How do those of you who work on their own high mileage vehicles keep track of what's been done and keep an easy way to...

How do those of you who work on their own high mileage vehicles keep track of what's been done and keep an easy way to check what's next and due when? My pic attached has been awesome, but only goes to 100K. I don't know what to do maintenance wise beyond that, so was just going to start over with a new book. What do?

>buy binder
>put paper in binder
>write on paper

This certainly works. But I'm going from something small that fits in the glovebox, includes a checklist for everything, and has perforated tear offs for each mileage maintenance to.... A binder. I use Amsoil garage but even that is a pain in the ass comparatively.

> Not chiselling it into your garage walls
> Not tattooing your car's service history onto your back
> Not committing it to memory for instant recall

They make small binders also small ass notebooks

Why even bother maintaining that piece of shit. Trade it in for a tacoma or a ridgeline already.

Look at this small dicked american with his dodge ram proably moved a tv in the bed one time.

Don't you know a car with a trailer is so much more practical.

i use notes in my iphone in a folder dedicated to my car

i dont plan on selling my car so im not gonna be a faggot and get proper notation of service

Make your own logbook type page in Microsoft Office, copy the Dodge Logbook Pages. You can make templates, save them, and reuse them each time you have new services.

>Mitchell
>All data
>Call a Chrysler dealership and ask what they have when for you to come in
>Pay a dealership mechanic to print it out for you
>What is google
>Note book
>Excel or spreadsheet
With all the possibilities, you have no idea? Why do you need it in the glovebox?

Don't have a high mileage vehicle but I use an app called aCar. As long as you record your mileage at every fill up, it will let you know when you are approaching a service interval for something.

a simple textbook in the glove compartment.

Yeah bait. But why not. New vehicles need maintenance too. Anyone who buys a diesel truck just to trade it in at 60K is a retard. I live 3\4 of the time in a 30 foot camper with my family and do IT contract work around the country. Our loaded travel load is about 1K shy of GCWR. Home base is being developed in the woods, and I haul marbles and rocks and barbie doll beds. Your typical bro-dozer driving asshat does not work on his own truck and definitely doesn't keep it for 130K miles. My shit is cosmetically stock, and when I replaced the rusted out exhaust I was desperately trying to find a quiet one, since braaaaap in the cab is fatiguing and terrible. Bought one from the dealer for $$$ since no manufacturer gives a shit about how quiet their muffler is.

What did you do for an extended service schedule?

This is where I'm leaning. Feels like reinventing a wheel but who doesn't enjoy a little craft time I guess?

Glovebox is there when I do the maintenance and when I wonder about it while sitting in driveway, right next to odometer?

Thanks. I'll look into that. Sounds like it might be a cool solution.

Unrelated... Last captcha made me laugh. And do you flag the sign POSTS for street signs too? And don't street signs have to do with streets? I'm always wrong because I only flag the signs themselves, and only street related. I will change Google's mind singlehandedly one day!

I use a harbor freight engraver pen to jot down maintenance records on the cylinder walls. If the next owner wants to know the service records he's gonna need to take the mf head off lmao

When it breaks it's due. How hard can it be op

my barge has a built-in service interval reminder that can be set manually or to manufacturer spec, but i still record date and mileage of services in a word file

This. Not recommended for cars with timimg belts though
Also every 10000km just replace oil & filter, check brake and power steering fluid, check belts, air filter and battery if not sealed. It's really not difficult because you only have to remember 1 number

Having any kind of failure on a 7500 pound truck going 75 mph is a little more terrible than a Honda Civic that won't start.

They're really not that different, I don't see how you get such a sense of self-importance from having a slightly bigger car

It's all in my head. I should probably write it down but I'm 5 years deep into it so whatever.

Wheels falling off while you're towing 20K of trailer down a mountain because you waited for a failure of a wheel bearing before inspecting and replacing it, or sending the transfer case into the cab and locking up both front tires because you didn't lube the U joint on the drive shaft are bigger problems. You (or someone) seemed to think that ignoring routine maintenance and inspections is something that only impacts convenience, like you'll be late to work or your AC won't work. I don't know if that's a small car mindset or what.

The whole "disposable car" mindset aside, not taking care of your shit makes you a nigger.

> He doesn't use legacy captcha

Didn't know that was a thing. Thanks.

Wheels don't just fall off from lack of maintenance you fucking retard, do you even know how wheel bearings fail?
Also you can't even inspect a wheel bearing race without then having to replace the whole thing. And even if you could, if the surface was damaged you would be able to hear it as soon as it happens, without having to wait until you next inspected it

>not keeping all your manifests/receipts in the glovebox

Why do you want to log shit when you aren't under warranty? Just remember what you've done and put a service reminder alarm on your phone

Wheel bearings are inspected for lateral and radial movement outside of spec, as well as simply by rotating them while off the ground.

Because the log is handy for knowing when you last changed your diff fluid or did an oil analysis? I can't remember what I've done without it. How many miles have I put on that ball joint that failed prematurely... What kind of life did I get out of that brand of tire... I'm not an enthusiast who remembers these things... just cheap and have never seen a garage that did anything right.

Didn't expect to have so many people question why one would do anything other than oil changes, why one would keep a log of maintenance items and failures, or why one would keep a vehicle past 100K. Did expect fallout from being an OCD sperg who likes to have that data in a certain way though.

>oil analysis
Lmao, m8

I just kinda over-maintain. I'll do stuff like fluid changes, the water pump, brake lubing and more just because I feel like it, even when its probably not needed for another few yeara

if it breaks fix it. check your fluids. check your brakes. DONT turn your car into something to obsess over getting every little thing done by the schedule

Well maybe yours are but again it's not critical. One day you hear some noise and then you replace it when convenient. It's not likely to leave you stranded unless you keep driving on it

Changing out 3 gallons of diesel oil and a filter or sending a few ounces off for 20 bucks and getting 40,000+ miles per oil change. It's cheaper, easier, and gives me another way to see what's going on in the engine. What's not to love?

I tend to do the old "well I'm in here anyway...". Had to change out the ball joints (which are weak shit on a RAM) and ended up doing shocks, rotors, pads, steering stabilizer, while I was at it. Replacing stuff too often costs a little more and might waste some time, but it won't total your car or kill anyone!

Are you seriously arguing that you never have to inspect things before they actually break because all of the things that could kill you or someone else through neglect will make loud screechy noises or vibrate for a month before letting loose? Why would you not jack 4 points up and spend an hour every so often to look at everything. Actually check your rotor runout when you install new rotors so you don't warp them every 10K, basically paying a $300/quarterly subscription for the convenience of easier more frequent rotor/pad changes? Spend a little time inspecting and doing shit right, you'll save time and money in the long run and won't be taking out another (((loan))) to buy whatever new piece of shit with a terrible interior is next in line. This is why buying used cars is such a fucking mess... People treat them like they're disposable. When your payments are done, keep putting about half that payment in a bank account to use for repairs. Don't buy another car until that account starts dwindling. Use that money for the down payment. Your car is your first or second largest investment.

>payments
Loans are for cucks, my car cost $1000 cash
>This is why buying used cars is such a fucking mess... People treat them like they're disposable
I agree, but I think there's a difference between replacing parts as needed and just running it into the ground until it fails catastrophically or will cost too much to make it pass a WOF (or similar - I assume most countries have regular safety inspections)

>daily drive a vehicle that requires 11 litres of oil
Fuckin lol. My 5ltr v8 takes half that

I just change oil every 4k miles, and i change all the other fluids whenever I buy tires.
Whenever I wash my cars which is usually every 2 weeks, I check all fluids and tire pressures.
All other maintenance is when stuff breaks or makes odd noises.

But how often do you have to change it? How much are spark plugs, wires. What is the useful life of your engine before overhaul. What kind of MPG do you get. TCO on a diesel is lower as long as you take care of the engine.

>
When it looks shitty
>
Sparkplugs are $3.50 each $80 for leads
>
It's on 300,000kms now and has just a bit of compression loss on the back two cylinders
>
10-14l/100k

>write down my odometer every time I get gas
>oil change every 5k miles
>the guy usually tells me when I need a new air filter, battery, or spark plugs