Is there any use for these in modern, automatic cars? I'm not sure I've ever seen someone use the e-brake

is there any use for these in modern, automatic cars? I'm not sure I've ever seen someone use the e-brake.

Other urls found in this thread:

mistertransmission.com/best-ways-to-destroy-your-transmission/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I use it because my shift linkage is fucked and I'm too lazy to fix it so I slam it in park, if it still rolls I just put on the parking brake and jerk the car forward by slamming myself into the seat a few times to see if it'll roll then chock the wheels if I'm on a hill.

They are helpful in emergency situations.

I always use it when parking, just out of sheer habbit.
also if there's construction work or something and you know you're gonna be stopped for a long time you can just slap it into neutral and use the handbrake.

when you park in an automatic, its only a pin in the gears that holds the ENTIRE CAR. The parking brake relieves the pressure on the pin so that if someone taps you when parked, the pin wont shear and cause the car to roll

Hectic skids.

mine gets stuck on and I have to go under the car to take it off.

I aint payin $45 for a new cable, fuck that noise

1. dont park your car on its transmission fuckwit
2. i hope that shit fails and you learn the hard way how to use it properly

YAHADRAYAHADRAYAHADRAYAHADRA

>brake line rusted through
>had to use this to stay stopped at lights

is it different in manuals? and I imagine the force required to break the pin would be so great that serious damage would already be done, but if you were parking on a steep hill or something I guess it would be an issue. it's pretty flat around here

you leave it in gear in manuals and use the handbrake.
and no, the pin isn't that big or strong.

ITT: flatlanders

You use it for parking on a fucking hill.

manuals don't have "park" as a gear and instead shift it into "reverse" when parking, there is no pin to screw up.

that being said, putting the cars weight on the transmission is not good in either case so you should still use the parking brake

>Sister's dumbass friend buys a $300 VW bus
>I had to drive it home because she doesn't know stick
>None of the hydro brakes worked
>Had to shimmy hands between steering, shifting, and handbrake the whole time driving it
Wew

Uhh actually it’s called the Hoon Handle, dude

oh, that was retarded of me, I've never driven a manual.

>bust a slave seal
>no brakes
>"good thing I decided to get rid of that redundant emergency brake!"

RIP OP 2005-2017

Nigga what? Reverse?

I learned reverse if you're facing downhill and 1st if you're facing uphill. On an even surface presumably it wouldn't matter.

if your facing down a slope then yes, reverse. if up a slope then leave it in gear.

dunno man, its what the local drivers manual said so i just go with it.

I've heard first but reverse
Makes sense I guess
It's super flat where I live tho so nothing really rolls anyways

Opposite of correct. 1st if facing downhill and reverse if facing uphill. You don't want your engine turning in reverse if the car were to move for some reason. Also, curb your damn wheels and all of this is beside the point.

If your car got hit hard enough to break the parking pawl then you'd have bigger issues to worry about, like what kind of new car you want because yours is totaled.

>You don't want your engine turning in reverse if the car were to move for some reason

if your car starts to roll the point is safety of the people around not preserving your fucking engine retard

Don't ever use the parking brake in a new car with an electronic emergency brake.

If your battery dies, then your car is stranded. You cannot release the parking brake without changing the battery in many cases. You might be able to release it by fucking with the parking brake unit itself, but you don't want to deal with that.

You'd put it in whichever gear has a shorter ratio. It doesn't matter which direction you're facing. Your engine doesnt care which way it turns when it's off.

>You don't want your engine turning in reverse if the car were to move for some reason.
Why do you think this?

all it takes is a tap, its not a very big pin

in the incredibly rare instance of the battery dieing while the parking brake is on then you can just cut the brake cable.

you should be checking your battery anyways

That's completely false. It's strong enough to hold a multiple ton vehicle on a hill, you think it's gonna snap if someone taps your car?

you need a physics lesson, but yes. if its holding your vehicle and someone taps your car, the pin can shear.

hektiks

theyve got beef to them

Yes there are some retards who put their car in reverse, first is fine.

I feel like we have this exact same thread every like 4 or 5 months.
and I don't mean like a similar thread.
I mean the exact same posts each and every time. cause I'm feeling some thread deja-vu here.

In theory - your timing chain/belt doesn't like spinning backwards as much as it likes spinning forwards - but it probably won't cause a catastrophic failure.

Parking 'gear' is too weak, that is why parking brakes are still around.

looks beefy but still wouldn't take much to shear it. all it would take is a transfer of just enough force while the vehicles weight was on it.

>not enhancing your Drift Mode™ experience with the Ford® Drift Stick©
>only $999

its because there are retards here who dont understand safety and those who do. black and white.

but yes its a stupid thread, just use your parking brakes

my guess is if you park it on a very steep hill, it'll do just fine simply because of the beef
but if you were to get rammed with some decent speed it would shear yes
but at that point your car would have some pretty substantial damage

would it shear from someone tapping your bumper while parallel parking however? definitely not

You need a lesson in real life. 99% percent of people in the US who own automatic vehicles never use the parking brake ever, even parking on hills and letting the car roll onto the pawl. It's not as fragile as you think, or people would be breaking pawls all the time. Not saying it's indestructible or that you shouldn't use the parking brake, but that shit's made to withstand people not using their parking brakes.

Depends on how the force is delivered - if there is enough slop in the drivetrain to allow the force to get a "run-up" the pin has no chance.

Put your car in park only and rock it backwards and forwards and you may see what I'm talking about.

It makes no real-world difference whatsoever.

That's what is happening every time someone parks on a hill without using the parking brake, which people collectively do millions of times every day. Again, the pawl is stronger than you think.

mistertransmission.com/best-ways-to-destroy-your-transmission/

>If another vehicle were to even tap yours at the front or back while you’re parked, it could cause the parking pawl to break leaving your vehicle to roll down the street unattended.

>ITT OP doesn't know what a Parking Brake is because he's only ever driven slushboxes.

All current arguments aside, I will share my experience with issues with parking pawls. I have owned two cars that the previous owner never parked on they're parking brake, but rather the pawl. Both cars had issues (I got one for the cheap cause it "didn't like to start") with the neutral switch and I would have to shift them into neutral and rock the car back in forth to get it to crank. It seems if the car is often parked on a hill that this is more likely to develop. It's there. It's a parking brake. Use it if you wish, replace the cable from the additional wear, maybe save money compared to the cost of electronics or transmission repair.

Well I certainly don't like the possibility of spinning your engine backwards a tiny bit every time you park on a hill - just enough to release the tension on your chain/belt so that when you start the engine it has to take up the slack (forcefully) before spinning the cam.

Seems like it would increase wear.

In manuals, you put it in 1st gear and use the handbrake. If you use just the handbrake, 1 strong person can push your car (I've tried with mine). That's why people leave it in 1st gear, so it becomes more difficult to push the car (either by accident or on purpose).
However, if some other car slams into yours with enough strength, it's gonna break the whole transmission.

So it's kind of a moot point. People do it most out of habit nowadays. My mom and brother used to park in 1st gear inside the garage (which is rather dumb when you think about it, the garage is level and there's only space for 1 car).

The case that makes me give the warning was my friend left headlights on and drained their battery dry. It's very possible depending on who the owner is.

well if your gonna be retarded like that then you kinda deserve it.

either way, like i said. cut it. its just a cable that's independent of the hydro system

Yup, it could break. It could also break every time someone parks on a hill without the parking brake, but that doesn't happen every time, very far from it in fact. It's not even close to a guarantee that it will break. And despite what that article says, I think it would take a lot more than a tap to break the pawl.

and im gonna go ahead and trust the people that work on transmissions all the fucking time.

the word tap might be where your having the problem. if a car bumps another at 5km/h then its transferring its ENTIRE weight in force augmented by its speed is being applied directly to the pawl. The chance of it breaking is far too high to be arguing that it wont.

It'll still shear the park pawl - it helps keeps the weight off when normally parked

>lesson in real life
t. boomer
What's next, saying you shouldn't buy bitcoin because "they could just grab the money and run away"? Good goyi- ehm guy

I use it all the time when I park my car. No reason to bounce the car off the transmission when the parking brake does a great job of holding the car. By bounce I mean that bounce you see when someone takes their foot off the brake after shifting into park. More prevalent on a hill.

It's called a handbrake and you should always use it when you stop your car for an extended period of time. It's just that you Americans can't fucking drive, so you don't understand this.

and your country teaches you to engage it when coming to almost any stop, which is extremely unnecessary. It's called a parking brake, just as cars have a windshield and not a windscreen, roundabouts are really traffic circles, and its a goddamn trunk, not a boot. I will admit us americans call tractors semi's though...

my handbrake uses brake fluid from the master cylinder lmao

Why do americans call the hand brake the e brake?

When would using it in an emergency ever be a good idea?

Not stressing the trans in park when you have to park it on an incline, or more importantly skidz

it probably needs to be expensive so not every tard owns one and wrecks their car and possibly a crowd of people

If your brakes failed and there's no other way to stop.

>casually ignores the entire system developed to absorb impacts while calculating precise numbers

I'm sure you are right, I just also think you are an idiot

See everyone talks about breaking the parking prawl, but I've literally never seen one that's broken. Maybe if your an idiot and you jam it in park at 20mph or slam into a curb and put it in park.

Furthermore, to imply someone has hit your car hard enough to break the prawl means they've probably written off your car anyway.Most of the time if something forces a car to move the tires just skip and hop anyway

Manufacturers are (kind of (Not really)) catching on to this, and some are including an emergency bypass for both the E-brake and the transmission.

Just pull the handbrake all the way, if you can still push the car, you need to adjust the cable or the drum self adjuster

>parking brake
it's used for more than just parking, and you pull it with your hand. handbrake.
>windshield
it's a screen, you can see through it.
>traffic circles
saying that makes you sound like a retard that can't remember the word for a roundabout
>trunk
makes no more sense than "boot"

Are you dumb? You put it in first facing uphill so if the handbrake was to fail the car wouldn’t be able to roll backwards.

>I just also think you are an idiot

well done, you sure showed me.

>2+2=4

lmao please dont cuck the e-brake out of modern cars aswell. I enjoy how some of them have them so i can slide some automatic cars around

renting cars and sliding around parking lots is always fun

see

Because it's not always hand activated. In a lot of trucks and old cars it's on the floor and foot activated.

dis

most modern cars have automatic handbrake/park and anti rollback tho

This was literally my best friend
>drives 04 Pontiac Sunfire after his cobalt spun a bearing
>Bought new engine for cobalt back in may, still hasn't got around to swap.
>Dude is not super mechanically inclined but has done enough shit with my help to have an idea of what he's doing.
>buys this Sunfire right after cobalt, 200k, rusty, bad rear wheel bearing, brakes now nearly gone. (also happened to the cobalt because he was too incompetent to deal with seized brembo pins.)
>But the kicker is the shifter bushing. $30 part. 3 bolts.
>But no, he'd rather shift into second before going into first every God dammed time for a year and some because he's stupid like that.
>Also hasn't changed the oil filter in 40,000 km, just tops oil up when it burns down below the line
>His brother is also like this.
Moar?

Oh fuck, I blew it. Whole reason I replied to that was to post a story.

>Sunfire bro calls me up, pretty pushed off
>He got into an accident, said he went to hit the brakes and the pedal pushed through to the floor.
>Flashback to the time 7 is months ago we're parked at a Timmie's and the parking stall is at a slight incline
>pulls in, yanks the E-brake, let's off foot brake and car rolls back
>inform him we can look at that whenever.
>Fucking thing is a stick with Remote Start, EBRAKE IS ESSENTIAL
>Leaves it like this for months
>Flash forward to the impending shittering.
>Yanks E-brake expecting it to save him
>NOPE.jpg
>Slams into brand new CTS-V, writes it off
>Mad insurance is gonna go up

now i dont feel so bad about being OCD about my brakes

There would be no compression resistance from the engine if it was turning the wrong way. Put a socket wrench your accessory belt pulley and see for yourself.

-t. Busrider

What is the power stroke? I DON'T KNOW!

I really don't think it's that expensive really, not for what you get. I just wanted to meme ford really hard.

Redundancy,bro.
What if brake line leak?
Worked at a brake shop for a few years,twice a customer walked in,car parked a few blocks away and zero brakes(pedal sat on the floor)except for the e-brake.
One if those cars used the hydraulics as an e-brake (pedal literally had "pump to set" written on it). Forget the make and model,will specify when I remember.
OP:not shitting on your point,of the couple years on saw the two cars that needed it and one couldn't use it.

its not the engine thats holding it, its the gears in the transmission and while yes they will rotate backwards, it offers some increased resistance over, say, rotating forward in drive or backwards in reverse.

buick riviera
Late 90's
That was the one with the pump to set hydraulic "back up" brake system.
Such a shit idea.

>One if those cars used the hydraulics as an e-brake (pedal literally had "pump to set" written on it)

that is the stupidest shit i have ever heard.

-t. Armchair Mechanic

It's the engines compression.

your so stupid it hurts.

>wat are gear ratios

Gear ratios are the only reason some people use reverse instead of first - because some cars have a higher reduction on reverse.
But all the ratio in the world wouldn't do much without the engines compression on the other end.

I'm the faggot you're arguing with, but you really have no idea what you're talking about. You're also talking out of you're are about transmissions having "more resistance" when spinning backwards. Completely un true and synchros work both ways. You are the typical brain dead Veeky Forums poster.

>I'm not the faggot arguing with you...

>If you use just the handbrake, 1 strong person can push your car
You need to pull it a bit harder then, usually the handbrake is strong enough to lock the rear wheels while driving.
(except if that guy is some weird guy that lifts cars)

>(except if that guy is some weird guy that lifts cars)
This guy is used to hearing crap counterpoints on teh internets.

So how come I can engine brake in a vehicle without compression release brakes? When the throttle body is closed, vacuum builds up in the intake manifold and you get pumping losses.

That's a cool story user but what the fuck does that have to do engines making compression when spun backwards?

the compression argument makes little sense. as the cam turns it would overcome the compression enough to get to the point of opening the valves just fine, releasing the pressure and continuing the rotation. All the engine would have to do is overcome 1 compression cycle and then it would have enough inertia to overcome the others

>I didn't read what was being talked about: the post

your talking about air brakes. whole different beast user, and not the topic at hand.

>cam
>overcome the compression

What the fuck are you talking about? The main resistance when spinning a 4 stroke engine is the PISTON when it is making it's COMPRESSION STROKE (that's the stroke when the valves are close). If the engine is spinning in reverse the POWER STROKE becomes the COMPRESSION STROKE.

Ever drive with air brakes?
Pretty fun bro.
Feels as if you are one half gear lower,but only when you get off the throttle.
More effective at one end of the gear range then the other.( As in 3rd vs 9th)

I had thought you knew how an engine worked. It seems I was incorrect.

do you think all cylinders compress at the same time as each other? as some compress, some vent. a couple compressed pistons will not stop a cars weight and it will just roll on as the other pistons vent. NOT TO MENTION that the compression itself is not high pressure enough to hold a car