I'm German and am starting a job at a Silicon Valley company with an office in my city

I'm German and am starting a job at a Silicon Valley company with an office in my city.
It's well paid in terms of salary, but then there is also the bonus thing - those kind that are related to shares. I get some with the contract.

Can someone explain this properly?

It's a young company and the HR woman said she herself couldn't even judge properly how much money these bonuses would really mean.

And then there is the thing of "selling it on the market".

Other urls found in this thread:

jvns.ca/blog/2015/12/30/do-the-math-on-your-stock-options/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

so you signed up for some silicon valley firm, but in their german office?
Then you should get a proper, german contract that has all and every detail in it.
>but then there is also the bonus thing - those kind that are related to shares. I get some with the contract.
So you get a bonus, but it's not in €, but in shares of the company?
>Can someone explain this properly?
Cheaper for the company than paying money, and really great and fantastic, because the value of a tech firm can only go up, its a law of nature!!!11!!!
>It's a young company and the HR woman said she herself couldn't even judge properly how much money these bonuses would really mean.
She should be able to explain it to you. The value however can not be calculated, if it is really shares, because
>there is the thing of "selling it on the market".
Lets say you get 100 shares per month.
As of today, one share might be worth €10. So that bonus is worth €1000. But the next month, you get 100 shares again, but now the shares are worth €20, so your bonus is €2000. But last months bonus, assuming you did not sell them, is now also worth €2000.
Works the other way round too: They could also drop to a few cents, so your complete bonus can easily vanish.
Which might happen, because there could be rules that you must hold the shares for a certain amount of time.

They give you shares you usually have to buy so youre encouraged to do well as a worker because if the company does well so do the value of the shares

Since the shares have to be well documented and you cant sell them like you usually sell shares (anti-trust, insider trading etc) just hold onto them to demonstrate loyalty commitment, usually they will get bought up by the company itself somewhere down the line

Ficki ficki

>tfw not smart enough to work in a fancy silicon valley company.

T. Azubi zum Speditionskaufmann

This

It would be nice to have shares of the company you are working for because you get to know their plans/ideas/potential, BUT i would always do research and ask to have the choice between the cash or shares if you don't expect the company to steadily improve.

I made very good experiences working for siemens, which gave us a bonus in cash or shares worth the bonus to a 10% reduced price, but we weren't allowed to sell it within the next 3 years

Hey German guy, I am your neighbor (Holland) and our accent sucks, but yours is horrible, so please try/learn to speak without a German accent. It is fucking annoying. People will not take you serious and make fun of you or they simply just get annoyed.

I am not trying to hate or be offensive, just take my tip.

(German:) Ich hoffe, dass alle deine träume und wünsche jetzt in erfüllung gehen. Viel glück im neuen Job!

(Dutch:) I hoop dat al je dromen en wensen nu in vervulling gaan. Veel geluk op je nieuwe werk!

(English:) I hope that all your dreams and wishes will now be fulfilled. Best of luck at your new job!

We were just negotiating salary and she suddenly said I'd get those bonuses on top of it.

If you're not a trader and just start at the firm, in what form do you own the shares. Where are they/where is the info about them stored?

Can you only make money with those bonus shares if you eventually sell them?

Veeky Forums is slower now than it was a few months after it's start, no?
What killed it?

>Can someone explain this properly?

Your company?

You just said you get a bonus related to shares. It could be options, shares, shares with some obligations as to when you can sell them...

We don't know that.

Its not worth it OP.

You're going to be competing with a lot of STEM graduates from India and they like to take shortcuts. Not to mention they are willing to do the same job at 1/4 the price of what you're being paid.

Unless you have something that they cannot offer then you'll be made redundant within 3 years, guaranteed.

shut the fuck up you retard

Thought maybe that's a standard thing in bigger companies and works always the same, roughly. I've only worked for the European Space Agency so far, which operates completely differently.

Competing where? I already know the team and it's more robotics research and software product production than ... cheap Java apps or what you may think of.

why are there people under every topic saying indians will take your job, even when they never do? Like where does it actually happen? Just because theres a billion of indians on the internet doesn't mean they will get hired to fuck up the job.

are those really shares or options? and is the stock publicly traded?

I don't know yet. I just had the interview, this came as a surprise and that's why I ask. I didn't get all the information from the HR woman. I'll see what the contract reads that I'll get the next weeks. It won't influence my liking of the offer much, in any case, assuming they stick with the salary in the good range that I'll expect they'll target. But I'd like to understand this.
She said I can "cash out" or "sell on the free market". But I have no idea how selling anything on some market works, or when or how you decide to cash something out/in

can you find your company stock if you go to yahoo finance?

How to find something there? The search bar on the site only returns basic yahoo results.
What info would I find there.

damn you're retarded son
search "$company stock" in google

google "[company name] ticker"

It also makes a difference whether you get stock or stock options. I actually assume it's the ladder. Think of it as the right to sell stock later in time for the price as of right now. Why is that better? Because you will only be taxed in Germany when you actually cash in. With stocks you pay taxes every year and might even make a loss this way.

Hallo Freund! Welche Firma?!! Kann ich ein Praktikum machen??!!?! DANKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

>We were just negotiating salary and she suddenly said I'd get those bonuses on top of it.

Sounds like an annual bonus kind of thing. Depending on the company, you could get money or stock. In the US it's common for a stock bonus to 'vest' over a longer time period.

For example, let's say you get 100 shares. Great, but 1/5 vests a year from now, 1/5 vests two years from now, et cetera. If like in my case it's worth $1000 per year, that's basically worthless since in SV you can get hundreds of thousands in RSUs.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't understand your words. vest. SV. RSU. Or when you'd get money.

lol

SV: Silicon Valley
RSU: Restricted Stock Unit

have you figured out if the company is publicly traded? that's the first step

I searched by I didn't find anything on it. The company is very young (5 years at best, 300 employees)

99% sure you're getting private equity in the company. That means you own a tiny bit (probably like 0.01%-0.1%) of the company. It pays nothing. You get no dividends.

Now, if the company gets successful and goes public or gets bought out by a larger company, you're in for a major payday down the road (imagine owning .01% of Facebook or Uber)

If the company fails, goes bankrupt, or otherwise closes down, your shares are fucking worthless and you should kill yourself.

he could also lose money because of taxes:
jvns.ca/blog/2015/12/30/do-the-math-on-your-stock-options/

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's exactly my situation.

If the "payday" comes, would I get money without giving away the papers? Or is there a "cash in" where I give away those things?

I'll read that tonight and report back (with questions, probably)