How fucked is he??

>160k on a rotary
>rx8
>$3,000

if its a 2004 hes so fucking fucked

even if it isn't it needs a rebuild soon

id say hes found a great ls swap canidate

it's like 2k in parts if you wanna overhauul the rotary, so not so fucked

Where do you live and in what quality is everything other than the engine(assume its a dead engine)

Agree with other user in that its a good LS swap candidate.
Unless you're okay paying 3k for a rolling frame idk

you can also rebuild it in an hour or two and install it without an expensive hoist. Apex seals are no longer a worry. It is recommended though that you set it up to be basically a two stroke...

If he isn't a car guy, he's screwed completely. RX-8s require lots of attention, they can't be treated like a normal car. Also, piston engine swaps are not an option. Doing such a thing is complete blasphemy against the glorious handling of the RX-8.

go with him and watch him flood it trying to leave the seller's place

>Also, piston engine swaps are not an option
Lmao watch me bitch

You know people say this but I've met a few rx8 owners that drive the rx8 like a normal car because they don't know better. They haven't had any issues...yet.

Just show him the empirical evidence that the RX8 is not for the faint of heart. I'm a car guy and I still would have to do a lot of soul searching before I'd consider buying an RX8. Just tell him to get a Miata.

A disaster waiting to happen

Royally fucked, those engines chug oil like nobody's business.

Because they’re fucking meant to do it, it’s a four-stroke for fucks sake, you don’t change oil there, you FUCKING ADD IT TO KEEP IT ON A LEVEL

Your IP has been recorded by rotary-wing death squads. We're on our way to your position. You fucked up kid: better drop that LS and run.

Even a cummins is an upgrade from a rotary. At least it's got torque and reliability going for it, which is nice. It's not going to handle anything while it sits in your driveway with blown apex seals.

He is fucked. Rotary engines are the worst and is extremely hard to rebuild. I have seen many try to rebuild them and they all failed. Sure it ran but smoked bad.

>Tfw rotary swaps are an afternoon over a couple beers with the boys affair
>Tfw good Apex seals
Git gud america

all the pain of the rotary, without a turbo

might as well kill yourself now

Did he think he was some kind of genius figuring he could buy a decent looking and performing car for that kind of money because all the other similar alternatives were more expensive? Reminds me of that guy who went camping and only brought two emergency heat blankets with him. There are reasons why the better products cost more.

Updated, he's getting a rx-7 for 3.5k now

even worse.

Has he actually picked up a phone and called one of two(!) guys who specialize on rotary rebuilds in the USA? Seriously, google a bit. And look at their pricing. And terms of rebuild - it is not like you can get an engine block new or anything - and in some serious rebuilds you NEED to change the block. And only viable repalcement is some junk block you buy from someone else. In other words, the judgement day is going to come - there will be one unlucky guy in a need of rebuild, he will be still able to get expensive seal kit and find someone willing to do it properly, yet there will be no longer vital part for it.

t. tried to buy rx-7 FD RHD in europe (fairly cheap, because RHD in continental EU) because love that bodyshape, learnt a lot about single turbo conversions, talked A LOT to the guys who do it, how to ship engine to them, what to expect, what they measure, how they test each engine before and after rebuild to ensure proper clearance and seal functioning... and just to do initial rebuild (people sell these only when the engine shits itself, so you definitelly need rebuild lol) I could buy a blueprint engines small block with EFI and adapter plate. Only thing over that budget would be clutch assembly. And at that point you make it a JDM C5 Corvette...

2 hours? You are lying.