Can you daily drive this or is this a weekend drive kind of car?

Can you daily drive this or is this a weekend drive kind of car?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/V1GtNfl7BS0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That old ass V12? Yeah you can daily drive it - if you’re a mechanic.

If you get the 840 with the V8 you can easily daily it

If you're rich or a mechanic, sure

How reliable/daily drivable are 7-series BMWs?

What makes it so unrealiable?

So it's all about the engine?

It's an old and complicated exotic car. Any one you buy will likely have considerable mileage and may not have been maintained well. Unlike with a Japanese shitbox, this is a big problem because there's lots of expensive things that can and will break on a car like this.

Electronics and 25 year old wires and modules way past their intended lifespan (Usually ten years).
And the engine is build like two sixes, each with their complete set of sensors and computers, plus extra computers for syncing them.

tl;dr, literally two engines sharing one crank.

Also, it's an old luxomobile, meaning lots of extras that also break.

Short on costs: A guy in the local 850 club restored one for $25k some years ago, and since then he has spent about $10k a year on bs parts to keep it in good shape.

Awesome cars tho.

yup stay away from the V12
get the 840i/840ci with the dead reliable V8

What kind of bs parts are we talking here? I can hardly imagine a BMW costing THAT much, unless you have the dealer do everything.

So the 840 has none of the problems?

youtu.be/V1GtNfl7BS0

This guy has a good explaination.

The v12 is literally 2x i6 strapped together. But it was drivable I guess.

it has other age related issues such as rust, worn bushings and cracked plastics, possible transmission problems but engine wise it should be fine.
i own a 540i with the same v8 engine as the 840, the engine is very good.

Dunno, didn't see his budget. This was to restore it to near-perfect condition, so I guess you could get away with less to just keep it drivable.

Taking a 750/850 to a dealer would be absolute madman, legit nightmare-stuff.

Does living in Germany make the situation better?

upkeeping German cars in Europe costs like 5 times less than in America so yes.

It's one of those cars you have to be a bit of an enthusiast to make it work. You'll need to join clubs/forums etc to find obscure parts and ways to repair stuff, and even then it can be a struggle since it was such a low volume car to begin with. You just can't bring the thing to any old mechanic and expect him to fix it.

Don't worry too much about getting the V8 or the V12. Sure, the V8 is overall "easier" to maintain, but the engines themselves were never the problem. It's the rest of the car and all its complexity as a whole that makes it nightmare tier to own.

Nothing. If you bought a good example it'd be a fine dd as long as you have money on hand for potential repairs.

>It's one of those cars you have to be a bit of an enthusiast to make it work.

So it would be a bad idea for a first car? lol

It will be a Project Car™, so yeah, unless you have some other kind of transport, I would advise against that.

I've been dailying old E32 and E38 7's for quite some time now, mostly the V12 ones.
Cross your fingers and hope to god that the electronics and suspension don't shit out, the engine while a bitch to maintain is not a problem. Those old V12's will probably run forever with just oil changes.

i learned to drive in one and an old nissan. Could work