Dodge Challenger 5.7 For Gt Car

Hey Veeky Forumstists,

Im considering saving up a little cash for a down payment on a 2015+ manual Challenger RT with the 5.7 as a daily driver

I do alot of long distance driving where ill be driving for over five hours and want something that will comfortable but also fun. Not really worried about driving a heavy car. no toegays where i live but lots of highways.

I also want 4 seats because i might have a kid within a few years, and i'm not giving up my car for that.

Already have an SUV for family hauling that i'm going to keep.

So is the 5.7 shit? should i save money for the 392? i hear the suspension is harder in 392s for better handling which worries me. i want a smooth ride.

I personally like it but your about to get laughed off this board....

It's a good car for it. Interior may not be on parties with its European counter parts but you make up for in horsepower and price.

I would do it, fun for your a average dd. Plenty of power not like you need a track car, so the weight is fine. Most ppl here pretend its shit just because its a chrysler but all in all its all about keeping up with maintenance. Whatever makes you happy my man.

The Challenger is cool but the Charger is more practical in every way.

I don't understand, you need a comfy car because you drive for long distances...so why are you looking for a fucking 5.7 engine?

Since you have to go straight 100% of the time under the fixed speed limit why don't you buy something fuel efficient that is not wasted for your daily usage?

A Mazda 6 for example.

i agree with you on the practicality. however my vehicular autism makes me need muh manual and muh retro

because i don't want to daily somthing that boring. I'm looking for somthing that will be fun and interesting to drive. And i make enough money where the difference in fuel mileage is a non - issue.

im gonna get out and test drive one soon. i need to find out out if the interior is gonna be creaky and rattly because that will make me nuts. i noticed that the 2015 mustang was like that.

The 5.7 is ancient by todays standards. It was expected to be updated in 2015, but that didnt happen. The 5.7l Chally is slower than a V6 Camaro, so dont expect to a drag king. The 5.7 has a habit of dropping valves. I know two people that have had that happen to them with the 5.7l The 5.7l also has issues with timing chains. I dont know if they fixed it but you can look into it and it was an issue many people experienced.

Do it, get a DD you will enjoy. Don't listen to the faggot telling you to get a a fucking mazda 6

>needing to justify his Mazda purchase this badly

Yeah go ahead and buy yourself that piece of shit. Great purchase

Whilst justifying your own fucking Chrysler purchase. Kill yourself, hemi buy. We all know mopars are for faggots

Dude, I drive a 2016 Mazda 6. Even I know that anyone shopping for a fucking V8 Dodge Challenger would be completely disappointed by this car.

The Challenger is perfect for your needs. The 5.7 wouldn't be a power house but still plenty of fun. And like you said it'll have a soft comfortable suspension. A 392 would be a beast and hold it's value more, I doubt the suspension would be too uncomfortable and if you really wanted, you could swap shocks with someone with a 5.7 that would be more than happy to trade.

I have a first gen CTS-V that has a pretty stiff suspension and go on 500 mile road trips just fine. An alternative might be a 2009-2012 CTS-V if you can afford one. Magnetic ride suspension. But it's a Supercharged engine so mpg will suffer.

>Drives a fwd 2.5 liter
>Judging others

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>doesn't have a car

thats a good idea swapping the shocks out , im starting to see why people are suggesting the 392 over the 5.7. i guess what im looking for is a 4 seater grand touring car... for under 40 grand... wew lad

This thread is for adults

says the limp dick in the mazda 6... did your latte get cold?

>buys a Dodge
>"I'm an adult"

The 2nd gen CTS-V can be found under $40k, manual is available but pretty tough to find. What are your power ambitions? Just want a V8? The 5.7 is good. Want something that'll hold it's value and hold it's own with some competition or occasional track use? The 392 or CTS-V is a good call.

I would say the CTS-V would be more expensive to repair if things go wrong. It's supercharged, more complex suspension and features.

youre making a strong case for the cts-v... might have to chem them out too

I definitly want to hold some value so ill check out those options. V8 is a must

Test a Chevy SS. Yes it's a sedan and doesn't have the retro looks, but if your budget is $40k then that's probably your best bet for a semi-practical muscle car/GT car.

>slower than a V6 camaro

A manual 5.7 hits 60 in 5 seconds flat. A 2016+ v6 camaro auto hits 60 in 5.2. It’s close and the V8 challenger should be faster buts the camaro isn’t faster not does is sound nearly as good

Car and Driver ran them both at 5.1s to 60 and 13.7 in the 1/4 mile.

They're basically close enough that the difference is negligible in the real world.

In any case, the Challenger is the perfect car for that kind of usage. As far as ride is concerned... I dunno. IMO even stiff rides are fine depending on the kind of person you are. I daily a freaking WRX, for example, and while there are others who've complained that it's way too rough to me it feels good. I drove a Caddy XTS for a week and it felt completely numb.

The Challenger is a great car, but people on this board will hate on it because it's a Chad car and they're driving 1991 corollas. Why not the 6.4 though?

considering the srt a little more now but i was liking the price point of the 5.7, i could go a little older and get an srt but i really do like the 2015+ interior. the 2012 interior seems tolerable though if it means better engine

and the challengers chadness makes it so damn lovable.

Motor Trend ran their 2013 challenger R/T at 5.0 seconds. Regardless the V6 camaro isn't faster, which was my point

Chevy ss sedan is worth considering can be had manual for around that budget. I would consider it too. Yeah the challenger has the looks but the ss has the cool factor looking like an average sedan packing the balls and the seats. Try to find one and see which one you like best. The cts v is another good one as mentioned above. Its a hard choice whatever you go with keep us updated and tell us your experience.

Post car or shut up

Youre gonna want the srt after a while and the price difference isn't much if you're financing. I'd get the srt if you can feasibly afford it.

On the flip side I have an r/t Durango which is heavy as fuck and the 5.7 is quick and has plenty of power even in that boat.

ride comfort tends to be a personal preference
if you could test drive a scat pack vs a RT make your choice from there

The 5.7 has plenty of power for long road trips and its more than enough to get you arrested

Best bang for buck is the r/t scat pack. You get the 485hp 6.4L engine along with brembo's and some other goodies.

IDK how it is in the Challenger but the Durango interior was updated tremendously in 2014. When I bought my r/t I only looked at 2014 and up because of this.

Meant to say this in my post. You can tell by the steering wheel. The 2013 will have the old plastic square Dodge looking one. The 2014 and newer ones are much better looking imo.

Also the center information screen and the speedometer/odometer interface is higher quality in the 14 and up.

>muh manual
>muh retro

997 911

I had a rental 2015 V6. That was the comfiest car. Drove it from Sacramento to Reno and back, would do it again. It’s a great long haul car. It got damn 31mpg too but that was with the 8 speed auto.

horrible gas mileage

Disgusting.

It reminded me of the melting mercedes trend.

i actually like the flat/smooth panels of the challenger. i think its just too tall.

just throwing this out there to you I'd go with the 392 for sure, its not that much more money for alot more everything.

And btw you actually get decent mileage on the highway because it shuts off 1/2 the cylinders my cousin's r/t gets like 25 pretty much the same as my wrx

I have a 392 with stick. Stop and go rush hour traffic is meh, even though the car is comfy. Save for the 392, but get it in automatic. if you're doing highway miles mainly, its not like you'd be rowing gears with the manual. Plus the fuel savings with the automatic helps and it will shift faster than you can ever hope to. It does have paddles if you want to select gears yourself though. 2017 model has a slightly updated radio with android auto and apple car play, if you're prefer that sort of integration. Also do yourself a favor and get some 275 width tires instead of the stock 245. Atturo AZ850s are big with the dodge community. check youtube.

What kind of oil catch can is that on the PCV?

He said the previous owner installed it so I don't know.

The slightly older 6.1's is a good alternative to the 5.7, and you get the better shocks and breaks for nothing. I even prefer the older interior.

Also, this is the Diablosport catch can.

>It's a good car for it
it's GM.
GM is a pile of dog shit.

>Challenger is a GM product

Get the 392 or you’ll regret it

>GM
>challenger

What did he mean by this?

but can it used as daily? need a bigger car but dont want to give up on my coupe and i hear that challengers can haul around 4 relatively large people comfortably

>implying FCA is better than GM

Oh boy.

Tbh wish GM still made affordable V8 rwd sedans like FCA does with the charger and 300

Besides that though GM is a lot better quality wise.

>tfw no '96 Impala SS

Doesn't the Scat Pack come with soft as balls suspension, skinny tires but the good V8, at less than 40K? That might be your pick.

Why manual though, if you'll be doing long hauling? I can see the appeal, but it's not a nimble sportscar, and the ZF 8HP is really, really good.

what does this mean

If Dodge is so shit why have the Hellcats retained their value better than most cars?

>96 Impala SS
My guilty pleasure.

>but can it used as daily?
Easily.
If I can daily my Hellcat, then a srt/rt would have no issues. As far as confortably sitting 4 people, that's a toss up. My wife has a 2014 Charger and we can easily fit 4 people in it and have lots of room. As far as coupes are concerned, a Challenger would have more room than say a Mustang or a Camaro when hauling 4 people, but its still a coupe.