How do you convince your parents to let you buy a 30 year old car...

How do you convince your parents to let you buy a 30 year old car? They're concerned that it's both unsafe and unreliable due to it's age, despite the fact that it's in great condition. Asking for a friend.

Other urls found in this thread:

maine.craigslist.org/cto/d/pontiac-fiero/6399266267.html
albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/1984-pontiac-fiero-2m4/6413864106.html
nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/1984-fiero/6416843525.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They're right though.
Those cars were good for people on Veeky Forums that are pushing 30 now.

What I'm saying is, most people have a used car as their first. The one in question is very cheap and was well maintained by its owner. It seems like a great choice.

Get a reliable car and your shit together first.
When you can afford a second car for fun you likely won't need your parent's permission.

Now git out.

Why not just buy a 10-20 year old car?

Show them Initial D idiot, then they'll have no choice but to let you.

Literally get a 3k civic.

You can get a mid-2000s civic easily and I'm sure it's a much better starter car. Much easier and cheaper to maintain. In order to take care of a car like that you need money, knowledge, and time but with a civic all you need are a couple wrenches and new oil and a filter every few months.

Because there aren't any cool ones 30 minutes from my university.

Well by then I'm gonna want something better, right? And besides, by the time that happens, these cars are gonna be even more uncommon and even less likely to be well maintained. Am I a fool for not wanting to pass this opportunity up?

a lot of them are more reliable than todays cars desu. if they really wont budge on them being unsafe, maybe look for an old landcruiser or nissan patrol. good luck dying in that

I guess they're paying for it.

Parents are right. They aren't idiots like teenagers on Veeky Forums. It's a free car, don't get a retarded piece of shit. Get your parents to buy you a modern car like a Ford Focus.

They do, but they dont get a classic aged car as their first car, its retarded. Those cars need a lot of work.
yeah, back in 2006 it didnt take much to get a 1989 car running. Now that car is old as fuck, it was ten years ago.
Get a car from 2000.
A car from then is as old as the 1989 car was when I first got it.

Nigga you retarded. For the price of a clean one you could get something decent. If you're a student on something other than a meme degree, wrenching in your little spare time is a dumb time sink.

the metal frames are safer than the current lighter material frames which are used because of new mpg regulations

Goddammit I don't want you guys to be right, but the more I think about it, the more I realize you are. I just don't want to be driving around in something I'm not proud of. But beggars can't be choosers I guess. Maybe one day I'll be able to get a cool 80's car.

30 year old cars are unsafe. They don't have most modern safety features, and young drivers are just horrible drivers to begin with. They want to protect their kids. When your friend is older and a bit wiser, he can nig out on any car he wants. Just take what the parents get him.

>needing permission from your parents to purchase something

fuck off underage

It does suck but when you get your first car you'll quickly come to realise how much shittier it would have been to get a 30 year old car

grow the fuck up

Cars from the 80/90 are unsafe, theres no way around that. They're also unreliable just due to their age, but theyre also really cheap and easy to fix so theres that. If youre parents are buying it just get a civic or a mazda 3 or something, then get a job and buy a shitbox that you can fuck around in.

>Am I a fool for not wanting to pass this opportunity up?
No.
But you're probably going to wreck your first car.
Also, a lot of people want better cars before they even get good at driving their shitty cars.
You can spend $$$$$ on getting a faster car that handles good, but the root of the problem is not being able to drive fast and handle your car well.
Once you can drive past 70mph in a straight line consistently and for extended periods of time, under various conditions, and you can take all of your local corners on the limit of grip, and know how to break the limit of grip and control it, all consistently, like you can take that one corner 40 times on the limit of grip, perfectly every time then maybe you'd possibly earn a better car.

OP get something like an 05 Sentra SE-R

But also if you've made your car faster yourself then maybe you earned that faster car, as well.

>How do you convince your parents to let you buy a 30 year old car?
Learn about your parents, learn about how to convince people, apply your knowledge on convincing them.
Maybe learn and develop skill relating to convincing people, first.

>concerned that it's both unsafe and unreliable due to it's age

They aren't wrong.

>espite the fact that it's in great condition

which is great, but they have a point in crash safety and such

>Asking for a friend.

I mean, it'll be easy to fix due to its age, but you might run into problems finding parts for it.

But this is Veeky Forums. Driving is our hobby, and having a new economy car makes no sense when you could be driving a cool car to work every day, giving you a feeling a exhilaration every time you start it.

Remind your dad that he wanted cool cars when he was your age and to not listen to your mother who killed his dreams.

I second this as an owner of one.

Great car. But it has a harsh dagumi tax on it.

M8, as someone who had an old late 80s/early 90s Nipbox and then got a car from the early 2000s, just get something slightly sporty. Dad bought me an Inteagra after my RX7 got totaled out, and while I much prefer the RX, the teggy ain't too bad. Look into those or RSXs if you really need to get something newer that's still sporty.
>Good luck getting anything modern-ish that's RWD and fairly cheap/good condition though.

Want something fun?

Just aim for a manual 4 cyl car.

Any opinion on the last two gens of the Celica? I know they're fwd, which is a bit iffy.

Non type s/r dc5s are a joke though, they have a shitty base model civic engine although they are a lot safer and more modern than the dc2
I wouldn't trade my dc2 for anything except a jdm type r though, its such a good car

Im guessing youre stateside so id definitely suggest the 2zzge last gen celica, things a beast for not too much money

I mean... your parents are right.

AE86:
No airbags
No crumble zones
No side impact protect
No rollover protect
Paper thin body panels
No traction control
No ABS

Also any 30yo car (no matter how much of a reputation for reliability it has) is going to be a project car.

To be fair this thing (along with sportsbikes) is a parents worst nightmare. You spend all this time and money to ensure the survival and well being of this child you have raised since birth that you love very much. And that child then asks you for a death trap. Of course you say no.

Even if your kid promises they will drive it safely and be responsible, you know they really wont be. Especially if your kid is a male. There is a reason teen/young adult males are so expensive to insure. Its because they get into accidents so much. That age range is the I have something to prove to myself I wanna push the limit oh no I pushed too hard and lost control age range.

Funnily enough, I didn't even ask, yet my dad bought be this 30 yr old land yacht, although, based on pic related, it's obvious you want a nip shit box. The difference between this and the old caddy is that in the 80s, parts for the nip box had to be imported form Japan, making them harder to obtain, while the parts for the caddy where made here in the US, it also makes the car parts more expensive

The last gen celica GTS (specifically the gts) is apparently good

honestly focus on this and everything will be ok
my friend started on a shitty manual hyundai accent, and now that hes a manager at his work, he has enough to afford a car he really wanted (the gt86) and he can actually drive it and drive it well

This is a solid choice. but understeer is one hell of a thing on this car

Honestly i wanted a 3rd gen supra for my first car, and of course naturally my parents said no.
This was in 2009 when the car was 20 years old

your parents are correct. 30 year old cars are better left to people with more experience. they rarely have airbags or other safety features.

Very well said

Get something that won't kill you until you have a job and are making decent money without help from mommy.

By that time, you will know your skills and limits as a driver. Then you buy your 30 year old shit box, while keeping your other vehicle as a backup. Because your 30 year old car WILL have problems.

This is exactly what I did with my life.
I'll be taking my pickup to work tomorrow because my 32 year old car's CV axel started making alot of noise last friday.

And you had to buy parts 9x as often as for a "nip" box. Why are GM owners so fucking easily butthurt?

Wasn't being butthurt or anything, just stating its easier to get parts for a 30 yr old caddy than a 30 yr old nip box

Just do it lamo

Tell them there is a huge aftermarket so that repairs will be nothing
They have reliability and it’s super easy to relate so it will teach you cars

Shit like that

don't buy something weird for your first car

#1 priority is being able to consistently get to the job you're using to pay for this shit

get a manual shitbox civic that's newer, manual is fun enough by itself for commuting

once you have enough saved and a stable car to fall back on buy whatever weird shit you want

having a "unique" first car doesn't mean shit

>its easier to get parts for a 30 yr old caddy than a 30 yr old nip box

this is objectively false just based on the premise of numerical ownership. more people owned nip cars than caddys therefor the parts would be more plentiful

Everything there is workable except for ABS. I rely on ABS for ULTRA SUPER LATE BRAKING to pass other miats on the track.

not to mention how many parts are shared between japanese cars

hondas generally share parts across nearly the entire lineup for whatever year you have

actually, you could try and convince them to let you get a fiero.

excellent crash safety ratings (for 84 lol) and the iron duke engine with the manual tranny is a great commuter car and can get 30-50 mpgs . its the fastest looking American commuter car of the 80s. and you can also drop a 3800SC and Isuzu tranny in later if you wrench on it regardless of wether its an i4 or v6

parts aren't too hard to find and a manual i4 is also one of the easiest manuals to learn due to the low end torks and gearing ratios.

plus if you don't like how it looks, you can make it look like a countach later with a kit.

just don't rev the piss out of the iron duke, it will blow/catch on fire.

if it is your money, then buy it

if its your parents money, then dont.

pretty e-z mane

all comes down to this really user, gotta be your own person sometimes

They're right. Dumb idea. Very few cars have cheap parts once they get that old.

Focus on finding a manual commuter box from 10 years ago. Make sure it's clean and in good condition. Once you grow out of having your parents buy you things, you can buy whatever car you want.

also, you can get an i4 for under 3 grand

maine.craigslist.org/cto/d/pontiac-fiero/6399266267.html

albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/1984-pontiac-fiero-2m4/6413864106.html

nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/1984-fiero/6416843525.html

A Miata is is quicker around a track than an 86, it corners harder too.

Don't worry user. My dad got me a pigfat, albeit very nice, Audi A4 with an 1.8L at over 3500ibs. Shit is slow as hell, guzzlers gas and can easily be beaten at any drag. However I got a job, saved my money and when opportunity hit, got myself a clean SC AW11 for under 2k. Now I have a nice car to daily and a meme car to race up the 峠 on the weekends

Tfw bought an 80's Audi and it died few days after buying

You won't wreck your first car.

You wreck your first NICE car, which is probably your second or third, because you get overconfident in something you aren't familiar with. The history books are full of 3k civic dagumis who bought their first miata and promptly spun out into a light post because they were left foot braking, handbrake skidding madmen

The worst feeling is when you realize that your dream shitbox is eating into your life negatively, and the whole process of selling it is worse than breaking up with your dream girl. You don't want that right now. Get your life sorted first before adding complexity. You can have enough fun in a newer car without the feelings of guilt for beating on it, neglecting it, or having to use it as a daily. I went through this shit with an AE86 for the same reasons as you. Thought I'd suffer through it with a low income and manage to keep it forever unlike all the other owners in over their head, but even if it's not a money sink because you do your own repairs, it's a time sink that you probably can't spare every weekend.

At this point, 30 year old plastics are becoming brittle and will fail on you at the least. Shit sucks when a plastic connector on an electrical part breaks randomly on a drive and your car doesn't start back up. Then you have to somehow source that part, probably on a forum's classifieds page, and wait a week or more to get it. So you better have a second car if you have a job or need to get to school. Get that second car first, then fuck around with your 30 year old project, which you should always consider a 30 year old car now.