15k Budget

University fag, don't know what to buy. Have a budget of around 15k and need some suggestions.

Wants:

RWD (will consider hot hatches)
Fast-ish(0-60 preferably in the 5's)
4-6 Cylinder (No 8)
Newer than 2010 (Insurance and discount purposes)

I have been researching for months and seems like my RWD options are limited only to BRZ/FRS, 2011+ Mustang V6, 2015+ Ecoboost or V6 Stang, 2015+ Camaro 4banger, Genesis V6 or 2.0t, G37 Coupe, BMW 135, 335i. Anything I am missing?

As far as FWD options I have to choose from: Focus ST, Fiesta ST, GTi, 2013+ Civic Si and that is pretty much all the FWD I care about.

So much to choose from, what is best bang for buck?

Other urls found in this thread:

cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d376&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=78414&distance=500&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=192604116
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why no V-ATE? Insurance?

Yeah, my age (20) it would just be too much, not worth it.

FRS/BZ 2013-2015 you can afford, and best bang for bucks

Would you still choose that over say maybe a 2015 Ecoboost with a manual for 1.5k more?

Only 20k miles

110 more hp and a turbo

Just bought an 81 Corona for 300, try something like that.

>babby's first trust fund
Ask your boomer parents faggot

I hate bike shills, but it really sounds like you want a bike.

C A D I L L A C

>Newer than 2010 Insurance
have you actually looked into the insurance rates of older cars
because at least over here (germany) an older powerful car (e36/46 m3)
is usually cheaper to insure for young people than the current generation of boiracers' hot hatch of choice

get a fiesta st, seriously best bang for buck, if youre insecure get the focus st

mazda 3 can be in the hot hatch section. Veloster too if you want gookshit.

Toyota Camry

If you're paying for university why are you budgeting 15k? Maybe you're rich and all your loans are paid off, whatever.

Do you need 4 doors? Considered the Nissan 370z?

BMW Z4

mad poorfag is mad. 15k aint shit

I saved for 1 1/2 years downpayment money and have had steady employment for years and been driving around cash cars forever. My monthly will be very small even a mcjob w/ 10 hrs a week can afford so long as the down payment is good, interest rate and loan duration is low.

You dont have to be rich to have a nice car lol, keep crying about people that can afford more car than u that will get u places.

Top of my list so far is 6mt ecoboost mustang or focus st.

Whoever said newer mazda 3 is a hot hatch, its not its so slow without its turbo

Whether it's shit or not, if you're not paying your student loans as fast as you can you're pretty stupid.

>wants sub 5 second car
>is concerned about insurance
I'm not a doctor, but I think you're retarded

Hot hatches and 6 cylinder 2+2 coupes and sedans usually arent too bad for insurance and most reach sub 5 sec 0-60's. Idk about 4 cylinder Stangs and genesis coupe tho. Frs shouldnt be too bad from what I gathered

I dont have student loan debt. Parents saved and I got good scholarships.

You dont need a fast car, especially these days when you're going to be stuck either in traffic or behind traffic lights.

Reliability and price re god these days.

Dont get memed into pointless muh fast but impractical cars by the idiots here.

The mustang ecoboost, its a pretty sweet looking car, it has a lot of performance over 300hp, and saves gas

You can get a mazdaspeed3 for 15k easy, would be around 50-60k miles at that price if you're a bit patient maybe a bit lower

buy a civic

fiesta st best bang for your buck.

jeremy clarkson himself said its the most fun car on normal roads in his review of the civic type r so let that sink in

focus st and golf gti have potential to be actually fast. gti with a proper tune is a beast.

If you really want rwd, save a little more for the 15+ ecoboost.

you could get a c5 corvette pretty easily and smoke everything else though, don't know why you wouldn't look at them. insurance is actually cheap because they're mostly driven by old men

Mustang. V6 or ecomeme...i would get the V6 but people swear by ecomeme so w/e.
The s550's look great.

135i with a tune
>bmw badge so bitches dig it
>fast stock, faster with a tune
>later model years increase in reliability
>handles great and is fun to toss around
>reasonably comfy

>kind of cheap interior for a bimmer
>features pretty limited
>reliability is strong-ish but read up on common problems

i'm really not sure what your budget is on repairs, and if you can do all the repairs yourself at a friend's garage or something

>unironically recommending a v6 mustang

you are a fucking idiot. remove yourself from the gene pool asap

No, that's a better buy

Why? I'm paying them all off in 10 years, sure I'll throw some more money in every once in a while but it's whatever, I'm making 65k a year right out of school and I need a car that I want to be useful for a minimum of 5 years. The amount of interest that I would pay off by paying it a year or two earlier isn't worth what I can be putting into my 401k and investing.

Civic Si

Buy a Toyota MR-S and forge a fake Vin for your insurance.

Too bad you didn't study enough to get a good scholarship hehehehahahehe

Wow we are in the exact same situation hahah, I've been looking at pretty much exclusively v6 mustangs.

NEVER FINANCE A CAR! EVER!

Buy the cheapest shitbox you can afford. If you unironically buy a 3k civic you will have the same operating costs as a mustang but will save money now. You do not want to be saddled with such a high interest rate on a asset that depreciates so quickly.

>4cyl mustang
okay user, enjoy your cuckmobile

I already have a cheap shitbox. I'm beyond that poorfag bullshit, I want a real car.

>I'm beyond that poorfag bullshit
no you are not if you don't have the cash to buy a real car

You are not 'beyond' anything, wanting to pay interest (even low interest) on a rapidly depreciating asset such as a car (even a "real car") is precisely the definition of "poorfag bullshit". If you be paitent, save your money and buy your real car when you can pay the full price and not finance a dime you will be much better off in the long run.

Who tf pays cash for $20k+ cars besides richfags, much smarter to spend 5-10k for a down payment and save/invest the rest.

A car isn't a fucking investment, its a hobby I love and enjoy everyday, and having a bumfuck 3k civic is not enjoying your hobby.

I already financed a car before, sold it and it was no big deal for me. Christ you people that have never financed a car and drive 3k shitboxes have no idea what your talking about

Bump for suggestions

I would suggest xr6 turbo because its better than anything you listed, but you can't get that.

just get a civic for 3k. there's time for nicer/faster cars in a few years after you get a decent paying job. having that cash on hand would be good if you needed to pick up and move cross country for a job or you'll be closer to a down payment on a house if you don't live in the bay area or so cal or the northeast.

>getting a loan to buy a car

Loans are for investments user, cars are not investments (unless you need a specific vehicle for work).

>I'm beyond that poorfag bullshit

Evidently you are NOT beyond that "poorfag bullshit" if you need to finance a car, in fact that is stereotypical poorfag behavior - to finance a car beyond your means so that you may appear richer than you are.

my AE86

>its a meme bros

Try to get something that will hold its value well so you can sell it for relatively the same price you paid when your done with the loan. idk wrx? clean s2000?

that what I'm doing with my car I paid 30k$ last year I have 7k$ left on the loan but its a wrx so it should still be worth a good amount in 5 years. eh not bad

You can get all 3 at once in Australia
Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo, or an SS Commodore

Focus ST is AWD.

Stick to the fiesta if you need a FWD. If you need to daily drive a car while you are at college and you have 15k IGNORE fun driving or anything expensive. Priorities are priorities.

I heard really good shit about lexus tho.

They are like hidden poor mans nissan sports cars.

No cash for a 370Z, a GT86 or STI? Get a V6 RWD Lexus.

>Falcon
Just don't get an auto or the radiator will bust into your tranny warmer/cooler at exactly 170,000ks
>SS Commodore
Just don't get it at all.

Focus ST is fwd. Are u high?

7 series for 3k

Yeh hes thinking of the RS

My BA is an auto at 325,000km and it hasn't had any transmission/radiator problems

Maybe the turbs run a separate tranny cooler.

another uni fag (texas) looking to spend max 25k. I was looking at a wrx sti. any other suggestions?

Op here. Not much advice going around. Just a bunch of poor people telling me how I should own a 3k civic until im married with 2 kids and 50 yrs old.

For 25k Mustang GT S550, WRX will be best choice because it holds value real well. 235i's are good as well as.

Mustang gt's are fun.
Don't settle for ecomeme four banger bullshit.

>"but I want it now daddy!"
No son, not 'til you're older....

yeah a mustang would probably be the best option. (I know this is a dumb reason) but im kinda hesitant on muscle just because they are so overplayed where i live.
I was looking at this sti in particular
cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d376&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=78414&distance=500&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=192604116

>wasting the best years of your life driving no fun shitboxes and not enjoying your passion.

Why is Veeky Forums full of anti fun fags all of a sudden? Thought we all enjoyed cars here

Overpriced. Dont go over budget hell you cam get a 2015+ wrx for under 25k.

I can find the previous generation subies for well ober 25k with low miles amd good condition

S2000, Fiesta ST, Miata, E46 ZHP, Golf (MK6?). I would avoid the 135 and the 335 like the plague.

Until the turbos go and its $5k to replace. I'll never own a 135i. Fucking garbage car.

Not 'til you can afford it son, not 'til you're older......

Already owned an e46 amd a miata. S2k is too impractical and fiesta st is too dinky lookin for me and cheap on the inside.

Top of the list for me is FoST or FRS/BRZ unless someone can convince me the mk6 gti is worth my time.

Mustang V6/ Eco is best bamg for the buck from my research however

The v6's are a little under torqued in the low end but still fun to drive.
BRZ's look cool but slow.

They probably do, considering how much more power they're pushing

135i, BRZ or 1LE camaro are all excellent options

128i and mods

Seeing this chart has made me realize that my car is not cheap, reliable, or fast.
Good thing those aren't the only qualities I look for in a car.

FD Rx7 is for you

Dumbest suggestion of the thread award goes to....

The plastics are pretty cheap in the 350z and 370z, they're overpriced imo even used

I agree with this guy. I own a 2014 V6 mustang and I wish it handled a little better, I couldn't go back to anything slower though, even if it had superior handling.

2015 ecoboost is going to handle a lot better but then you're stuck with an engine that dies out at the high end, sounds like an inline 4 and has been starting to show some reliability issues (moreso on the focus RS version tho).

If I could do it again I might have gone C5 corvette, they're right around 15k and really get pretty good gas mileage (although you have to run 93). Not sure about insurance though because of that displacement.

Get a used mk7 gti, you can find them for 17k out the door and they are the best. 27mpg on the highway and it’s a blast to drive. They’re quick enough to be fun but they get scary fast with cheap tunes.

Whoops, that’s should be 37mpg!

>University fag, don't know what to buy. Have a budget of around 15k and need some suggestions.
>Wants:
>RWD (will consider hot hatches)
Yes
>Fast-ish(0-60 preferably in the 5's)
It can go 60mph
>4-6 Cylinder (No 8)
Go Devil 134ci 4 cylinder
>Newer than 2010 (Insurance and discount purposes)
Newer than 1910, progressive will insure it on the cheap

1949 Willys Jeep. You can't go wrong.

It's also 1300lbs, superb for handling!

Can be had for 5-12k and easily modifiable.

this but unironically

This and put a turbo in it

Not the current gen. You'd have to look at Mazdaspeeds or last gen 2.5 Mazda 3s to consider it a hot hatch. The new ones can't really be considered in the same bracket as the STs or a GTI.

Hopefully these upcoming turbo Mazda 6s sell and Mazda can get their head out of their ass and make a good hot hatch again. But they did flat out say that they likely will never make another Mazdaspeed because I guess they're too grown up now and need to focus on crossovers.

>5k to replace

i know they aren't reliable but that's a lie. i have the 328i. it's more than bulletproof. i'd say the n52 is the most reliable modern engine period

ls the world

??

How expensive is the maintenance for a 2014 GTI?

I like my fiesta. Its fun to accelerate and turn fast. I generally cruise at a low speed, but could go fast if I felt like it. Love how tiny it is for parking and maneuvering. Exterior design is meh, but love the interior and a new car is not much more than a used one. Probably the only car you can consider buying new.

>Giving financial advice on a board that caters to automotive enthusiasts

A 3k civic is fun. You've obviously never driven one on a twisty road. No, it's not as fun as a mustang gt but it costs less than what your down payment should be.

vws are trash.

News flash, not everyone wants a 25 year old economy car.

well everyone in school needs one.

You're a fucking university student taking on a huge responsibility and debt for your education and you want to buy a car.

Why not take 12 of that 15k, spend it on paying off your loan, take the 3k civic

>$15k FD

But then he'd need another $10k to unfuck it

You dont know me lol. I have no student loan debt. This isnt a finacial advice board faggot give me suggestions for my budget or gtfo.

Tired of poorfags shitting up my thread with muh 3k civic meme.

Pic related is current shitbox

Well at least you're right on something.

You are in fact driving a shitbox.

Your right, spent $3,200 to buy it, didnt want a civic so fell for the 3k G35 meme.

>g35
>shitbox
I think we have a much different standard for shitbox