/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Meme edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

but wheres the update

First for fuck herne

You probably get this a lot, but is there a major feature list for the last couple of years anywhere? I haven't played since 2015, and would be keen to have a top level overview if one exists anywhere!

HE-MAN WILL WIN
CHECK EM

soon

>need to train my blacksmith
>buttloads of garnierite lying around
>try to find some use for nickel other than caravan ballast
>decide to make my fort less drafty and finally install some doors
>this is the result
Nickel blocks it is then.

This thread is too young to die.

Nothing is too young

It's never too late to give up on your dreams.

i see this every thread

Taverns, libraries, temples. New personality system and AI upgrades. Procedurally generated music, poetry, and dance forms. Procedurally generated musical instruments. Sites can be built and claimed in adventure mode. That is all the important stuff.

Reminder that the game in it's current version is the best it has ever been, that the procedural world generation aspect is the game's main selling point and is a valuable use of toady's time, and that the percieved quality of the old versions is mostly nostalgia for the buggy, unintentional, and imcomplete game mechanics, which would be the main source of complaints of the game today had they persisted to the present.

You are mostly correct. The only disadvantages the current version has over the versions before DF2014 is the lack of difficulty of some invaders and little negative consequences of unhappy dwarves.

What's that? Diplomat just arrived?

>Naptime!

Yeah, it's almost impossible to make them go insane. My arena is, therefore, relegated to forgotten beasts and dragons, plus the occasional failed mood.

Is there any dfhack script that lets you see you see the sewer network in a city? It must be stored somewhere. It's clearly not generated on the fly like caverns.

>why yes, I do think I know better than Toady what's best for DF
>why yes, I do watch in horror as I see Toady destroy DF
>why yes, I would prefer for DF to be a simple tower defense game, rather than a fantasy world simulator

(Previous: )
I need to get a scanner..

forgot:
>I love DF more than anyone else (including Toady), that's why my opinion on the future of DF matters more than that of anyone else
>did I mention that I'm an oldfag? so I KNOW that DF is going downhill

I have admired a fine +drawing+. I am very satisfied.

>The only disadvantages the current version has over the versions before DF2014 is
>[forgets the current version having the worst FPS drops of any stable release so far]
I don't think you're being honest

Tbh I'm almost more excited for what kind of gladiators we'll get in the next tourney than what the outcome for this one will be. I can't even decide on of my current fighter ideas would be the best.

/dfg/ is knocked over!
The Archive attacks /dfg/ but he scrambles away!
/dfg/ stands up.

/dfg/ gives in to the pain.

>possessed blacksmith has claimed a magma forge

Tourney when?

hopefully never again

what should I do with my gorlaks? nice things, not painful things

dorfy things, like torturing them to death

>nice things
what are you, an elv?

that is clearly not dorfy, it is goblish and koboldic.

torture is only okay if you do it for fun.

otherwise, it's barbaric.

stonesense pls I bet it's idyllic

to be fair, it would technically be unthinkable that you would torture someone as an example in the sense that it literally would never occur to you given that you and they both know you're just going to torture the rest for fun at some point anyway.

⁄⁄⁄⁄///⁄⁄⁄⁄///⁄⁄⁄⁄///⁄⁄⁄⁄///⁄⁄⁄⁄///⁄⁄⁄⁄///⁄⁄⁄⁄

>dwarven foot traffic actually beats down the grass and creates natural paths
goddamn, that is some autism technology
inb4 pointed judgement of my fortyard.

really digging this one, dots

top doggo

That's nothing, my dorfs turned a diorite bridge into an olivine one.

does it clean itself when you raise it?

>Solon Toliszaneg, Blacksmith has created Mersethasob, a bronze grate!

Fucking fey moods. I can build a happy functional fortress that never runs out of food and produces enough riches to trade for glorious things, but I still can't give my possessed dorfs what they want.

>What do you mean, you still want wood? This is a forest biome; there's so much wood I can't store it all indoors.
>Stone blocks? I have 4 different types of stone made into blocks!
>You piece of shit, I have so much leather! Just take some! Take some!
>No, not the Adamantine thread!

Dunno, I already deconstructed it. I'll check it with the new one once the risk of accidentally starting a dwarven space program will be a bit smaller.

Jesus, did you have literally every dwarf outside when a siege occurred?

that's buildup from three or so sieges, and my cavern entrance is across the valley so I don't have rampaging trolls and shit in my fortress. also much of that is goblin parts rather than residents

for when my dorfs run out of bolts and start bashing with their crossbows, steel crossbows will do more damage than wood or bone ones, right?

Reminder that procedural world generation is a waste of computation and dev labor when all it produces is thousands of dull near-identical books that don't do anything and teeming hordes of npcs whose history consists of moving somewhere and becoming a milker

For blunt weapons, pretty much all materials are just about the same. Silver is the best but not by much, copper is surprisingly #2.

What? I thought weight was a major factor in blunt weapons.
>sitting on heaps of silver I assumed was useless
Time to rev up those forges. Does material have any effect on damage dealt when firing bolts, or does that rely strictly on the bolt itself?

just go back to whatevertower defense game you came from.

among thousand of generic colony management games, DF is the only one of its kind. why people want to change DF instead of just moving on to another game (which clearly are superior, according to their own logic) is beyond me.

>the vast majority of pleabian peasants lead boring lives
>heroic deeds are rare and thus heroic
How is this bad.

Also, reminder that Toady will not be able to combine Dwarf Fortresses moving parts into a reasonable simulation because he gets bored with what he's working on and abandons it to work on something else.

If the vast majority of characters are literally whos why aren't they folded into the abstracted site population so you can have the actual named npcs be more likely to have things happen to them

But I'm pretty sure everyone is a named npc with the potential for greatness thanks to rng.

He already has. Fort mode and adventure mode are as unified as they could get

>hate everything about DF
>hate Toady's fantasy world simulator vision
>still play it
what did he mean byt this?

There's very little in the form of context. You will probably never find about those heroic deeds because they are buried in descriptions of cheesemakers getting their ears cut by dingos.
This is especially bad when it comes to names. Every time the outpost liaison comes he just dumps half a dozen names on me and all of them sound like the same shit. What IS Riversclothed? Why not display "the capital Riversclothed"? Why not let me see the nearby dwarven cities in the currently barren world/civs menu so I can at least pretend to memorize them? Why is legends mode so bad and why can't I open it without duping my save?

>why can't I open it without duping my save
you can, with dfhack

Kinda late to the party, ain't we?

>tfw still no mod that makes elves turn into logs on death

Honestly, I'm not really sure what to do with this faggot. I'd love to introduce that filthy tree fucker to my hammer lords, cut down all the trees, wreck their army and decorate chambers with chained naked elven maidens, but I'm a major slut for giant animals and good Lord, this is the most boring savage jungle I've ever seen.

How do you have so many wild animals? I never have more than like, 6, even in untamed wilds

post current fort

Pretty sure you can xml dump the world from legends and then use a utility like legends viewer to make finding stuff/the relations of things a breeze

As for the for the world gen stuff currently being boring, let's not forget that Toady has yet to implement a lot of planned roles for npcs.

6x6 embark.
When I embarked there were like 60 animals - elephants, giant tiger, giant alligators, giant hippos and more. Then they all fucked off before I could set up traps and never came back.

Planned roles?

Do you mean 43.05? This is the first version in a long time that has caused an FPS increase for me. I suppose it is because of the 64 bit stuff.

Welcome back, my dear friends, to the semi-finals of the Third Dwarf Fortress General Tournament! Our last four remaining warriors have bested all who stood before them to reach their hard-earned place in the penultimate round of our illustrious blood rite. Despite this, only the final two survivors shall proceed, to be matched with each other in the Grand Finale. Be it Man, Dwarf, or Beastman, we shall know of our finalists before the moon has waned, and which of our champions shall perish, to be revived in the Battle Royale.
He-Man, Urist Dye-Maker, Hercule, and Herne. All master fighters, all expert warriors, and all shall kill or be killed tonight, all for your delights, and for Armok's red smile. Let the tourney...

Begin.

Being rather combat light this evening, I hereby ask whether any of our finalist's managers would like to step up, perhaps answer some questions regarding their choice of gladiator, their hopes and goals, or perhaps merely for some good old trash talk.
Seat yourself well and make yourself at ease, my friends. Soon enough, we shall have our two fights, and the blood we so desperately crave.

Oh god my heart skipped a beat what the fuck

Oh boy.

I'm Urists manager, I'll answer questions etc

how often are you supposed to water basil plants? i'm just kind of watering it whenever I remember to

It depends. How good is the drainage of your soil?

Alrighty, let's hear it then.
>Why did you choose to manage Urist Dye-Maker (why you chose such-and-skill/item)?
>What were your hopes coming into the tourney?
>Have you anything you'd like to say to He-Man and his Manager?

i'll be honest I have no idea, how am I supposed to measure that?

I will also answer questions, accept abuse, etc.

What exactly is Urist going to do after the tourney? He doesn't seem like the type to go to disney world

Seeing as his application to the tournament was the result of a failed strange mood, what's next in stores for Urist assuming he doesn't get eviscerated in the coming rounds?

Alternatively, what's his stance on the legalization of beastman marriage?

Did you actually test the adamantine cloak on the arena or did you just choose it based on the previous performance of other fighters with it in the other tournaments?

How many simulations have you ran to procure certain victory?

ok so i've been trying to do a volcano embark for so long. Every time I embark for the volcano I literally see no volcano. What am I doing wrong?

Did you get the idea of adamantine capes specifically from the warning that they would shit up the tournament, or were you already thinking about it and that was just the thing that convinced you?

Oh is this what we're doing now?

are you gonna beat me?

>I chose Urist originally intending to make him an armor user, but he proved too adept at dodging so I believed it to be a waste. I think the two handed sword was a good choice, however, if I could go back I would've definitely picked a hammer instead.

>I was hoping to make a decent showing, and at least have some entertaining and/or brutal fights. I think that was achieved.

>I wish He-Man the best, if he wins our fight I hope he wins the finals

After you water it, dip your finger in it a while later and see if it's still very wet.

Hopefully this will prove therapeutic for him, and he regains his sanity.

He has no opinion, as far as I can tell. The only thing we can get out of him is (autistic screeching) and writing on the walls in his own shit.

None, I'm just eyeballing my opponents.

Nice
>Where did you find this spooky elk-man and why did you choose to manage him?
>What were you hoping to achieve in this tourney?
>Are you feeling confident in your matchup versus Hercules?

The previous tournament is what gave me the idea. I did try it out to see if it actually worked.

Probably. Maces are bad weapons, especially against large creatures, and bronze isn't a particularly good material for them to boot.

Also answering questions since everyone else seems to be doing so and i want to be like the cool hip kids.

Mr Manager! Over here!
>How does Hercule feel about his steady increase in popularity?
>What did he desire to accomplish in this tourney? Is there more?
>Any comment on the nature of the allegations Hercule faces back in his home-country for a supposed murder?

>maces are bad weapons

Famous last words.

1/2

>>How does Hercule feel about his steady increase in popularity?
Popularity is ephemeral compared to his goal.
>>What did he desire to accomplish in this tourney? Is there more?
Hercule has been set many tasks to complete in order to wash away the shame of some minor crime back home. This is one of them.
>>Any comment on the nature of the allegations Hercule faces back in his home-country for a supposed murder?
No comment.

Just a few questions good sir!
>How did He-Man feel after the death of his rival Skeletor?
>What are He-Man's goals for the tourney?
>Anything in particular you'd like to say to your opponent and his manager?

2/2
Where is the volcano? I just wanted to do a volcano embark

Herne's based on English folklore. All I did was change him from a spooky dude wearing antlers to a spooky did with antlers.

I wasn't expecting to beat Purple Fist, but now that Herne's come this far I intend to win.

Yes.

You've backed yourself into a position where you are the only remaining manager that is playing "to win" rather than for show, seen by everyone else's refusal to use adamantine.
Is this what you initially wanted? Would you have done anything differently?

Urist and He-man are both using adamantine as well.

Talented Dodger

>Giantess Caged Guest

>Is the power of grayskull an actual thing?
>What are your plans for the future now that your arch nemesis is dead if you emerge victor of the tournament?
>Are the rumors surrounding your sexual orientation true?
>What is your stance on the legalization of beastman marriage?
>Any words you'd like to say for the kids at home?