After the new year, I'm going to buy a small present for myself...

After the new year, I'm going to buy a small present for myself, a 2017 Accord coupe with a V6 and a manual transmission. Now these are supposedly decent cars from stock, but what are good things to replace to make it more sporty? I was thinking tires/brake pads/anti roll bars to start, and then maybe some shorter springs and stiffer shocks if need-be.

The car is used for a lot of miles, both on the highway and in the mountains.

Better tires, sway bars, and brake pads are said to wear faster but that might just be previous generations (8). Get all of those to make it feel less like a boat, so like what you were thinking

on the twisties my 2012 coupe does just fine no matter how hard I push it. Handling just feels floaty sometimes

>good things to replace to make it more sporty?
Don’t bother, they’re fast but they handle like a boat due to weight. Buy a used FRS or something instead and use the money you saved to buy a supercharger or turbo kit

They're only 3300 lbs. A Camaro is way more than that

>fwd

>A Camaro
I never mentioned redneck trash, the camaro is even heavier dogshit than the accord. Honestly if you’re set in the accord then I recommend coil overs and a cold air intake, not much else you can do because the 3.5 v6 takes up a lot of space under the hood. Not a bad car by any means, just not an enthusiast hoon machine. Pic related is me mum’s 2010, fucker can move just when it comes to corners there is a ton of body roll

Accords are fantastic cars and will last you a very long time as a daily driver

Would a v6 accord coupe be any more fun than your usual normie sedan or is it just a faster-than-normal grocery getter?

It's a bit awkward. It's kind of like a compromised Lexus gs. It is more fun than the normal sedan with a v6, but remember that the accord is still a "normie sedan". For better handling at the same price and a similar quality interior I've heard the mazda3 is better, but I've never driven one. If you want luxury and handling for sure you have to get a more expensive car. If you want speed for the same price, you have to sacrifice backspace or the interior.

You could use money to stiffen the suspension but at that point why not save up and get something that handles better with the interior you want to begin with? Modding isn't necessarily a bad thing, but somehow I don't think this is a great base to use. Maybe a civic si is more up your alley?

Actually, wait. Are you trying to race the thing or just overtake people during commutes? If it's the latter then the accord is definitely good enough. Get the right tires, stiffen the anti-roll bars, and get different bushings of your choice.

I'd like something bigger than a Civic. It's less a matter of luxury and more a matter of being a nice balance of features, space, power, and driving characteristics.
For the price range I was between that Accord and something like a G37/Q50, though I'd assume the Infinitis are higher maintenance and not as reliable.
Mazdas look pretty nice but underpowered. I was considering next year's Mazda 6 because the turbo-4 seems alright, but I've heard it's a problematic engine.

used audis have been pretty affordable lately, too

now i know ur license plates. I will be hacking u shortly ;^)

I'm trying to avoid German cars because I fell for the maintenance and planned obsolescence meme.
The only exception might be like a 2013-2015 BMW 335i because BMWs and their shops are really common in my part of town.

The infiniti will be better in every regard and will respond to mods better.
Also rwd, older ones came in manual, and infiniti has great reliability

Any honda will potentially be cheaper maintenance than a sport luxury car, but in the end itll just be a fwd honda grocery getter

Accord coupes are nice cars. I think one of the writers/editors for Car and Driver has one he autocrosses with a few upgrades (tires, suspension, exhaust, intake). It’s a reliable car too which makes things even better.

One car to consider is maybe a used 2015-2016 or new 2017 Dodge Challenger R/T. The Tremec 6 speed manual paired with the 5.7 L V8 is a very fun combo as the 5.7 has a good amount of torque (410 lb-ft). It’s a comfy car with a nice amount of interior space. Try to get one with the Super Track Pack which nets you upgraded suspension, tires, and brakes. R/T models equipped with manuals already cone stock with a limited slip diff. Charger is essentially the same with exception of no manual option, four doors, and no lsd unless you get a model with the 6.4 L V8

As long as you avoid the V6 models, you shouldn’t have any serious reliability issues. Most of dodge’s bad reputation comes from their crappy Fiat-based cars like the dart, avenger (pre-bailout car), and journey (pre-bailout car). The 5.7 L V8 has been around since 2003 and is very reliable.

Also, the LX platform the challenger rides on and the 5.7 L V8 have huge aftermarkets. You can put on pieces from the SRT models like brakes and suspension. Plus you can put parts from the 6.4 onto the 5.7 like camshafts and intake manifolds. Dodge also makes warrentied stage kits for the 5.7 that boost it to over 400 hp naturally aspirated

It's kinda sad that you won't be able to get a V6 honda with manual soon.

The boring cars win I guess.

If all you want is a "midrange size" car that goes fast and is Japanese then all o can think of is a Lexus gs or one of the infinity brand, but I've never driven an infinity car so I can't tell you if an accord/camry is basically the same thing or not. In the end you'll have to try them out yourself. But since it sounds like you aren't trying to race/rally with it if you can't manage to try all of them an accord is fine.

If you really hate yourself and want to be "sporty" I'm sure you can get a great price on a V6 Acura TLX.

if you want a sporty v6 coupe why not just pick up a used 370z?