>look under hood
>coolant tank empty
>hose leaking
>mrw I could look like paul walker

>not recognizing the smell of burning coolant

you are tarded OP

>engine bay is smoking
>keep driving on it

You deserve to lose your car, turn the heater on max and pull over you fat fucking loser

>Grand Cherokee
>Post regular Cherokee

You should have just stopped driving as soon as you noticed smoke but I'm glad you stopped successfully despite that.

Depends on the engine.
I drove a 4.0 for about 5 minutes when my coolant hose broke.

>Be me
>Start noticing XJ's temp gauge going a little above 210F sometimes
>Pull over and see tiny wisps of smoke, distinct smell of coolant, get up in there and see tiny wet spot coming from weep hole on water pump
>replace water pump and everything else in cooling system except radiator and heater core
>super flush system 8 times until water comes out crystal clear
>XJ runs perfectly at ideal temperature, give her new spark plugs as early Christmas present for being a good girl
>4.0 loves me back and keeps running forever

It will go above 210 for a second if you live in the south. Then the efan kicks on for 30 seconds.

> 2000 xj
> Paid 1k for
> New cooling system
> Replace head
> New sparkplugs etc.
> GA summer eFan in traffic.

> Please love me forever XJ

Also have a 2000. What coolant ratio do you run in the summer? A lot of people do a 25/75 in really hot places. You doing a stock 195F t stat? Anyway, what head did you get? Was it cracked, or were you just getting nervous?

you retard you just killed a perfectly good 4.0.

Why the hell didn't you pull over at the first sign of smoke? Dumbass

I thought 2001 had the cracked heads

>Cherokee with problems
Seriously what's new? Everyone should know by now that these are tremendous shitboxes. Jeep reliability is a meme.

that xj was too good for you stick to tiburons from now on

>sees smoke
>does not pull over to investigate
???
last time I saw smoke it was just an oil soaked rag catching fire to the wiring loom
no big deal

Nervous,
50/50 green, I did 4 flushes to clear the block
Stock tstat

I'm contemplating a 1UZ swap since they are dirt cheap but that's neither here nor there. It's just a weekend fun Jeep on a 3 inch lift and cut fenders for 33s

Late '99 to '01. And they didn't all crack, but the odds were very good if you didn't maintain the cooling system well. Crack always appears between cylinders 3 and 4. Story goes the original foundry either used shit cast iron or the casting process was flawed, resulting in some kind of internal stress that usually cracked between 100-150k miles. Mid-2001 Chrysler quietly moved the head casting contract to Brazilian foundry Tupy. Those heads are on some of the 2001 4.0's, and have no known issues. The Tupy stamp will be right under the oil fill cap on the vale cover. I'm always curious about what replacement heads people used because there are several ways to go.

Clearwater maching makes one, most people just find TUPY 0331 heads.

In my case I just found a tupy

How long were you looking for the tupy head? Clearwater has some really weird fucking reviews floating around out there. Apparently they were selling new remans made by now defunct Alabama Cylinder Heads, and every now and then they send somebody a bullshit rebuilt one. I'm finding clues that alabama is now Promaxx though. Anybody out there can confirm that? Shopping for 0331 heads fucking sucks. I just want one around for piece of mind.

Spent a week hoping from Junkyard to junkyard. Also Craigslist works well, took it to a machine shop and had it decked etx.

>owns jeeps cherokee
>read OP story
>Sold cherokee

Essentially that is story of my life when I owned a cherokee. Best decision of my life to sell it, all of my money got dumped into that thing cause it kept over heating every other week no matter what I did. Took forever to save enough money (600 usd) to find a another vehicle.
>current vehicle, 1991 nissan sentra gxe

Most reliable fucking care I've had. I did some maintenance.

>New battery
>new alternator
>new tires
>new rotors
>new brake pads

total of... 600 for all of that I was spending that every month to keep the jeep going.

This was 3 years ago.

Jeeps sucks.