What is the likelihood of losing my money completely if I invest in a Money Market Fund?

What is the likelihood of losing my money completely if I invest in a Money Market Fund?

What is the risk?

Is this a good place to put my emergency fund/savings of $10,000, which requires liquidity and a low risk-investment?
I still want to get the highest interest rate I can for these requirements.

Anyone?

Is putting my emergency money into a Money Market Fund a good idea?

You don't "invest" in a money market fund. It's basically just a glorified savings account with a slightly higher APY.

No dumbass. Keep it for emergencies.

You sure you don't mean Money Market Account?

I thought money market funds were similar to mutual funds but with only positive returns.

Is there a better option to put my emergency money into then?

What would you say is the risk of losing my money in a money market fund?
I realize it happened to a few people but they say the odds of losing money with it are extremely low.

Why though?

Money market funds are completely liquid and can be withdrawn from at any time easily.

Right now I can get a Savings interest rate of 1.11% APY.

How much of my money should I put into that savings and how much should I put into low-yield safe investments, like money market funds?

Do you have any other virtually safe investments that are higher than Savings but still liquid? (so no CDs)

>You sure you don't mean Money Market Account?
I think it's the same you're basically buying dollars. It's not fdic insured but it is pretty safe.

Is it worth dumping all my savings into, or should I put a percentage of it into it?

That "pretty safe," if we were to quantify it, would you say it's like 99% safe?

Do you know of any other similar investments that I'm not aware of which could have a higher return for the same risk and liquidity?

I'd really appreciate it if you could just answer these questions since I'm trying to decide to do this today.

100% due to inflation

What do you mean?

100% risk due to inflation?

All I really want is a way to quantify the risks associated with Money market funds so I know how much of my savings to dump into it.

money market fund or money market account are basically cash. You cannot lose that 10k
is referring to 100% inflation risk, if inflation is higher your 10k is still 10k but it can buy less shit

Ok, makes sense.
With that in mind, is there any investment which is liquid enough but still safe which has a higher return, enough to account for the interest rate difference?

Is there any way to quantify the risk associated with the money market fund not being FDIC-insured (say, 99.9% chance of keeping my money, just a guess)? I realize how petty this might be, I just want to know because it seems like there's a lot of conflicting information about this.

I'm assuming you are young. The greatest rate of return will be if you invest in yourself so you can either start a profitable business or get a good job. Don't worry about investing. If you aren't putting that money to use, or planning to, then you are doing something wrong.

Odds are basically zero. During the financial crisis some funds "broke the buck" where the shares were worth less than $1 which should never happen (they had Lehman commercial paper which is super short dated debt with slight interest which of course was worth nothing after their bankruptcy). They've changed the regulation last October to make it technically possible for some money market funds to fluctuate. But for you to lose ALL your money? Chances are very slim. I think you're good to go.

CDs can have higher rates but they are locked in for a period of time and you can't withdrawal without a penalty.

If you want more return you're going to need to take on more risk: stocks etc etc

I have a pretty good job and I'm looking where to invest our emergency fund. Thank you though.

Ok so essentially 0% for losing all my money.

But for losing a little bit of money, I'll say the chances are "very low". Ok.

Ok. I have other money for higher risk investments. I just want to make sure the money which is for emergencies only, and therefore requires liquidity so I don't think a CD would work, is getting the most I can out of it. Cause right now it's sitting in a Wells Fargo savings account and isn't earning shit.

Thank you for this information, it's very helpful.

>1%
you may as well dump it on a loan company for 4-9% return.

How do I do that and how safe is it?

you p2p lend and read the clients info before taking a share.

Not OP, but im currently studying and in a pretty solid financial position.
Going to drop 5k on crypto, farma and military