/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic The Hedgehog General. Here we talk about Sonic's stuff! Share art and music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more.

/sthg/ #835 - Creepy Fish Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsSonic News<
Many Details of Mania Revealed at SDCC: Animated Intro, Special Stages, Story, etc.
www.tssznews.com/2017/07/22/sdcc-2017-special-stage-in-sonic-mania-revealed-story-details/

IDW and SEGA Enter Publishing Deal; Will Be Speaking to Fan-Favorite and New Creators
twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/888538195045998592
twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/888536084472352770

Sonic Forces "Enter Infinite" Trailer & Theme of Infinite
youtube.com/watch?v=Mn6uqp_mr98
youtube.com/watch?v=XKjOJuPjiu4

Archie Sonic Officially Cancelled; Not the End of Sonic in Comics
twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/887809496898088960

Several Sonic Events Happening at San Diego Comic-Con 2017
sonicstadium.org/2017/07/sounds-of-sonic-music-event-set-for-san-diego-comic-con/
sonicstadium.org/2017/07/sonic-mania-behind-the-scenes-panel-at-comic-con/
sonicstadium.org/2017/07/sonic-augmented-reality-experience-coming-to-sdcc/

>General Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_mW1lznugII
youtu.be/lEm0UfvpdvM
youtube.com/watch?v=4JL6vKB5qMU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Bump/Sage version of Yaranaika

>sonic 1 fish
>sonic 3&k spheres
>sonic cd formula
>sonic 2 emphasis on ring count

Those special stages are going to have psychedelic backgrounds just like CD.
Those fish are from the background of the Sonic 1 special stage.

Why do people have such a hateboner for Sonic Chronicles? The gameplay was a little on the shallow side yet fun, the story, while not perfect was enjoyable and entertaining, the POW moves and Chao boosts were nice mechanics that also made for good fanservice, the characterization was some of the best in the series, and in general it just felt like a really solid first approach at a Sonic RPG, with plenty of worldbuilding to go around aswell. The main bad parts are the crappy soundtrack and sound effects, as well as the fact that the game very clearly feels kind of incomplete due to lacking content.

It's one of those games I thought was a perfectly enjoyable experience, but general longetivity and content was nil because it clearly suffered from the devs' cornercutting, unlike Boom or 06, which were not enjoyable to me at their core and the cornercutting just worsened things even further.

>the comics are coming back
>sonic mania and forces coming up

LETS GET THIS PARTY STARTED
youtube.com/watch?v=_mW1lznugII

L-lewd?

Still a cuck pairing

better question would be why you have such a boner for an objectively bad rpg in the first place

i mean besides that the word "Sonic" is in the title.

youtu.be/lEm0UfvpdvM

Thread theme song btw

Oh my God is that official art? Don't tell me it's Penders. Holy fuck that so bad it looks like a parody.

>Penders drew Andrew WK

I didn't realize the Steam page for Sonic Mania mentions a competitive multiplayer mode. I'm surprised they didn't show or mention anything about that, online play is a stretch but I'd love to race people here.

Why do you care if a big green rock gets cucked?

opps
meant for

that should be bump doing it to sage

It's just comparing times against other people's times. Like in Generations.

No, that's Chris Allan's art, but Penders writing

That shit's hilarious looking, they look like dudes with kigurumi on.

>Don't tell me it's Penders
can someone post an actual page from archie's sonic comic that was draw by ken penders? i wanna see what his art looked like before lara su chronicles

>Oh my God is that official art? Don't tell me it's Penders. Holy fuck that so bad it looks like a parody.
>they look like dudes with kigurumi on.

i dont think it looks bad

Look in the background, the more you notice the worse it is
Here you go. I don't get how anyone could say Penders was ever good

>I don't get how anyone could say Penders was ever good

He did kinda decent traces of Star Trek DS9 photos back int he day.

He's a good inker and letterer.

Maybe they were that big so you could actually see them on the screen dumbass.

I've seen some really shit lettering from him in the past. Inking sure I guess, it's adequate. But adequate for Penders is a fucking milestone

mina looks ok to me, the other characters i dont really mind or care, they are background characters anyways, then the background itself...i guess you could argue the people on the grandstands of the stadium look like purple bushes...but yet again, are we valuating sonic art based on what random crowds look from far away?

>He doesn't know about issue 113

Oh, I made a mistake. I thought you were talking about , that's what I was talking about

oh i get what u ment, yeah that one looks bad

thanks, you are a good mate, user

Issue 92 will always hold a place in my memory because to forget about it, I'd need the same drugs Higgins was on when he drew the damn thing...well, the half of the issue that wasn't shamelessly traced and hacked out from previous artists' work. That was the start of the Dark Ages for me.

So hold up.
For all intents and purposes, the Archiverse is done, right?

There will be more comics, but they're judt going to start from scratch most likely, right?

LEWD!!
God, I wish I had my reactions folder at hand.

Most likely, yeah

>For all intents and purposes, the Archiverse is done, right?

we dont know

idw comics may or may not pick up from were archie left off

we know nothing beyond the fact that idw will be publishing them now

Basically.
I don't know what everyone is so hyped about. "The Comic" is still canceled. All Sega is saying is that "this is not the end of sonic in comics" which essentially means there will be a new comic line that has a different unrelated story. So this really isn't a victory for anyone that wanted to save the archie story.

fixed

What is up with Sonic's quills

this

>All Sega is saying is that "this is not the end of sonic in comics" which essentially means there will be a new comic line that has a different unrelated story. So this really isn't a victory for anyone that wanted to save the archie story.

nobody said idw comics wont continue from archie's last issue

we dont know

What should I buy with my the rest of my paycheck? I already spent $700 on Tails art commissions, and I have about $500 left.

believing it will just pick up where archie left off is extremely wishful thinking, on top of, you know, commercially stupid.

/v/ keeps talking about a Sakura Synagogue as a stage for Mania and it sounds like total bullshit other than a Japanese-themed level is soft-confirmed by the Hard-Boiled Heavy silhouette

And leaks out here?

So is the little Sonic supposed to be Sonic's stand?

there is no official announcement that states wheter or not idw's comics will continue from archie's last issue or not

buying the trades of the comic as they will be getting rarer

was that a jojo reference?

Fuck Tails' Marble Garden boss fight.

Ok, I'll put it plainly, user.
It is far more likely than not that it's a new unrelated comic story.
I doubt the freedom fighters will even be in it.

Hey guys, TF fag from /toy/ here. Excited for Sonic to come to IDW, but will we be seeing Sally and the rest of the comic characters, or just Sonic, Knuckles, etc?

are you really not understanding how stupid you sound by just repeating that over and over?

nobody said the idw comic isn't going to feature uncensored penetrative sex between klonoa and amy rose.

we don't know

>tfw like long quills but hate bad art
So torn
It was the one thing I liked about 06 tho

i can respect your opinions and speculations, yes but please have in mind that nothing is certain yet

we dont know

>Hey guys, TF fag from /toy/ here. Excited for Sonic to come to IDW, but will we be seeing Sally and the rest of the comic characters, or just Sonic, Knuckles, etc?
TECHNICALLY there is a chance you will see Sally and the gang but I would say it's less than a 5% chance. It's far more likely that the new comics will be 100% game characters only.

Huh, turns out I can import the PC LE from America, and it's cheaper than the console versions.

Fine

>will we be seeing Sally and the rest of the comic characters, or just Sonic, Knuckles, etc?

we dont know, nothing was confirmed about that yet

Basically what says.
Nothing is official, but based on Sega's wording and the fact that they cut ties with archie because of how much of a headache it all was with the character and property rights, I would be my entire life savings you will never see freedom fighters or any other archie OCs in official Sonic material ever again.

And to be honest, maybe it's for the best. I love the comic. I've read through it several times and it's a huge part of my childhood, even the wierd alien time skip shit, but at this point I don't want to keep remnants of it suffering on life support. Just let it be at piece. Characters will survive in the community and through art.

>Why do people have such a hateboner for Sonic Chronicles?

Terrible music which we all know is a cardinal sin, difficulty spike that forces you to grind early on, POW moves can get unfairly difficult and tiring to pull off perfectly, subparoverworld models, uninteresting villain, and it ended on a cliffhanger that never got resolved.

I say this as someone who still likes it, though mostly because of the character interactions.

>are you really not understanding how stupid you sound by just repeating that over and over?
>nobody said the idw comic isn't going to feature uncensored penetrative sex between klonoa and amy rose.
>we don't know

you seem to be rather mad, but consider the following:

random anons that are not following the last threads come by and ask this kind of questions every now and then,

what am i supposed to say to them? i cant assure one thing or the other when there is no official source backing up such information, that would be incorrect and i dont want to help incorrent info spread through the rest of the internet

if idw or sega say something along the lines of "new Continuity from now on" or "freedom fighters wont come back" then fine, but until that happens we have to wait, we cant take anything from granted wheter it is more likely or not

this version is definitely more appropriate
youtube.com/watch?v=4JL6vKB5qMU

>Why do people have such a hateboner for Sonic Chronicles?

Gameplay was too slow for a sonic game. Period.

Is there any better moment to highlight them not giving a fuck about canon anymore?

check last thread

This is literally exactly how I feel. Evee since the reboot I've said basically "ok, fine. I'm glad it still exists, but if this hapoens again, just let it go next time."

It's really like losing an old freind but then you realize he really hasn't been that person you knew as a kid for some time anyway, so that makes it easier to let go. I think if the reboot had never happened, a lot of people would be taking this news much harder, but because the comic already kind of ended in 252, this is much easier to deal with. That's not to say I'm glad it's ended. Quite the contrary, I love the reboot era art and think some arcs like fighters are great. I'm just saying that nothing lasts forever and the fact that we already had a sort of ending for the events that statted at issue one back at issue 251 makes this news of an ultimate final cancellation easier to swallow.

How many times has he had to rebuild that thing anyway.

I hate this bonus stage so much. Worst ring turnout and does nothing but steal your rings.

I hope Tails gets his planes back in Forces and Mania.

They haven't cared for over a decade. This is just insult to injury. Nothing new.

For the record, in my headcanon it's atill Tails' plane.

still*

is this finished or is it still ment to be updated sometime in the future?

>temples of gaia
L M A O

jesus fuck turn off that hideous filter on your emulator

What am I missing here?

>filters

YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO THIS WITH TAILS NOT SOME LITERALLY WHO CHARACTER OF THE WEEK

There are a handful of differences between Sonic 3 and Sonic 3& Knuckles that I think merit a playthrough of Sonic 3, but is there any reason to play Sonic & Knuckles by itself?

i'd like to see more work put on the stages, if not a layout or graphics edit maybe different palletes at least

different music wouldnt hurth tho

sonic & knuckles is a good one-sitting run

sorry guys i play it that way because it makes the borders round, forgot to turn it off for the rest of you

>Like 3D and 2D Sonic, though I like 2D more.
>Hyped for Mania AND Forces
>Realize that both the above makes me an enemy of a good chunk of the Sanic community, including pretty much all of Sonic Retro.

I don't believe there are any updates planned, but he did leave the source code if anyone else wants to.

I love low poly Sonic

Tornado is Sonic's plane. Tornado 2 is Tails'

YOU LOVE CHIP HE GOOD FRIEND SONIC
Unleashed kinda feels really weak if you don't like Chip. It sucks, takes away so much from the game

I prefer the Sonic & Knuckles levels/level music over 3

Chip is so much more enjoyable to bully than Tails.

dont be so over dramatic

That and the Tornado should be destroyed and replaced by the Tornado 2 or the Cyclone anyway. He's specifying 1, even though 2 and Cyclone apparently don't exist anymore.

I thought Mania is great for the classic feel?

Okay so I just dropped by neogaf to see what they thought of Infinite's theme and hoooly shiiet that was a bad idea. Those fucks are bigger dicks to sonic than /v/.

Retro loves Mania but hates Forces.

Why do people hate so much on Lost World? I haven't played it yet, but the gameplay looks way better than the Boost garbage and it has the coolest cutscenes since 2006 (if we don't count the very first cutscene in Unleashed, but I'm referring more to the interactions between characters and what they say). I don't really like the Zetis but that's about it.

NeoGaf impressively have bigger faggots than /v/ does, but considering what it takes to get an account on that website I'm not surprised everyone has huge as fuck heads