>manager smiles at me and begins to read my review
>nothing special
>suddnely
>Low meets expectations : punctuality
>comments say one sentence
>"shows up on time"
>manager smiles at me and says to improve i need to start showing up early
>shows me my pay has been increased by 47c /hr for merit
>"oh and remember not to discuss any of your raise of bonuses with you coworkers. it's company policy and could eventually lead to termination"
>smiles again
>tell her I will be right back
>go grab the workers rights paper from the break room
>print out state statutes
>come back
>"here is the law saying I have the right to discuss wages with my coworkers and any policy against that is illegal"
>"here is the law saying that if you want me to arrive early you need to pay me"
>"HERE IS THE FUCKING COMPANY POLICY GUIDE THAT SAYS YOU CANT TELL ME NOT TO DISCUSS WAGES"

Can you believe this shit ?

Why are big corporations so fucked?

Why does no one know their workers rights?

Did I do the right thing?

Also want to say she refused to change my punctuality score.

Go to HR

Threaten with lawsuit

agreed.

I'm only a legalbabby when the company is fucking the employees.

Seems like the wanna fuck you, so fuck them back.

If contract you to do not talk about something, you comply

other thing that wasn't on the contract

rights comes from contracts, not from supreme dignity

Are you retarded? You can't just put anything you want in a contract.

In case you didn't notice we don't live in a Libertarian fantasy land.

Way to sperg out. I'm sure you're on the fast track.

You should have recorded her

You were talking to a woman. News flash. She probably has no idea about shit. All the women i work with are straight up mouthbreathers and are there because my managers are old desperate fucks or "diversity". Men aren't always superior just most of the time

Sounds like you don't get paid that much anyway so go ahead and cause a stink.

Is it hard to smile and nod and then ignore?

This. If your superior is a woman you should go get another job.

this
some people just never learn go with the flow, least resistance don't make problems unless you enjoy the fallout.

You are right. If she tries to retaliate against you, sue the company for all they're worth. File a complaint with the labor commissioner and OSHA.

Why are you cucks for management?

Talking with my co-workers about pay is great.

We found out that the worker who had been there for 3 years and was in the long process of be promoted made 20% less than me and the other new hire.

Was hilarious. Got her a raise and a permanent ally now that she is in management herself.

Why would you fucking rub it in their face? Are you autistic?

I was protecting the firm from potential liability and asserting my workers rights.

What would you have done oh great social guru?

what a dumb bitch.

I love it when people actually stand up for themselves and invoke their rights.

So many cucks stand idly by and get stepped on like doormats.

The proper response was to do what you were allowed to do until your boss tried to punish you for it then go to her boss and wreck her day. Not letting management know what you know is key and you just laid all your cards on the table.

You dun goofed.

They asked him to work more hours without getting paid for them, and explicitly told him not to discuss pay with other employees.

The employer fucked up here.

If OP wants to he can contact the labor department or a lawyer and form a winning case.

> office jobs

And sue for what exactly?

>get fired for substandard performance next review

2-4 weeks before she finds a reason to fire you. time to start looking for a new job.

I think unfair practices, lost wages, or something like that. Just ask a lawyer. They get off on this shit.

>Why are you cucks for management?
it's not that, but people that get all worked up over someone trying to push them one way or an other instead of just flat out ignoring it are fucking annoying.
>Talking with my co-workers about pay is great.
it really only breeds envy and animosity.
>We found out that the worker who had been there for 3 years and was in the long process of be promoted made 20% less than me and the other new hire.
i never understood the entire wage determination process. seems to me the people who push get what they want the people who don't get fucked it has nothing to do with merit or deserving.

Most pay should be standardized.

Any sort of "Merit" pay raise system inevitably leads to seniority being devalued.

but seniority doesn't mean shit. i want to make more than a random faggot who can't do third of what i an do but has been sitting on his ass for 10 years in the same position.

My company pulls the same shit.

>It is against company policy to discuss wages

Meanwhile I know what everyone else is on who is on a similar tier to me, and have a pretty good idea for most of the higher ups.

In my opinion policies which discourage employees to discuss their pay rate are indicative of a company that is trying to fuck its staff.

They are also illegal anywhere in the united states.

Things that happened

If I didnt work at a security obsessed company (bank) I would post proof.

This is in Australia. I do not know whether it is legal or not.

I would wager it is illegal for us to be reprimanded if we discuss it outside of work hours.

Main thing I think is the company owner is trying to avoid having to pay travel allowances to his casual employees. An average day involves ~2 hours of driving, which at award rates adds up to like an $80 daily travel allowance for each of the casuals.

It is a major sore point with the staff. No one wants to have to take legal action though. Most just quit within a year.

This

>needing state and federal employment statutes
Just end it, user; it's already too late for you

this.

its easier to take what you know and manipulate the system into giving you what you want.

work within their framework - for great victory

in Australia, it is illegal to discuss your pay if it is a part of your employment contract.

your union does not protect you from breaking a contract, unless its contradictory to the FWA Act, an EBA or Award. Simples.

Starting shit like OP gets you nowhere. HR, pending on how much an individual is valued, manage you out of the business,

Managed a great number of individuals out of businesses in my time. AND protected the rights of those that were being fucked over too.

You fucked up OP. You should have done what this user said to do. Now you will be fired for a bullshit reason because they know that you know your rights.

Pretty much this. People like the boss you described will just get defensive. Better to ask for forgiveness than permission is really the key to getting around management bullshit.

Clock in early as asked, get called in by management, simply state you're clocked in because your manager asked you to show up earlier for work and you're following her requests. They say you shouldn't clock in early, just be like, "Aight, I'll start work at the regular time then." If she insists that you still work while not clocked in, I'm sure you could pull even just the company policy bullshit on her. Any decent company probably has in writing that employees are only supposed to work when clocked in - or something similar - since this is a legal issue.

Discuss your wage with your coworkers. Get caught - all's cool. Ask for the company policy she thinks stops you from doing so. Oh wow, it's not there and she's even in the wrong. Lead the discussion to whether there are any legal protections for this - since you didn't sign an NDA (I assume) plus 1st Amendment, bitches. Oh look, there's a law that protects you.

It most likely will take a while before you're caught in either. And by then, you could have probably already got a new job lined up to get away from your bitchface manager.

But now you're probably on her list. Good luck.

Good Job OP. We need more people like this. I'm as a constant state of battle at my company. They fuck people over on a regular basis because they get away with it all the time.

More people need to stand up, unions used to be great for this but have unfortunately lost their way. Just a unified workforce in general would be very hard to stop. I think it will be another 25 years before we see relevant labor reforms.

As all things in the constitution and its amends, 1st Amendment rights refer only to the relationship between the government and citizens, not employees and employers. Otherwise we would have 2nd Amendment rights exercised in all workplaces! Please at least try to know what you're talking about before you talk about something outside your wheelhouse.

op might have a fair labor standards act claim
but he should talk to a lawyer who practices employment law instead of running his mouth about his legal disputes on a chinese cartoon forum's bitcoin speculation board

people like you trigger me to no end

Enjoy your life of mediocrity coward. Fucking follower.

Let me guess, you're about 25? Seniority does matter. It's called institutional knowledge. If your place has such rapid turnover that nobody stays more than a couple of years, all you do is repeat the same mistakes over and over and over.

Unless he recorded the conversation or actually worked non-paid hours the best he's going to get is some corrective training for management. They'll probably take a week off to attend a workshop in some exotic location where corporate lawyers guide them through company policies and appraise them of all the legal ways to fuck their employees. Once they return OP will be flayed alive and his corpse will be strung up in the entryway for all other associates as a reminder of what happens when you step out of line.

> most people just quit

I see this in the USA frequently. An employer that knowingly breaks rules and mistreats staff, so the company is just a revolving door, yet no one ever contacts the DOL and no one ever contacts a lawyer.

Well someone needs to blow the whistle, that's how people like this see justice.

I own a business and have never treated an employee unethically or illegally. The employers that do so are scum and should be punished.

>wage

well theres your problem

no i'm 37 and i have no idea what you are talking about. we only have rapid turnover on the junior positions where your argument don't really apply anyhow.

pay should be based on ability and motivation and results. but that's not what determines wages in reality. in reality what determines wages is what you could negotiate for somewhere else, how willing you are to negotiate hard for yourself and how much you let the company screw you over.