Okay so I have a 99 Lincoln town car and it's got a niiiiiiiice v8 for huge amount of highway driving I do...

Okay so I have a 99 Lincoln town car and it's got a niiiiiiiice v8 for huge amount of highway driving I do. It's about 220 horsepower from what I've read.

I'm gonna get a new car in the next couple years and here's my question. They don't make v8 sedans anymore nearly at all (and on top of that the town car line was ended), but these v6es are 250 to 300hp? Does that number make for comparable smooth highway driving?

Other random question is this car has speed adaptive steering which is suuuuuper nice for the highway. Is this a common feature in newer cars?

I've owned shitty early 90's cars my whole life but I'm about to walk into 100k a year and I don't spend money on jack shit, so a nice car is somewhere I'm willing to put a little more into.

Basically cars have changed enough that a 2017 4 cylinder can top your car pretty easily, let alone a 6 cylinder. The only reason to drive your car is the interior.

Get a 2010ish lincoln and call it a day. I can't imagine they hold their value.

>Other random question is this car has speed adaptive steering which is suuuuuper nice for the highway. Is this a common feature in newer cars?
My 91 Alfa 164 had adaptive steering so I'd hope so.

Literally chip tune a modular and it will beat 95% of inline fours

Can someone explain to me why horsepower doesn't matter.

I refuse to believe high horsepower = good highway driving. What else goes into this equation?

Lexus LS460/600h

engine noise and vibration, 4 cyl and 6 cly don't run as smooth as a v8 and they have to run at higher RPM to maintain the same horsepower.

I've got a 96 impala ss with an 5.7l ls1 V8 in it, Stock was 260 hp That's a real muscle car. Speed adaptive steering wasn't even AROUND in 99, so your comment is bullshit. Not to mention that experienced drivers/track drivers choose to not use it because they are actually USED to using less steering input at higher speeds. The 99 Lincoln town car actually has 200 hp, not 220.

Lincoln town car:
0-60: 9.4 sec 1/4 mile: 17.5 sec
Impala ss
0-60: 3.5 sec 1/4 mile: 12.1 sec

You do have suspension in the equation.

Gearing matters too. These cars cruise 65mph at about 1300rpm effortlessly.

Any car can cruise 65mph at low rpms, it's because it's in a gear that isn't first you dumbass

>1996 Implala does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds

If it's gutted, supercharged like a mahfucka, and has slicks.

Weak bait, but I'll bite.

user. Maybe OP should've called it variable assist as that's what it was called in the late 80s early 90s.

I shouldn't be surprised you weren't aware, you're a GM fanatic.

>96 Impala SS
>5.7 LS1
>LS1
>1996

I think you meant LT1.

>3.5 second 0-60
Laughable no.

Actually you are right, I actually did mean LT1. but I've got the 96 impala with the gm/garrett TT, it's got a 0-60 3.5 second.
Also, I'm not a GM fanatic, I drive more tuners than muscle, but I've got a 96 impala ss impala in my small collection as my sole muscle car. I usually take out my power steering units because it's pointless in my opinion, so I don't really know too much about variable assist. I know variable assist was around then, but it's different than what they have now. Back then it didn't use a physical connection to the wheels when there was pressure in the system. Nowadays it uses electronics to get it done, and the steering column is connected at all times.

This post is so fucking busrider that I can’t believe you expect any of us to believe you

Wow I've never been offended by a post on Veeky Forums before but if the car weren't 100 miles away at the moment I'd take a picture of the page in the manual and school your dumb ass, even if I did call it the wrong name.

Not to mention
said their car had it eight years earlier than mine, so eat a cock.

You... remove power steering...? This is my first day on Veeky Forums but I'm pretty sure you'd have to be fucking built for that to be even slightly comfortable...

What the fuck

>said their car had it eight years earlier than mine, so eat a cock.
Eh? Settle grettle

He’s just making shit up user, he doesn’t have a twin turbo impala SS either.

It's not hard to drive without power steering. How the hell do you think your granddaddy drove?

I don't care if you don't believe me, just don't try to clown with that pos lincoln that you have that can't even go sub 15 on a 1/4 mile

I have a 2017 Crosstrek. Top gear is like 3500 RPM at 65mph.

You know as the owner of the town car I'd try to weigh in on this conversation but they don't actually have an RPM gauge, but you basically can't hear it idle and it's not much louder after it shifts into overdrive.

I'm kinda getting the impression it's not really possible to replicate with a v6?

I'm referring to the fact that his car is an older car. There are many cars that can go 70 mph in first gear.

I’m not saying that I don’t believe you, I’m saying you completely made up having a TT Impala SS. One is a matter of belief, the other is a fact.

So this is that "roast" thing kids are talking about these days

Post impala then.

I'm not the douchebag, I was just commenting that you fucked him up pretty hard, lel

Granddad's cars had large steering wheels for leverage, and mostly without coverings too, gearboxes with 20+:1 ratios for even more mechanical leverage, caster settings that were all but vertical to make turning easier, and tiny little tires with a contact patch about the size of a quarter. None of which a modern car has.

The main thing that makes modern cars hard to steer without power steering is trying to force feed the hydraulicaly assisted rack, with a manual rack, even with a ratio of something like 4:1 it's not hard unless you're virtually stationary.

It's just heavier. No power steering is easily done.

Anyway, to answer OP the only two ways of making more power on less displacement are with more revs or forced induction. So assuming a naturally aspirated V6 that means it's going to have to spin harder to do the same work and that can make for a busier feel accelerating and at cruise. Forced induction may or may not be detectably different from a large V8 depending on design intent.

And yes, most any car above econobox status has speed sensitive steering so that won't be a significant limiting factor for you imo.

Not saying I believe TT Impala guy (it's in the shop I guess, so thats's why there's no pictures probably, also his uncle works at GM etc etc), but no power steering on modern(ish) cars isn't that big a deal unless you're doing slow speed maneouvering or smth.
Had a power steering pump fail on me in an '03 LeSabre and I could manage a few weeks of driving until I had the time to fix it. Utter shit when parking (them gainz tho) but perfectly manageable at driving speeds (but not nice or comfy).

What is this supposed to mean