Subaru Thread

Subaru Thread.
>Squeaky early 2000's Impreza interior edition

Post different Subarus and argue why yours is the best.

Argue about Subaru's /superior/ AWD system

Make fun of other brands for not being Subaru

>hard mode:
Say something nice about the FA engine

Other urls found in this thread:

carbuzz.com/news/2017/6/24/The-Ultimate-Subaru-Is-A-250-000-Bugeye-WRX-7739768/
tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-wrx-subaru-updated/6411557566.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Z2OkUtMJfRk
worcester.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-subaru-impreza-wrx-low/6398567556.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

this car is 100% rice btw

That's a car with at $250k invested into it. I'm not sure about it being rice, but it doesn't look the greatest.

carbuzz.com/news/2017/6/24/The-Ultimate-Subaru-Is-A-250-000-Bugeye-WRX-7739768/

The Ascent will take over

i know. it's been a show car it's whole life.

I keep hearing these are unreliable pieces of shit. But I think they're sexy and want one.

It's either this or a GTI but I hear that VW is also unreliable.

I'm not sure what to think.

Any word on the 2018 STI? I heard the current model has been a bit of a disappointment.

they are. head gasket head gasket head gasket head gasket valve seals you shoulda bought a bmw

Still squeaky m8. 2010 hatchback here.

>posts regurgitated memes
>shoulda bought a bmw
Lmao so hard

I wouldn't expect anymore out of this board about Imprezas. If it's not the head gasket meme, it's boiracer vape lesbian LEL. The people on this boards image of themselves is directly tied to what other people think about the car they are driving. So if your car is driven by idiots, you are an idiot. Worse than Veeky Forums really. Kind of sad lel.

do i want to get a 2003/4 impreza sedan with 170k ish km? around 5k aud (ausfag on p plates, and one of the better looking but still reasonable manuals i can find near me). how do they drive?

Solid P Plater car, just enough NA power to be fun, forgiving to drive, no ricewing so cops leave you alone, cheap to rego

Had a 2004 blobeye, was a nice car.

Fucked it right off as soon as I was off my P's though

well there is another one with the sti wing (ricewing?) and some nicer alloys but it's a nasty black and has more kms. no car can fill the hole left by my dads e90 335i for learners hours. pretty stupid laws allowing learners to drive such a powerful car, even if i have a """""qualified adult""""" in the car with me

Am I stupid for wanting to stage 2 my DD?

Reminder that only late 90s/early 2000s 2.5 liter NA engines had head gasket problems.

Looking into 2000s Subaru sedans for my DD. Should I look into the Legacy or Impreza? Dunno how the Outback sedan is. How is it?

Get a legacy 2.5 gt

ThisBut get one that's not slow.

Those are ugly, if he wants a turbo he should just get a bugeye

>Those are ugly

What's it like to be slow AND have bad taste?

The interior is nice, but the body is not good looking. Previous one looks best

Lancer Evo was better edition

seriously stop making new generals

>3rd gen Legacy looks the best

Look at the ass, it's perfect shitbox material. The later model looks too bland

Just got a Crosstrek
Always had early aughts civics, those were way way more fun to drive tbqh
But this can get up the snowy hills, which my last car couldn't
Sorry for the Reddit spacing

Manual?

don't listen to that meme

Nah automatic but it has those gear shifter thingies
Fully loaded certified preowned with only 35000 miles

Would be alot more fun to drive with the manual, since you use for snow why not the Forester with the extra power?

>filename

That's a second gen Legacy.

I thought about that but figured i could eventually just get an aftermarket turbo since this is an impreza engine and such
Was close to getting a Forester xt in oshkosh but I forgot my title while I was passing through lol

Wagon ass is better

tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-wrx-subaru-updated/6411557566.html

>but would take 4 grand if it came down to it.

Opinions on a used 2011-2014 WRX hatch?

Mostly molested, if you must get one do so with low miles and a good extended warranty from dealer

Why do they call it the Legacy? What is its legacy?

Not hard to say good things about the FA engine, so far proven to be sturdy and reliable. some lemons, some retards, mostly blow up in the first 2 years on the dyno being tuned. I think the FA20DIT is nothing but reliable. But its a turbo engine, you HAVE to check your oil. I do burn some oil. not a whole hell of a lot.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z2OkUtMJfRk

have a look at what ETS has done, with a STOCK fa20. I hope they can do something with the EJ's in STI's, I would trade up in a few years if they did.

Literal lies. Just like with any other vehicle regular/preventative maintenance goes a long way.
the 08+ cars use the new head gasket design as well, so arguments are in the trash

Very nice car, do it user.

no

underrated post

>shilling the bugeye over the comfier, faster, and better fourth gen LGT
kek

see

>only 131k miles

I'd say it's worth at least 5, it is stock and all.

>Why do they call it the Legacy?
It's Subaru's #1 car (sorry impreza fags)

>What is its legacy?
The 1989 Subaru Legacy was co-designed by Isuzu and labeled as the Ascent in Japan (Fun fact, Subaru just released a new car called the Ascent).

Subaru owes all of their success to this car tbqh. The Impreza chassis is actually just a short wheel base version of the legacy with different unibody looks.

The Legacy is always the first car to get the new technology for every model revision as well. Literally got the suspension design on the current WRX STi waaaaay back in '04. Also was the first model to receive a Dual AVCS engine.

Also, the Outback is based on the Legacy.

The Subaru Legacy is unironically Subaru's Legacy.

EJ207 vs EJ257?
Pic related it's my 2002 WRX STI

The FA's been around for a decent amount of time now with no major issues like the EJs had.

Anyone else hit the wall/gate between 1st and 3rd? I'm inexperienced in using such a finicky manual.
I've adapted my shifting style, used to hit it frequently, but in a hurry 1 in 20 times I'll hit the notch thing and fuck up the gear change. The annoying thing is you can't just slide it to the right or force it so it goes in place, I have to reclutch, put it in neutral and try again, losing all my revs and speed.

I can't tell if I'm a retard or the syncros have been abused by the previous owner.

My EJ doesn't burn any noticeable amount of oil. Didn't even burn any when I had to drive 1200 miles from AZ to TX in one day.

The 207 is subjectively the better engine. Why? Thicker cylinder walls, bigger oil pump, better turbo included stock, more aggressive tune, etc.

Feel like selling it to me so I can strip the front end, pull the drivetrain, and then cut out the quarterpanels so I can convert my wagon?

Yah I actually had to detune it for the gasoline here (highest is 94)

What model year of car? Which model? Subaru's are known for their chunky transmissions.

Apply rightward pressure when you start the shift, be quick and firm. Never had much trouble adapting to the transmissions in these cars, all things considered, but I did end up moving my seat a notch closer to the wheel for the 4-5 shift.

>tfw have an 08 impreza NA (ej25)
>this winter i can hear piston slap when the engine is cold

just
god please don't give me head gasket / oil burning issues

how many years has subaru had to fix this shit? jesus christ man

I hear that the new FB engines are even worse for oil burning, no idea about any other major issues yet (FB came out in 2012 I think, should be old enough to start seeing what other problems this engine has)

I hear the FA in the new WRX is solid though. Hesitant to buy another Subaru though

How many miles are on it, user?
Piston slap is a pretty regular thing for the Naturally aspirated EJ253 your car has. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You might try using a thicker oil (such as 5W-40)

In fact, a car I had with that engine had piston slap for a while when really cold. It continued to do that for a few months and suddenly stopped.

44k mi (very low mi car)
Oil changes every 6000km (im in canada), outside of one time I let it go to 8000km on dino (only screw up service wise ive made). Currently on synthetic, and never hoon the car.

I've read piston slap is to be expected, just hoping that I don't run into any real trouble.

I've seen that particular motor go 540k in a 2009 Outback. Treat it nice, and it will never let you down.

I don't burn enough to have to add before 3000 miles is up. Everyone is different. My friend had a 257 in his 07 wrx that he tuned himself, and he admitted to commonly registering feedback knock of values in the 6+ range.. added VF39 turbo eBay downpipe sti intercooler. Ran off the shelf, got shady "protune", his transmission was totally ruined by 60k but that engine still pulled hard all day long

You guys think Subaru is working on an all-electric vehicle?

Oh soz. Was afk. 2015. Previous owner was a chick who scraped up the rims and presumably fucked the gearbox - sometimes when I put the clutch fully down and change gear the gear shifter makes a hideous, violent grinding noise and shakes like mad.

I got it serviced a month ago and the Subaru guys say the transmission is fine,
And I complained about the ac being retarded and fluctuating in temperature. They checked the hosing and that was it.
I've since googled it and found one of the ac motors must be fucked.

STi
I've adapted, but

Go to a different dealer

It's the only official subaru dealership in my area. Supposedly STi technicians.

tough debate, the ej207 can be reved all day like a retard but they got rid of unequal length headers so you might as well buy an evo

but the 257 has some serious torque and is fun as hell blasting it out of a corner but feels like its gonna fly apart after like 5500 RPM

the real best motor is a destroked ej25 into a 2.35 liter

Why does the L series rust so easily?

I think the problem is that you live in a shitty frozen wasteland. My ‘96 Impreza L has zero rust even on the bare metal where paint chipped off years ago

going to have a full service done on it this weekend- the power steering is making some high pitched noises

Assuming it's possible for me to find one, should I expect to pay out the ass for a Saab 9-2x since it's basically a WRX?

Check out your cam seals, they're probably toast
Yeah they're just as expensive

Mine is best. Currently installing and planning some updates. Also squeaky interior represent

nice

Yes, plus people generally know they're harder to find and the price will reflect that.

Could be a pump going out.

checked, also not sure. The Sedans were especially susceptible to this issue.

>the real best motor is a destroked ej25 into a 2.35 liter
>not the 2.2 liter with a closed deck

synchros sound fucked.

absolutely not.

So as you can see I have a '99 Forester S-Turbo (euro spec). It's a manual car, thankfully, but the gearbox is not exactly refined. It's at times hard to get it into a gear, the clutch sometimes vibrates a lot during engagement and the gearstick has lots of play.
Apparently these complaints aren't very uncommon, but I find them annoying none the less. Do you guys know if it is possible to swap out the 'box for a more modern, tighter one out of a newer Impreza?

If an STI is consuming ALOT of oil what could be problems with engine? I have an sti that's consuming oil, 3rd party warranty will cover replacement if and only IF something is damaged. It's 3k just to do a teardown and diagnostic which I'll have to pay for if nothing shows up. One of the technicians at dealer helped me out last time telling me he'll tell his manager all cam seals were leaking instead of one to help me out quicker. What can I say to him to help me out of paying 3k if nothing shows up damaged or out of place? If the engine is consuming alot of oil something has to be damaged right? Car is all stock with 64k miles

my subaru was best subaru
press f to pay respects

>all that rust
Rip in peace little pupper

f

The EJ257 is known to consume oil. However, if that much is being consumed it is likely it is either leaking out somehow, are you have a problem with the seals somewhere in the engine. My guess: Valvetrain is leaky

That's an old 5 speed for ya. The trans is probably tired, and the older turbo transmissions are rather chunky. Look into swapping a 6 speed.

Dealer inspected and found no leaks, I fear they did a quick check without taking a little more time to make sure. If there is not outer leak any idea what could be wrong? Cam seals were just replaced along with tensioners and timing belt

Forgot to ask, I shouldn't have to top it off before 3k miles though? I don't drive it really hard

You can have an independent shop perform a leak down test on the block to see if anything is awry. It does seem to be burning oil quite quickly, but I've heard of some STi's (even stock) that really like to eat oil. I'd suspect a leak though. You might just be one of those unlucky few that got a hungry engine.

My Outback XT has rod knock but I'll have an EJ20X swapped into it here soon

I get to drive my boss's car sometimes, this was autocrosss back in October

So I have enough money saved up to start into some performance mods (intake, access port, shift bushings). However the idea of having mine stock and clean vs. modded and having people think I thrashed it when it's time to sell gives me fear of not getting my investment back. Also I don't want to lessen my engine's lifespan, just want that exhaust note and increased HP
Thoughts?
>answer is probably do it faget

If you're concerned about that don't play with the motor and just focus on handling mods first, and stick to quality brands only. The quality of the parts someone buys often tells you a lot about how people treat their car.

Approximately how much oil consumption is tip of the dipstick? Dealer said I consumed 1.6 quarts in under 2k miles maybe ALOT less if they topped it off when I got my cam seals replaced

My 04 leaks and drinks it like its free....
Fucking thing.
By the time I do a full oil change, the oil has already been changed at least twice over.

She my bb gurl doe.

How many miles? Have you done cam seals ?

>Shitty frozen wasteland

Mate I live in Ausfag land, it's hot and dry here.

Anybody have any idea how to drain these little corner areas on a GL? I pulled all the plugs directly under it and nothing comes out.

Planning to keep that USDM ECU? It's gonna feel slow with those exhaust cams disabled.

Fuck the AccessPort. Do some light mods, get a protune from someone local and be happy.

I'd say about a quart or so. Have you researched to see if anyone else had the same issue?

:^)
Might be better off getting a shopvac in their and cleaning that out.

Yep, keeping USDM ECU. Plans for the motor are as follows:

EJ20X
VF46
Catless UP
Catless DP
GM 3 port ebcs
GFB GT Hybrid BPV
AVO JDM Intake
DW65C
850CC injectors
Innovate wideband/boost gauge
DIY TGV deletes
E85 Tune at ~20psi

Shouldn't be too sluggish :^)

Can a good WRX continue to exist when it's foundation is an econobox that they have to fatten up for normies and regulations?

Sounds like a solid plan. You should perhaps look into getting manual locking gears for the exhaust cams though. The EJ20X/Y fall on their face after 5,500 RPM due to the exhaust cams being in full retard.

I currently have an EJ20Y swapped into an '05 Legacy 2.5i Sedan. Did the full conversion (Including Dual AVCS using the JDM ECU) myself.

Yes, but we must be patient. New things are just around the corner for Subaru

best because my Subaru doesnt have a god awful Boxer engine. only Subarus i will ever own are non-Boxer engine ones like Sambar, Pleo etc

Thought so, thanks.

Thanks for the heads up. Is there any companies out there that make them or do you need to design something like that yourself? I've had a very hard time finding information on the swap besides people that have gone under the whole wiring conversion, which I don't really plan on doing. Honestly, I'm probably going to sell the car pretty soon and get another E36 M3 or 330ci. I'm actually about to go drive my old M3 (see pic) that I bought from someone I know through Veeky Forums.

Should i purchase? It looks clean and I need a car to learn to work on cars with, that goes faster than my 2004 stock civic.

worcester.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-subaru-impreza-wrx-low/6398567556.html

Looks good, just know it's gonna need some expensive work. Get it inspected with compression and Leakdown test and offer 4k

Forgot to add he probably hasn't done timing belt, it should have been done. If all checks out mention that and offer 4k

My first Subaru. Have had it for 8 months and I love it. Had to do the headgaskets already as they were starting to leak water. Can't wait to drive in the snow.