How often should you flush the power steering system?

How often should you flush the power steering system?

i do mine with an the oil change every 3k

read your owners manual dipshit, bet it says nothing about flushing anything

Which is why he's asking here...
Do you seriously think every fluid maintains its specified properties forever?
You'll stop spewing bullshit when your brake lines corrode and you smash into someone's well maintained car.

Most people seem to go by color. If it's almost black and it stinks like it's been burnt, then it needs to be flushed. At that point though the seals in the rack and pinion are probably damaged anyway.

>metal rusting
>same as fluid needing to be flushed out using some new machinery that has shown time and time again that it destroys more than it fixes
>thinks cars exploded from not using these machines the 70 years before they were invented

Go back to your containment board you nomad

My car is 30 years old, never once had these procedures done on it with 200k miles, thank god I sold my soul to the devil to protect my machines without the 18 year old Jiffy Lube tech to fix them with his wonder machines

The owner's manual of my car doesn't even specify that you should change transmission fluid let alone power steering

I do mine when I do a brake job, together with the brake fluid. No set time

>thinks a vacuum brake bleeder is some "new machine"
>thinks that changing brake fluid is bad

someone needs to go back and its not the user you responded to...

its a hydraulic fluid and like any hydraulic fluid it absorbs water. That can cause corrosion in the system and ultimately fuck shit up if it gets bad enough. That being said, if its kept well sealed for its entire life, it can last 10 years or more. just test it with a brake fluid testing pen.

Its also really, really bad if you live in a place that gets below-freezing temperatures for self-explained reasons

I flushed mine when I removed the power steering rack and pinion. Not out of choice mind you but because it was spewing out once I removed the fittings for the lines.. Never flushed power steering fluid, other than that time, never will. Most cars I assume shouldn't be flushed unless specified in the owner's manual

>implying you can read

flush =/= drain

Every 3k? What the fuck, I do that in 2 months easily and change my oil every 12k. Are Americans really this retarded?

How else do you change power steering fluid? There's no drain plug. You have to get in there with a turkey baster and suck it dry before filling. Run the pump for a little bit to circulate the fluid and repeat until the fluid comes out new.

wtf are you talking about? to change out the brake fluid properly, you NEED to flush out the lines with new fluid. otherwise you just have new fluid in the reservoir and old contaminated fluid in the master cylinder and lines where the damage actually occurs

You bleed the brakes until the fluid comes out clean. Not that crazy.

Just let it leak so bad that the fluid never gets a chance to get dirty because you're topping it off so often.

this
its probably not worth getting a new steering rack

Most of these old cars that “ don’t need “ any of this are in terrible shape

You have no idea how those machines work either. They make things a tiny bit faster but it’s exactly the same process.

This was literally my strategy for my old truck but with oil. Leaked about a quart a day

that is, by definition, a flush. Bleeding only refers to the elimination of air in the lines and in the caliper.