How much on average would annual maintenance be on a 2003 BMW 330i?

How much on average would annual maintenance be on a 2003 BMW 330i?

1000-4000 euro, depends on condition you get it in

$500 a year US

forgot to mention it has 50k miles

this is accurate. the older it gets the faster it will start to really cost a tonne. if you want a BMW you should only lease it.

with 50k miles tho? seriously?

yes, 50,000 miles is about the point at which they begin to slide. This is most likely the reason someone is selling the car that your looking to buy. The newer 2000 and up BMW and Mercedes cars were not built for lasting quality.

Doesn't matter all the plastics and rubber pieces degrade over time heating up and cooling down. Like tires only have 7 years of life from date of manufacturing after that they start to tear or crack

according to carmax this was done by the dealer:

Emblem replaced
Oil and filter changed
Cabin air filter replaced/cleaned
Vehicle washed/detailed
Grille replaced/repaired
Lights checked
Cooling system checked
Idler pulley replaced
Vacuum hose(s) replaced
Battery/charging system checked
Fluids checked
Air filter replaced
Drive belt tensioner replaced
Stabilizer bar links replaced
Emissions or safety inspection performed

is it still going to be expensive to maintain?

it's just so sexy i want it so bad :(

Wrong. If the vehicle was properly maintained, you have no issues. That said, save $500 for the 60000 mile service and $2,000 for the 90,000 mile service. Make sure you know a good indie shop, because anyone else will fuck it up. You can easily get 250,000 miles from these i6 engines

Does anyone know how much an F30 335i would cost yearly on upkeep, and at what mileage they start going downhill?

incorrect. It does not matter how well a car like this is maintained. parts will fail and when they do they will cost a fortune in parts and labor to fix. in fact OP has proven my point here
after 50,000 miles look at all the parts that failed that should not have and would not have in a different car

now OP, it sounds like this car has been in a wreck by the replacement of the grille and the emblem. you do not want this car. there may be some minute fractures in the frame or other components that will flare up and essentially turn the car into scrap.

as I said, if you want a sexy BMW then get a lease on a new model.

thanks man, you just saved me $30k

about the same as the OP's car.

no problem

You were going to pay 30k for a 15 year old car?
Are you fucking kidding me right meow?

i was going to pay 18k and then i was guessing 12k in maintenance

18k is still absolutely haram for a car of that age. BMW and Mercedes of that age go for something like 6k to 7k here.

it has 50k miles and it's a ZHP 330i, which is a """""rare""""" package

> 6k to 7k here

where do you live, fucking Berlin?

Did you even pull up the KBB or NADA?
Do you even know how to buy a used car?
Go get a honda from Costco because you are gonna lose your fucking ass otherwise.
You are not smart enough for the used car market.

It should cost around 3-5k euro, not 18.
I have 2002 e39, bought for 2k and invested 2k in 1,5 years.

That's not as bad as I was expecting.
What's up with the german money pit meme then?

it's a conspiracy to keep poor people from buying good cars

>It does not matter how well a car like this is maintained. parts will fail and when they do they will cost a fortune in parts and labor to fix. in fact OP has proven my point here
Complete and utter bs, I’ve been dailying an 07 e60 for years and the most expensive thing I ever had to do was change the water pump for $300. Otherwise it’s routine maintenance and that’s why it hasn’t had any problems at all, sitting at 100k miles now.

If you think maintaining a car well has no affect on longevity simply because it’s german then you really don’t know much about cars in general.

>water pump for $300
That barely covers an aftermarket part much less install

>Water pump for 300$

you americans are either fucked in the head or dollar value is about the same as couple of sticks you pick up off the floor. E60 pump is 70 euro at best, you have to be a moron to buy original

Install isn’t hard

This is the price for an aftermarket metal one. Our wages aren’t low so actually that’s not much money here. Our economy is a bit inflated.

>a bit

your talking about parts and service for a european car in america. are you too retarded to understand the economics of import and markets?

>
If you think maintaining a car well has no affect on longevity simply because it’s german then you really don’t know much about cars in general.

and if you think the fact that a car is German has no effect on the price of your maintenance/repairs when comparing to comparable domestic or Asian cars then your clearly deluding yourself.

you need a lesson on the value of money.

>What's up with the german money pit meme then?
Poorfags are retarded. They buy upmarket vehicles and run them into the ground, and then they complain about it not being as good as a Corolla.

Then they do the same with whatever appliance they replace their now trashed 3 Series/CLA-Class/A3 with.

Asian parts aren’t cheap here either, unless it’s your bottom shelf honda/toyota econobox. Sure if I were dailying a 550 or m5 at this mileage I’d be worried about it but the inline 6 engine is trouble-free and can last a very long time without any major work.

>Our wages aren’t low so actually that’s not much money here.

he says from his parents basement, having freshly opened his neetbux cheque for his 'disability'. His legs exploded many years ago from a diet of tendies and cola, he now shitposts on Veeky Forums all day, never truly understanding the world around him.

Nice shitpost, here’s your reply.

It just all seems so pants on head retarded to me.
Like, 300 euro got me:
EGR valve replacement + cleaning of it
New Oil
Air leak fix ( a bit of a hole in the intake, just part and 2 minutes of work)
Oil sump gasket replace
Oil filter gasket replace

Thats 300 euro, pretty much parts and job at the mechanics.

For example, changing pump on mine was like 50 euro part, 10 euro job.
Clutch was 150 euro part + 100 euro job.

if your assuming that its only the engine on a car that must remain trouble free for a car to remain out of 'money pit' status then i have some bad news....

>Poorfags are retarded. They buy upmarket vehicles and run them into the ground, and then they complain about it not being as good as a Corolla.

sorry for assuming that a car 3 to 4 times the price of a Corolla should be 3 to 4 times the quality

now ask yourself how much the parts and labor for a repair on an American made, high end car in your country would be.

Labor costs are pretty inflated here, especially if it’s something perceived as a luxury car. Doesn’t matter how easy the job is. Also parts are more expensive than in Europe probably because there’s a lower supply of them and less competition between merchants.

I’ve saved a lot of money by just doing things myself, bmw’s aren’t even hard to work on, the I6’s anyway.

it's simple you retards

in america, BMW = luxury

luxury = bill more for labor

europe doesnt have this problem

I was assuming that a car barely costing me any money to keep running perfectly is what removes it from money pit status; feel free to keep moving goalposts though.

Labor here would probably cost same as american cars are easy to work on usually, tons of space under the hood.
Dad had Tahoe, parts were a bit steepish, fucking gas struts for rear door were like 60 euro a pop which is kinda a lot of a fucking gas strut. Sold it after it shat its gearbox out after the second time he had rebuilt it.

Like idk how it is in usa, but for example my cousin who lives in russia, had cadillac CTS.
Sold it cus it was super hard to maintain, no parts except original available which you had to order and wait for a long time too.

Old bmws are expensive desu only if badly maintained which they usually are. All problems pile up and you have to fix all at once which seems expensive. I have 520 m54b22, and in 2k I invested in it, I have basically fixed everything. I think my dual mass flywheel needs replacing but its expensive and i can live with it kicking slightly

seals and gaskets are probably going bad

> lives in russia
>american car is expensive

> live in america
> german car is expensive

are you noticing a pattern here?

That is the same reason why american muscle cars and high performance cars are way less popular in Europe. There’s not much infrastructure for getting the right parts, at least from what I’ve heard. Meanwhile in America it isn’t hard to find parts for European cars, they’re just more expensive.

It sounds like you have honest mechanics. Here it doesn’t matter how easy or hard the job is, they will charge you more for a european or luxury japanese car, no matter what. This is why I’ve learned to just do things myself; a blessing in disguise.

this. so much this.

it would seem that you are resting on the laurels of your own good fortune, owning a car that is expensive to maintain and fix yet you have not had to fix anything. But that is not indicative of many German car owners experiences here in North America.

but when your car does fuck up (and it will) I hope you post about it here....

And it would seem you have some irrational vendetta against German cars when plenty of other people like me say they’re perfectly fine to daily and really aren’t expensive to maintain unless you’re an idiot who abuses the car and neglects it. The truth is it really depends on the model. 535 or 550? Problematic. 525/528/530? They can easily live forever. It has way less to do with the car being German and everything to do with how the specific model is configured. I really don’t believe in spooky German voodoo causing cars to randomly collapse, feel free to keep that belief though. I’ve been enjoying this car for 3 years now and haven’t regretted buying it for a minute. The only thing that can go wrong is the transmission but I haven’t neglected or abused it so I’m not worried.

famous last words: the post

That car is worth maybe 6-9k. Maintaining any bmw requires you to set aside 2-5k yearly if you can't work on it yourself. They are over engineered and the motor will last but everything around it will fall apart. They will last if taken care of. I've seen an e46 m3 with 300k miles on it. I have 120k on mine and it has never let me down.
That being said, I have spent about 2k over two years making sure that it doesn't.
You should buy a Honda.
PS don't listen to these broke ass bus riders they know nothing.

you're contradicting yourself

you spent 2k over 2years but on average you think itll cost 2-5k yearly?

which is it dude?

he said to set that aside, not necessarily that you will use it all in any given year. He contradicted nothing.

>1-5k to upkeep a 3 series
Lmao wat?
I own an e46 and i've spent exactly 100 euros in 2 years for an oil and filter change and thats all.

Seriously don't bother, OP. Routine maintenance is generally expensive for most BMW models 'round this time, and when real shit breaks the cost is astronomical. They're not all that reliable, even when maintained.

I dont see control arm bushings replaced on there and those are always cooked.
Also propeller shaft rag joint is has not been replaced and those are usually ready to be replaced, what about fuel filter and fuel pump. If they havent been replaced already then they are gonna need it soon. Cooling system checked at 50 thousand means its gonna need a new expansion tank by 60 thousand, valve cover gasket? Oil filter housing stand gasket? Trans mounts diff mounts? Windshield trim. Shifter linkage bushings . The list goes on & on .

18k for a 90’s Acura nsx or a twin turbo 6 speed supra would be a steal and i would do it in a second, but thats talking about cars that are actual classic cars worth keeping forever, not a disposable plastic BMW.

i spend 800 last year for whole front and rear suspension. some can still be fix/repair/recondition (like oil on 4 shock absorber, control arm, plastic boot, short tierod) but I replace whole thing.

Had 2002 E46 318ci

Mine was really strange, everything made of plastics or rubber was disintegrating and this is what made maintenance nightmare compared to Civic I had before it.

Didn't matter if part of engine or interior, there was always something broken and cycle never ever ends. This is on top of regular stuff that break on older car.

Also had vanos problems (ever heard of v-tec failing?) and some random shit.

This thing exhausted me so much (and I was used to shitboxes) that it made me buy new Ford Focus.

I just wanted new car.

Would still do it if I had garage but I live in apartment and parking lot repairs get old after some time.

None of this shit on my 2000 318ci
Your 318 comes with probably the worst bmw engine ever - N42

How are N55 335i's, historically?

Had issues with most random things like window would just fall into door one morning, headliner and everything made of textile would separate and sag, all the rubber around windows rotted away.

Last straw was cracked expansion tank, tried getting it off and then some hose joint cracked, went to scrapyard got "new" on, shit cracked again. Went to dealer, nope, you can't buy it without a hose so it ended being 200€ part. In the end I just epoxied the shit out of expansion tank.

I've noticed German cars in general have lots of issues with materials. Even my GF's relatively new Polo has issue with peeling of that "soft touch" layer on plastics and everything is brittle and cracky, ecu bracket just snapped in half while I was replacing cracked hoses for windscreen washer nozzles. Such shit never or rarely happens on Japanese cars.

the only issues on my 318ci are a worn driver's seat (the car has 380.000km/240k miles) and some noise in the front suspension that needs sorting
everything else holds up just perfectly
maybe e46's became shittier in 2002?
I also own a 1998 E39 540i which also holds up perfectly, i replaced one rear wheel bearing and I do regular oil changes, that's all.

Car max does not sell cars older than 2006 on lot. Stop lying.