Why doesn't anyone try making a spiritual successor to the Chevy Corvair?

Why doesn't anyone try making a spiritual successor to the Chevy Corvair?
>sub 14k mid size car
>very barebones, but in a comfy utilitarian way
>unique look to bait millennial hipsters
>simple, easily fixed powertrain
>no useless screens stuck in the dash
>35+ mpg

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YXxgatAznHU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

cool its every shitbox ever

Corvair was a compact btw

probably because the lawsuits that would ensue every time someone trys to drive one would bankrupt the company

Because hipsters dont have money
People who buy new cars expect "nice" "new" things in new cars

The only people who want barebones and simple are considered "stuck in the past" car guys

>same length as new Civic
Oh look it's a midsize retard

Yeah the corvair was a total failure because it was dangerous as shit even for the seventies. Why don't you buy a two year old fleet Malibu or Camry if you want a cheap no frills mid size.

no you retard
it was in the compact segment

go figure someone who wants a shitty car is dumb as fuck

Here's a better question: why would anyone do that?

It couldn't exist in America, where lawsuits ruin everything.

Gen Z are going to be poor individualist hippies, it's perfect for them

Stop believing everything you read online, the Corvair was totally fine for the time, the famous book was deliberately manipulative and full of lies.

First of all it was the sixties, secondly the Corvair is far less dangerous than what Nader's smear campaign suggested. Some drivers were simply too thick to realize that the layout required a slightly different driving style.

1. the Corvair came out in the early 60s
2. it wasnt that unsafe
3. it was considered a good car at the time
4. the Mustang and a book that had nothing to do with the current model is what killed it

>sub 14k
>mid size
Chose one and only one.
You can't make a car like that and sell it of that little today.

Not the Mustang, the conservatively designed Ford Falcon did.

"Mid-size vehicles today usually have wheelbases between 105 inches (2,667mm) and 110 inches (2,794mm)."
From Wikipedia. Just google it and admit your stupidity.

nah

they were both trying for that cheap sporty market and the Mustang btfo it

the Corvair wasnt really a Falcon competitor even if it was supposed to be at first
Chevy made the II for that

wow you really are retarded

even by modern standards it fits within compact car dimensions

>seriously having to argue about this
For the period it was a compact car. Remember that we're talking about the era when full size cars were 214 inches long and 80 inches wide.

Shitty bait friend

compact car sizing

>USA (EPA)

4,750 mm (187 in)

>Japan

4,700 mm (185.0 in)
there you have it folks

some dipshit on Veeky Forums is right but the people who made the car are wrong

It exists, minus being comfy or unique. Also it's disgustingly pigfat.

It exists in Europe, too, minus looking unique, screens are optional.

It's like calling a gun compact or full size, there's no standard. None of you autists are right or wrong, stop screeching.

except there are standards you dumb fuck

its determined by laws and the Corvair is by all means a goddamn compact

why am I never surprised when Veeky Forums doesnt know anything about cars

Not him but it is about the same size as a Monaro, Monaro is not exactly a huge car but it isn't a compact.

Monaro is 5-12 inches longer and 6 inches wider

There are many different standards, some of which say you're right, and some not. Stop being a stubborn manchild.

its not being stubborn

its a compact car by every standard other than your personal feefees ya "manchild"

Only the really early ones were swing axle, every corvair 65 and later has full IRS, 62+ has sway bars, and 64+ has a transverse rear leaf spring like a Corvette. It's no more dangerous than any other rear engined car.

HK monaro is
4694mm long vs 4656mm long
1814 mm wide vs 1770mm wide
1412mm high vs 1341mm high
pretty fucking similar in size m8.

yeah the 2nd gen

even the first gen is pigfat when you compare it to an actual compact car of the time.
>4120mm long
>1600mm wide

Stop comparing USDM cars to fucking scaled down euro and Australian cars you fucking autists.

>tfw no peppy tiny motorcycle engine subcompact with terrible crash safety
Feels bad man

>tfw too tall for kei cars
I'm pushing it with my miata, can't even heel toe in it and my head is only an inch or so from the roof, and that's with a hard top and me slouching

buy AZ1 install bubble top

stop calling mid sized cars small you fucking autistic americans, you are as bad as the germans calling heavy tanks medium tanks.

Corvair was marketed as a compact retard. When the Chevelle came out the Nova and Corvair clearly slot below it

Same reason Ford won't touch the Pinto.

If the Corvair was released today, it would be an electric car.

All theses people that believe the Nader meme. I grew up driving corvairs, heck I learned to drive in one. The only time I feel unsafe is when I go over 60 in a greenbrier.

Why there is no new "old cars" are safety standards and the fact that people actually like all the fancy gadgets.

>today

youtube.com/watch?v=YXxgatAznHU

God damn, I had no idea that this even existed. Thanks for making my day a little better.

>what is affordability
Commiefornia EV handouts don't count libshit

Teslavair project when?

>Why doesn't anyone try making a spiritual successor to the Chevy Corvair?
Soviets did.
>sub 14k mid size car
Yes, but way smaller, obviously
>very barebones, but in a comfy utilitarian way
You bet
>unique look to bait millennial hipsters
Yes? Although, for unique looks try the 965 model.
>simple, easily fixed powertrain
Yes, aircooled V4 engine in the rear, every cylinder can be replaced separately, because there is no block as such. It breaks of course, being a Soviet car, but it can be fixed with a few random items and a sledgehammer.
>no useless screens stuck in the dash
Sure
>35+ mpg
Mileage is good, but top speed is rather limited.

Oh shit, a picture fell off.

>just a Corvair but smaller
Hard to make a successor to anything when you just copy shit from the west

Ever consider the Porsche transaxle, $500 and an afternoon meme? A sub 2800lb, 400hp mid engined corvair sounds like a fun combo and quasi affordable.

>W-motor
Think thats more that 500 dollars and a weekend

>step 1: put the corvair's air cooled engine in a tesla (somehow)
>step 2: put the tesla's lithium-ion battery packs and electric motors in the corvair (again, somwhow)
>step 3: ???
>step 4: profit

Cars are required by law to have backup cameras and tech like abs, stability control, emissions equipment, ect. Since computerization out the ass is already a requirement you might as well throw in 5$ for Bluetooth and other infotainment hardware. As far as pricing goes, no way you'd break even on it. Add maybe 5k and it's reasonable