version of the 1.8T stock, so that's neat I guess.

I have an '05. I love it, it's not "fast" per se, but once the turbo gets rolling it takes off nicely. 1.8T is pretty bulletproof as long as you keep an eye on the timing belt and coilpacks. Get the V6 if you want more power, but it doesn't really need it. It's still a striking car, I get tons of looks all the time.

Be advised you're basically sitting on the ground in this thing and visibility isn't the greatest. Has a ton of cargo space for such a small car. I intend to keep mine for the next 3-4 years, going to get some minor bodywork fixed and get a respray next year.

Get a Toyota mrs
It's basically a lighter more fun to drive 7th gen Celica

>timing belt and coilpacks
Also oil changes, and let it cool down after a spirited drive like you should with any turbo car.

The interior is polarizing for sure but I quite like it. It's simple and functional and everything is in the right place. The stock Bose stereo is fine and it has all the "luxury car" options of the time like leather and heated seats and sat radio. It's a nice enough cockpit. Just don't try to fit anyone in the back "seats", they'll hate you for life.

Well that's it, I'm a bit worried by the complexity of the thing. If things go bad, it would be a cunt to repair and I don't have a proper place to carry out repairs myself, thus I'd need to rely upon someone who'd charge me an arm and a leg.
What about reliability. Any stupid shit that keeps annoying you? How easy it is to do your own maintenance?
Had that thought but anons have told me the roof is leaking like a cunt on these things and there is not an easy way to fix that. Also, something to do with the catalytic converter spewing shards back into the engine fucking things up if it wasn't D-catted.
Family had one. Wouldn't bother with it - expensive chassis. I already own a practical car.

FWD models are no more complex than a mk4 Golf with the same drivetrain, just more annoying to work on.
Lots of Golf and New Beetle parts work just fine on a TT too.

I bought mine almost exactly a year ago and I did have a pretty extensive service done to it right after I bought it. It was at a tick over 80K miles and it needed power steering line replace, it had a leak in the trans so that was fixed, flushed and refilled, then I had the 75K service done to it since I wasn't sure if the previous owner had done it. Since then, it's never had a peep of trouble in a year of daily driving.

Look, it's an Audi, so parts and labor are expensive. I have a DRL out that to fix would mean replacing the entire headlight housing to the tune of $800. If cheap repairs are your thing better off getting a Corolla. I'm not a wrencher so I can't speak to ease of service but at the end of the day it's a Golf beneath the bodywork...don't imaging it'd be too rough.

It's rather odd, because barely a few years ago I thought the TT was still a striking car, but with the shift in design languages over the past few years, now it looks like a total piece of nineties shit that has aged terribly.

I thought I just grew out of it, but I've spoken to a lot of people that happen to feel the same way. That thing has gone from a somewhat special car that punched above its weight, to something that I wouldn't want to be seen in even if someone paid me to drive it.

Welp.. That kills it for me. Thanks for sharing, man.
I think I'll go after this monstrosity with 189hp and be happy about it.

A very good buy in bongland. Sure, a Z3 or an MX5 will drive better but they both rust like fuck. These are very underrated, main issues are oil sludging and the timing belt on the 1.8T (check the service history thoroughly) and the thirst of the 3.2, but they are very good cars. There is nothing complex about them, there are VAG specilists everywhere here so just put it to them and don't even think about putting it to a dealer.

If your family had one and thought it was expensive, this is going to be even more expensive. Oh and if they thought it was expensive, they probably niggered the fuck out of it, because in Europe you can get a 1.8T Quattro as a student and still baby it.

SLEEPER
L
E
E
P
E
R

The thing had a 1.9 TDI but apparently it had been in a pretty bad accident before we bought it and it was niggered back together. So yeah, wasn't ideal, but I know that these engines are supposed to be some of the best ones around.
Fucking bang on, pal.

>what is oil consumption
>tfw an Audi is more reliable than a Toyota

>tfw an Audi is more reliable than a Toyota
Are you sure?

That particular Audi and that particular Toyota, yes.

Elaborate. I know that toyota vvti engines have had their fair share of problems with piston rings, but that's about all. Burns oil before replacement of the rings.
Also, complimentary: youtube.com/watch?v=n9K7pSJ9LEc

>2zz
>oil consumption
what?

Audi Titty

Basically as you said - extremely bad oil usage. A litre every 500 miles isn't uncommon, which is all good and well but it leads to failed emissions tests and you don't know if the previous owner has kept on top of it so lots of them have run dry and been patched up to sell on. The 1.8T has a cambelt and can give sludging issues (leading to turbo problems) if the oil isn't changed at least once every 12k miles, but if they are looked after they are solid. No inherent issues on the 1.8T, but there are terminal problems on the VVTI engines making them a riskier second hand buy.

The solution would be to get the one that's made after mid 2005 apparently.