Try to do my brakes today

>try to do my brakes today
>Discover the stands have a minimum height only just below the maximum of the jack I bought
>Because I'm jacking it at the front and the stand points are further back there's no way to get them underneath.
>Also discover I got the wrong sized hex key to remove the guide pin
>Go to the store to see what I can do about this
>The store is about to close so I don't get to deal with the jacks, but it turns out the hex key I need (7mm) is the size most sets don't come with, so I have to buy a 40$ set just for that
>Go back, a neighbour comes to help for a bit. Says not to worry about the stands and that I'll break my engine jacking at the front and that I should only do it on the side
>Fuck it, I do it as he says, having the car only supported by the jack. At least I don't need any vital body parts under the car for this.
>Manage to get the guide pin off. Nearly brake something before discovering this one doesn't open up like a plan and I need to remove both pins and pull it right off
>But the top pin is in such an awkward position it's only possible to move it using the long end of the hex key
>Except I can't do so because I can't get enough leverage
>Neighbour helps out again, makes relatively short work of it with the end of the lug nut thing
>He must have thought I looked like a clown and ends up doing the entire job himself while I watch
>Except having watched the chrisfix video I bought all these lubes and silicone pastes etc which go unused
>He also didn't notice the rotors I bought and doesn't touch them
>Not sure I'll even be able to do it myself as the bolts are on fucking tight and a quick try with the 450mm breaker bar I bought didn't achieve anything
So I ended up spending considerably more on tools and equipment than a trip to the mechanic, nearly pulled my back and yet didn't get to do anything myself, and yet ended up with a half done brake job.
This is part of the fun, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dRPcskNzE0o
youtube.com/watch?v=RjtQtPpaSjY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you need to get gooder

Yea just buying the tools the first time is an investment. Next time you'll only get raped on the parts.

Helps if you arent stupid.

Dude why aren't you jacking from the sides? I don't get it

all (most) modern cars have a subframe that you can jack the car up with. why the fuck are you lifting from the front.

Yeah that's one positive
Because the stand and jack point on the side are the same and I can't place a stand if the jack is already there.
The manual specifies a jack point centre front although it's not clear exactly where it is

>chrisfix
dont watch faggots that shill products.

What car?

I'm aware there are other points you can use to jack but I wasn't confident to do so. Whats wrong with jacking at the front? I've seen others do it. As I mentioned there's a specific point for it, plus you get both wheels up at once.
07 Saab 9-3

>watches hours videos
>buys hundreds of dollars worth of supplies
>before even trying to touch the car
This is Austism.
If you had the ability to things out for yourself, which you obviously don't, you would have realized all you need to do is put a block of wood under your tire - let the jack down - put a block of wood under the jack - jack it back up - ad infinitum - and you can jack the car up as high as you like.

I've had all 4 wheels a meter off the ground using this technique.

Two seconds to search on google.
youtube.com/watch?v=dRPcskNzE0o

>Whats wrong with jacking at the front?
You cant get the car high enough to put jackstand under it. Why havent you figured this out yet?

>chrisfix
youtube.com/watch?v=RjtQtPpaSjY

Ive seen that video, it doesn't show the front and rear centre jack points. I suppose I could have placed the stand and jack next to each other on the frame.
Of course I saw that it was too short but figured it was due in part to my stands being too tall/jack too short.
I tried and failed once already which was how I found I didn't have the right tools at first although I managed to screw up again anyway
How stable are multiple pieces of wood stacked? I don't have much big sturdy timber lying around

Negro, he tells you clear as fucking day in the video. Jack the fucking car up where the control arm connects to the car and put the jack stand where that lifting post is.

You are the reason I dont buy used cars. Go take your shit to a mechanic or pay your neighbor to do it for you, please.

Brakes are easy as shit you genuinely sound like an idiot

Spare wheels are great for putting under your tires to get extra height, but yeah you need something sturdy to put under the jack - bricks or pavers or a big square log of timber.

Just have the pinch welds suffer, it's not that big of a deal. Also you likely have a subframe you could easily set the car on maybe.

Another Saab owner here. The front jacking point is shady as hell; I've had positioned *perfectly* on the subframe point on very flat concrete, and had the car tip over and fall off the jack twice. I just go from the sides now.

>DURR HOW MAKE JACK HIGHER
>ME NOT KNOW HOW TO GOOGLE JACKING POINTS
>ME NOT KNOW ABOUT USING SMALL 2X4 AS JACK EXTENDER

>shit normies say

Did you buy a bottle jack or something?
If you did, the end unscrews to make it taller.

it seems like there's some basic problem solving skills that you're lacking

Learn to wrench. Get more experience. Struggle on a 30 minute job for 2 hours. Before you know it youll make short work of the job and apply all the lubes and do shit the exact way you want.

this. the best experience you can possibly get is through fucking up. make mistakes, be confused, break shit. after that all happens, you'll know exactly what not to do.