How much does skill at driving simulator games translate to real life driving?

How much does skill at driving simulator games translate to real life driving?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0p_sCrM1CcI
youtube.com/watch?v=1yJBXcxRTZY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I played Fortsa motorsporks 4 and i tuned up a GMC Typhoon and BTFO some nSXs with it on Tsukuba. i wonder if i could do that in real life...

>GT4
>A simulator
Absolutely none.

Actual sims like assetto corsa have pretty good wheel ffb along with great physics but you cant emulate g forces that you feel irl

I've almost never seen an FF car in a game that can actually lift off oversteer.

Depends how good you are.

You might as well just do a few training courses at a local track or a kart circuit. Driving is a very hands-on thing, vidya doesn't give you a real appreciation for all the theory it tries to shove down your throat. Driving lines, braking points, throttle balancing, all make far more sense when you can really feel and hear what's happening beneath you.

Zero. A 10 million dollar simulator still can't replicate what driving a $500 car feels like. The only thing they can be useful for is learning tracks but that's about it.

Quite alot. Racing lines, general theory of all racing, dealing with other competitors, track layouts, how to handle corners, how to brake and accelarate etc.
Pmuch almost everything except actually driving because even if someone made a sim that simulated every single fucking particle in a race it would still be inaccurate since you are not subjected to the feedback you get from racing nor the fear of dying.
Racing has helped me quite a lot to reduce my irl laptimes and not faggy ass cone dodging either.
And don't play from cockpit or front or any view where you can't see the car unless VR since the game gives you 0 feedback on what the car is doing even with ffb wheel

Wrong and benchracer pretending to be hardcore motherfucker by parroting retarded boomer memes.

Should you even bother playing with a normal gamepad?

I bet you think a fleshlight is "like the real thing" too, huh?

I'll bite and give you a real answer.

Real physics simulators are pretty good at learning the motions of car control. How to utilize the wheel, countersteer, approaching turns, using your pedals, left foot braking.. and learning tracks.

It translates, as seen here;
youtube.com/watch?v=0p_sCrM1CcI
youtube.com/watch?v=1yJBXcxRTZY

TLDR, dude wins at iracing and gets a ride in a real open wheel race car. His times are pretty good, but the g-forces make him puke.

So, yes. Simulators can teach you to understand the driving characteristics of real race cars, like how they spin very easily, understeer/oversteer, braking points, many many things. If you get technical, it can teach you about driving characteristics in relation to car setups. But, the real thing is much more difficult and takes a lot of in-car practice to master.

This just makes me feel good knowing that proper simulators are close to the real thing, and gives me more satisfaction using them. I don't feel that I'm prepared to race cars, but I definitely have learned a lot from using them.

>tfw I will never know what its like to pull 5g's in an f1 car

How much does a set up like this cost?

Almost nothing. If you actually want to get good at driving, you have to actually put your ass on the line.

Why? You can't feel the car moving around with the butt of your ass.

few grand

>assetto corsa

Not much kek

Pretty much this. It's great for theory, and more importantly as long as you're not a colossal retard it won't make you *worse*.

If you have ever driven a real car with any anger you have a good enough idea of what forces are being encountered merely extrapolating from the movement of the camera. Most good racing sims communicate the necessary feelings of lateral forces and yaw very well through the movement of the player's camera. Pair that with force feedback and appropriate sound design and you get a highly realistic experience.

He had a pretty intense training program in between winning a Gran Turismo tournament and actually racing.

Almost none, it's a video game.

What the fuck?

Aside from any of the legitimate feedback from tires and traction level, countersteering resistance, constant g forces and a true understanding of load transfer there is absolutely plenty to learn from a simulator. Gran turismo, asetto corsa, r factor are good ones to learn from. You can learn driving lines, how to find the apex, brake and accelerator/throttle control. Even if you aren't using a wheel controllers have variable triggers so you can control this.

You're going to be faster the smoother you are. Gradually turn into the corner, listen for tire squeal. If you're squealing you're losing traction which means you're losing speed. Light on the brakes coming into the turn, you don't want to be hard on the brakes and lock the car up or upset the balance in the cars movement. Braking forces cannot be used for turning forces. If you're coming into a turn too fast, pump or touch and go on the brakes through the turn to adjust your exit. Accelerate when you make it through the apex. Start gradually then open wide when you're straightening out.

read up and watch videos on racing theory, go to a go kart track and implement what you've learned for real feedback, practice until you can throw a cheaper car around on a track day. Go karting is cheap and easily accessible. Some of the best drivers in the world started learning how to race from karting.

Yeah, that helps my point. He had to learn to actually drive a race car after winning a contest in a video game.

>Aside from any of the legitimate feedback from tires and traction level, countersteering resistance, constant g forces and a true understanding of load transfer

So literally every single aspect of performance driving can't be replicated with a simulator? I can tell you've never driven a real car. I bet you people think you're ready for battle because you play COD too. You'd shit your pants instantly in the real world, same if you try to go flat out in a real car.

>A 10 million dollar simulator

There are a couple hundred thousand dollar simulators than can easily do that job. Plenty of F1 teams use them. Such a stupid statement.

$500 dollar DIY simulator and Asseto Corsa aint shit though.

Nigga said 10 million dollar simulator can't replicate a $500 dollar car. LMAO

suck my dick from the back binch nigga

How do we know you aren't a benchracer claiming it is beneficial? I can see it helping you learn a track but sitting behind the wheel of an actual car is not the same as sitting on your couch or a Recaro seat mounted in front of 3 monitors.

I know people with $50k Golf simulators which don't come close to the real thing and that just banging a ball around. You aren't going to learn shit from a $500 driving simulator. Like I said before. Professional drivers only use simulators to learn tracks not gain driving skills. Grow up kid and get some big boy toys.

A lot, I learned just about everything I know about driving from GOAT Turismo 4.

Didn't some Gran Turismo champion just become a driver for Nissan? I think they are good for learning the theories behind it, but nothing beats the real thing.

They also have cyclists as their drivers. They just happen to be good at real life driving.

it can help with memorising corner arcs and sequences of some tracks
but other than that nothing really
as there is so much not accounted for

Not really a great "sim" but beamng drive does a good job of it.

>2009: Disney buys Marvel
>2012: Disney buys Lucasfilms
>2017: Disney buys 21st Century Fox
>2019: Disney buys Paramount Pictures
>2022: Disney buys Universal Studios
>2027: Disney attempts to buy Warner Bros, Warner Bros tells them to fuck off
>2028: Disney, being highly pissed off, acquires their own private military
>2029: Disney storms headquarters of Warner Bros, killing many, and taking the company by force
>2032: Disney buys nukes from black market terrorists
>2034: Disney buys Microsoft
>2036: Disney declares war against the entertainment industry
>2037: Skirmishes between private militaries occur in Hollywood and other places around the country
>2038: Disney nukes Hollywood
>2044: Disney buys the United States of America
>2045: Disney reorganizes the American government into a totalitarian dictatorship, deemed "The People's Republic of Disney"
>2047: People's Republic of Disney moves to annex Mexico and Canada with the military might of Mickey Mouse
>2051: PRD buys celestial bodies such as the moon and Mars
>2056: PRD colonizes Mars
>2059: PRD colonizes rest of the solar system
>2064: PRD starts construction of Dyson Sphere in the Sol System
>2075: PRD scientists discover a form of FTL space travel
>2078: First PRD voyage to Alpha Centauri system is successfully completed
>2079: PRD successfully establishes a one world government
>2080: PRD sends millions of military warships out throughout the galaxy, conquering extraterrestrial life on every planet and solar system
>2092: Dyson Sphere in Sol System is complete
>2100: PRD reaches type 3 civilization status, creating a Galactic Dictatorship under the people of Disney
>2104: Marvel and X-Men fans are still excited about new movies

This.
Theyre horrible at conveying any sense of speed in comparison to reality.

you have terrible reading comprehension skills

i don't dislike this timeline

>Wheel angles don't match