What's Veeky Forums opinion on the Nissan Silvia S12 ?

I don't know anything about the S12, I just realized they are way cheaper that other 80's coupes, and I may be able to buy a S12 shitbox. What's wrong compared to the S13, or the other 80's sport cars ? Are they also affected by the drift tax ?

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/BYhCIpdnKH4/
youtube.com/watch?v=K-3W3Z-IUic
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

> I just realized they are way cheaper that other 80's coupes, and I may be able to buy a S12 shitbox

gee i wonder why

>What's wrong compared to the S13, or the other 80's sport cars?
S12 is pigfat and has very little aftermarket support. esp compared to the S13/S14/S15

>Are they also affected by the drift tax ?

no because most people don't give a flying fuck about them.

That being said its entirely possible to turn them into a drift car, I hope you have money tho. With the money spent on turning it into a drift car you can have a much better car.

but if you just want it for a beater or maybe even a daily thats fine I guess. its still a 30 y/o car tho

It looks like a third gen prelude and an ae86 had a baby and nissan was forced to pay the child support.

I like them :( They kinda look like a short mk 3

It seems like an AE86 without the meme tax, even looks very similar

primative suspension, a little heavy, unredeeming engine options

all completely fine if you just want a fun daily or drift box. bad news if you can only own one car for the rest of your life and it absolutely has it has to be the world's best touge machine

>ae86 without the meme tax

nope not at all. its the total opposite. if it was anywhere close to an AE86 it would be out of your price range. Theres a reason why most people into cars don't give a flying fuck about that.

I'm actually looking for a first car. I want a fun daily driver, not the ultimate dorifto machinu. And I like the 80's coupe looks.

>not the ultimate dorifto machinu
ae86 isn't even the "ultimate drift machine", stop watching shitty anime based around cars or just stop watching anime in general

Makes sense you're looking for your first car as you sound like a dumb teen. Don't buy something nice, when you look at stastistics, you most likely will get in an accident.

Buy a fucking $3k civic and call it a day, as it will be fun as fuck to beat on esp at your dumb age. When you are a more seasoned driver and better at taking care of cars, then you can buy something cool, and not a shitty S12, trust me that car is a fucking pigfat coupe

I know that as well as the regular inline 4 versions there was one that they put a v6 in

I like it better than the meme shitbox Corolla.
Looks better, turbo engine from the factory, apparently the suspension is a bit more primitive but nothing a good coilover set can't fix.
Also cheaper than the AE86 because no memebox tax.

>ae86 isn't even the "ultimate drift machine"
Explain yourself, good gentlesir.

I'm aware that AE86 are overrated because of Tsuchiya and Initial D. I think the ultimate RWD drift car would be a modded RX-7/RX-8 (despite knowing the PITA Wankel engines are). Now if I have to go for a hatchback I would choose a 4x4 Suzuki Swift. Ricers absolutely RUINED available Civics in my area.

u wot m8

1. stop taking intial d seriously.

even in Japan while there are plenty of ae86 that are used for drifting, they actually have better your for straight up circuit racing. don't be like this guy posting that shitty cartoon and read the rest of my post below

>I'm aware that AE86 are overrated because of Tsuchiya and Initial D

No Just Initial D. Tsuchiya is a great driver and has had his 86 for moren than 20 years and in those 20 years he has perfected his driving style with it as well as his balance with. It being lightweight with a lil power plus having his skills makes the car have a huge advantage.
some dumb kid in America sees that and thinks that buying an SR-5 ae86 in america is the same exact thing. "Yeah just slam it on Racelands and cop some rotas and Im exactly like the DK"

>I think the ultimate RWD drift car would be a modded RX-7/RX-8
There is no "ultimate drift car" but as of right now the S-chassis unofficially holds that title. Theres a reason why a lot of people use it. Also Rx8s are pure trash. Rx7s on the other hand.

instagram.com/p/BYhCIpdnKH4/

>Now if I have to go for a hatchback I would choose a 4x4 Suzuki Swift.
Not sure if you're trolling but that isn't rwd, nor it is a drift car.

>have better your
*better use

I just bought an s12 about two weeks ago as a project, fuck me parts are so hard to find.
I was lucky the only major thing wrong with it is the radiator and i managed to source one.

> fuck me parts are so hard to find.
lol dummy, you didn't know this?

the best thing to do with the S12 is swap the 240sx engine into it (KA) as well has the entire suspension.
once you do that, boom you have unlimited supply in parts since 240sx parts are littered on the internet. esp aftermarket parts.

>There is no "ultimate drift car" but as of right now the S-chassis unofficially holds that title
kek, the only reason those nissans are used is because there's plenty shells and aftermarket shit in Japan.
In Europe people use 3 Series from different gens, does that make the 3 Series the "unnoficial" ultimate drift car?

People shit on the s12 but nobody has posted any facts in this thread. How heavy is it exactly, especially in ca18et tim? How is the trailing arm suspension more primitive than a live axle (hachi), or other popular drift cars with trailing arms (FC rx7). I think most of you guys don't know what you're talking about.

actually the 3 series (e36) is pretty much on par with the 240sx here in america as well thanks for reminding me. So both the 240sx and E36 are the unofficial "ultimate" cheap drift car. it might be a TAD cheaper to purchase an cleaner e36 as those don't have as large as a tax as 240sx.

there is no "ultimate" drift car though because if you either have funds or sponsors like Rockstar energy drink, you can turn almost anything into a drift car.

pic related Formula D Professional Drive Fredric Aasbo and his RWD 1000hp Toyota iM

youtube.com/watch?v=K-3W3Z-IUic

its about money not so much the car.

>People shit on the s12 but nobody has posted any facts in this thread

actually a lot of facts were dropped in this thread, you're either illiterate or just dense

>How heavy is it exactly, especially in ca18et tim

Why does the CA18et trim matter? That only came in japan. and nobody will import a shitty S12 here. they have very little resale power.

the north american S12 got a SOHC 2.0 L (1974 cc) CA20E and produces a measly 105 hp. that is the same amount of hp as a Miata.

Friend had one, seemed like a decent car, CA20e went surprisingly good, was great for doing fun little slides here and there.
Light, nimble little car with a north west 4 cylinder and RWD - what more could you ask for? Basically Nissan's version of the xA6x Celica.

>"pigfat"
>

>CA engine
>VG engine
>unredeeming

Nah.

Stop trying to sound like saying "archaic suspension" and "pigfat" are facts. Post numbers.
And where is "here"? Because the USA had a turbo s12 and v6 models available. Again sounds like you know nothing.

>apparently the suspension is a bit more primitive
No.
Unlike the AE86 "God Machine" the S12 has the option of IRS.

and unlike the S12, the Ae86 has a strong aftermarket support to which you can turn a shitty clapped out corolla in to a serious circuit monster.

>Light, nimble little car

a Miata is a lightweight nimble car.

the S12 is not

He's full of shit and probably never gone near an S12 in his life mate, dw.

#
OP here. I'm actually a Eurofag and this would be a CA18ET-powered hatchback.
I'm not interested in drifting right now. I just like the 80's aesthetic and would like a car I'll enjoy. I'm not afraid to work on it.

Yeah about the same weight as an FC which everybody knows are light as fuck
>mfw
You can't fight common knowledge on the net mate, easier to beat your head on the wall.

>both have McPherson strut front suspension
>S12 can easily be upgraded to S13 gear

>AE86 has live rear which any tuner would swap out in a heartbeat for semi-trailing IRS if he could
>S12 runs GODLIKE R200 longnose diff (same as Datsun Z cars)

You're talking out of your arse mate.

>One weight category up from the AE86
>lightest trim S12 is probably lighter than the heaviest trim AE86
>not light

"pigfat" is 1500kg.

buy it I guess. just know it is 30 y/o that has very little aftermarket and its hard to find parts for. Youd be better off with a miata but if you like making your life harder, buy the S12

No rear seats at all in a Miata. I can't. If you have other ideas you're welcome to share them.

How is this any better than an s12?

>Rarer car
>Heavier
>More expensive
You really need to explain to me how this is better than a S12.

some dude on Veeky Forums drives one and it looks mint af

Hey Im back, but that wasn't me who replied it was some other stupid user. who made that suggestion

>needing rear seats
>thinking S12 has rear seats

unless you will be carting manlets or small women around, you won't fit anyone back there. I don't have any other suggestion than a $3k civic sedan

Didn't realize you only got turd spec ones in Euro.
Jap spec economy models got 1S engines, one of the base models in Aus got a 2S-C.

$500 SA63 + $1500 BEAMS = slightly bigger AE86 with IRS.

it's true what they say about reddit spacing

My little brother is a manlet. I don't want too much space to avoid becoming the taxi driver of my family/ in uni. But I must be able to cart 2 people if i need it (brother and mother)

They look nice at a distance but when you're standing next to them you see nissan made a lot of design decisions that haven't aged as well as other cars from the 80's The interior is even worse but I'd still consider picking up an fj powered one.

Typical Americunts

Please listen to . These cars have zero aftermarket, and OEM parts are hard to find. Sure you can hodge-podge S13 parts on, but the no OEM parts readily available is a killer.

I bought a 1988 Conquest for my first car, worst mistake ever. Just get a 240sx or a reliable shitbox.

t. entry level shit chassis owner.

enjoy your noodle chassis

>hodge-podge s13 parts
Mate it's not hard you just bolt them on....