Which is better manual or automatic. Also don't talk about Initial D or some ricer shit

Which is better manual or automatic. Also don't talk about Initial D or some ricer shit.

We have this thread 10 fucking tines a day. Check the catalog and fuck off.

Auto is better; faster and more fuel economy. manual is for poorfags who cant afford an autobox.

Autos are faster if you buy German and post 2010.
DSG is the best.

American and Jap cars autos are still meh.

Manual is fun and auto is not unless you are at the track.

Sage btw

Or some ricer who listens to eurobeat and watches Initial D and Fat and the Furious for 10 hours.

>auto is faster
If you buy a newer sports car, yeah. Most of us on here can't afford anything but a slushbox, so a manual is a more fun, faster option for the money.

why even ask when you already know the answer

I know this is a shitty bait thread but if you were going to buy an M2 would you get the faster dual clutch box or the manual gearbox? It seems the manual is much more fun going off of youtube reviews.

Manual is for rices.

I'd go with what's more fun. Who gives a shirt weather it's faster or not. You will never be the fastest on the racetrack, so you might as well go with something more engaging.

I totally agree, I see some articles making it seem like the dual clutch box is the obvious choice because it’s a few seconds faster on a track but I couldn’t care less about that. I’m getting the car to have fun not set lap times. My only concerns are: never driven a stick and it’ll be a daily driver.

>dd
>never driven stick
that first week will be hell and full of embarrassment but after that it'll be smooth sailing.

It really is not a hard thing to pick up at all, it's pretty damn easy. Watch some videos and see if you can find a friend with a manual car to learn the very basics.

They both excel at different things so it really depends on what you are doing with the car. There is no better.

>not using the slower manual to give yourself a handicap while you smoke trust fund babbies in their overpriced krautboxes when their indian-tears coolant leaks from their ivory radiators

>a few seconds faster
I don't know about that. Fractions of a second maybe. It's not like you are at a complete stop shifting in a manual, you just aren't accelerating for the .1-.2 seconds that some dual clutch auto is accelerating. Otherwise I completely agree, it's way more engaging/fun, which is a huge part of the whole thing in the first place.

Depends on the car.
The DCT versions of my car sucked ass, because they hadn't perfected that shit yet.
Not only is the manual version far more durable (and less expensive to repair), it's also much rarer than the DCT one, hence far more valuable.

Yeah I’m prepared for that but in general my philosophy is to suffer more in the present so I can be happier in the future.

Yeah it doesn’t seem too hard. The hardest thing seems to be getting moving from a stop and hills. I’m gonna keep watching videos and then see if I can get someone to teach me.

I mean a few seconds faster across an entire track since those fractions of a second accumulate. Honestly I don’t care because I’m not a pro racer so there’s no point worrying about such things.

I just mean it's a fraction of a second longer for acceleration, the other car is still moving at about the same exact speed, so even with accumulation it isn't vastly different. A lot of people get hung up on the "it shifts in .1 seconds" and think that it means all that extra time is how much further ahead that car gets. NowwhatimeanVern?

Yeah I know it’s not some kind of tremendous advantage like people make it out to be. And the sites advocating it hard are probably getting kickbacks from bmwusa to convince people to pay extra for the dct.

It’s true that the dct changes gears faster because of its two clutches but the difference is so minute that it literally is meaningless to all but the hardcore track autists. Plus the manual gearbox auto rev matches so that’s another reason why the difference is marginal at best.

Manual transmission provides a more immersive and fun driving experience. There's just something satisfying about grabbing a hard stick and pulling it with great force until your speed increases.

Its not just the faster gear changing. I have a DSG and the boost from the turbo wont get lost when its changing. In a manual on the other hand you lose a little depending on how fast you fuck your gearbox.

I've owned 26 cars in my life, and the only "auto" that I've ever owned is my current vehicle: 2011 Audi S4.

It has the S-tronic transmission) (DSG trans).

I agree with most of you. Manuals are more fun, but the newer sequential (not torque converter or CVT) transmissions are the only autos I'd own. They're just the best of both worlds: Faster shifting than a manual, and I can throw it into "Drive" when I'm in traffic.

You can have a recirc set up and that won't be an issue. The advantages are marginal at best. Hell the difference between lines someone takes on any given track would more than compensate for the longer shifting times.

That’s true since it has two electronically-controlled clutches it’s able to keep the turbo spooled more consistently. However the new manual gearbox in the M2 automatically rev-matches with every shift; shouldn’t that negate most of the rpm loss of the turbo?

I've never driven any Audi but I have driven a couple cars with flappy paddle shifters and I tried it in each (granted none were real sports cars) and after a very short period of time I just put it in full auto since I didn't see the point. They were one of the V6 Tiburons and a diesel Cayenne, so not really the same as say a GTR transmission, or experience.

Well atleast it sounds like that. Just came to mind when read the thread. However I would always choose an automatic over a manual. Its way more comfortable, in my opinion. Before my GTI with DSG I had 4 manuals and I will never take a manual again.

Manual is for people who like the sound of their engine and want predictable power. I know how much engine braking my 2nd and 3rd gear takes and how quickly I can shoot off if I need to go heavier throttle in traffic. I know downshifting from 5th to 4th will give me enough to pass on the highway. I could rev match and throw it in 3rd to do the same thing and pass really fast.

I like manual because it's more involved and it gives my limbs something to do. My brother hates it because he's a normie who texts while driving and manual is annoying for that in traffic. He used to own a stick miata but he's adamant about using the phone while driving and he never wants to go back.

Manual is for poorfags though. If I could afford a 10 speed auto with paddles I'd buy it. Until then my 3k beater is supercharged so it's kind of quick.

>buy auto wrx
>its slower than the manual and shit

>buy auto gt-86
>the 0-60 get one second slower

Yea, I just couldn't afford the extra $2000 transmission when I got my 2015 Mustang GT with the performance/premium edition packages. Kek.

Auto is objectively better which is why all of the fastest cars in the world are going auto. Manuel is only for fags with a superiority complex, boomers and poor euros.

I should add that it doesn't really matter because ICE cars will be banned within 10 years.

Why is that? I currently daily a car with automatic steptronic transmission so I was looking forward to trying a real manual

Manual is just an inconvenience for literally no payoff. In the past, manual fags could use drivetrain losses and fuel economy as excuses but now they have resorted to "feelings." There is literally no reason to buy a manual car.

For a luxury sedan which is used to eat highway miles and get you confortably from A to B i guess a automatic is the way to go. A DCT gearbox is also a good thing if you want a car to be as fast as possible around the track. Supercars and hyperars.

In my opinion changing gears is a very important part of driving and as i don't intend to set any lap records in race tracks, i will always prefer the manual gearbox.

manual

I understand that but feelings shouldn’t exactly be disregarded either. Every time I see the manual gearbox reviews of the M2 it seems like the drivers are having so much fun. It’s also cheaper than the dct version so that also makes me lean towards it.

Also, manual cars are cheaper to maintain and keep their value better.
>pic related
one of my all time favorite cars, its a shame that it only came in automatic and now its already a 10yo technology, and like all autos, eventually they will get outdated.

GET OFF MY BOARD

They are pretending that moving a stick is more fun than pushing a button because they want to be seen as automotive enthusiasts.

Don't listen to she doesn't like cars.

youre like one of those soyboys who thinks people pretend to like beer

>autos get outdated
>manual somehow doesn't
???

Its not like im lazy or anything but automatic is just heaven. When I still had a manual I would always shift a little earlier or drive faster and put it in a higher gear for better fuel consumption and now I literally dont give a fuck anymore because its already doing it for me. In some situations its pretty convenient, especially fucking traffic jams. The only situation where i fucking hated to drive a manual. I even wanted my car with a manual at first but wanted to test automatic since ive never driven one and I was like ok, no more manuals and the dealer had to change my order.

Why fix what isn't broken?

>$2,000
are automatic transmissions really that expensive in America?
no wonder they have the poorfag meme over there, it's only a 150-700 extra where I live

manuals aren't controlled by computers, manuals are easy to maintain.

The performance of the LFA isn't going to change in 10 years any more than a manual version would.

well thats just a foolish thing to say, entropy exists for everything.

there's not one single downside to using a manual transmission, yet there's multiple downsides to using an auto
there's no competition

Except for manual cars, apparently.

>slower
>can't be lazy
>can't eat a double cheeseburger while driving

Fool.

You forgot
>can’t masturbate while driving

I can and have done both of those in my manual car.

>slower
how?
>can't be lazy
can if you're cruising
>cant eat a double cheesburger while driving
maybe YOU cant

I get it and I don't. I just can't see myself actually getting a manual just because of the cost lol.

It depends on what you want out of the car it’s in.
>4000lbs landbarge with bench seats and a low-revving V8?
Auto for sure.
>2300lbs 115hp hatchback that can rev to 8k?
Manual every day.

>Multi-ton lorry?
Manual with 18 gears and 3 ranges.

>how?
Auto shifts way faster than you can.

>implying

If you're not that much into driving - automatic. If you are - manual

auto was brought in around the time women started driving
doesnt take a genius to figure this one out

manual its timeless, its as good as you can do it. never gets old.
what would you choose?
>Manual Supra vs Autotragic Supra?
>Manual older Ferrari vs automatic older Ferrari

dsg shifts in 8ms, fag

i shift in 7

just because old manuals were better than old automatics doesn't make them timeless. a new auto trans will still be better than a new manual 20 years from now.

7 minutes maybe

manual is better to drive on back roads, but auto is better for highways and city driving

See

>b-b-b-but it's only a little faster muh feels

Way to deflect the issue. This is you

there isn't an issue, unless you're a manual fag. auto is faster.

auto for your DD, manual for your weekend car.

manual is more fun
automatic is more efficient

>analog vs digital
a good manual will always be a good manual, a good automatic now will just get outdated.

Depends on what you are trying to do...traffic then auto. Enjoying the performance of your car ...manual. Manual allows you to control the shift points based upon the levels of torque and hp you want. Some hp is only accessible at an rpm higher than an auto tranny will go prior to shifting

>Some hp is only accessible at an rpm higher than an auto tranny will go prior to shifting
The only reason I can bear my auto gearbox is that it has steptronic and only forces a shift if the engine is either about to stall or about to detonate. If it were a typical slushbox with no ability to change gears I would have fucking sudoku’d already.

This is why I really want to get the manual option on my M2.

Depends on the car. Some autos are really nice, especially newer ones. Some manuals aren't so nice.

Even torque converters are getting pretty good these days.

>auto is faster
sure is, if you want the fastest one its an easy choice, but thats missing the point isnt it?
manual is all about muh feels
300hp manual FEELS faster than 300hp auto, it isnt, but it just feels.
An auto is faster and smoother and that is a good thing, but it also filters the whole experience and the whole point of having a nice engine in my opinion.

They are just different, it depends on what you want from your car. The driving experience with an auto is just a more numb driving experience.
That said, if you are American and driving a manual doesnt feel natural because you've driven autos all your life, just go for the auto and you wont regret it.

This always makes me think of the synthesizer debate of analog vs digital. Digital excels at FM and additive synthesis, analog will always do subtractive best. It’s nice to have a bit of both around.

music is gay

no u

Literally neither of those are sports cars.