V6, V8, V12. What do we actually need and which one is overrated?

V6, V8, V12. What do we actually need and which one is overrated?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q6o0bV3pmNI
youtube.com/watch?v=O1s20Gk5yQM
thedrive.com/watch-this/15557/watch-this-tuned-audi-rs3-run-a-10-55-second-quarter-mile
youtu.be/j9z86NZafL0?t=255
youtube.com/watch?v=jXHvY-zY9hA
youtube.com/watch?v=PRwZqJU_9_Q&t=53s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

V8 or i6

/thread
vee 8 sounds like shit
and I6 is memed like hell by bmw and JZ fags

god this entire post is so awful i dont know where to start

this board sucks

>those are the two engines we should keep
Question tho. How come we never see V10's often ?

Two-rotor wankel

Barra engine is the best engine ever made
Turbo i6 master race

The best engine layouts ranked respectively
>4 rotor
>V8
>inline 6
>V12
>flat 6
>v10
>3 rotor
>2 rotor
>i4
>inline 5
>literal shit
>v6

V6 is crap
V10 is life
youtube.com/watch?v=q6o0bV3pmNI

What's wrong with V6?

Sounds like shit, revs like shit. Naturally unbalanced and thus requires lots of tech to keep it from blowino apart, and just a genuinely characterless engine layout. There's a reason they're only used in camries and minivans. (Save the busso amd the Nissan v6)

V10 is garbage. Not as simple as a V8, not as smooth as a V12. Just a middle ground no one asked for.

V10 > all

>Gallardo and son line
>Viper
>R8
Why make a V10 when V8 is cheaper and if you are dishing out money why not just make a V12?

V12 is too long and heavy to justify unless youre building an engine with more than 6.0 liters and v10 needs balance shafts I think. V10 is cool tho. V8 is the best layout for anything above 3.5 liters desu

no step on h6 or ill be out for blood
>in4 vapelord
>inb4 porsche fanboi

>V12 is too long
Doesn't any engine compartment that can fit a Straight 6 can also fit a V12, length wise?

wat

Daily reminder that a 90º v6 engine holds the speed record on the Mulsanne straight on Le Mans.

can't tell if this is real bait or just shitposting.

All other lists are wrong
V10
V8
V12
I6
All Rotary
I4
F6
F4
I5
V6

V6's used to be big, heavy garbage that always made you wish for a V8, but I like the direction they're going now. V6 turbos or TTs are becoming seriously good engines. 5 cylinders can fuck off, rotary is dead forever, and V10's will always be king

The gm high feature is pretty nice. Revs to 7000+, produces a fair bit of how and torque na, and has a decent aftermarket

So if you take a 90° V6 and roll it out the back of a eurovan near the burgerring it will go setting records by itself?

Amazing.

>only used in camries and minivans
Muh F-Type.

>no love for V4 engines

youtube.com/watch?v=O1s20Gk5yQM

Which comes with a V8 option lmao

>rotary

Sure is nice making the torque of a 4 cylinder, the power of a 6 cylinger, the fuel consumption of a V8, and emissions of a V12.

>200hp

So are you saying the aj30/duratec is bad?

>muh hp

You forget that it is still one of if not the most smoothest engine ever made, and V8s are known to not be well balanced

Don’t forget:
>weight of a v-twin
>size of a loaf of bread

>Sure is nice winning Le Mans
Sure am, at least Duratec V6's like Ford's 2.5L absolutely terrible engine

They can t. BMW M70 and M73

V4, V6 and V8, yeah.

>I4 above I5
Come on, son. The sound alone should put it above that.

V6
They barely use less fuel than a v8 but sound shit and are weaker

Lol that's funny. Just as one example, name a popular 5 cylinder that can even come close to a turbo k20.

>just a tune
thedrive.com/watch-this/15557/watch-this-tuned-audi-rs3-run-a-10-55-second-quarter-mile

600hp on stock internals enough? Or do I need to pull out the "block can handle over 1000hp" card?

The best engine is a 78 liter V18 cummins boat engine

Friendly reminder that anything above v6 is for fags with microdicks
and anything below is for soyboy cucks

The fuck did you say?

Rebuild every 500mi: The story of how I bought German shit

W12 master race

Meanwhile those old Audi blocks dominate Europe's drag racing scene, and are known for their ability to make massive power while still remaining reliable.

Theoretically yes but then you've got to make the car wide to accommodate everything, in an inline youve got the v12's balance but you still have the interior space of a longitudinal 4 banger, which are great to work with.basically a i6 is simpler mechanically
Then blew up immediately
>gm
>decent
The f types v6 is shit it's literally everything thats wrong with v6's, it doesn't sound bad, but it doesn't sound like that ungodly roar the v8 makes, it's literally made from the same block as the 5.0 they use, so its just as heavy and only displaces 3.5 liters lmao. Its a base !model engine the only reason its worth considering is that Jaguar has a manual option on the v6's.
The rotaries are cool because they're small and make great power. As my great friend ryosuke Takahashi said, the key is not the poweer but the perfect 50\50 weight dis. Resulting from its small size. 4 rotors also sound unbelievable.
>TFW 2.6 liters and make 830hp NA

I don't think the new v6 is based off the old duratec stuff. Jag has made a big deal about pushing all the ford tech out the door
The old duratec engines would eat timing chains pretty bad I had an x type and that's what killed it.

Postin' even-firing 90° V6 that I love despite being a massively pigfat and overly complex hunk of cast iron

*straight six

>V8s are known to not be well balanced
V8s are perfectly balanced at a 90° V angle and the correct firing order

I think he’s referring to the rumbly old American pushrod v8s. Those are a far cry from modern, well-engineered v8 engines.

>need
SHALL NOT

>muh smooth

Go to bed grandpa

V6 into the trash it goes
V8 is not bad
flat plane v8 is fucking sweet
l6 godly

>V8s are known to not be well balanced
my ferrari is balanced just fine

POO IN LOO

>Caring about emissions or fuel economy like some hybrid driving suburban mom

Outright power isn't what the rotary is about, it's about light weight in a well balanced car with smooth, usable power for an excellent overall driving experience.

"V8 sounds like shit"

Untrue.

the best engines are rotaries, v8s and inline 4s

Barra a shit, m8. Brb melted bottom end from little boost and warped heads for days.

>sounds like shit
pretty sure you're referring to that wet fart sound that comes standard on a 911

>V6
Literally a marketing scam.

>V8
It's just two I4s strapped together, absolute cuck tier.

>V12
The V16s baby brother, a more practical option for the civilized driver. After all, the only thing better than an I6 is two I6s.

>pic related
Turbo I6 is hands down best engine layout; all the benefits of a V12, but with the power potential of whatever your bank account allows.

v8 is the only engine we need
v12 is the only engine we want

I can get behind this

How to make table like that?

The V12 is honestly the god of all engines, closely followed by I6
Nothing comes close to a big, naturally aspirated V12

>turbo l6 has the power of a V12

v12 > v10 > i6 > v8 > i5 > rotary > i4 > i3 > v-twin > 2 stroke 1cyl > v4 > v6

There's always going to be a point where you can get more power out of an I6 with forced induction compared to an NA V12. Problem is, this usually requires a considerable amount of money and engineering.

>Ctrl+F
>No V16

Fags, the lot of you.

Unironic question: What do you have against V6? I don't need a V8 beast nor can afford the costs.

how come v4's are only used in motorcycles?

>imblyign

Because motorcycles are simply about being a special snowflake sometimes. In cars straight fours are small enough to fit into any car in any orientation and achieve the same power and fuel stats as a V4 without the unnecessary complication of having two headgaskets, cylinder heads, fuel rails, rocker shafts and so on.

and what about flat 4 engines?

flat engines have a lower center of gravity

and also tradition, Subaru and Porsche have put a lot of development and research into their engines so why change?

>a modern example

A whole bunch of car makers have used them (Lancia, Ford, Saab and probably more).
Their advantage compared to an inline layout is length. Keeping the block shorter is pretty nice for motorbikes. It doesn't matter much in a car though.

>Sure is nice winning Le Mans
>one time
>after a decade of attempts
>after everyone else broke down

are rotards the biggest engine brainlets?

>not really a V16, the lot of you

It's two V8s joined end-to-end and the whole thing is mounted sideways in the middle of the car.

>>one time
>>after a decade of attempts
>>after everyone else broke down

>>after everyone else broke down
And yet "rotaries are unreliable"

You know what would be hilarious? Toyota not being able to finish 1rst on next year's Le Mans 24h even after decades of attempts and while being the only car in the class.

Less space for the chassis, you want it to be triangulated for strenght.

(you)

V engines are fucking gay.
Inline 6 is the master race.

youtu.be/j9z86NZafL0?t=255

Jackie Chan overall win when

I'm aware.

An Inline 14 is the biggest and most powerful engine in the world.

youtube.com/watch?v=jXHvY-zY9hA

If you don't have a V8 you're a fag or you're not from America, but that's just saying the same thing twice.

oh burn

Found the dicklet

Found the yurocuck.

If you promote conformity you're a god-awful American and should off yourself.

American superiority jokes don't really work anymore thanks to Trump. We're the laughingstock of the world.

Personally I'm a sucker for 4 bangers boosted to the moon. Easy to work on, parts and aftermarket out the ass, still get great MPGs until you give it the beans, works great in longitudinal or lateral mounting solutions.
Plus if you're not retarded and built the engine to handle more revs you get that sweet, sweet 10k redline.

Video related, 900hp turbo K20 swapped Toyota MR2 cuckolds a GT500, a Gallardo, and even a few bikes:
youtube.com/watch?v=PRwZqJU_9_Q&t=53s

>He thinks it was Trump that broke the camels back