V i b e / m a t r i x

Anyone here have a Pontiac vibe / Toyota matrix? Do you like it?

I have a matrix xr. Total POS. The engine is slow in a Corolla, let alone a bigass hatchback. It's only good if your only criteria in a car is practicality (which it does mediocre at best) and reliability. I can't speak for the xrs/gt though

how is its practicality mediocre? I was considering one since it can carry a bunch of stuff; and they seem to generally have Toyota reliability.

The hatch is the only thing that could be considered practical. If you're hauling a bunch of stuff, it's fine, but there are better options out there, ie impreza, which has more practicality generally.

Friend of mine a first gen vibe. For whatever reason, the engine is ridiculously loud at all rev ranges. Nothing is wrong with the car, it just sounds loud. The AWD is shite at best and it has a 2 prong plug near the HVAC controls. The wagon is good for banging tho, so thats something.

not too sure about the vibe but the matrix is pretty good. Its no longer made but the parts are still plentiful and its got lots of cargo space. Should never have engine problems, small toyota engines are bulletproof.

The drawback is YES it is under powered but its a city wagon for people with kids not dads who want a fast daddymobile

Get a 2009/2010 Vibe if you're going to get one at all. The 2.4 can be supercharged a lot easier iirc.

Worth the extra dosh to get the AWD version you think? It gets snowy where I live

Xrs or bust.

I have a 2004 Matrix XRS. 2ZZ-GE.

The 2ZZ is fun, it revs to 8 grand (A little higher actually, something like 8.1k i think) and the VVTI kicks in hard in lower gears. If you like cars that you have to wind out to get power out of, then you'll like this car. It's a fun reliable hatchback. Great daily, mine doesn't give me much problems aside from having to change my water pump since the seal around it is going. (Second pump in 70k, car has 145k now) Parts are cheap still and tires aren't expensive despite me having the optional 17 inch wheels.

Mine takes being driven hard quite well, surprisingly. I hit redline multiple times a day and it doesn't complain. It's prone to understeer due to the weight balance of the car, but it is otherwise very communicative of what it will do. Easy and predictable to drive, not twitchy in the slightest. the transmission is also very good, C60 has a nice gear spread and it makes it possible to get 30 mpg or a little more when you want to (in sixth on the highway of course)

The rear seats fold down and make it very easy to sleep/camp/fuck in the back. Mine is Solar Yellow, and unfortunately, the police will bust your balls every now and then because of how easy you are to see.

I highly recommend one as a daily. For aftermarket stuff, Monkeywrench Racing has you covered for most things, if not everything.

I wouldn't get a 1zz, super slow and although TRD made a supercharger kit for it at one point in time, just not worth it for the apparent oil burning issue it has.

Remember, the Matrix and Vibe are the same car, and often times you can find a Vibe GT (Matrix XRS equivalent) for less money than it's Toyota counterpart.

Used to have an awd 04.
Good car, not a fast car.

Got an xr. Removed the back seats since bachelor life. Hand me down from my sister who never changed oil and ran into pylons multiple times. Drivers corner caliper is busted, making do with vice grips to clamp the line, gorilla taped to the swaybar endlink. Daily beater/parts hauler duty. Good for what it is. Would take the matrix over the corolla sedan just based on storage capability. Anonymous Normie Shitbox/10

On a related note, is the matrix the closest toyota out right now to a direct ancestor of the AE-86? Think about it- corolla+hatch, econobox meant for the middle class commuter, cheap. Are we all dagumi?

jeez just how big was the back w/o the seats?

accurate
I've worked on a couple Matrix and Vibe cars
Worst job is the heater core, fuck that. The entire front interior has to come out to replace it, whereas in the same-year Corolla the heater core just slides out after removing the two hoses and a couple panels.

>I'm not the only person with a matrix XRS on Veeky Forums
hell yeah

Yours looks very nice, mate. Mine unfortunately is a little beat up over the year. Minor side swipe and scrapes on the body kit have not been kind to it.

>FWD

>minor side swipe
literally me too

Dude, that's ridiculous. What state? Also, any big repairs lately?

Kansas. Only "big" repair is my attempt to cover that up. Got 8t primed but need color matched paint. I'll probably need to redo the primer. Not looking forward to it

Also need to get the wheels off and look at the rear brakes because they're grinding,but my weak ass can't get the lug nuts off

I have an AWD 2004 matrix. It's decent enough as an A to B car, but it's slower than the average Veeky Forums user's brain and it's already needed like $800 in control arm repairs. Meh, buy it if you just need something to plod along with tools and shit.

AWD is generally garbage. It sucks fuel and causes the entire drivetrain to become a BITCH to fix should it break.

if it really snows where you are then get some studded tires or tirechains. over the lifespan of the car, these will serve you better

>but my weak ass can't get the lug nuts off

get a breaker bar or just stomp the lug wrench like it just fucked your GF.

No, it's really slow with AWD. Get an Impreza.

I'm from NY and that definitely does not look fun. Luckily my car is pretty rust free, just got a tie rod that could use replacement, get some new exhaust bolts because someone tried to steal my cat just gave up and now it's like a half way open header. Gonna die my trans fluid soon as I get a service manual so I can knock out everything in a day.

It's a fantastic not very shitty shitbox.

Vibe is a great way to get a used toyota with out paying the Yota tax.

Not practical ? are you kidding this car has suv kinds of space with the seat folded down.

OP get the first gen it's way more fun to drive and there is more space inside.

It's slower than the fwd version. Detuned from the factory iirc.
First gen looks better too.

okey

I owned a 2003 matrix for about 4 years. It's basically a corolla with a hatch. Good reliability but thats about it.

looks like the 04/03 matrixes are around 4k near me w/ 150k on the odo. Y?

why? its a 13 to 14 year old car. KM dont matter on a toyota engine really but the other shit might be worn as fuck.

My daily is an autotragic, base 1.8l 2010 Matrix. It's basically a Corolla with a hatchback but I love it. It is the perfect A to B car for me. Decent gas mileage despite the small fuel tank, good visibility, great cargo room especially with the rear seats folded down and its driving style sometimes reminds me of hatches from the 90s, in a good way. It does everything I need it to do, and it does it well. If it was a manual it would be the perfect daily as far as I'm concerned. Obviously it isn't fast, or sporty, but I'm not blasting down backroads in this thing and I don't think you would be either if you're considering one, that's not its purpose. It's meant to get me from home to work to back home again and it does that job very well.