Question about starting a clothing company

question about starting a clothing company

so a little while ago i bought a plain cotton hoodie and sewed a patch on it from a different company. people keep asking me where to buy the jacket. like a lot of people. i think there might be a market for my shitty low effort jacket. is it legal to buy these two separate items, combine them and then sell it under a new name? i know i would have to file to become my own business entity and tax stuff. but is that part legal? seems most companies just buy whole sale blank shirts add a little logo and sell it. is this any different? any advice is appreciated. i hope this is the right board for this. i dont want Veeky Forums they are weird

Post a picture of it

pls dont steal my company

but yeah this is all it is. it really is this simple

It's a fuckin rose m8 just redraw it holy shit.

hey man people seem to like it so im okay with it for now. if i made money i would probs hire an artist and make nicer things

sell it locally and you'll fly under the radar probably.

but if you make any money, make sure to hire an artist and make your own rose for the patch
normal people won't know the difference, but it's unique enough so they won't have a case for trademark issues

Dude, thats what business is all about. We all do illegal shit every fucking day.

Just on top of my head: torrent software, playing with your expenses etc.

Hustle is the only way to make money.

thanks man. ill probs just sell on social media right now. im 19 and kinda my age love this kind of stuff . hopefully it can spread

too late nigga hihi

hey man as long as we dont live too close to each other its good

no it's not good, I'm suing your twinkie ass

not before i sell my company trademark to someone else hehehe

IP attorney here. Short answer:

>is it legal to buy these two separate items, combine them and then sell it under a new name?
You didn't say where you are, but in all Western countries this is still infringement. If there is protection of course, but for clothes there usually is, either through design protection or copyright or unfair competition or...

You will not go under the radar. They will see you and you will have to pay. Clothing companies have sales people everywhere and they're trained to notify the company whenever they see infringement. Often times they even notify their competitors when they see something...

Do what some other user suggested, have something designed. Unless you're part of a mob group that has an organized counterfeit network (ability to disappear + don't mind losing a batch of products) it's not worth it.

i live in california, usa.

im not trying to do anything illegal so thank you. i want a legitimate structure. so if i buy wholesale then print my own design or make a custom patch. is that legal?

(note: I'm not a US attorney)

If your contract with the manufacturer allows it. Their general sales conditions generally don't, so you'll have contact them. Just send some manufacturers an e-mail saying what you want to do, how many you would need (always mention that you might order way more after kek) and ask for a price estimate.

They'll probably try to screw you over a bit with the contract and the sales conditions. If you have the funds and think you will sell enough to justify the cost, I would suggest having an attorney proofread the contract. If they say it takes more than 2 hours drop them.

(general thoughts on this, I might be overlooking something hugely important in US law...)

just seems like every jacket i own has a tag from the same two companies even if i buy it somewhere else. thank you for this. i might actually attempt this. never really done anything like this before

>just seems like every jacket i own has a tag from the same two companies even if i buy it somewhere else.
Band shirts? They have a deal with the labels (who own the rights to the band names and imagery but don't want to produce clothing themselves).

Another thing I've thought of: get a non-disclosure agreement off the internet and have people sign it before you disclose your design. The way to do this is: you fill out the NDA with all the info, except your design. You send it to them, ask them if they are okay with it. Then you fill it out in full and take it with you to the meeting.

dont know how well ill be able to pull this off for now. like i said im 19. im broke. i live with my mom so i have a home. but i only have a couple hundred bucks. im guessing the legal fees cost a lot? and i dont even know where to begin to look for any of these people. artists, lawyers, and all that. im alone in the water

Looks pretty groovy man desu

how much would you pay for something like this? $20? $25?

Nothing. I don't shop at good will

This is a cool design but it has been done about a thousand designs, try and put your own personal twist on the design this will set you apart from every other company that is putting this type of graphic on their apparel

a thousand times*

is it wrong of me to get into this mainly for an income? i like fashion and stuff but its not my passion. this will most likely fail anyways. but still. should i feel shitty?

i think maybe if i can get some money from this i will hire an artist i can constantly send new ideas too so the line just get bigger and bigger

Me and a friend are slowly starting our own label but if you are in the market for instant $$ gains you may aswell just quit while you are ahead. Be ready to lose money at first but if you put both time and work into the label you should eventually begin to see a decent profit if you stay persistent.

i understand it wouldnt be fast. i think it could be worth a shot

>a rose
Do you sell tampons too?

ecks dee

Yeah, not gonna lie. You need some funds. You can ask lawyers if they have a 'start-up rate'. Actually, use the word start-up as much as possible.

Where to look for these people: ask for recommendations from friends and family.