3000GT VR4

alright Veeky Forums, lets talk about the 3KGT VR4

looking at picking one up and i have 2 main questions.

1. keeping in mind that i will want to do some slight modifications (i.e. exhaust, suspension/brakes, etc), would it make sense to go for the 94-97 models which have all the cool goodies (ECS, active aero and exhaust), or should i set my sights on a 97+ model since ill be modifying the suspension anyway?
2. has anyone here driven one? whats it like on a day to day basis. this wont be a daily driver at all, but maintenance wise i know its a huge pain due to the cramped engine bay and all those electronics and shit.

97+ just has less stuff to go out. I'd say go all in and buy the pop up model since you already know what kind of hell you're gonna go through owning one.

R.i.p man those cars are beasts but love to break Shit. If I'm not mistaken they come with that god awful 4 wheel steering, no?

I hope you have your own garage with a lift, a lot of money and another car as a daily driver. 3000GT’s are notoriously unreliable money pits

this is the one car that i dont wanna get pop-ups on. looks like shit
yeah, all years have 4ws which makes alignments a bitch
main reason im thinking this is cause im getting a pretty sizeable reenlistment bonus, and can use the auto shop on base pretty cheaply. ill have another dd, and this would be a weekend car.

If it's a weekend car man Fuck it, get one, they're fun as hell to drive when they run. I'd compare it to a 300zx tt in the way they drive. Feels bulky but does exactly what you want it to do

>this is the one car that i dont wanna get pop-ups on. looks like shit

Then why the fuck did you bother making this thread?

I hope you have your own garage with a lift, a lot of money and another car as a daily driver. 3000GT’s are notoriously unreliable money pits

thats pretty much the consensus ive been getting from trawling the forums. a lot of people say the extra weight makes it pretty stable during spirited driving, which is interesting.
>Then why the fuck did you bother making this thread?
to talk about 94+ 3000GT VR4s.

|\|ani the fuck

I've driven a buddies with a built motor. It's fun...but I'd personally buy something else that's easier and cheaper to get power out of. Also it blew the motor on the track once and the second time it kept overheating

>but I'd personally buy something else that's easier and cheaper to get power out of
any recommendations? my budget is ~$20k. other things i was looking at was an 06+ s2000 or an mk3 supra. if i can find one, a clean fd3s is also something i would consider, but i doubt id get a good one for under 20k.

335i/135i lmao. Save left over money for repairs or mods. Only thing my n54 has needed over the past 2 years has been one coil pack

>this is the one car that i dont wanna get pop-ups on. looks like shit

U W0T M8

in all seriousness, make sure to get a good harness seatbelt, because one of the problems with the vr4s is the awd system completely locking all tires, and it only occurs at highway speeds. I don't know if there's particularly susceptible model years for that issue, but its one thing that mitsu literally plugged their ears about and went lalalala were not recalling shit, we make perfect infallable cars lalalala.

a clean 300ZX might be up your alley

Also
>20k budget
>Considering a mk3 Supra

Kill your are self

Can't go wrong with a S2000, although with 20k you can pretty much buy any mid grade used sports car.

are there any 'good' years for the 300zx? that is something else i was considering, but i prefer the looks of the 3KGT
?

94 and up 300zx are good. Again they have that 4 wheel steering Shit that always busts and they're are maintenance hogs as well but have timeless beauty and speed

if you like the looks of the 3kGT, definitely go for the Z32.
the later models are definitely better. there are a few minor issues with the 89-91 models, like valve springs I think.
and yeah I prefer the looks of the 3kGT. personally my favourite looking car of the 90's.

interesting. will add that to my list of cars to research.

also to whoever said the 335i/135i, they look good, but id rather not have 2 4dr cars, and the 135 is just ugly. too bad the e90 wagon didnt come with the n54.

335s came as coupes. Also im pretty sure 535i wagons came with n54s

>335s came as coupes.
i know, but if i got a 3 series it would be a 4 door or wagon. dont really like the look of the e92/93.