twitter.com/AnonBabble

the thread we deserve

gross thread for gross shitposters

>unity """""""programmers"""""""
holy SHIT

Is unity even programmable?

>unity
>programming
Shitposter please, unless you're a dev working on the engine itself, you're not programming shit with scripts.

??

Do you know what a programmer is?

Yes, I am one, that's why I'm asking how is unity programmable, is it some kind of addon script, is it modular so that you can code on some high level language like C# or is it full source code, that's what I'm asking, dumbass.

>t. """"programmer""""

>Yes, I am one
No, you are not.
You don't even have a game.
You're just a shitposter wasting everyone's time.

Reminder
>Amateur Game DESIGN General

Nobody here is a programmer, they've all become designers using engine editors.

post some pics/video of what you have so far

I can tell by this post this user will never make it.

Unity will dominate the world of gamedev

Popular != Good

is that what you tell yourself when you look at your sales

This is a bad thread full of hate.

Alright, this is looking good.
what do you guys think?
i guess i'm gonna make a game out of this,
and possibly kickstart it because free money and shits.

Also, point me a way to learn musics so i can compose one.
or at the very least teach me how to make sound effects.

Tell me all about your hit game which has sold so much thanks to the power of Unity.

Bitterness is just in our nature.

i like your pixel art if that is your art, but i think your bullets are coming out backwards.

Can we please talk about Unity 2017.1? It's better now guys.

yeah it's my own art,
and the perception is probably wrong too, but who cares.
a programmer can't draw for shit anyway.

And the bullets ain't coming out backwards.
that's how they look,
it's supposed to be a rectangular shape.
and i added a tail for it, so it looks like the tail is sharper.

I'm already enjoying 2017.2.

Gonna make the next Skyrim desu

Other thread seems dead, so I'll post it here too.

I spent way too long (like 2 days) modeling and rigging a first draft of the character for my game.

But whatever, I got it workable. Gonna make some key poses to block shit out better.
Also just feels nicer to use a real character instead of a capsule/box even when greyboxing everything else.

The next disappointingly lobotomized and casualized sequel to a once great series? Don't get too ahead of yourself there user.

I have a game, but I don't usually do games, retard, gamedevving is not the only sphere of programming, actually it's far from the most popular.

well my progress is all bug-stomping, so I guess I'll post this:
-- FIXED erroneous collision check calls when falling
-- FIXED erroneous scrolling when stuck between an enemy and a hard place
-- FIXED erroneous collision checks when rubbing up against the edge of the map

>I have a game
No you don't.

>gamedevving is not the only sphere of programming
So you're not even a gamedev, just a nodev wasting our post count. Get out.

I'd recommend you learn how to draw before trying to animate anything to begin with but
>programmer

tell me about any indie game that has sold thanks to the engine.

nobody cares what game an indie is using

about i tell you games that HASN'T sold thanks to the engine?

protips:
it's related to Unity

some successful games are powered by unity, its all relative to the dev doing the game

i have a game, but /agdg/ branded me as a whodev, cause I haven't posted progress, so I won't repost it again

if you're a whodev,
then you don't belong here.
kindly fuck off for your own sake

then why are you even here

cause I am ocassional on agdg, I just haven't posted progress, but would post progress on my next game

> want to shill my game
> haven't posted progress
> 'I will post progress on my next game I promise, just buy this one k'

AGDG doesn't play games. You are wasting your time trying to shill here.

>its all relative to the dev doing the game
Wrong. Unity is inherently flawed and those flaws cannot be easily fixed because closed source.

I didn't want to shill my game anymore, since whoever in agdg can buy a game anyway. I just argued with that fag that I have a game, I've posted it once and I won't post it again. That fag that thinks programming is only for games and it's something special to program games.

Is it possible to create a timer for a timer in Unreal? Or are there alarms like in Gamemaker?

I want to check a boolean variable every 0.01 seconds for 4 seconds. If that boolean is false I want it to do something. If it is true then I want the 4 seconds to reset back to 4.

I'm trying to make rechargeable shields. Right now in pic-related when the shield takes damage, it delays for 4 seconds and then recharges rapidly back to full. But if I take damage during those 4 seconds of delay, it doesn't keep track so it just recharges back to full even if I took damage just 1 second before it started to recharge automatically. I want that delay to reset the moment I take damage even during the delay.

can't you just make it everytime ur hit, set isHit to true, and countdown to 4?

>unity is not programmable
jetfistgames.com/portfolio/tiled-forward-plus-rendering
>replaced rendering pipeline
assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/79454
>replaced shadows
forum.unity3d.com/threads/segi-fully-dynamic-global-illumination.410310/
>replaced GI
assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/7135
>replaced animation system
github.com/sschmid/Entitas-CSharp
>replaced ECS

can your engine do ANY of these?

>countdown
First time hearing this term. How would I reset it back to 4 in the middle of the countdown? Is it another variable or is it an actual timer/alarm function in the engine?

why would you need another timer for that
if you take damage, at any point in time, set the timer to 0 and start counting, if the timer fills to full, start recharging the shields.

This is what I would like to do, but I'm coming from GameMaker so I don't even know how to access this function/feature or what it was even called. In Gamemaker they were called alarms but googling it for unreal didn't bring up anything. But now I have an idea of where to look. Thanks.

You need to sort out the logic of your system, because you got it backward.

> if shield == shield max
> shield full -> do nothing
> else
> if last damage taken < 4 seconds
> shield not full -> do nothing
> else
> recharge shield

Don't need another timer. Just check for damage in the last four seconds. If there there wasn't any, recharge.

Don't unreal and godot come with full source?

Any ideas on how to do platformer/metroidvania with a party?

have fun learning 200000 lines of spaghetti code to do something there is a nice clean well documented API for in unity.

There was a plan to add this feature to the aggydaggy tools site, but the user managing it disappeared.

Thanks, but I've got a long way to go before I can translate your post directly into blueprints. I have no idea how everything works yet, I'm still copying beginner tutorials and can only make minor adjustments to them for now.

Godot also literally just allows c++ extensions. You're right though that Unity has a far better ecosystem surrounding it. All I know is that I couldn't wrap my head around making a game in Unity and I can wrap my head around making a game in Godot. Its like in Godot no matter what it is I know what I'm looking at. When I watch a tutorial for making a 2D game in unity its like

>import this model with meshes, kinematic body 2D, apply this red marterial etc etc.
>Oh our scenes camera is here let me zoom out so I can show you this orthographic view.
>Time to load up this external code editor
>here's the code split into a million different namespaces and Unity specific syntax, you also need to make sure everything you use has all the components it needs to be useful.

In Godot everything just feels so much better to use for me and its all part of one package. You want a button that has a texture?
>TextureButton, you can apply a texture if you want but the button is fully renderable and functional without one.
>How do I use my own texture. oh theres a texture dropdown, okay I guess I just import a texture and something like a simple png if fine.
>But my button doesn't do anything!
>Oh apply events, ahhh I see, on_press probably does what I want, and on_hover also does what it says I bet too!

This is fun.

pic-related. Have them hooked together with you or even make it like sidescroller sonic games where they just follow you until you tag them in like in Donkey Kong Country. Or maybe control them separately like in GTA V or Resident Evil 0 and just reload the area you left them in when you switch to them. Have them share inventories to avoid the backtracking slog most metroidvanias force you through.

>that sword draw animation
yum

Blueprints are a mistake.

You will suffer long and hard, and make little progress if you don't learn how logic works first. The blueprint you posted shows your lack of logical thinking, mainly due to lack of experience with logic systems. Blueprints won't teach you this.

Stop playing around with UE4 and read this first:
mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/6515.pdf

Also, figure out your systems on paper first before putting them to code. Even experienced programmers working on new systems figure things out first before touching a keyboard.

This will greatly increase your efficiency.

I could live a thousand years and still never understand why people love Sonic.

>when I watch a tutorial
found the problem

My sudoku game is coming along. I can now generate easy puzzles.

Generating harder puzzles will be a struggle since a lot of advanced techniques rely on very strict definitions for rows and columns. I might work on the backdrop instead so that I can start advertising early.

I have no idea what's the blueprint trying to do.
but here's my way of doing a recharging shield
use a float timerCountdown
if(getHit)
{ timerCountdown = 4;}
if(timerCountdown

why the fuck are there two AGDGs god damnit

these were posted last thread and i didnt see them till thread was dead but

it wasnt just animation; since I had to do animation AND modelling I had no time to do anything else and I was extremely pressured to put out animations for characters while i was modelling other ones which put almost all of the artistic workload on myself

when i realized we needed ~1000 frames of animation per character and at least one character fully complete just for a substantial presentable prototype, I wasn't up to the task.

the new project gives me much more artistic freedom and leniency and I can focus more on modelling while I produce animations that can be reused as placeholder for every developed character.

it's also much more difficult to make a competent fighting game as an indie project considering the standards.

this isnt an issue of me hopping genres and giving up easily, it was just that we picked the wrong genre to start with

I hear you. I'd rather code everything like in GameMaker. But I just want to whip out a 3D game asap right now, been procrastinating for way too many years. No more distractions.

I'm already trying to juggle Blender, texturing in Photoshop, Unreal, and beginner C++, if I keep getting distracted by other stuff I'm never going to finish a game. I still need to go back and reteach myself algebra 1, so I'm not going to be learning proper programming logic or computer science anytime soon. I'm out of time.

Nigga, you 'aint out of nothing.

1MA is a meme. Choose a specialty and find a team. You are either a Manager, Programmer, Artist or Marketer. Focus on one and bring that to the table for a project.

Tell me about yourself, what are your qualifications, experience and skills.

> waste a human adulthood learning C#
> all the cool kids use Python
> don't know how to into Blueprint so I can't get /v/buxx
> LUA is for pedos
> Ruby_on_Rails is for trannies

We lost sight of God when we moved from BASIC

Parappa the Rapper is a silly game

but the driving lesson song is so damn good

Every language aside from Assembly/C/C++ is a waste of time.

>1MA is a meme
Tell that to Stardew Valley Dev, RRPS dev, Risk of Rain dev, Cavern Kings dev, etc.

IT'S TOO FUKING HOT FUUUUUUUUUUUUK FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK

>RRPS dev
you win, I was triggered

The skunk over here will bring you luck
The pump over here comes with a truck

>Assembly
>not a waste of time

> not wanting to learn how to bully people

it's also a silly anime
youtube.com/watch?v=dLoyvnNGwD8&list=PLNxVGC8CbRu4-TgycMWgEM8YD05FdMd6N

Mediocre. All of them. They have been successful but they are mediocre game. Is your goal mediocrity?

You forgot to divide this number by all the attempted 1MA games. After doing this, you'll come to quite a different conclusion.

>waaahh wahhh i don't like it so it's bad
>Wahhhh

You want to sit in a basement for 6 years making a game? Go right ahead.

Game dev is extremely time consuming and having a team makes it that much quicker bringing a product to market. Darkest Dungeon with a team of 6 took 4 years of development from start to finish.

For a single person to bring a game like Darkest Dungeon to market would take more than 2 decades.

Risk of Rain is extremely simple in its design and execution. The majority of games on AGDG are overscoped compared to RoR. Unless you are reskinning a tutorial or completed game, development is going to take 5+ years.

If you are doing a 3D game you are going to need a team. No two ways about it.

welp, LD is filled with shit themes AGAIN

>Darkest Dungeon with a team of 6 took 4 years of development from start to finish.
And it's fucking trash and any competent person could've solo'd that in a year.

>project wingman

this.
i can't believe it's made by a 6 man team but still took them 4 years.
they better be not doing it full time and 4 of them are slacking most of the time.

Have any decent games been written in python? It's all I know. Should I bite the bullet and learn C#?

pygame is pretty basic and you could get away with quite a lot with it.
Down to you if you make something decent. Language doesn't matter as much as AGDG will make your believe

Both of those are for plebs. If you really care about being a game designer and making a good game, then you will have to choose the language that will give you the wings to pursue your love. Do C and then C++ if you love game design. Do C# or JS if you don't love it.

write in python
repeat as you want:
benchmark and identify bottlenecks
drop to C at those points

Redpill me on roguelikes

>tfw no (You)s from yesterday

:(

@183770448
:^)

What was the post?

I can't tell you, I have self-respect.

It's not a game. It's a tech demo. Game constitutes game systems. Just flying a plane around is not a game.

Fuck off. It's a unique concept. There was a great deal of research and development required.

This is what you fuckers don't get. Original games take development time. All your fucking castlevania clones, tutorial reskins and shmups aren't new or original. All the groundwork is done for you. All the ideas have been developed for you. You are just putting the pieces together in a different way and calling it something new.

This place is just amateur hour. You guys have no fucking idea. Talk big all the time and show 'progress', but it's only going to be forgotten a few months from now when you lose motivation and drop the project.

Amateur doesn't mean being shit, it means learning how to be good. Stop acting like you know everything, just fucking learn how to do things right.

There is nothing in Darkest Dungeon that could not have been produced in Flash over the course of a month or two minus the kino art.

This /real suicide/ hours ment for true autism poststing

>it's not a game
that's not an argument

tl;dr

shut the fuck up nodev, keep sucking off your fav indies

Where's your game?

are you looking for an artist?