What can go wrong if i try to replace spark plugs

what can go wrong if i try to replace spark plugs

i dont want to break anything serious or have one snap off in the head.

Find what your OEM plugs are and use exactly the same thing. Go to harbor freight and get a $15 torque wrench if you're paranoid. You are more likely to break a screw putting a plastic engine cover back on than breaking the plug.

Ok thanks, I got the OEM ones for like $2 each, they say hand tight then 2/3 turn.

I just dont wanna have the plugs snap coming out or something is all.

>Tfw op fucks up and ends up with a misfire and his four banger starts shaking like a truck
Oh wait, that was me

I have a V6, so 33% more likely to fuck up then you :(

Provided neither you nor the previous owner is a complete retard - nothing.

>2/3 turn

Just do it up tight enough that it will never come undone but not so tight that you can feel everything start to go spongy because your ratchet is no longer rotating because the plug is screwing in - it's rotating because everything is flexing.

If you can't feel the difference between a thread turning and metal flexing you should never touch another spanner in your life.

Read instrctins, op.

I can, I've just never done it so admittedly im a bit cautious about it

Just remember aluminium isn't as strong as steel so you'll get less leeway but there's still a huge torque range between "tight enough to not come undone" and "fucken fucked mate big time"

Ok.

Thank you man

I always make sure to relax my arms and breath out while I'm torquing a bolt.
As apposed to tensing up and grunting and reefing on the thing.

>be just like OP
>lose job
>dont have to worry about getting to work in the morning
>start to wrench on car because free time
>disassemble shit
>sometimes have to call someone to fix mess i made and cant put back myself
>still end up learning stuff
>realise how much workshops scam

everyone shud do this

Please let the car cool down if it was at operating temp so you dont dethread the heads.

make sure the block is cold or you run the risk of stripping the aluminum threads.

Use vacuum hose connected to sparkplug to start the thread then once its for sure in you can pull off the hose and the spark plug should stay in the threads.

The reason for this is because you will easily be able to tell when its going in properly since it will screw in with no resistance. If you meet resistance just back it out and start over.

If you try and use a socket to start the thread and you twist one turn too tight past resistance you couldn't feel, you just stripped your blocks threads and you are more or less extremely fucked

>some shit about a vacuum hose
Just use a plug socket and extension bar and starts it off with your hands.

How'd your fuck up

make sure the engine is cold and if the plug seems seized, soak it in WD40 and let it sit for a hour and try again

when i was a tech i replaced probably thousands of sparkplugs and i can remember 3 that fucked up. Fords with the 2 piece sparkplugs that always break, 80s Caravan with rusty plugs where one snapped in half but i saved it, and one of my Toyotas where some dipfuck way overtorqued a plug and i had to soak it in WD40 to eventually get it

also remember new plugs always start threading by hand, if you feel resistance take it out and try again. if not thats where you make your own threads and it becomes fun

>be me
>car won't start
>friend says it's probably spark plugs
>we go buy some nice ones
>put them in
>misfire or some shit, car sounds and shakes like a truck
>oooh buddy
>redo the spark plugs with cheap ones (friend said maybe we bought too good of spark plugs, idk)
>swap em
>runs fine

ya you cant go outside what the manufacturer says. my car takes iridium (shoot me) but if yours takes the cheaper ones (like platinum) then the iridium wouldn't work

Beyond Iridium and platinum and regular shit - you lads know spark plugs have specs on them right?
>length of insulation
>heat range
>gap

You can't just get any old plug and throw it in.... well actually you can but you shouldn't! How hard is it to open up the parts index book in the spark plug isle?

Well yea...I was an idiot back then an he was kind of taking charge cause I thought he knew what he was doing. More than I did, at least.
>Tfw this was 8 years ago
Time
Flies

>How hard is it to open up the parts index book in the spark plug isle?
My car won't be in there.
No listing for batteries, wiper blades, tires, air filters, oil filters, anything.
Why would they list my spark plug?

im dong this right now anbon. will u help me when it won't go back together?

google it nerd

Won't show up.
Hand built cars from 30 years ago.
Even the dealer doesn't know.

Don't let that thread from the other day scare you user. Spark plugs are easy

Is it a Caterham or something?

alright mr special snowflake go ahead and tell us what your special snowflake car is.
I know you're just waiting for someone to ask...

So the engine in your car wasn't available in any other car either? Wtf do you drive

Could be a TVR.

Lawd I hope not. In that case replace with whatever you pulled out.

>How hard is it to open up the parts index book in the spark plug isle?

ill do you one better! I just look in my owners manual. it provides the NGK part number.