Is this even reliable? What would be an alternative if I broke it or something? What if it's hacked?

Is this even reliable? What would be an alternative if I broke it or something? What if it's hacked?

In my opinion, Smart Keys are a complete degenerate of cars. I want the new cars that still have the good old classic metal keys.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4420786/Thieves-caught-CCTV-hacking-Mercedes-couple-s-drive.html
youtu.be/f7IJWpkMwAE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That's supposed to be a key? It's as big as a fucking phone. Fuck everything about that thing.

Why do I need a picture of my own fucking car on my keys?
If the door unlocks itself with the key within 5 meters anyway, why do i need to know if it's currently unlocked or not?
How will knowing the time help me in owning an EV in any way?
Can I use the undo button on the bottom to undo the mistake of buying the car?
Why is there a parallelogram feature?
Will I have to charge the fucking keys every night? Theres no way that fucking phone can get a full charge from the ignition.
Who allowed this?

This

An app would be much simpler.

Okay Volvo, calm down there

>mfw everything that was better small keeps getting bigger, from car keys and cell phones to cars themselves

>*cracks screen*
>that will be 500 dollarinos m8

also, how long until those fuckers get hacked?

Have manufacturers really run out of improvements to make to cars? Seems every new "innovation" is just more answers to questions that no one asked.
>keyless entry
>electronic hand brakes
>massive screens and digital gauges
>even worse, touch screens
>huge wheels prone to cracking and low profile tyres which cost a fortune
>M Sport / S Line / ST Line / AMG "packages" that are nothing more than fancy bumpers and firmer suspension on normal cars
>now this shit
What is next?

Standard self-driving cars, biometric ignitions, expensive pay to play manual control "upgrade" packages.

Are there any newer cars that have conventional keys and no start/stop button? Really, I find it extremely satisfying to turn the key and feel the engine start. Pushing a button is no match.

>modern keys

> No one asked for

Keyless entry is as convenient as electric windows
Electronic handbrake work well, and before you comment yes you can activate them even if you're driving for emergencies
Digital gauges are awesome if done well like Audi (for once they do something right)
You can get smaller wheels if you want but exactly like the sport packages that are just ricer trims now, they do that because people want them.

>Keyless entry is as convenient as electric windows
Not even close to comparable. How hard it is to press a button? Not to mention the security issues with keyless entry, it is a pointless feature
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4420786/Thieves-caught-CCTV-hacking-Mercedes-couple-s-drive.html
>Electronic handbrake work well, and before you comment yes you can activate them even if you're driving for emergencies
They are overly complicated and cost a fortune to fix when they go wrong, which they do. Totally unnecessary compared to a simple lever which no one had an issue with
>Digital gauges are awesome if done well like Audi (for once they do something right)
Personal preference, but more to go wrong and unnecessary "innovation"
>You can get smaller wheels if you want but exactly like the sport packages that are just ricer trims now, they do that because people want them.
18" wheels are now small, the point is cars don't need massive wheels. More unnecessary cost and the cars ride worse because of them.

Run flat tyres can fuck right off as well.

I agree with you on the Scotty principle. The more complicated you make it the easier it is to break.

Tying car functions into the computer scares me because you have to have the functioning computer for the whole system to run. Where a 90s car had simple direct mechanisms that are easy to fix.

The new digital dashes and computer controlled everything looks great but how will it stand up in 10 years?

>Have manufacturers really run out of improvements to make to cars?
Yes. Every model year has to have something new or else nobody will come into the showrooms.
We got to the point where all creature comforts were addressed (heated seats, steering wheels, mirrors; dimming rear-view mirrors; dual-zone climate control; automatic seats, windows, etc.)
so them they had to move on to "infotainment" by integrating your smartphone into a tablet in the dash, and now we're at "your key fob is now a smartphone."

I'm honestly thinking about buying a new car now so I can get one of the last ones made without all of this extra bullshit.

New cars every year was a mistake. Ford had it right - the original Model T lasted for almost 20 years before they created the next model. I'm not saying we need that, but every 3-5 years should be fine.

Mine does, but it also has aircon and electric windows as options so that shows how common keyless entry is these days.

youtu.be/f7IJWpkMwAE

In my opinion, your post is a complete degenerate of language.

mercades and bmw already charge $200+ to replace a key and thats not even adding the parts, plus you have to supply your personal info and go through a whole bunch of paper work just to get a replacement
now I'm wondering how they made this "thing" even a more complicated mess than IR keys we have now. why do germans keep over complicating things Veeky Forums why wont they just chill out

A base model FR-S or 86 (though the latter may have changed, dont know lol)

This.

Now they can't even pack any more safety crap so now the entire car has to be automated right down to even driving the damn thing

Can't wait till every car self drives and they run out of ideas apart from meaningless tech upgrade packs every year.

Who gives a fuck about in car entertainment if your bored while driving you should not have a license or drive a car period.

All this infotainment and screens everywhere are terribly distracting as well especially at night.

T. 26 year old techfag

I like technology keep it the fuck out of the drivers cabin thou

I believe this key is an option, you get whatever regular BMW keys look like. This just let's you see vitals about the car and if I remember correctly you can get out of the car and park it into a tight space by holding on the screen or something. The key is way to large for me.

limited smart keys are fine. putting an actual screen on the thing is stupid.

my ford fusion proximity fob has a single light on it that tells you if a remote start/remote stop request works. perfect.

a phone should be used if you're looking up EV charge status.

>Seems every new "innovation" is just more answers to questions that no one asked
proximity fobs are convenient because if you hit a button/touch sensitive region to open a door/trunk/hatch and the key is close to the car it does it automatically. wonderful in the winter, particularly since certain fob buttons are not that friendly.

with keyless entry/push button start, I can start enter my car in the winter and start the ignition without taking my gloves off.

>electronic hand brakes
smaller amount of space taken up vs. handbrake, automatic transmissions going to round dials if for same reason. Leaves more space for other controls.

this is actually really nice done right. modern cars have the CAN bus driving any analog needles anyways, so its a digital input to the needle. as long as it is done tastefully, it's essentially the same.

>touch screens
bit torn on this, mercedes has an okay implementation, the honda/acura one without touch fucking sucks. touch screens with a lot of real buttons for commonly used shit flanking them can be practical while allowing easy navigation of less used menus.

>tire sizes and suspensions
usually these are just options on the cars and not mandatory

the keyfobs for unlocking the car are similarly less secure and it's trivial to pick the car and steal the shit faking the transponder anyways. the physical key provides minimal extra security over the transponder's rolling code.

2017 4Runner here, still have a metal key.

Why does the BMW diesel sound like it's about to go roll coal and drive somewhere to fuck a relative?

If you can afford an i8, couldn't you just ask someone to make a good ol physical key or a dedicated fob for you?

user..new keys for BMWs are around $800 atleast and that's with employee pricing
t. Worked at BMW as a car painter

I remember this fucker. My 1990 E-Class had this exact style of key.

That key outlasted the car in its robustness. I probably still have that key in a dresser somewhere.

Keyless entry is actually nice when you have to drive other people around.

Electronic hand brakes are nice when you remove part of the center console to give more foot room, but nobody is doing this.

Massive center screens are pretty dumb when digital gauges exist, but nobody is really using digital gauges to their full potential. It'll probably be a decade until they work out something decent, compact, and unobtrusive.

Low pro tires are for them mpg restrictions.

This shit is absolutely dumb though. The key could easily be a third that size and do everything you actually want a key to do. If the key is that big, they might as well make it a cell phone. Seriously I had a flip phone that big once, and this key costs more than the phone I'm posting on. They should seriously unironically make the key into a flip phone that does text, calls, takes photos and videos, plays music, answers email, has a browser, and does nothing else. Maybe give it some voice commands to run smoother. You think I'm joking but its $800, $30 of which they need for the actual car key parts.

I thought that too once but its nice not having to take the key out of my pocket to start my car. Plus that way I can't lock the key in the car.

>tfw my Chevy key is 120$ and my Honda key is 160$

Meanwhile my old ass Ford truck is 2$ a key at walmart

This is true.

My mom bought a 2006 SLK a few months ago and recently decided to get a spare key for it. We learned the hard way that ONLY A MERCEDES DEALER can order and program their keys to their cars, as far back as 2006. And it cost over $300 for the one key.

I bought a 2015 Ford Fusion and got the proximity keys for less than $50 each on eBay brand new, programmed an additional two keys myself (manual describes) for $88 total.

FOBIK keys or really keys in general from luxury manufacturers are a scam

if you go non-luxury manufacturer, you can generally get a transponder key without remote done for $100 or less, and a transponder key with integrated buttons for $130 or less.

She's Tesla

Because its for poor ppl

All modern keys have a key in the key.
Just extract the old school key, throw the tech part away, live the life of a man in the 80´s and stop bitching about.

In most cars with proximity fobs, the "old school key" is to unlock the door and get access to the hood release non-destructively if the battery dies. It won't start the car.

Damn you are right, seems like he has to live the life of a 2017 dude.

>Run flat tyres can fuck right off as well.
what's wrong with those? Dunno shit about them, mind you

could be worse, Aston Martin charges $2500 for a new "Emotion Control Unit".

once we hit peak safety, car appearance will start to matter again.

And then it will become a contest to see who can make their cuckmobiles uglier and angrier.

We WILL reach a point where the lexus grille is the entire car, mark my words

>airbags and self driving wasn't enough, now the car has to have feelings

fucking liberals

Which is why in my car you can press the start button using a dead key and it'll start.

I hate this shit too. I just want mechanical shit and not another screen in my face, cunts. I think I'm just going to stick with pre-2005 cars from now on.

What car and how does that work?

>drop that thing
>the chinese microchip inside breaks
>lose access to your vehicle
>have to pay (((BMW))) a cool grand to have another one of those things made.

>degenerate

back to your cesspit you piece of shit

That shit is nice. When I made new keys for my truck I drove to Home Depot and made several for a couple dollars.

not your safespace, leftypol subhuman

By the time that happens we will have flying maglev cars so it will be moot anyways.

Imho last good looking cars where 2001

Its a mazda 3. I'm not certain exactly how it works, I think its just some rfid chip in the key. I think newer mazdas can all do that since they use the same key fob.

I've never actually met a lefty with a decent car. They always have some shitty base model filled with McDonald's and other soyboy food trash.

Is this even reliable? What would be an alternative if I broke it or something? What if it's stolen?

In my opinion, metal keys are a complete degenerate of cars. I want the new cars that still have the good old non-portable hand cranks.

>Ford still holds exclusive rights to keyless entry pin pads

brick phones last for years and years, why wouldn't a key?

>Can I use the undo button on the bottom to undo the mistake of buying the car?
That's a great line worth posting in the BMW user forums. Of course, the mods there might delete your post and ban your account. But at least a few people will have seen the post.

>What would be an alternative if I broke it or something?
You'll have to pay several hundred dollars to buy a new one. Then you have to pay the additional separate fee for the dealer to match up the key to your vehicle.

Keys have become Rube-Goldberg devices with features like what OP has listed. This key is so huge that women will have problems carrying car keys unless they have a secure place to put it. It's ridiculous to require women to always carry a separate belt pouch or purse when they could otherwise just walk out in the old days with keys in their pocket. But these huge keys will not fit in women's tiny pockets or tight pockets.

>What would be an alternative if I broke it or something?
>You think I'm joking but its $800

As other poster said, replacement is $800 for that key. So don't break it. Don't lose it. Don't let someone steal it. Or better yet, if you don't like someone, steal their key. It costs them $800 to replace it.

>keyless entry
Pressing a button or touching a sensor on the door handle is easier than pulling a key out of your pocket that you would otherwise never need to take out. In some cases, the doors will lock automatically after leaving without having to make any kind of active input whatsoever. At this point, the key fob is mostly used as a transmitter for the car to detect your presence. The next logical step will be to remove the key fob altogether, and use a smartphone app instead, like in the Tesla Model 3.

>electronic hand brakes
These can be useful, especially when paired with electronic shifters, as they can be programmed to automatically set and shift to Park when the car is shut off or exited. Tesla takes this one step further by not having an on/off button. Just stop your car in your desired parking spot and open the door. The car shifts to Park, and the car shuts down and locks when you leave.

Digital readouts are good when they're used to their full potential. Big, digital speed readouts are easier to read than fake analog needles. Big center screens can be used to mirror your phone and watch videos and movies on, which is great if you're like me and treat your car like it's your personal theater/sanctuary.

>even worse, touch screen
I'm open to any other kind of input method, but I find the touch screen to be easier to use compared to the secondary buttons to scroll through menu options.

>Big center screens can be used to mirror your phone and watch videos and movies on, which is great if you're like me and treat your car like it's your personal theater/sanctuary.

You shouldn't be driving

Why?

>>M Sport / S Line / ST Line / AMG "packages" that are nothing more than fancy bumpers and firmer suspension on normal cars

Careful now, (((they're))) watching! But seriously though, that's not true. Those are all performance packages that don't fuck about

This is ridiculous

Fit a carbie intake manifold and ignore engine light.

It depends on the implementation. Certain smart keys only use the battery for the fob buttons (lock/unlock/trunk/etc.) and use passive RFID with radios in the cabin to pick up the key for ignition purposes.

Others use the battery for both buttons and the radio of the key, and if the battery dies in these models then you usually have to put the key into a slot (where a radio reader is that's strong enough to read the RFID even when it isn't actively amplified by a battery in the key).

My Ford Fusion has the latter, if the keyfob battery dies (The car will warn you if the signal is weak and battery should be replaced) you unlock the car with the traditional key, then put the whole fob in a slot in the center console and the car will start.

Immobilizer tech made car thefts harder and less useful if someone wanted a new car to drive around. Instead, they just tow to part out the car. Maybe the next step is to create a tech approach to make carjacking less useful such as all new cars would come with remote disable technology similar to OnStar. Toyota and other car companies already have it built-in just like GM did with OnStar. But they require subscription fee payments. If the companies changed to have just the anti-theft feature for free for the first five years, that would make a difference in jackings.

The moment cars drive themselves is the moment the race to the bottom begins.

People will stop interacting with their vehicles, as all they will do while inside the car is use their phone. Cars become nothing more than people carriers. Therefore why would you spend money on a BMW when a Shangxhaoli (rebranded Falcon for the American market) can do the exact same for a tenth of the price?

The car becomes another home appliance. Brand doesn't matter, just buy the cheapest one.

The same way bowling alley use shit from the mid 90's running Windows 3.1, and it's all going strong still.

Car computers arent on a consumer level, shit is designed to last

>The moment cars drive themselves is the moment the race to the bottom begins.
Nah, I think some innovative people will consider it an adventure! When such cars become the norm, there will be an app service out there to compete against Uber (or might be evolved Uber itself). Basically, with apps installed, your auto driving car will stop along the way to your destination. It will pick up or drop off people who have flagged on their smartphone app they need a ride from point A to point B along with their fare offer.

Some car owners will probably set far away destinations and simply ride in their car and talk to new people they meet. Or you might never know but some people might even have special event cars where one has to set a destination from or to a certain place along with a unique fare offer. It's the story of O but on the road.

I can see it being helpful, but that is an ugly implementation.

>Plus that way I can't lock the key in the car.
Why do we keep sabotaging natural selection?Digital gauges can be nice though.

How?

>Why do we keep sabotaging natural selection?
Because of too many activists forcing or blackmailing politicians into creating laws to make it even easier to sabotage evolution. It's been a vicious cycle towards the bottom in performance.

Anyways, now we apparently need rear view cameras just to park without hitting someone. I miss those days of driving a 1980's car and being able to see very close to the rear bumper. I don't miss the lack of safety structures and handling though.

Shitbaru did it better, they had a 4 digit code system for keyless entry By lifting the handle in succession

new implementation looks better

thanks to airbags,it's the only way your mum could keep interest.

what a faggot,and of course it's a namefag

Do you have any counter arguments?