Are 996 Turbos good cars for alternative daily/weekend cars...

Are 996 Turbos good cars for alternative daily/weekend cars? They're not to expensive compared to the other turbos for sale. I was looking at GT2's from this generation (120-150k) and I could get one but I want something to drive and not park in the garage or possibly kms if I put a scratch on it.

Seeing that decent turbos go anywhere between 40-70k, what do?
>why arent you going to the forums for the car reeeeeee
They're filled with boomers circle jerking and parking it in the garage.

I think there is an user here with a turbo and a couple of bikes. Would be great if he came out of the woodwork.

Other urls found in this thread:

roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a9982953/why-the-996-generation-porsche-911-will-never-be-collectible/
rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1032649-ln-engineering-imsb-retrofit-database-2.html
youtube.com/watch?v=IxdvSq_byZw
youtube.com/watch?v=NnH3x9p8Cqo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>shitposting on Veeky Forums
>able to buy a 150k car
something doesnt add up user

roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a9982953/why-the-996-generation-porsche-911-will-never-be-collectible/

You're barking up the wrong tree. There's likely fewer than half a dozen people at any given time lurking this board that are in that income bracket.
Most of us are poor but for the non-purist, the 996 turbo is the best one to buy because its the most accessible.
Personally id spring for a newer 997 because I dont like the scrambled egg headlights

He's LARPing. Nigga ain't got two nickels to rub together.

>IMS
I heard about this. I was ready to steer clear from the 99-01 cars.

You're a retard. Do your research. IMS is a scaremongering tactic by FSI/LNE to get you to buy their overpriced bearings.

Zero chance of IMS failure if you take care of the car.

Wealthy people are not an enigma user. They do exist and they do post here sometimes
citation pls, never heard of this

Why does it matter if the 996 doesn't become the next boomer wet dream? If anything that is a good thing if you want the Porsche experience. The cheapest 911, the most disregarded yet was the best selling so has the most parts and maybe aftermarket. The 996's OP is looking at does't have the IMS issue, which is an overblown issue, if they haven't failed by now they won't, or they have been replaced. The 996 is disregarded because of just the looks, not the performance. It was better than the air cooled siblings. The turbo 996 is the cheapest super car you can get and still maintainable.

>Why does it matter if the 996 doesn't become the next boomer wet dream?
It doesnt, but when you're buying cars at this price, deprecation and resale value are legitimate factors. The point of that article is to say the 996 is a shitbox and will never appreciate in value
>the 996 is disregarded because of just the looks, not the performance
thats far from the only thing people criticize the 996 for
>The 996's OP is looking at does't have the IMS issue, which is an overblown issue, if they haven't failed by now they won't, or they have been replaced.
This particular example notwithstanding, i dont really know how we can quantify this. If you dont have documentation that its been replaced you cant really be sure
>It was better than the air cooled siblings
on paper maybe

I mean as you said, its a good thing if what you want is to buy a porsche and enjoy it, but if you're buying it expecting to make money on it one day, just spend your money elsewhere. That was the point of the article.

I own a 996.

Read through the thread: rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1032649-ln-engineering-imsb-retrofit-database-2.html

Jake Raby and Charles Navarro openly admit that their bearing wont do shit if you have a "bad" engine. You basically pay these clowns $2000+ to put a bearing that will fail just as much as the stock one.

Also a helpful video: youtube.com/watch?v=IxdvSq_byZw

Skip to the end to see what I'm taking about.

The turbo cars have a different engine design altogether, actually. The safest of the bunch.

At the prices 996 goes for now, there is ZERO depreciation to worry about.

Interesting info user
also
>what I can tell you that we've never had a bearing fail in an engine that was properly pre-qualified and registered with us.

OP here. I plan on keeping this. I could care less if I lose money or not on it if I ever decide to sell it.
I'll look into this
The porsche boomers make it seem that it is a problem on all the cars. Doesn't matter the engine.

I’d save money for the 997 turbo. A 997 non turbo S is faster around the track than a 996 turbo.

>OP here. I plan on keeping this. I could care less if I lose money or not on it if I ever decide to sell it.
Well from that and your OP it sounds like you want a shitbox porsche, and thats what the 996 is. Id say get it. If you were thinking about a current gen GT2, id say at least go drive those first before you take the plunge.

Re all engines suck
That's because people are fuckin' stupid.

40k is fine.

I have a friend with a 996 Turbo. Another friend has driven one, both have owned 996 Carreras. I think the opinion is that if you want pure driving feel, the steering feel on the 996 Turbo is worse because of the extra hardware (viscous transfercase, front diff, etc...)

But the 996 Turbo has crazy power. Truly amazing power. It is a little shitty on the inside, IMS is not a problem though.

Get the boost up and it's a fantastic car.

The 997 Turbo is just a massaged 996 Turbo. If you care about the headlights, viscous vs wet multiplate clutch transfercase, etc.. then get that instead. If you don't care about any of that, the 996 Turbo is well worth the cash.

If the 996 turbo is good enough for these grannies, it;s good enough for you.

youtube.com/watch?v=NnH3x9p8Cqo

The 996 was better in every way possible to the previous gen besides what boomer pseudo-enthusiasts who think cars are antiques think

Thanks. Gonna start my hunt.

can be turned into madmanmobile for cheap, for porsche

>tfw you missed out on the 20k 996 turbos

ims bearing doesn't exist on the 996 turbos

996 Turbo DOES NOT have the IMS problem. 100% not. Anybody who says otherwise has never touched a Porsche before in their life.

I don't think they ever dipped that low.

They've bottomed out hard and have already started going up in price. If you can afford one, buy it right the fuck now.

I guess I'm the user you mentioned, I DD my 03 Turbo and love it. The only modifications have been a turbo back exhaust and a tune. Sounds fantastic, goes like hell, but is easy to just cruise around town at low speeds as well. It's not the most practical vehicle as far as buying bulky items but it can fit a decent amount of stuff if it's a lot of smaller items. I drove across country twice with mine just about filled to the brim with personal belongings.

Next month I'm going to drive from WA to RI then down to GA with not too much stuff in my car, so it will be more comfortable, and more fun since I don't have several hundred pounds of extra crap slowing me down.

Look around for low mileage cars and compare prices. When I bought mine, I looked at pretty much every single 996 Turbo in CA and some in surrounding states just to see what was out there. I found one with 26k miles for $50k in 2013, which is the one I have now. Up to 48k miles on it now

Working on it yourself can be a bitch. If you want to replace (or even clean) the inlet plenum, you have to drop the engine a little bit.

Ok thanks!
Found a pretty low mileage one going for 37k.

I'd go take a look at it, and if you're thinking of buying it, get a third party inspection. If they're serious about selling it, they shouldn't mind. If they're strongly against it, there could very well be something wrong with the car. It's about $100 or so, which isn't a lot if you are spending near 40k, unless you get a lot of cars inspected.

I think I am averaging almost 16 mpg between city and highway, though most of my driving is city. I think I've almost got 24 mpg on the highway with all that extra weight in my car.

Here's the frunk. It can hold a decent amount of groceries, there's a 12 pack of beer bottles and several other bags under that top layer. The back seats fold down too which will let you fit some bigger items in there. I bought some decent sized picture frames once and was able to put a stack of them in the back like that.

There are a shitload of overnight millionaires running around here because of bitcoin.

Ok thanks for the input, checking it out this weekend. Its at a porsche dealership so I might be getting jew'd