Where can I learn intermediate/advanced driving technique? Like how and when to brake, which lines to pick...

Where can I learn intermediate/advanced driving technique? Like how and when to brake, which lines to pick, what to do with the accelerator during a turn, things like that. I'm planning on doing track driving and not suck too badly.

Other urls found in this thread:

drivingfast.net/tackling-corners/
vimeo.com/145242864
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadcraft
youtube.com/watch?v=xQRmYMlmdqM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You're going to be quite limited with what you can safely learn outside of a track. Start with backroads,
>try to pick the least bumpy one you can find, those bumps are dangerous af if you hit them at 80mph on a hard turn
>don't to hard at all at first, get a feel for your vehicle and the way its suspension works
>learn the balance of your car and when your tires are about to lose grip, then steadily speed up
>braking is very trial and error-y, which is why I don't do hard braking on back roads, an error on a race track is a flat patch of grass or sand, an error on a windy mountain pass is a plunge to the bottom of the mountain.
Nothing can beat actual seat time because you're not really limited by safety concerns on the track, everything is set up to be pretty safe. That being said I always abide by 2 back roads rules, no blind double yellow crossing, and I don't break 100mph ever because of deer.

Learn what it means on paper first.
Theory -> Practice

Go to a racing school.
It's a chunk of change but they do teach you a lot.

A lot of track days can/do provide you with exactly that. If they don't specifically mention it, ask since there are usually instructors there. They'll teach you the track: things to line up on going into a turn, where to brake, where to put the car, etc. Based on their perception of your ability, they'll up the level of instruction (which should increase your pace) unless they don't think you have the fundamentals down yet.

Usually after one or two sessions like that, they should let you go out on your own and then you can try applying what they taught you, or if you think they sucked, you can try what you think is the right way.

Last track day I did was at a track I had never been on (not even in a video game) so I asked an instructor to ride with me. It helped a lot to learn some of the specifics, then I rode in his Z06 so he could show me what he was talking about, then I tried to apply all that on my own for the rest of the day.

>learn the racing line (inside, outside, inside), inside line (shortest distance) if you're not on the limit of grip, outside sometimes for setting up corners, and it also depends on the track layout
>learn techniques like trail braking, rev matcing, heel-toe, etcetera
>try to be smooth with steering input
>if you scandinavian flick, you're going to oversteer
>braking too hard in a corner will cause you to oversteer
>going into a corner too fast will cause you to understeer
>turning too sharply will cause you to understeer (or oversteer, depending on the car)
>brake in the straight befor the corner, you can brake harder in these areas, as opposed to corners
>the later and harder you brake, the longer you can stay on the throttle in straights, and the faster your lap time, but if you brake too hard or too late, bad things will happen
>if there're no straights to brake in, use corners to set each other up
>if you have to brake in a corner because you'll be entering the next corner too fast, use a light brake and maybe change your line, but you should be going into the first corner at a speed that sets you up for the next corner
>turning will decrease your speed
>going up hill will decrease your speed

This website's pretty good
drivingfast.net/tackling-corners/

>(inside, outside, inside)
Outside, inside, outside.

in simulators, and then take the car to the track. you'll be suprised how well theory gained in sims transfers to reality. not just line, but things like calm and clear driving when you're near other drivers (overtaking, being overtaken, holding line).

source: i'm playing racing sims and i took my car on track day. i was overtaking more powerful cars and it was insanely fun overall

>80mph hard turn
you dead already son

go to rural road
crash into hedge or ditch-/-ravine
vimeo.com/145242864
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadcraft

Skip barbers going fast is the best intro on YouTube.

Then join your car club Bmw Porsche mustang etc.

Sign up for track day in the noob category and they will give you an instructor. Drive a stint at 50 then ask him to take you out in his car.

Sims also help practice the theory though you don't feel the force or the road in a sim.

Play vidya games

go to your local mountain top and try to go downhill as fast as you can. to see whether or not your driving is balanced, you should install a cupholder and see if you can drive without spilling water

I'd imagine that doing a lot of organized racing in VR would help the most, and get you used to how a helmet restricts your vision

This
I'm one of best racers I've ever known because I started out like this.

You gotta be fucking kidding me. Playing with fucking Hot Wheels would better prepare you than a goddamn game.
>get you used to how a helmet restricts your vision
Ah yes, the single most difficult obstacle in becoming a race car driver. Wearing a helmet.

>modern sims calculate tyre heat independently for many little sectors of tyre
>modern sims take in calculations things like wind, brake heat, amount of rubber left by other cars on track, various less obvious surface properties
>car handling models are often developed by professional racing teams, based on lots of real data
>even better, racing teams are often using old sims like rfactor to test how new part would affect performance before actually developing it, cutting development costs
>but this user here would rather play with hot wheels
i guess you're allowed to have any opinion you want, even wrong one

otherwise worthless unresearched nfs racer advice.
Stay at home benchracer

>learn the racing line (inside, outside, inside),
I am assuming you got confused and wanted to say the opposite, otherwise you really are retarded.

>scandinavian flick
Ah yes, the classic Scandinavian flick, very useful for track driving

>braking too hard in a corner will cause you to oversteer
>going into a corner too fast will cause you to understeer
It entirely depends on how the car was balanced (most stock cars are tuned to be naturally understeering from the factory because of safety), but usually if you are braking hard when you are entering the turn, you will understeer because you are overloading the front tires (braking force + "turning force") far more than they can handle. Understeer is far more common during turn in than oversteer.

>turning too sharply will cause you to understeer (or oversteer, depending on the car)
Also driving fast will cause you to crash, or not, eating a lot will cause you to get fat, or maybe not, it depends. Oh, I also heard that smoking gives you cancer, or not, it really depends on the person. Great advice.

>if there're no straights to brake in, use corners to set each other up
Oh, wasn't I supposed to just stop the car in the grass and ask for a tow truck to leave if I see two corners right next to each other?

>you should be going into the first corner at a speed that sets you up for the next corner
Ah damn, all those times I just gunned the first corner and couldn't understand why I ended up plowing through a sand trap at the next one, thanks for reminding me I should enter a turn at an appropriate speed.

>turning will decrease your speed
>going up hill will decrease your speed
Is this advice or are you just trying to make you sound smarter by having a bigger list of things to post?

OP asked for mid/advanced tips and you just posted the novel equivalent of "lol don't crash"
Please stop giving people driving advices ever.

youtube.com/watch?v=xQRmYMlmdqM

myself I personally think you can learn a lot from sim games but yeah a helmet is not an issue