Cash for Clunkers?

Looking back on the government incentive program, why do you think it failed/succeeded?

I will say that the used car market has never been the same seen then. I am not sure why, but the days of getting something that runs just barely for 500$ seems to be over.

Other urls found in this thread:

nbcnews.com/business/autos/u-s-exits-gm-stake-taxpayers-lose-10-5-billion-f2D11716261
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because obongo wants you to spend your hard earned money at the dealership while making environmentalist libshits happy at the same time.

>literally no civic hatches exist in the north east anymore due to c4c and rust
>all the pre earlier 2000th's trucks and suv's are also dead due to c4c

Thanks obongo.

you're welcome

What is c4c for non murican people?

It made it harder for poor people to get cars, further enslaving them to government assistance.
Im pretty sure this was its primary purpose, so yes it did succeed.

>the days of getting something that runs just barely for 500$ seems to be over.
Well considering it's been nearly 10 years since then, inflation has taken its toll $500 in 2009 is like $650 in 2017.
But buying power of the dollar has absolutely plummeted in the US since Obama.
Most things are 50-100% more expensive than they were then.
So low tier cars costing $750 to $1000 makes total sense.
A 2x4x96 in 2009 cost something like $1.50
A 2x4x96 today costs nearly $3.
The meal deals at taco bell in 2009 cost $2.
They now cost $3.29
A McDouble in 2009 cost $1.
They now cost $1.59

Its a shitty government program that gave you a rebate on a new fuel efficient car if you scrapped your old one.
It fucked up the used car market by destroying a ton of otherwise functional vehicles.

And it wasn't even protectionist, while the entire point was to boost the economy while lowering pollution.
But the majority of new cars sales were just dumping money into gook pockets.
Thanks Obama.

king nigger and the govt thought it would be a great idea to give people like 5 grand towards new cars if they traded in their old ones. It was intended to help the big 3 and get rid of inefficent cars, but 8 of the top best selling cars afterwards were jap or gook cars.
It required the engines be destroyed, so people would fill perfectly good car engine with water to frag them.

It also had the effect of causing literally every single cheap used car become worth 5 thou, hurting the used car market for the true poor. And a lot of the trade ins weren't even cars that were that old or had issues, but got destroyed anyway since they worth more as scrap for the $5k credit. It also cost tax payers 3 billion dollars

Nice then, we got something similar in pizzalandia, every year you get the "eco-days": you can buy a new car with 5000 or more €s of discount or put a CNG or LPG system for much less.
Yet the cars are almost never resold, they are "scapped" by exportation.

>Try and boost auto sales
>American manufacturerrs only make turds like PT cruisers and have the gall to charge 20 grand for them
>Wonder why honda fits are flying off the lot
Leftism/statism and car enthusiam as a hobby are incompatible ideals

And the title of Clunkers was a misnomer, your car had to run drive and be registered and insured.
People weren't taking unregisterable cars improperly running cars and destroying them, they were taking perfectly fine cars from the 90's and 00's that hardly pollute and simply because they were worth less than $5k they were destroyed.

The only real issue you'll find that people have with c4c is that they destroyed the cars.

Why they didn't make it exclusive to (((American))) brands is beyond me.

>inb4 someone says muh accord is made in ohio
yeah I know jap cars are actually made with more US parts than actual US brands, but the point of the program was to help those brands so eh.

>US manufacturers have always offered more fuel efficient and more affordable cars than nipponese counter-parts
>Still don't sell
And don't tell me it's because American cars are junk, Japanese cars are junk, that's why people like them.
Lots of American cars were rebranded nip cars, and no one wants the American version because reasons.

If you're going to have the state interfere economically, and you fail at making the interference protectionist, then you're commiting suicide purposefully.
Obama knew this, and that's why he did it. It was his stated goal to reduce America to the same level as any other country.

Everyone say "thank you presinigger"

>And don't tell me it's because American cars are junk, Japanese cars are junk, that's why people like them.

They don't sell well because the average amerishart thinks that owning less than 8 cylinder and single digit MPG is an insult to their freedom.
You want to sell efficient cars, make the fuel price skyrocket and then you'll se people "care" about the environment.

the average american just wants something that gets them to and from work reliably.
They dont sell well because they are expensive and everyone would rather just buy a cheap rice cooker.

>itt americans blame out of control personal and governmental deficit spending and shitty domestic car companies on a program on Obabo

Most of the cars destroyed under the program were old domestic trucks and vans. You think Grandma is gonna go get another murrican truck after her ten year old Explorer rusted out?

>No one buys American because they're not fuel efficient!!!
But they are
>No one buys those because no one wants those!!!
They clearly do, but they buy nip when they do because of marketing.

I don't want the gubment to manipulate fuel prices to incentivize anything.
Personal transportation emissions are negligible, if you want to care about the environment by using government incentive then increasing production in the US by implementing importation taxes is the way to do it.
International shipping is the number one polluter.
At least that would help everyone in our nation, improve quality of life across the board, and not economically stress people into doing something.

>Why they didn't make it exclusive to (((American))) brands is beyond me.
because obama was a globalist piece of shit. Same reason he tried signing the paris accord. Make the US pay for all of china and india's pollution while letting the chinese and the indians completely off the hook due to being "developing third world nations"
American cars have ALWAYS been dogshit. Chevy Cavaliers getting 18mpg while honda civics that were cheaper got 40. Now all the american cars are either badge engineered opels, daewoos, aus-fords, or shambling corpses of holdens. Even a few ancient discarded mercedes chassis' kicking about as "american" because jamal gets 50 dollars an hour to supervise a robot screw the speakers into the door.

(you)

>all those videos on YT where they pour silica into the engine of a perfectly functional car and kill it for c4c

Now this is serious car gore.

The Geo metro was the most fuel efficient car sold in the US.

>made by suzuki
lmao japs win again

Couldn't disagree more
I'm in the Northeast where the salt and rust eats cars for breakfast.
My last car was a 500$ 99' corolla, through 2 used tires on it registered it and drove it for a year and purposefully blew it up.
Bought another 94' corolla in August for 600$, through a clutch in for 60$ and have been driving it since.
>Corollas are easy mode
There's plenty of other makes and models from the 90's and back that can be found for dirt cheap and driven til they die without issue.
Only catch is I'm a technician so I have my own quality tools and access to lifts, tire machines, dirt cheap parts ect.

>bastardization of GM + Nip brands
>American

That's my point.
It didn't sell well because it is an American brand, it doesn't even matter that it's a nip car.

Perhaps, but most people don't give a shit for anything GM makes other than Chevrolet and GMC. Then again nobody is buying Sonics or Sparks either.

>No one buys sonics or sparks either
Or Volts, even though they cheaper and get better economy than any of their nipponese counterparts.

The only anomaly to this is Ford who sells a shit ton of Focuses and Fiestas which are fairly decent in economy and still hold on to some good resale value. Perhaps Americans don't have any faith in GM small econocars.

Triggered UAW Chrysler factory employee detected

Got pic related for $700 and a '90 Honda Accord for $300.

Couldn’t turn in civics for C4C lad

got rid of a lot of garbage and not much else

cheap cars that run are still easily found where Im at

I see them for as low as $300 if its a beater

I view it as a success

no Civics were traded in during c4c they werent eligible (other than that 1 CRX that somehow got in there hell if I know how)

The government succeeded , at what they wanted. More and more people forced to buy new, reliable old shit ruined
The government failed the people by succeeding in their agenda

>because it is an American brand,
That's not the reason. It sold decently, but was looked down upon because it was an economy car.

80% of the shit the government does doesnt help the general population, it helps the corporate lobbyists.

It didn't sell well because gas was $1 or less when it came out, SUVs became a huge thing in the '90s when the Explorer came out a year or two later.

>IT DIDN'T SELL BECAUSE IT'S AN ECONOMY CAR!!!
>AMERICAN CARS DON'T SELL BECAUSE THEY'RE UNECONOMICAL!
Pick one nigga, god damn.
Japanese cars are shitty junk and people praise them for being affordable and economical.
American cars are shitty junk and people laugh at them for being cheap and for poor fags.

There can be literally no difference between the cars, rebadges have proven that. Yet there is significant love for the nips, while there is extreme hate for the Americans.
It's fucking retarded.

Ford didnt take any bailout money, and they hammered that home with their advertising.
All the other domestics are sunk because rural Americans got to watch Obama bail them out with taxpayer money, and literally every part of that sentence pisses them off (rightly so)

Ford took money from the Feds.

I bought a Focus during C4C. GM didn't even come close to top 5 with the Cobalt during C4C. Hell, they lost to the Caliber which as well all know is a vastly inferior car. That's how little people think of GMs Compacts.

But Ford wasn't part of the bial out.
Ford took money BEFORE the bail out.
That's what Ford doesn't want you to know, that it actually failed first.

I don't really think it's a party thing as both have tried to fuck over the poor in the used market. one time Republicans tried to have only cars above 6k be able to be insured to promote auto buying market. some states have it where you cannot drive without insurance.

Ford was preemptive, unlike GM and Chrysler which were slow to adapt to the changing climate.

Ford went to "One Ford" and slimmed a lot of it's business up and procured the loan before shit got out of hand. They were smart. If you take out a loan does that mean you've failed, or that someone trusts you to repay it?

Shit, look at Chrysler now. They're literally dead.

>300 is ending production
>200 is shit
>only other thing they sell is the Pacifica

Were the other automakers expected to pay back their bailout money?

Yeah, GM payed theirs back ahead of schedule.

Did they? Or did the feds effectively pay taxpayer money for GM stocks, losing about ten billion as a result?
nbcnews.com/business/autos/u-s-exits-gm-stake-taxpayers-lose-10-5-billion-f2D11716261

It's a complete joke. Ford had a history of producing both small compact cars like the Focus, and the Fiesta for many years and built it a reputation for them. GM sold big sedans, V6, and V8s for the past number of years with the exception of being the Geo/Cavalier which was a poor person's car when gas was $1 and now days with the Sonics/Sparks/Volts which were junk anyways. Gee I wonder why American's don't want to buy GM compacts. It takes like a good decade to build up a reputation in the car industry. GM is not going to be know as the company that sells small economy cars and electric vehicles and they won't be for at least a decade. They are the company the sells you TRUCKS, VANS, BIG SEDANS, they're a big car company trying to pretend that they can sell small cars which they can't.

>gubment gives people thousands of dollars if they want to sell their 500$ pos beater

>people literally did not know wut dey got

THANKS OBAMA

I don't know a single state that let's you drive without insurance... Unless it's a farm truck.

Chrysler sells the Town and Country, the worlds most popular, least reliable mini van.
Plus they have all of Jeep and they have Ram, which is what actual people use. Ford trucks are for boomers who built a dog house once.

Someone turned in a fucking GMC Syclone, and for that alone I say it was a flop. Too many good vehicles went to the scrapheap.

>but 8 of the top best selling cars afterwards were jap or gook cars.
I love this part, dog bless

Florida and if you lapse on your insurance or quit paying it they suspend your license

No. It was intended to put money in people's pockets, dipshit. I was 19 when the economy went to hell, gas was way more expensive than it is now, unemployment was high, even if you had something worth selling, nobody was willing to buy. My dad owned luxury suburban at the time that was custom made for Luther Vandross - before he started having strokes - and he only got 20k for it (sound system in it alone was worth 10k)

>Literally burger economics

The big mac index is a thing dood.

>so people would fill perfectly good car engine with water to frag them.
Worse than water, it was liquid glass.

In the $500 car market, if it ran it got destroyed in C4C. What's left are truly shitty cars that can't make it a block nowadays unless it's a repo or they don't know the value of the car.

It's moved cheap beater territory to around $750~$1000.

As a broke college student looking for a manual compact for ~2k, I have passed up multiple American cars and hold out for a Japanese or even euro car (If it breaks down at least I'll have driven a nice car).
Why would I buy an American ford focus or chevy cobalt when a lancer or corolla S would be better and cheaper to fix?
Japan just does cheap cars better, without the feel of "I'm in a really shitty car" feel

>Chrysler sells the Town and Country, the worlds most popular, least reliable mini van.
What? That got replaced by the Pacifica

Have fun with bhph. In canada they only gave like a year of free public transportation if you got rid of an old car.