Why do almost all hybrids use a retarded parallel/series parallel powertrain, when the series layout is cheaper...

Why do almost all hybrids use a retarded parallel/series parallel powertrain, when the series layout is cheaper, simpler, and gives better MPG? Quick rundown, the series layout doesn't need a 400 lb transmission, or complex links to allow the engine and electric motors to work together.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_conversion_efficiency
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

generator losses are huge, the maintenance nightmare of a gas generator is huge and you would do better to use that weight/size/packaging for more batteries

you should apply for the job and show all those engineers how it's done

>generator losses are huge
But so are losses from adding a bunch of weight, as well as operating the engine at widely varied loads.
>maintenance nightmare
It's literally a normal engine without the tranny.
>use that weight for more batteries
Which still add massively to the weight and cost of vehicles, plus all the downsides associated with EVs (shit in the cold, shit range, enjoy trying to sell it used when the battery starts going)

>there's no point in discussing anything because smarter people are always right and have figured it out

Does it really matter when EVs are going to be practical within the next ten years?

>generator losses are huge,
No, they're fucking not.

Diesel freight trains in America are series hybrids. The diesel engine only powers the generator that provides electricity for motors that actually move the train, because this is actually more fuel efficient than having the diesel engine directly drive the wheels.

Why? Because the fuel efficiencies of engines depend entirely on what RPM they're being run at. Considering only the engine, the RPM that uses the least amount of fuel is the idling speed, while the RPM that provides the highest power:fuel-consumed ratio is the RPM at which torque peaks.

A series hybrid vehicle can be designed so that the engine is always running at its peak torque RPM, to provide the highest amount of power to fuel, and to have this be just enough to generate all the electricity the vehicle could use in any given moment.

Doing so make the hybrid more fuel efficient than the pure ICE equivalent because the pure ICE equivalent needs to increase its engine speed to higher, less fuel efficient speeds in order to accelerate the vehicle before a gear change.

A generator is literally 30% efficient.

An engine used as a generator is way more efficient than one used directly for propulsion retard.

take a look at the bmw i3, it has exactly what you are talking about
it can do ~80 miles per charge, with the range extender it can do ~150miles (full charge+full tank)

the cost of the range extender is about 10% less range on pure electric
and now you have to worry about maintenance, e10 fuel will start to go bad after about 3 months

as a product it just becomes this weird stopgap that wont see wide adoption

the energy lost to heat between the engine and electric motor is the issue

>complex links to allow the engine and electric motors to work together
it's really not complex, it's basically an electric motor geared onto the sun gear of a planetary gearbox
manufacturers have settled on to variations of this + a CVT because it works really well
you get both the instant torque of the electric motor, the top speed of the ICE and you still get that atkinson 4cyl to run at peak RPM efficiency through the CVT

a generator style setup would require an engine that isn't easily developed from existing stock and the sacrifice of top speed/highway driving
all for the weight savings of a spare tire and a passenger

because that's roughly the power conversion efficiency of all normally-aspirated ICEs.

Most of the energy that could be used to drive the vehicle is wasted as heat.

Which is why you don't make a range extended electric, that's retarded, I agree. But a series hybrid with small batteries and an always on generator would be like a conventional ICE car with way better MPG.

>top speed of the ICE
>sacrifice of top speed/highway driving
Heard it here first folks, electric motors make cars slow.

No you literal retards.

you get 30% of the POWER from the output of the crank after you send it through an generator, then through some wires, and then through a motor.

I'm not talking about efficent charging, or none of that. I'm talking about when the battery is dead, after the first 80 miles of a drive on the freeway.
after that point, you will be FORCED to either charge it, or use tons more fuel.

>makes unintelligible post
>retarded if we couldn't understand it
k

fantasies

Unless you can source us, you're pulling numbers out of your ass. Generators are not as inefficient as you seem to think.

Not an argument

>somebody too $100K loan for their "education"
>therefore their decisions are automatically unmistakable
okay...

lets get some details here to clear things up

are you proposing something performance wise similar to a p100d?
or a chevy bolt?
and are you suggesting your car would have a minimal sized battery(5 miles? 30?) or a typical electric car sized battery (~100 miles?)
and does this thing cost 40k or 140k?

It's hard to give you a solid source, as it would be very difficult to calculate exacts.
But here is a page that may help you.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_conversion_efficiency
>Wind Turbine
>Kinetic to electrical
>Theoretically at most 59% efficent
Okay, so you are already at most 59% efficient just to produce the power.
>Now Motors
>electric to kinetic
>70% to 99%
I'm not sure to be honest why it is a broad range, but I'm thinking it may have to do with load. Lets say 85%.
Oh dear, we are already to 50% or so.
There's wire losses, but regardless, I was a bit off at 30%, but 50% is STILL fucking shit mate.

>only way for engine to drive wheels is through the electric motor

Then what the fuck do you do when the batteries are flat but you want to keep driving on petrol?

Cars aren't trains.

I'm telling you it's possible to put powerful electric motors in reasonably priced cars, because EVs already exist. A 5 mile battery would be all you need as it's never without a generator. There's no reason such a design wouldn't cost less than the competition using large battery banks and transmissions.

The batteries never go dead.

This is why CVT exists.
Program it to hold the engine at peak torque, and suffer no conversion loss.
And suffer no fucking massive weight gains.

Fuck those are some good batteries.

>draw 100kw from motor because you are flooring it
>engine is only capable of 46kw
>batteries go dead
>car is now much slower

The batteries never go dead.
so you are charging them at the same rate they discharge? or you let them discharge and then charge them faster than they discharge?

>obvious layout of series hybrid in OP
>you still can't understand it

You are implying that the engine can supply more power than the motor can consume.

YOU ARE FUCKING WRONG.
SHUT UP.

What you are proposing doesn't sound like a Hybrid, Hybrids are the stop gap between ICE and EV as the technology develops. Your idea seems to be more like a fully fledged EV with it's own portable charging station - probably possible with today's technology but that's no reason to rag on Hybrids.

You don't think an engine can fit in a car with enough power to run electric motors? Quite a theory.

>EV with it's own portable charging station
Which is the literal definition of a series hybrid.

I mean, you are suggesting an electric transmission
something that has been around for nearly 100 years and used in things like trains, ships, tanks and notably tied to batteries in submarines

the general advantage to such a system is the whole torque from zero rpm thing
note that this system is only really used in things where a weight limit is not adhered to

or, if you are leaning more towards >EV with it's own portable charging station
I guess it would work, but I think you would run into think of it this way, would an f150 be more efficient with whatever direct drive gas engine
or
you rip out the drivetrain, put some direct drive electric motors out of a crashed tesla and throw a generator in the bed
and I guess have some intermediary battery for supplying an even/steady amount of electricity

I would bet on the non-electrified version

Of course you can put a supercharged V8 Jag running at peak torque to produce enough power to run a tesla electric motor continuously.
But why would you?

It's a hybrid, its going to have a 2.~L Diesel making 46KW at its peak torque. So why would you put a electric motor that will only draw say for conversion, 30KW or so.
The answer is that you wont.

Well you have to be able to build an EV before you can build an EV with it's own portable charging station.
Let me explain Hybrids:
>Have ICE tech down pat
>Building ICE cars like it ain't no thang
>EV tech starts to rise
>Begin adding EV tech to your ICE cars so that you may progress into EV smoothly

You're at the other end, which we may be getting to soon, but like I said that's no reason to rag on Hybrids:
>Have EV tech down pat
>Building EV's like it ain't no thang
>"Hey let's try to incorporate ICE tech so we can achieve more range"

Most manufacturers are not yet at that stage.

>You don't think an engine can fit in a car with enough power to run electric motors? Quite a theory.
the absolute base model tesla draws 285kw at max "throttle"

>you rip out 600+ lbs of weight
>you add under 500 back, in parts that make it more efficient
I would bet on the electrified version. Assuming it has a tuned high efficiency generator of course.

What are you talking about? A decent hybrid built around this idea would obviously use the smallest generator possible to avoid wasting energy.

>that's no reason to rag on Hybrids
A series hybrid IS a hybrid, you absolute brain dead retard.

>comparing a Tesla with a budget hybrid
A generator charging enough for average consumption can handle plenty of hard acceleration, and a low cost hybrid only needs to accelerate as fast as a normal car.

Way to dismiss the entire post and focus instead on a matter of pure semantics.
By "Hybrids of course I mean the Hybrids currently in production - you know the ones you hate.

Doesn't seem to be much point discussing this further with you though because you clearly don't want anyone to tell you anything other than "Wow you're right, you're so smart!"......

>By "Hybrids of chores I mean the Hybrids currently in production
It was by no means obvious what you meant.
>the ones you hate
I don't hate any tools, I like discussing how to make them better.
>there's no point in discussing this further because you counter everything I say
That's what a debate is, you sperg.

You literally disregarded the entire post and still haven't countered a single point (except to say series hybrid cars, whilst they don't actually exist, are also technically hybrids).

>use the smallest generator possible and make the car slow as shit
Leave Veeky Forums
No really, get out. You're counterproductive to anything we stand by.

>you rip out 600+ lbs of weight
>you add under 500 back, in parts that make it more efficient
Have you ever held a transmission?
They weigh like 70 pounds.
That's the only part you're ripping out as you still need an engine.
I know you've never heald a car sized electric motor or a suitable generator, but they're both just giant metal things with heavy magnets lining the inside walls and literally a hundred pounds of copper each.

Series is more lossy, its a fact. And its basically configurable in software at this point with the new power split transmissions. Look up how hybrid synergy transmission works, why spin an engine to generate electicity, to spin a motor, to spin when wheels, when you can have torque directly from the engine go to the wheels? And new hybrid transmissions are similar in size and weight to a regular automatic transmission, but much more simpler mechanical (power split ones are). The 50lbs or so in weight comes from the invertors

The main point of hybrids is that the ICE can shut down when coasting, stopped, or low load while the battery handles the accessories and small amount of propulsion enerrgy needed, that and also electric accessories such as PS and AC are more efficeint since they work as hard as they need to, not based on engine rpm. Another place efficiency gains come in is the variable gear ratios, since you can be doing 70mph while your engine is at only 1400rpm since its low load. Thats the main unique to hybrids places that a hybrid gets its efficiency boost from, engine stop start at low loads, efficient electric accessories, and variable gear ratios. And then regenerative braking helps you make use of otherwise wasted energy to power accessories or coast with the engine off.

>Wind turbines
>Representative of the efficiency of an engine generator

The reason the wind turbine generator is under 60% efficient is because it's including the efficiency of the turbine, which can.only extract so much energy from the airflow. If it were 100% efficient at converting airflow to power how would the air escape the turbine if ALL of its kinetic energy were absorbed by the turbine.

The efficiency of a generator is about the same as a motor, if not higher because the simpler control method, so around 85 percent. It's not as bad as you say but a transmission with under 80 % efficiency is fucking awful when a bicycle chain can be over 99% efficient.

You did forget one layout completely. The four wheel application where the engine is completely like in fwd model and drives only front wheels and the electric motors are in the back completely independent from the engine with no mechanical connection to the engine or transmission.

At least Peugeot, Citroen and Volvo uses this kind of hybrid drive.